I put this together during the NFC Championship game. Here’s what I learned.
– Ted Ginn’s injury during the Saint’s game was more disastrous than anyone could have imagined.
– Kyle Williams has joined the 49er pantheon, but not in a good way. On the other hand, how they handle adversity shows the true character of a team.
– The 49ers really need an elite receiver for next season and Michael Crabtree ain’t it.
Back to colleges
– Until the mid-19th century, both Cambridge and Oxford were a group of colleges with a small central university administration, rather than universities in the common sense. Cambridge has 31 colleges and Oxford has 38 colleges and six permanent private halls.
– Almost all our early college graduates became ministers. The only exceptions were a couple of aristocrats.
– There were so many colleges to chose at Cambridge and Oxford that only a few of ancestors attended the same college.
– Many of the historic buildings at Cambridge and Oxford were built in the 16th and 17th centuries while our ancestor were in attendance. We can walk the same halls today that they did centuries ago.
– Queens’ College is part of Cambridge and Queen’s College is part of Oxford. Both Cambridge and Oxford have a St. John’s College
– Many more of our immigrant ancestors attended Cambridge than Oxford. East Anglia was the centre of what became the Puritan movement and at Cambridge, it was particularly strong at Emmanuel, St Catharine’s Hall, Sidney Sussex and Christ’s College. They produced many “non-conformist” graduates who greatly influenced, by social position or pulpit, the approximately 20,000 Puritans who left for New England and especially the Massachusetts Bay Colony during the Great Migration decade of the 1630s.
– Normal Schools certified school teachers in the 1800’s and early 1900’s. They evolved into the State Universities of today.
Here’s our college graduates sorted by graduation.
1263 – John de BALLLIOL ( – 1268) [Our ancestor in the xx generation See Henri I’s page for details] was a leading figure of Scottish and Anglo-Norman life of his time. Balliol College, in Oxford, is named after him.
In 1233, Lord John married Dervorguilla of Galloway and Scotland, who was the daughter of Alan, Lord of Galloway and Margaret of Huntingdon. By the mid-thirteenth century, he and his wife had become very wealthy, principally as a result of inheritances from Dervorguilla’s family. This wealth allowed Balliol to play a prominent public role, and, on Henry III‘s instruction, he served as joint protector of the young king of Scots,Alexander III. He was one of Henry III’s leading counsellors between 1258 and 1265. and was appointed Sheriff of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire from 1261 to 1262. He was captured at the Battle of Lewes in 1264 but escaped and rejoined King Henry.
Following a dispute with the Bishop of Durham, he agreed to provide funds for scholars studying at Oxford. Support for a house of students began in around 1263; further endowments after his death, supervised by Dervorguilla, resulted in the establishment of Balliol College.
Traditionally, the undergraduates are amongst the most politically active in the university, and the college’s alumni include three former prime ministers. H. H. Asquith (a Balliol undergraduate and British Prime Minister) once wryly described Balliol men as possessing “the tranquil consciousness of an effortless superiority.” Adam Smith, a graduate student of the college, is perhaps its best known alumnus.
c. 1550 Oxford – Thomas BROMLEY began his legal career at the Inner Temple where his father, a distinguished lawyer, had been reader. While still at Oxford, and before his marriage, he was twice returned to Parliament, sitting in Mary I‘s last for a local family borough, and in Elizabeth‘s first for Wigan, a duchy of Lancaster borough not infrequently represented by lawyers.
He was an English lord chancellor. His daughter Elizabeth inherited his entire estate and married our Sir Oliver CROMWELL In 1566 he was appointed recorder of London, and in 1569 he became solicitor-general. . His first considerable case was in 1571, when he was of counsel for the crown on the trial of the Duke of Norfolk for high treason, on which occasion he had the conduct of that part of the case which rested on Ridolfi’s message On the death of Sir Nicholas Bacon in 1579 he was appointed lord chancellor. He presided over the commission which tried Mary, Queen of Scots, in 1586, but the strain of the trial and the responsibility of ordering the execution of a monarch proved too much for his strength, and he died soon after. He was buried in Westminster Abbey.
1561 – University of Pavia – Pascasius Justus TURCQ wandered through Europe and studied literature at the unversities of Rome, Bologna, Padua, and Pavia. In his time he was known a gifted and civilized man, a perfect humanist. He was often seen as a guest at the royal courts of Europe. In Pavia, in the year 1561 he wrote his best known book: Pascasii Justi de Alea, sive de curanda ludendi in pecuniam cupiditate (The game of dice by Pascasius Justus from Eeklo, Doctor of Philosophy and Medicine, being two books discussing a way to cure people from the passion of playing for money). The book was printed in Basel Switzerland, reprinted in 1616 in Frankfurt Germany and again in Amsterdam in 1642.
