Robert SMITH Sr. (1730 – 1787) was Alex’s 6th Great Grandfather, one of 128 in this generation of the Miner line.
Robert Smith was born in 1727 in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland.. His parents were James SMITH Sr. (b. 1694) and Janet DAVISON (b. 1704). He married Catherine WALLACE in 1753 in Montgomery Township, Franklin County, Pennsylvania. Robert died in 22 May 1787 in Montgomery, Franklin, Pennsylvania.
Sources state Catherine Wallace was born in 1731 Montgomery, Fayette, Pennsylvania. It seems more likely to me that she was born in Franklin County Pennsylvania or in Ireland. Catherine died in 1811 in Ohio. In Antrim Township, which embraced the territory now in Antrim, Washington and Quincy Townships, Franklin County, the taxables’ names in 1751/52 include John WALLACE.
Children of Robert and Catherine:
Alternatively, the children were all more in Londonerry, County Londonderry, Ulster, Ireland.
|1.||Samuel Smith||4 Nov 1758 Montgomery, Franklin, Pennsylvania||Elizabeth Gordon (Alexander’s and Sarah’s sister)
1786 Franklin, Pennsylvania
Alternatively Martha Howard
1785 in Montgomerey, Fayette, Pennsylvania
Cross Creek, Jefferson, Ohio
|2.||Robert Smith||abt. 1761 Londonderry, Ulster||Stayed in Ireland|
|3.||Margaret Smith||10 May 1764 Shady Grove, Franklin, Pennsylvania||Alexander Gordon (Elizabeth’s and Sarah’s brother)
1789 Franklin County, Pennsylvania
|3 Nov 1826 or
10 May 1826 Greencastle Antrim Township, Franklin, Pennsylvania
Welsh Run, Montgomery, Franklin, Pennsylvania
Montgomery, Franklin, Pennsylvania
|6.||William Jeremiah Smith||1766
Montgomery, Franklin, Pennsylvania
|Sarah Gordon (Alexander’s and Sarah’s sister)|
Montgomery, Franklin, Pennsylvania
|8.||Sarah Smith||abt. 1766 Londonderry, Ulster||Stayed in Ireland|
|9.||Ann SMITH||18 Mar 1768 Montgomery, Franklin, Pennsylvania||James SMITH
|13 Jan 1844 Preble, Ohio.|
|10.||John Smith||abt. 1768 Londonderry, Ulster||Stayed in Ireland|
Many genealogies state that Robert and Catherine’s children were born in Montgomery, Fayette, Pennsylvania, but I can find no such place or township in Fayette County. My suspicion is that error came from one place and has been repeated many times over. I think it more likely that this family started in Franklin County, Pennsylvania, then moved west to Fayette County Pennsylvania and adjacent Jefferson County Ohio by about 1800.
Fayette County was on the dangerous frontier during the time Robert’s Smith family was supposed to live there. In 1754, when ownership the area was still in dispute, 22-year-old George Washington fought against the French at Jumonville Glen and Fort Necessity. British forces under Washington and General Edward Braddock improved roads throughout the region, making the future Fayette County an important supply route. During the American Revolution, Fayette County was pllagued by attacks from British-allied Indians and remained an isolated frontier region. Also retarding settlement was a border dispute with Virginia; Virginia’s District of West Augusta and Pennsylvania’s Westmoreland County both claim the area. The dispute was not settled until 1780 in favor of Pennsylvania, and Fayette County was formed from Westmoreland County in 1783.
There is a Montgomery township in Franklin County, Pennsylvania however.
Welch Run where Oliver Smith is said to be born is in Montgomery Township, Franklin County.
Shady Grove where Margaret Smith is said to be born is in neighboring Antrim Township, Franklin County.
Greencastle where Margaret Smith died is in neighboring Antrim Township, Franklin, Pennsylvania. Greencastle was founded in 1782 by John Allison. The town was named after a small town in County Donegal, Ireland. It was originally composed of 246 lots. By 1790 there were about sixty houses in Greencastle, homes to approximately 400 people.