1569 B.A. St. John’s College, Cambridge University – Rev. Leonard METCALF was early educated at Sedburgh School, matriculated in the College of St. John’s, Cambridge University, in 1563/64 and received his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1568/69. Leonard became Rector of the Parish of Tatterford in Norfolk in 1574 and Vicar of West Barsham in Norfolk in 1603 where he remained until his death.
1571- Christ’s College Cambridge – Francis MARBURY matriculated, but is not known to have graduated. About 1571, Francis Marbury began to teach and preach at the church in Northampton near the estate of his future wife Bridget Dryden.
Christ’s College grew from God’s House founded in 1437 on land now occupied by King’s College Chapel. It received its first royal licence in 1446. It moved to its present site in 1448 when it received its second royal licence. It was renamed Christ’s College and received its present charter in 1505 when it was endowed and expanded by Lady Margaret Beaufort, mother of King Henry VII.
The original 15th/16th century college buildings now form part of First Court, including the chapel, Master’s Lodge and Great Gate tower. The gate itself is disproportionate: the bottom has been cut off to accommodate a rise in street level, which can also be seen in the steps leading down to the foot of L staircase in the gate tower.
1573/74 B.A. 1577 M.A. Queens’ College, Cambridge George DOWNING He was Master of the Grammer School, Ipswich for twenty-one years from 1589 to 1610. Ipswich School is a co-educational public school for girls and boys aged 3 to 18. Situated in Suffolk, England in the town of Ipswich, it was founded in its current form as The King’s School, Ipswich by Thomas Wolsey in 1528.
1574/75 B.A.; 1578 M.A. – Christ’s College, Cambridge – Rev. Henry DILLINGHAM Ordained Deacon and Priest 1581; Rector of Cotesbach 1581; died there December 1625.
1577 B.A. Magdalen College, Oxford Sir Erasmus Dryden 1st Baronet (1553-1632) (Wikipedia) Son of John DRYDEN. In 1571 aged 18 Erasmus entered Magdalen College and was demy from 1571 to 1575 and fellow from 1575 to 1580, being awarded BA on 11 June, 1577. In 1577, he was student of the Middle Temple.
Two of John’s descendants were literary stars of the 17th and 18th Centuries. He was great grandfather of John Dryden (1631 – 1700) and the 2nd great grandfather of Jonathan Swift (1667 – 1745).
1577 B.A. Queens’ College, Cambridge – Rev. Thomas STOUGHTON graduated from Queen’s College, Cambridge, England in 1577, with a Bachelor of Arts degree. He was made a Fellow of Queen’s College in 1579, and got his MA there in 1580. On 4 Apr 1606 Thomas was removed from his vicarage at St Peter ad Vincula Church (St. Peter in chains) in Coggeshall, Essex. It is speculated that this was for non-conformity.
Queens’ College is among the older and larger colleges of the University of Cambridge. The college was founded in 1448 by Margaret of Anjou (the Queen of Henry VI), and refounded in 1465 by Elizabeth Woodville (the Queen of Edward IV). This dual foundation is reflected in its orthography: Queens’, not Queen’s. The college spans both sides of the river Cam, colloquially referred to as the “light side” and the “dark side”, with the Mathematical Bridge connecting the two.
1579 – Comm from Queens’ College, Cambridge – Admitted at Lincoln’s Inn, May 12, 1582.- Sir Oliver CROMWELL (1563 – 1658) was uncle and godfather to the famous Oliver Cromwell, known for his involvement in making England into a republican Commonwealth and for his later role as Lord Protector of England and Scotland. However, Sir Oliver lost all his wealth supporting the Royalist side.
During the 12th and 13th century, the law was taught in the City of London primarily by the clergy. During the 13th century two events happened which destroyed this form of legal education: first, a decree by Henry III of England on 2 December 1234 that no institutes of legal education could exist in the City of London, and secondly a papal bull that prohibited the clergy from teaching the common law, rather than canon law. As a result the system of legal education fell apart. The common lawyers migrated to the hamlet of Holborn, the nearest place to the law courts at Westminster Hall that was outside the City.
As with the other Inns of Court, the precise date of founding of Lincoln’s Inn is unknown. The Inn can claim the oldest records – its “black books” documenting the minutes of the governing Council go back to 1422.
Admissions were recorded in the black books and divided into two categories; Clerks (Clerici) admitted to Clerks’ Commons and Fellows Socii admitted to Fellows’ Commons. All entrants swore the same oath regardless of category, and some Fellows were permitted to dine in Clerks’ Commons as it cost less, making it difficult for academics to sometimes distinguish between the two — indeed Walker, the editor of the Black Books, maintains that the two categories were one and the same. During the 15th century the Fellows began to be called Masters, and the gap between Masters and Clerks gradually grew, with an order in 1505 that no Master was to be found in Clerks’ Commons unless studying a point of law there. By 1466 the Fellows were divided into Benchers, those at the Bar (ad barram, also known as utter barristers or simply barristers) and those not at the Bar (extra barram). By 1502 the extra barram Fellows were being referred to as “inner barristers”, in contrast to the “utter” or “outer” barristers.
1580 M.A. Queen’s College, Cambridge – Rev. Thomas STOUGHTON and was vicar of Coggeshall, Essex, from 1600 to 1606.
1583 B.A., 1586 M.A. Trinity Hall, University of Cambridge – Rev. William EDDY (1559 – 1616) matriculated as “sizar” at Trinity Hall. (A sizar is one who performs certain duties in part payment of his expenses at a school or college.) In 1586 he received the degree of Master of Arts – “magister in artibus” as he records it on the Register at Cranbrook. William Eddye was Vicar of St. Dunstan Church at Cranbrook, Kent, England from 1591 to 1616.
Trinity Hall is a constituent college of the University of Cambridge, England. It is the fifth-oldest college of the university, having been founded in 1350 by William Bateman, Bishop of Norwich.
Historically, Trinity Hall was known for being strong in Law; today, it has strengths not only in Law but across a range of academic subjects across the sciences, arts and humanities. Situated on the River Cam, nested between Clare College and Trinity College, the college is known for its friendly and unpretentious atmosphere. It is a relatively small institution when compared to its larger but younger neighbour, Trinity College, founded in 1546. At first all colleges in Cambridge were known as Halls or Houses (e.g., Pembroke College was called Pembroke Hall) and then later changed their names from Hall to College. However, when Henry VIII founded Trinity College, Cambridge next door, it became clear that Trinity Hall would continue being known as a Hall. This is also why it is incorrect to call it Trinity Hall College, although Trinity Hall college (lower case) is, strictly speaking, accurate.
Feb 1586 – St. John’s College, Oxford – Rev. Stephen BACHILLER began his studies at Oxford, St John’s College in 1581 and graduated with a B.A. in Feb 1586. Bachiller (Wikipedia) was an English clergyman who was an early proponent of the separation of church and state in America.
On 1 May 1555, Sir Thomas White, lately Lord Mayor of London, obtained a Royal Patent of Foundation to create an eleemosynary institution for the education of students within the University of Oxford. White, a Roman Catholic, originally intended St John’s to provide a source of educated Roman Catholic clerics to support the Counter-Reformation under Queen Mary, and indeed Edmund Campion, the Roman Catholic martyr, studied here.
White acquired buildings on the east side of St Giles’, north of Balliol andTrinity Colleges, which had belonged to the former College of St Bernard, a monastery and house of study of the Cistercian order that had been closed during the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Initially the new St John’s College was rather small and not well endowed financially. During the reign of Elizabeth I the fellows lectured in rhetoric, Greek, and dialectic, but not directly in theology. However, St John’s initially had a strong focus on the creation of a proficient and educated priesthood. White was Master of the Merchant Taylors’ Company, and established a number of educational foundations, including the Merchant Taylors’ School. Although the College was closely linked to such institutions for many centuries, it became a more open society in the later 19th century.
1590 – Reverend John HOWSE matriculated at St John’s College,Cambridge. He is listed in the Alumni Cantabrigienes as such with the further note that he was rector at Eastwell, Kent in 1610. He served as rector of the parish at St Mary’s Church, Eastwell, Kent from 1603, until his death in 1630.