There is a Fayetteville CDP in Franklin County.
It’s possible there were two couples named Robert Smith and Catherine Wallace in 18th Century Pennsylvania and it’s also possible some of the children belong to different parents, but for the sake of a theory that meets the available facts, I’m going with Franklin County.
Franklin County lies to a large extent within the Cumberland Valley. Originally part of Lancaster County (1729), then Cumberland County (1750), Franklin County became an independent jurisdiction on September 9, 1784, named in honor of Founding Father Benjamin Franklin.
In 1741, the Lancaster Court of Quarter Sessions authorized the formation of Antrim Township, then part of Lancaster County. Early Antrim included most of the land in Franklin County, however, its original size was decreased as more Boroughs and Townships were formed. This land was part of Penns Woods, acquired in 1681 from the King of England. Ownership of this land was in dispute between Lord Baltimore and Penns Woods. The Court of England eventually hired Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon to survey the disputed area now known as the Mason-Dixon line. The area was a hunting and fishing grounds for various Indian tribes.
The region was then settled by Scotch-Irish (from Northern Ireland and Scotland) and German immigrants. Thereby the name “Antrim” is derived from a County in Ireland.
In the mid 1700s, several Indian attacks saw citizens massacred by raiding parties. One of the most well-documented incidents occurred in 1764 when teacher Enoch Brown and ten of his scholars were killed by three Indians during the Pontiac Rebellion following the French and Indian War. One Scholar, Archie McCullough, was scalped and left for dead. He regained consciousness and survived. Enoch Brown Park is now owned by the Township and houses a monument at the common grave of Mr. Brown and his pupils.
History of Franklin County – 1887
In the succeeding reign of Charles I (1625-49), a spirit of bitter retaliation was engendered, on the part of the native Irish, against this foreign element, resulting in a most deplorable condition of affairs. Incited by two ambitious and unscrupulous leaders, Roger More and Philim O’Neale, the Irish Catholics began, October 27, 1741, a massacre which continued until more than 40,000 victims were slaughtered.
Owing to these persecutions and others of similar nature during the succeeding century, owing to the want of religious toleration by the reigning powers, owing to their inability to renew their land rents with satisfactory terms and owing to the general freedom offered them by William Penn in his new American colony-free lands, free speech, free worship and free government–these Scotch settlers left the north of Ireland and came to America by thousands, where they are known as Scotch-Irish.
According to Watson, these “immigrants did not come to Pennsylvania as soon as the Germans,” few, if any arriving prior to 1719. The first arrivals usually settled near the disputed line between Maryland and Pennsylvania. James Logan (an intelligent and influential representative of the Penn government, and though of Irish extraction thoroughly in sympathy with the Quaker principles) complains, in 1724, to the proprietaries of these people as ‘bold and indigent strangers” because they had taken up lands near the disputed line without securing proper authority from him as the representative of the Government.
In 1725 he stated that at least 100,000 acres of land were possessed “by persons (including Germans) who resolutely set down and improved it without any right to it,” and that he was “much at a loss to determine how to dispossess them.” In 1728, 4,500 persons, chiefly from Ireland, arrived in New Castle. In 1729, Logan expressed his gratification that parliament was “about to take measures to prevent the too free emigration to this country,” intimating that the prospects were that Ireland was about “to send all her inhabitants hither, for last week not less than six ships arrived.” “It is strange,” continued he, “that they thus crowd where they are not wanted. The common fear is that if they continue to come, they will make themselves proprietors of the province.” In 1730 he again complains of them as “audacious and disorderly” for having, by force, taken possession of the Conestoga Manor, containing 15,000 acres of the “best land in the country.” Of this they were, by the sheriff, subsequently dispossessed and their cabins burned. About the same time, he says, in another letter, “I must own, from my own experience in the land office, that the settlement of five families from Ireland gives me more trouble than fifty of any other people.”