1597 – A.B., 1602 A.M. Oxford Unversity – Sarah HOBART’s first husband the Reverend John Lyford (ca. 1580-1634) was a controversial figure during the early years of the Plymouth Colony. After receiving degrees from Oxford, he became pastor at Leverlegkish, near Laughgaid, Armagh, Ireland. He was the first ordained minister to come to the Plymouth Colony. He arrived in 1624 aboard the Charity and pretended to be sympathetic to the Separatist movement there, while in reality he was allied with the Church of England
1599 A.B. 1603 A.M. Magdalene College, Cambridge – Rev. Robert PECK. He was set apart to the ministry, inducted over the church at Hingham, Norfolk County, England, January 8, 1605, where he remained until 1638. when he fled from the persecutions of the church to America after the crackdown by Archbishop Laud.
c. 1600 – Sizar – St John’s College, University of Cambridge – Rev. Timothy DALTON had been a sizar (One of a body of students in the universities of Cambridge, who, having passed a certain examination, are exempted from paying college fees and charges. A sizar corresponded to a servitor at Oxford. The sizar paid nothing for food and tuition, and very little for lodging. They formerly waited on the table at meals; but this is done away with. They were probably so called from being thus employed in distributing the size, or provisions.) at St. John’s College, Cambridge and the Rector of Wolverstone Timothy immigrated to New Hampshire before 1636 and founded a Church called the Church of Jesus Christ in Hampton, New Hampshire.
1605 M.A. Queen’s College Oxford – Thomas WEST 3rd Baron de la Warr (1577 – 1618) (Wikipedia) was the Englishman after whom the bay, the river, and, consequently, an American Indian people and U.S. state, all later called “Delaware“, were named.
The Queen’s College, founded 1341, by Robert de Eglesfield, chaplain to Queen Philippa of Hainault (the wife of King Edward III of England); hence its name. Whilst the name of Queens’ College, Cambridge is plural, the Oxford college is singular, and is written with the definite article.
1605 B.A. 1609 M.A. Queens’ College Cambridge Rev. John LATHROP matriculated in 1601, graduated with a BA in 1605, and with an MA in 1609. He was an English Anglican clergyman and dissident, who became a Congregationalist minister and emigrant to New England. He was the founder of Barnstable, Massachusetts.
1606 B.A. Christ’s College, Cambridge – Rev. Henry Scudder, son of Henry SCUDDER. Henry began a life as a Puritan minister. He first served as vicar at Drayton, Oxfordshire. Then in 1633 he became the rector of St. Andrew parish at Collingbourne-Ducis, a village on the River Bourne, near Marlborough, Wiltshire, where he served the remainder of his life. During this time, he wrote a number of devotional works, one of which, “The Christian’s Daily Walke in Holy Securitie and Peace,” was used by churchgoers for close to 200 years.
1607 – Emmanuel College, Cambridge, – Thomas STOUGHTON’s son John Stoughton was admitted sizer at Emmanuel College on 23 Apr 1607. A sizer is a student who received an allowance toward college expenses and who originally acted as a servant to other students in return for this allowance. John Stoughton served as a minister in Aller, Somerset, England and at Aldermanbury in London.
Emmanuel College was founded in 1584 by Sir Walter Mildmay on the site of a Dominican friary. Mildmay, a Puritan, originally intended Emmanuel to be a college of training for Protestant preachers to rival the successful Catholic theological schools that had trained Dominican friars for years. Of the first 100 university graduates in New England, one-third were graduates of Emmanuel College. Harvard University, the first college in The United States, was named after John Harvard (B.A., 1632), who was an Emmanuel graduate. Emmanuel still has some theological students, but has broadened itself to include students of a wide variety of subjects. Emmanuel College opened its doors to female students in 1979.
c. 1610 Gray’s Inn – It is believed that John BENJAMIN and Governor John Winthrop were friends due to attending Cambridge University and Gray’s Inn, and that is why John came to America. That may be true, though I haven’t seen definitive proof John Benjamin’s attendance. After John’s Cambridg, Mass. mansion burned down in 1636, he donated the land to help form Harvard University.
1610/11 B.A. Trinity College, Cambridge; 1614 M.A. Queens’ College, Cambridge – Rev. Joseph DOWNING – Joseph was attending Cambridge University when his parents both passed away. The town of Ipswich paid £5 to help with his schooling. He received his Bachelor of Arts at Trimity College, Cambridge, 1610-11, and his Master of Arts at Queens’ College in 1614. The Cambridge alumni records state that he was Rector of St. Stephen’s, Ipswich, in 1626 and Rector of Layer Marney, Essex, 1628-46. In 1616 Joseph’s brother Nathaniel died, and in his will he gave Joseph £20.