The captious spirit manifested by Logan against both German and Scotch-Irish settlers, and especially the latter, and which was subsequently shared, to some extent, by Peters, Dickinson and Franklin, is readily accounted for by his fear of losing his position in the Government, should any other than the Quaker influence prevail.
From 1730 to 1740 the influx was great. Settlements were commenced in Cumberland (then Lancaster) County in 1730 and 1731, the Chambers brothers having crossed west of the Susquehanna about that time. After 1736, during the month of September, in which year alone 1,000 families are said to have sailed from Belfast, the influx into the Kittochtinny Valley, west of the Susquehanna, increased rapidly; for in 1748, the number of taxables, not counting the fifty Germans, was about 800.
Soon after the erection of Cumberland County (1750), “in consequence of the frequent disturbances between the governor and Irish settlers, the proprietaries gave orders to their agents to sell no lands in either York or Lancaster counties to the Irish; and also to make to the Irish settlers in Paxton, Swatara, and Donegal Townships advantageous offers of removal to Cumberland County, which offers being liberal were accepted by many.”
Injustice has been done to the Scotch-Irish settlers of these early days by two classes of writers: first, those who were actuated by jealousy, as was Logan, in his inability to see good in any classes not directly connected with the original Friend or Penn element; secondly, those who have failed to study carefully the circumstances which surrounded the Scotch-Irish immigrants in their settlements and conduct toward the Indians. Under these circumstances we are not surprised to hear Mr. Sherman Day, in his Historical Collections of Pennsylvania, call them “a pertinacious and pugnacious race,” “pushing their settlements upon unpurchased lands about the Juniata, producing fresh exasperation among the Indians.” “As the result of this,” he continues, “massacres ensued, the settlers were driven below the mountains, and the whole province was alive with the alarms and excitements of war.”
Franklin County, the then southwestern part of Cumberland, and known as the “Conococheague Settlement,” was established September 9, 1784. To understand the early history of this country, the reader will need therefore, to bear in mind two facts:
1. Prior to January 27, 1750, its territory (with the exception of Warren township) was found in the county of Lancaster.
2. From January 27, 1750 to September 9, 1784, it belonged to Cumberland County. Since the latter date (September 9, 1784) it has had a distinct organization of its own.
The first settlement, in what is now Franklin County, was made in 1730, at Falling Spring, (now Chambersburg)-the confluence of the two streams, Falling Spring and Conococheague-by Col. Benjamin Chambers and his older brother, Joseph. Between 1726 and 1730, four brothers, James, Robert, Joseph and Benjamin Chambers, emigrated from the country of Antrim, Ireland, to the province of Pennsylvania. They settled and built a mill shortly after their arrival, at the mouth of Fishing Creek, in what is now Dauphin County, where they occupied a tract of fine land. These brothers were among the first to explore and settle the valley. James made a settlement at the head of Great Spring, near Newville; Robert, at the head of Middle Spring, near Shippensburg, and Joseph and Benjamin at Falling Spring, where Chambersburg now stands.
In what is Antrim Township there must have been settlers as early as 1734. In the Johnston Graveyard [Margaret Smith Gordon is buried there] , near Shady Grove, is a tablet bearing the name of JAMES JOHNSON [Margaret’s husband’s Grandfather], who died in 1765. “From documents still extant,” says the inscription “he settled on the land on which he died as early as 1735 and was probably the first white settler in what is now Antrim Township, Franklin County.” He had two sons, JAMES and THOMAS, both of whom were colonels in the Revolutionary war.
About the same time settlements were made near the present site of Greencastle, by JOSEPH CRUNKLETON, JACOB SNIVELY, AND JAMES RODY. Snively was the progenitor of a large and respectable family, many of whom still live in the township, concerning whom much will be said in the township and biographical sketches. (Footnote: Some of the earliest warrants found in the surveyor’s office bear date as follows: 1737, JOHN MITCHELL. DAVID McGAW; 1738, DAVID SCOTT, GEORGE REYNOLDS; 1740-42, DAVID KENNEDY, HUMPHREY JONES; 1743-50, JOHN POTTER, SAMUEL MCPHERREN, JOHN BROTHERTON, ROBERT WALLACE [Catherine WALLACE’s father?], WILLIAM MAGAW, THOMAS POE, GEORGE GIBSON, WILLIAM SMITH, JACOB SNIVELY, WILLIAM ALLISON, ABRAHAM GABLE, and JOHN DAVISON [a relative of Robert SMITH’s grandfather?.
In MONTGOMERY, as it now exists, was PHILIP DAVIS in 1737; JAMES HARLAND and JOHN DAVYRICH were his neighbors; in 1749 THOMAS EVANS, with DAVID ALEXANDER, JOHN DAVIS and AARON ALEXANDER as neighbors; in 1743, WILLIAM MAXWELL, with JOHN McLELLAND and ROBERT McCOY as neighbors; and in same year, ROBERT CULBERSON, with WILLIAM and THOMAS DINWIDDY and JAMES GARDNER as neighbors. About the same time, also, ALEXANDER BROWN, THOMAS SELLERS, JOHN McCLELLAN, WALTER BEATTY, ALEX WHITE, WILSON HALLIDAY and MARTHA HOWRY were settlers. In the present SOUTHAMPTON, REV. JOHN BLAIN and THOMAS EDMUNDSON had warrants as early as 1743.
Three children of Henry Gordon and Sarah Johnston (1736 – 1819), Elizabeth, Alexander, and Sarah married Smith children, Samuel, Margaret and William Jeremiah respectively. Henry Gordon was born 08 Jan 1733 in Antrim, Franklin, Pennsylvania. His parents were George Gordon (b. 1698 in Brechin, Angus, Scotland – d. 08 Mar 1759 in Antrim, Franklin, Pennsylvania) [Oral tradition in the family of Kim William Gordon places George’s birth in 1697 on board ship enroute to the new world] and Sarah [__?__] (1712-1762). He married in 1757 Cumberland, Pennsylvania, to Sarah Johnston. In the Revolution, Henry served as a private from Antrim Township in 1779 and 1780 under Captain John Jack and Lt Richard McLent. Henry died 10 Aug 1809 in Shady Grove, Franklin, Pennsylvania.
Historical Sketch of Franklin County, Penn. 1878 pg 309 –
… Henry Gordon was of Scotch descent, his father George Gordon, who was born in this country, was killed by the Indians in the year 1755, near where the town of “Shady Grove” now stands, his wife with small babe, a few days old, in her arms, made her escape on foot, wading the Monocacy River and reached the Fort where Frederick City, MD now stands.
The Indian death and escape may be a fable – “Seilhamer Volune IV” pg 70-124 “Gordons” by George A Seilhamer, abt 1900:
“Henry Gordon, brother of Ruth, was born Jun 3, 1734, and died Aug 10, 1809. His will dated Feb 18, 1802 and proved Aug 16, 1809. He was a farmer near Shady Grove in what is now Antrim twp, Franklin Co, PA. He obtained a warrant for 67 acres of land adjoining other lands owned by him and land of James Bones, Jacob Snively and Thomas Johnston. No date is given for this warrant but it was probably after 1763, in which year he obtained possession of the lands in partition in the Orphan’s Court of Cumberland Co. The absence of the warrant indicated that it was one of those destroyed by fire when the office of Col John Armstrong the Deputy-surveyor, at Carlisle, was burned. He enlisted as a private soldier in the company of Capt William Rippey of the Sixth Pennsylvania Battalion in 1776, and served in the second Canada Expedition. The name of his wife was SARAH. She was born Jul 11, 1736 and died in 1812. Their children were George, William, Susanna, Jeremiah, Elizabeth, Alexander, Sarah and Mary.
From “American Revolutionary Soldiers” provided by Perry Adams:
“Deeds at Chambersburg, Penna., show George Gordon of Atrium Twp., dying intestate, Orphens’ Court at Shippensburg, March 8, 1763, Son Henry to hold plantation&c. Heirs:”
From Chambersburg, PA Deed Book 5, Page 535-
George Gordon of Antrim Township, died intestate. Eldest son Henry petitioned the Orphans Court at Shippensburg March 8, 1763: Henry to plantation paying younger children..