Like its sister college, Christ Church,Oxford, Trinity College is traditionally considered the most aristocratic college of its university, and has generally been the college of choice of the Royal Family.
The college was founded by Henry VIII in 1546, from the merger of two existing colleges: Michaelhouse (founded by Hervey de Stanton in 1324), and King’s Hall (established by Edward II in 1317 and refounded by Edward III in 1337). At the time, Henry had been seizing church lands from abbeys and monasteries. The universities ofOxford and Cambridge, being both religious institutions and quite rich, expected to be next in line. The king duly passed an Act of Parliamentthat allowed him to suppress (and confiscate the property of) any college he wished. The universities used their contacts to plead with his sixth wife, Catherine Parr. The queen persuaded her husband not to close them down, but to create a new college. The king did not want to use royal funds, so he instead combined two colleges (King’s Hall and Michaelhouse) and seven hostels (Physwick (formerly part of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge), Gregory’s, Ovyng’s, Catherine’s, Garratt, Margaret’s, and Tyler’s) to form Trinity.
Contrary to popular belief, the monastic lands supplied by Henry VIII were alone insufficient to ensure Trinity’s eventual rise. In terms of architecture and royal association, it was not until the Mastership of Thomas Nevile (1593–1615) that Trinity assumed both its spaciousness and courtly association with the governing class that distinguished it until the Civil War.
c. 1620 – Inns of Court – With the intention of preparing Rev. Henry Whitfield for the bar, his family furnished him with a liberal education. He attended the university of Oxford first and then attended the Inns of Court. (A prestigious finishing school for gentlemen). In 1639, Henry resigned as Rector of St Margaret’s Church in Ockley and led a group of 25 families to America.
The Inns of Court in London are the professional associations for barristers in England and Wales. All such barristers must belong to one such association. They have supervisory and disciplinary functions over their members. The Inns also provide libraries, dining facilities and professional accommodation. Each also has a church or chapel attached to it and is a self-contained precinct where barristers traditionally train and practise, although growth in the legal profession, together with a desire to practise from more modern accommodation caused many barristers’ chambers to move outside the precincts of the Inns of Court in the late 20th century.
Several centuries ago the Inns of Court were any of a sizable number of buildings or precincts where barristers traditionally lodged, trained and carried on their profession. Over the centuries the number of active Inns of Court was reduced to the present four:
1625 B.A., 1629 M.A. – Magdalen College, Cambridge – Edmund HOBART‘s son Rev. Peter Hobart was the first minister of the Hingham congregation who built Old Ship Church in Hingham, Massachusetts. Assisting Hobart in the foundation of the congregation was [our ancestor] Rev. Robert PECK, Hobart’s senior and formerly rector of St Andrew’s Church in Hingham, Norfolk. [See Robert’s page for the story of their dissent in England.]
Magdalene College was founded in 1428 as a Benedictine hostel, in time coming to be known as Buckingham College, before being refounded in 1542 as the College of St Mary Magdalene. Magdalene College has some of the grandest benefactors including Britain’s premier noble the Duke of Norfolk, the Duke of Buckingham and Lord Chief Justice Sir Christopher Wray. However the refoundation was largely the work of Sir Thomas Audley, Lord Chancellor under Henry VIII. Audley also gave the College its motto — garde ta foy (“keep your faith”). Audley’s successors in the Mastership and as benefactors of the College were, however, prone to dire ends; several benefactors were arraigned at various stages on charges of high treason and executed. The College’s most famous alumnus is Samuel Pepys.
1630’s Merchant Taylor’s School, City of London, attended by Ephraim KEMPTON Jr. (1621 – 1655) where his brother John enrolled in 1630-1634. The brothers appear as ‘john Kempton ma’ and ‘Ephriam kempton minor,” the time honored way in which English private schools distinguish between two brothers attending the same school, major indicating the elder of the two; not seen thereafter.
The school is celebrating its 450th anniversary in 2011. It was founded in 1561 by members of the Merchant Taylors’ Company. It was originally located in a manor house called the Manor of the Rose, in the parish of St. Lawrence Pountney in the City of London, where it remained until 1875.
In 1606 Robert Dow, a member of the Company, instigated the process of “probation” or inspection, whereby the Court would visit the school three times each year and observe the school at work. Dow was concerned that the school was not meeting the challenge of being one of the great schools of the time and needed regular inspection to maintain and raise its standards. The Court appointed a committee to investigate and concluded:
|“||Being situate neere the middest of this honourable and renowned citty is famous throughout all England …First, for number of schollers, it is the greateste schoole included under one roofe. Secondly, the schollers are taught jointly by one master and three ushers. Thirdly it is a schoole for liberty most free, being open especially for poore men’s children, as well of all nations, as for the merchauntailors themselves.||”|
The probation was imposed without consultation with the schoolmasters. During the probation, the headmaster was required to open his copy of Cicero at random and read out a passage to the Sixth form. The boys had to copy the passage from dictation and then translate it, first into English, then into Greek and then into Latin verse. After this, they had to write a passage of Latin and some verses on some topic chosen for the day. This was for the morning; in the afternoon the process was repeated in Greek, based on the Greek Testament, Aesop’s Fables, “or some other very easie Greeke author”. The standard in Greek was not as high as in Latin, but Hebrew was also taught.
This form of inspection was the model for teaching every day, as neither mathematics nor science were included in the curriculum. The pattern of teaching seen in the Probations at MTS was described in a popular work published in 1660, A New Discovery of the Art of Teaching Schoole by Charles Hoole. Hoole described the nature of education at the time:
- 6.00 a.m. was considered the time for children to start their studies but 7.00 a.m. was more common;
- Pupils of upper forms were appointed to give lessons to younger ones;
- Pupils were required to examine each other in pairs; and
- Children frequently went to ‘Writing-schooles’ at the end of the school day, the purpose of which was to ‘learn a good hand’. Good handwriting was supposed to be a condition of entry to a school like MTS but Hayne for one tended to ignore it and was eventually dismissed for, among other things, low standards of hand writing. In Germany at this time there were Writing Schools too and many citizens attended only these in order to learn sufficient skills for commerce and trade; English businessmen founded schools which encouraged an academic curriculum based on the classics.
The Head Master William Hayne (1599–1624) presided over the new methods of examination, but his success did not save him from dismissal for purported financial misdemeanours. He was said to have sold text books to pupils for profit, and received gifts of money at the end of term and on Shrove Tuesday, when the ‘Victory Penny’ might be presented by pupils.
William Staple (Head Master 1634-1644) fell victim to contemporary politics. In October 1643 Parliament ordered “That the Committee for plundered Ministers shall have power to enquire after malignant School-masters.” In March 1644 Staple was ordered to appear before this committee, but as a royalist, he had no intention of so doing. He was dismissed and the Company had to seek a new headmaster.
1657 M.A. – New Inn Hall (St. Peter’s College), Oxford – Thomas STRONG’s son James Stronge matriculated April 8, 1636, age 17, M.A. in July 7, 1657 – Rev. John Pitt, Vicar of Chardstock (1627-1645), Warden of Wadham College, Oxford befriended James Stronge ”a poor tailor of Chardstock who wrought for a groat a day, his pottage and bread and cheese”. Rev. Pitt sent him to New Inn College, Oxford. John Pitt also became the leader of the dissident heads of houses who denied the authority of the Parliamentary Commissioners during the Civil War, so John and James were on opposite sides during the English Civil War. In 1645, James returned to Chardstock and turned his mentor out of the vicarage and carried off his books and goods to his own living.
Will of Rev. James Stronge, dated 26 Feb 1694, proved 20 Jun, 1694
…. 50 shillings to be bestowed on a salt which I give to New Inne Hall in Oxford…. 5 pounds to be bestowed in 20 bibles of 5 shillings each to the poor people….poor children or other of Curry Rivell and Ruishton
St Peter’s College is one of the constituent colleges of Oxford located in New Inn Hall Street. It occupies the site of two of the University’s oldest Inns, or medieval hostels – Bishop Trellick‘s, later New Inn Hall, and Rose Hall – both of which were founded in the 13th century and were part of the University in their own right. During the First English Civil War, the University’s college plate was requisitioned by the King’s Oxford Parliament and taken to New Inn Hall to be melted down into “Oxford Crowns”.
1665 – Harvard College – Rev. Samuel Mann son-in-law of Robert WARE . Mann was the first minister of Wrentham, Mass.
1701 – Major James FITCH supplied money, land and materials to help found a church college in New Haven, Connecticut that was to become Yale College. Fitch Gateway in the Harkness Quadrangle memorializes James Fitch.
1765 – Benjamin COLEMAN’s son Dudley Coleman graduated from Harvard.
5 Aug 1838 – Miami University – Rev. David McCaw, son of Jame McCAW. David’s educational advantages in early life were limited to the old field schools of his day, but being anxious to secure a collegiate education, he entered Miami University, and graduated from that institution August 5, 1838.