11 May 1767 Antrim Township, Franklin, Pennsylvania, USA
Land Office –
Henry Gordon enters a Caveat against the acceptance of a Survey on Samuel Finley Warrant dated 8 June 1762 for 100 as of Land in Antrim Twp Cumberland Cty Alledging that his Father George Gordon had Warrant for 25 as thereof in the year 1762
Sarah Johnston was born 10 Jul 1736 in Antrim, Franklin, Pennsylvania. Her parents were James Johnston (b. 1697 in Antrim, Antrim, Ireland – d. 1765 in Greencastle, Franklin, Pennsylvania) and Nancy Anne Walpole (b. 16 Oct 1681 in Houghton, Norfolk, England – d. Franklin, Pennsylvania) James Johnston was the first settler in Antrim Township. Sarah died 18 Jun 1819 in Franklin, Pennsylvania.
History of Franklin County – 1887 – In what is Antrim Township there must have been settlers as early as 1734. In the Johnston Graveyard [Margaret Smith Gordon is buried there] , near Shady Grove, is a tablet bearing the name of JAMES JOHNSON, who died in 1765. “From documents still extant,” says the inscription “he settled on the land on which he died as early as 1735 and was probably the first white settler in what is now Antrim Township, Franklin County.” He had two sons, JAMES [1743 – 1814] and THOMAS [1744-1819], both of whom were colonels in the Revolutionary war.
1. Samuel Smith
Samuel’s wife Elizabeth Gordon was born 04 Dec 1765 in Antrim, Franklin, Pennsylvania. Her parents were Henry Gordon and Sarah Johnston. Elizabeth died 17 Nov 1829 in Antrim Township, Franklin, Pennsylvania.
The Samuel Smith that married Elizabeth Gordon from Satterfield, pg 1 of corrections,
“Dr Samuel Smith came from Ireland, not far from Derry. He sailed from Donegal, came to Penn, where he married Elizabeth Gordon about 1786. They later moved to VA were they lived for about four years. They came from VA to MO in 1798 and settled in St Louis Co near Bon Homme Church on County Road. Elizabeth was a member of Bon Homme Church organized in 1816. Dr Samuel Smith had two sisters and a brother here and two brothers, John Smith and Robert Smith, in Ireland. His brother here married Sarah Gordon. One sister married Alexander Gordon, brother to Elizabeth, and the other sister married a Summerson. The Old Smith Home was of logs and they moved into it in 1812. Dr Samuel Smith was educated in Edinburg University, Scotland. He practiced his profession as long as he lived. Alexander Gordon was born in 1768 and had a son Jeremiah Gordon born 1806.”.
Alternatively, Samuel’s wife Martha Howard was born 1765 in Montgomery, Fayette, Pennsylvania. Martha died in 1863 in Cross Creek, Jefferson, Ohio,
These children appear to those of Samuel and Martha
i. Samuel Smith b. 1783 in Montgomery, Fayette, Pennsylvania;
ii. John Smith b. 1785 in Fayette, Pennsylvania; d. 1851 Cross Creek, Jefferson, Ohio; m. 1810 in Cross Creek, Jefferson, Ohio to Sarah Smith (b. 1787; d. 1851 in Bloomingdale, Cross Creek, Jefferson, Ohio)
In the 1850 census, John and Sarah were farming in Wayne, Jefferson, Ohio.
iii. Alexander Smith b. 1790 in Redstone, Fayette, Pennsylvania; d. 12 Feb 1878 New Alexandria, Cross Creek, Jefferson, Ohio; m. 16 Sep 1819 in Cross Creek, Jefferson, Ohio to Cassiah Davis (b. 1798 in Jefferson, Pennsylvania)
In the 1870 census, Alexander and Martha were farming in Cross Creek, Jefferson, Ohio.
iv. William G. Smith b. 11 Dec 1790 in Metal, Franklin, Pennsylvania; d. 25 Apr 1857 in Tuscarawas, Tuscarawas, Ohio; m. Lucy Ann (Lusannah) Kreidler (b. 16 Feb 1796 in Maryland – d. 1875/1890 in Mattoon, Coles, Illinois) Her parents were Frederick Kreidler and Elizabeth Weter.