The foundations for Miami University were first laid by an Act of Congress signed by President George Washington, stating that an academy should be located Northwest of the Ohio River in the Miami Valley. At its opening on 1 Nov 1824, there were twenty students and two faculty members in addition to the College President. The curriculum included Greek, Latin, Algebra, Geography, and Roman history. An “English Scientific Department” was begun in 1825 which studied modern languages, applied mathematics, and political economy as training for more practical professions. In 1839 Old Miami reached its enrollment peak, with 250 students from 13 states; only Harvard, Yale, and Dartmouth were larger. By 1873, enrollment had fallen to 87 students and the board of trustees closed the school and leased the campus for a grammar school. The period prior to its closing is referred to as “Old Miami”. The university re-opened in 1885, having paid all of its debts and repaired many of its buildings.
David McCaw joined the Church at Hopewell, Ohio, under the pastorate of the Rev. Joseph Claybaugh. In the fall of 1841 he was received as a student of theology by the First Presbytery, A. R. P. Church, in Mecklenburg Co., N. C, and studied theology in Erskine Theological Seminary at Due West, S. C He was licensed and ordained in 1842 by the First Presbytery. During 1841 and 1842 he was tutor in Erskine College, and in the fall of 1842 was elected a professor in the College, in which capacity he was retained until the fall of 1848, when he resigned. He is the author of the Motto of Erskine College,
“Scientia cum moribus conjuncta.” [Knowledge United with Morals]
Erskine College still exists as a small four year, Christian liberal arts college located in Due West, South Carolina. It is highly ranked for academic quality. Erskin was established by the Associate Reformed Synod of the South as an academy for men, Erskine College became the first four year, church-related college in South Carolina in 1839. It was named for Ebenezer Erskine, one of the founders of the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church and a pastor. Erskine had led a group of separatists from the Church of Scotland to found a separate Associate Presbytery. While the college has always employed a Professor of Divinity, its theological branch became a distinct but affiliated school, the Erskine Theological Seminary.
Sep 1852 – Leigh Richmond Webber, son of Oliver WEBBER, entered Colby College in the Sophomore class. In scholarship, one of the best of a superior class.
1855-56. Taught in New Portland, Me.
1856-57. Taught in Troy, Orleans Co., Vermont.
1858, April. Removed to Lawrence, Kansas, and engaged for three years in teaching and farming.
3 June 1861 – Enlisted as a Private in Company D, 1st Infantry Regiment Kansas.
10 Aug 1861 – Wounded in action Wilson’s Creek, Mo.
16 Jun 1864 – Mustered Out Company D, 1st Infantry Regiment Kansas
Jul 1864 – Returned to Maine, broken down In health by hardships of military life.
11 Oct 1865 – Committed to Hospital for the Insane, at Augusta.
5 Jan 1866 – Died of consumption, at Insane Hospital, Augusta. He did not marry.
c. 1858 = Ellen Celeste WEBBER was educated in a New England “Female Seminary” and wrote beautifully and expressed herself elegantly. Since her family disapproved of her marrying Guilford Dudley COLEMAN, my grandmother believed they eloped when they emigrated to Minnesota.
1858 – Emma Webber, twin of Ellen Celeste WEBBER and daughter of Oliver WEBBER was a student at Maine State Seminary Students ( now Bates College, a liberal arts college located in Lewiston, Maine. Emma appears in this 1858 list of students is from the Bates College (Maine State Seminary) Catalogue from 1858.
Founded in 1855, Bates was New England’s first coeducational college. The founders of Bates were active abolitionists, and several of the college’s earliest students were former slaves. The college was originally called the Maine State Seminary and replaced the Parsonsfield Seminary, which burned under mysterious circumstances in 1854.
1880 – Oshkosh State Normal School (now University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh) – State Teaching Certificate – Frank Nelson MILLER
In 1871 the school opened as Oshkosh State Normal School, Wisconsin’s third teacher-training school. Oshkosh Normal was the first state normal school in the United States to have a kindergarten.