The evidence is derived from: William Smith’s family Bible whose ink is faded and had to be read with a reading glass; and the Catalog of the Sharon Moravian Church, the largest church in Mill Twp., Tuscarawas County, Ohio. Information from the family bible was copied by the grandchild of William and Lucy Ann Kridler Smith, Viola Smith Elmore, in 1956. Viola’s younger brother had the Bible at that time in Rozel, Kansas.The Family Record in the Bible records the birth of William Smith as 11 December 1790 and of Lucy Ann Kridler as 15 February 1775. The ink of Lucy Ann’s birth was so faded that the year of birth could be 1795/1796. The Bible recorded the dates of birth, death and marriages of the William Smith family. IGI gave Lucy Ann’s DOB as 15 February 1795. The only part of the family Bible’s record of marriage that was legible was 26 August. The year was probably 1812/1813, based upon date of birth of first child. The Register of the Sharon Moravian Church noted that Lucy Ann had “moved West,” probably after the death of William (1857?). This could have been a move to Sandusky Co. Sharon Moravian Church Register reported that Lucy Ann Bibler (sic!), born 16 February 1796 in Maryland was baptised in infancy as a Methodist. Her reception into the Moravian Church was 4 June 1854.
They had 14 children. Their son Thomas was born in Virginia in 1829, Benjamin Franklin in Brooke, Stafford, Virginia in 1835 and William in Ohio about 1840.
In the 1850 census, William and Lucy A were farming in Warwick, Tuscarawas, Ohio.
v. Nancy Smith b. 1791 in Fayette, Pennsylvania or Jefferson, Ohio; d. 4 Feb 1883 Cross Creek, Jefferson, Ohio; m. 12 Dec 1816 in Jefferson, Ohio to Henry Welty (Welday) (b. 1792 in York, York, Pennsylvania – d. 4 Jan 1875 in Cross Creek, Jefferson, Ohio) His parents were Johann Jacob Welty and Mary Ruble
In the 1850 census Henry and Nancy were farming in Cross Creek, Jefferson, Ohio
vi. Oliver Smith b. 1792 in Fayette, Pennsylvania;
vii. Mary (Polly) Smith b. 1795 in Fayette, Pennsylvania or Jefferson, Ohio; d. Aft 1870 census, Central, Franklin, Missouri; m. 21 Oct 1819 in Cross Creek, Jefferson, Ohio to Isaac Welty (Welday) (b. 1784 in York, York, Pennsylvania – d. Aft 1870 census, Central, Franklin, Missouri)
In the 1850 census, Isaac and Mary were farming in Cross Creek, Jefferson, Ohio
viii. Elizabeth Smith b. 1798 in Cross Creek, Jefferson, Ohio; m. 11 Nov 1819 in Jefferson, Ohio to Joseph Butler (b. 1795 in Jefferson, Ohio)
ix. Hannah H Smith b. 22 Mar 1803 in Pennsylvania; d. 2 Mar 1890 in Bloomfield, Jefferson, Ohio; m. 9 May 1820 in Jefferson, Ohio to David Howard Welday (b. 22 Oct 1798 in York, York, Pennsylvania – d. 20 Nov 1883 in Cross Creek, Jefferson, Ohio)
In the 1850 census, David and Hannah were farming in Wayne, Jefferson, Ohio with nine children at home.
x. Margaret Smith b. 1805 in Cross Creek, Jefferson, Ohio;
2. Margaret Smith
After Mary died, he married 9 Dec 1828 in Franklin County, Pennsylvania to Hannah Dome (b. 12 Mar 1790 Pennsylvania – 19 Feb 1880 Fountaindale Union Cemetery, Fountain Dale, Adams County, Pennsylvania 89 years 11 months 7 days). Alexander died 10 Apr 1855 in Antrim, Franklin, Pennsylvania, in the same house in which he was born.
Based on Henry’s will, Alexander inherited the family homestead provided he take care of his mother?s needs, including residence in the family house, for the remainder of her life. He also was to pay his brother George 450 pounds and his sisters 150 pounds each in accordance with the terms of Henry’s will. In 1808 when Henry’s will was written, George, Elizabeth and Mary were all in St. Louis, MO.
A file from the Lilian S. Besore Memorial Library states: “The bequests contained in his will bear evidence that Alexander Gordon aquired considerable real estate during his lifetime, and that he died posessed of three farms and three smaller properties, in addition to personal property and securities, including what appears to have been a substantial investment in turnpike stocks.”
An Alex. Gordon is listed on the 1786 Taxables list for Franklin County, PA – Antrim Township.
In the 1850 census, Alexander and Hannah were living in Antrim, Franklin, Pennsylvania.
Margaret is buried in the Old Johnston Cemetery Shady Grove Antrim Township, Franklin, Pennsylvania. Shady Grove is near Greencastle. I am guessing this is the cemetery in question.
Source: George Gordon, 1698 – 1759, of Cumberland Valley, Pennsylvania and His Descendants by Marian Otis. Kevin Gordon and Marion Otis both show Margaret was born in Ireland. Above per Mike Lysell
Children of Margaret and Alexander
i Sarah Gordon b. 13 Jan 1790 Franklin, Pennsylvania; d. 30 Jul 1883; m. 16 Oct 1810 to William Lawrence (1790 in Shadygrove, Franklin, Pennsylvania – d. 19 Jun 1862)
ii. Nancy Agnes Gordon b: 11 Oct 1791 in Franklin County, Pennsylvania; d. 21 Jul 1870 Randolph, Illinois; m. 2 Jan 1812 in Washington County, MD to her cousin George Gordon (b. 22 Mar 1791 in Franklin, Pennsylvania – d. 26 Jun 1863 in Percy, Randolph County, IL.) His parents were George Gordon and Mary Prather .
John McCullough writes: “George Gordon marries his first-cousin Nancy Gordon in the nearby county in Maryland. One wonders if this marriage was sanctioned by the families, since it did not occur at home (Antrim Twp. Franklin Co. PA).”
“After his father was murdered in the Louisiana Territory, District of St. Louis in 1809, George (about 19 yrs old) returned to family in Franklin Co., Pennsylvania. When he arrived, he found that his grandfather, Henry, had died in August of the same year. He probably lived with his Uncle Alexander Gordon until he married his cousin Nancy Gordon, Alexander’s daughter, and started a family, beginning with Henry Smith Gordon. Sometime after 1820, George returned to the new state of Missouri to his father’s dream of a future. He built a grist-mill in the northwestern part of Central Township (1.5 miles east of my family home). ?It had a run of rock and another of burr stones. It was burned after about 12 years.? He gave his son, Henry Smith Gordon, some land when Henry married Rebecca Young in 1834. In 1835 George bought 121 acres in Randolph Co. Illinois and an additonal 80 acres in 1837 moving there that year. His sons Henry Smith Gordon and Alexander Gordon joined him in 1837-38 and all continued to buy land near each other.”
John McCullough writes: “George Gordon Sr., a Revolutionary War veteran, was murdered by his stepson, John Long, in a dispute over property. [George had moved to St. Louis with his children after his wife’s death in 1805. There he met and married a widow named Rachel Long. She had inherited property including slaves from her first husband, John Long. When she married George, ownership passed to him. Her son, John, Jr., resented this and on June 26, 1809 he shot him, though Long’s descendants continue to believe to this day that Gordon was shot by a slave.]