F. N. Miller Educational Work
Student, Oshkosh State Normal 1878-80
Received Educational Diploma, 5 yr State Certificate
Teacher country school 9 mos. 1880-81
Teacher country school 9 mos. 1881-82
Teacher Oconto City school, 10 mo. 1882-83 (there was an Indian scare while George was teaching there)
Principal Chippewa County High School 1883-85
Graduated from Oshkosh Business College 1885
Student, Oshkosh State Normal 1885-87
Received Diploma – State High School Life Certificate
Principal South Kaukanna Schools 1887-88
Superindent of Schools Winnebago County 1889-90
Principal Milwaukee County High School 1891
Principal Fresno County 1891-95
Chairman of all Committees of arrangement for entertainment of State Teachers’ Association at Fresno Holidays of 1892. Toastmaster at the banquet. Personally prepared all toasts, quotations and banquet and souvenir cards
Member of Committee on Resolutions at Stockton Holidays, 1893 S.T.A.
Vice President S.T.A. 1896
Principal, Commercial High School San Diego 1895-1902
Principal, Willows High School 1902 – 1903
Frank was Principal at the San Diego Commercial High School in 1897 when his son Henry was born. According to family legend, he held a contest at school to pick Henry’s middle name. Guess what name the kids chose? — Commercial! The commercial department was in the Montezuma building on F street. It was merged with the old Russ High School (future San Diego High School) in 1902.
1885 – California State Normal School; – Agnes Genevieve HENRY graduated in the 28th class
Wedding Announcement Fresno Republican 5 Jan 1896
The Two Popular Teachers Married in This City
… Mr. and Mrs. Miller left on last evening’s train for San Diego where they will make their home. Miss. Agnes Henry has been a teacher in the schools of this county for the past ten years, six in the schools of this city. During this time she has gained a wide circle of friends besides establishing a reputation as a successful teacher.
1893 – Montana State College – When Howard Irwin SHAW’s father died, the family moved to Bozeman, Montana where Howard was a member of the first class at Montana State College. After his education as a mining engineer, we went to work at the mines in Gilt Edge where he met Nellie who was visiting her sister Eleanor. They drove in a blizzard to Lewistown to be married. The story of Gilt Edge is told on my Western Pioneers page.
c. 1920 J.D. UP Law School – Eusebio M LOPEZ
1915 – California State Normal School, San Jose today’s San Jose State – Teaching Credential- Horace Horton BLAIR
After 1887 the official name of the San Jose campus was the “State Normal School at San Jose”. The school’s athletic teams initially played under the “Normal” identity with a big “N” on their sports uniforms. But they gradually shifted to the State Normal School identity, as evidenced by images of the SNS football and basketball squads in the teens. Despite the SNS identity the school continued to be referred to as the “California State Normal School, San Jose” in official publications at least through 1919.
Horton obtained his Masters Degree from UC Berkeley in 1929 on the subject of Population Trends in San Diego. Horton said there was a time when his prediction looked very good. He finished a career of 41 years of teaching as Vice Principal of Roosevelt excluding four years, two in the sevice and two at UC Berkeley.
In 1862, by act of the California legislature, Minns’ Evening Normal School became the California State Normal School and graduated 54 women from a three-year program. The school eventually moved to San Jose in 1871 and was given Washington Square Park at Fourth and San Carlos Streets, where the campus remains to this day.
1920 – University of Oregon – Did not graduate – Fay Everett MINER (1900 – 1982)- He was tall, for his time, good looking and a fine athlete. His son Everett still has a key chain size gold basketball that was awarded to him as a member of a championship basketball team. He attended Oregon University on a scholarship to play basketball. He loved motorcycles and cars. He was very quick whited and smart, like his father, and unlike his brother
1921 – UC Berkeley – Did not graduate Eleanor Coleman SHAW
1922 – B.A. UC Berkeley – Genevieve MILLER
1951 – B.S. UCLA – Everett MINER
1952 B.A. UCLA/UC Berkeley; 1972 M.A. San Diego State University – Nancy BLAIR
1981 B.A. Pomona College – Mark MINER
2004 B.A. UC Berkeley – – Guadalupe VILLA VELASQUEZ
2011 B.S. 2012 M.Eng. Cornell Univesity – Alex MINER
This is the most amazing genealogy blog I have ever seen. I could spend hours on your site. We have ancestors in common, Evert Pels is one. I’d love to put one together for my families, they are currently housed on ancestry.com. One thing I’d love to know is how you do your tables, the ones that list the various children. I am a WordPress blogger myself and could really use tables like that for other blogs that I do. Thanks so much!
Pingback: Favorite Posts 2012 | Miner Descent
Pingback: Our Illiterate Backwoods Preacher from Maine | Miner Descent
Pingback: Favorite Posts 2013 | Miner Descent