The District of St. Louis in the Louisiana Territory was a rough land just beginning settlement. As he lay dying on a buffalo skin in front of his log cabin, as described in the trial records, one neighbor heard him say, “I don’t know who would have done me so.” In fact, records show that George and his stepson had period of threats and heated arguments. Long was arrested for the murder, tried, convicted and hung becoming the first person legally hung west of the Mississippi River. We have the trial records, witness testimony, and newspaper report of the happenings. George Gordon Jr. could have commuted the sentence under Territorial law, but didn’t. He went back to the Gordon clan in Pennsylvania to mature and start a family, returning to the new State of Missouri, circa 1825, to settle in the area where he had lived with George Sr.”
iii. Mary (Molley) Gordon b:2 Jan 1794 in , Franklin County, Pennsylvania; d. 19 Jul 1873 Randolph, Illinois; m. Mar 1821 to Dr. Thomas Legget (b. 1790 in Shadygrove, Franklin, Pennsylvania – d. 14 Apr 1851 in Randolph County, IL)
iv. George Gordon b: 9 Aug 1796 in , Franklin County, Pennsylvania; d. 17 Mar 1843; m. Martha Houston (Huston) (b. 1800 York, Penns)
Martha was still living in the 1870 census with her son Matthew Smith Gordon in Greencastle, Fraklin Co., PA and in 1880 census in the same spot.
v. Henry Gordon b: 20 Nov 1798 in Greencastle, Franklin County, Pennsylvania; d. 15 Jan 1886 Ohio; m1. 3 Apr 1828 to Matilda Bowman (b. 1800 in Shadygrove, Franklin, Pennsylvania – d. 10 Nov 1857); m2. 1840 to Hannah F Cone (b. 14 Feb 1818 in Pennsylvania)
The 1880 census lists Henry Gordon as 81 yrs., retired farmer, born in P A, father born in IRE and mother born in PA. It lists a wife as H. F. Gordon, 61 yrs old, born in NY. While the Ireland birth is a deviation, the rest of the listing is fairly solid for this Henry. The H.R. probably is Hannah R. Cone, his second wife.?.
vi. Elizabeth Gordon b: 26 Jan 1801 in , Franklin County, Pennsylvania d. 2 Dec 1884, Franklin County, Pennsylvania; m. 14 Mar 1822 to James McCrea (b. 1797 in Greencastle, Franklin, Pennsylvania – d. 28 Oct 1875 Franklin County, Pennsylvania)
James is listed in 1850 Census for Atrium Township, Franklin County, PA with wife, Elizabeth.
vii. Alexander Gordon , Jr. b: 6 May 1803 in Shady Grove, Franklin County, Pennsylvania; d. 12 Jun, 1886, Shady Grove, Franklin County, Pennsylvania; m1. 24 Feb 1825 to Joanna Fullerton (b. 23 Jun 1799 at Greencastle, Franklin County, Penn. – d. 3 Apr 1849 in Franklin, Pennsylvania); m2 Aft 1850 to Nancy Rankin Waddell (b: 6 Nov 1809 in Pennsylvania)
Alexander was a life long farmer and Presbyterian Elder for many years.
viii. Jeremiah Gordon b: 22 Jan 1806 in , Franklin County, Pennsylvania; d. 24 Sep 1882, Franklin County, Pennsylvania; m. 30 Sep 1830 to Susannah Snively (b. 15 Feb 1812 in Antrim, Franklin, Pennsylvania – d. 25 Apr 1888 in Franklin, Pennsylvania) Her parents were Henry Snively (b. 3 Dec 1775 Antrim Township – d. 7 Mar 1845 Antrim Township) and his cousin Elizabeth Snively (b. 25 Dec 1784 in Washington, Maryland – d. 24 Jun 1844 in Antrim Township.
History of Franklin County – 1887 About the same time  settlements were made near the present site of Greencastle, by JOSEPH CRUNKLETON, JACOB SNIVELY [Susannah’s great grandfather Johann Jacob Schnebele (b. 21 Dec 1694 Boesenbiesen, Alsace, France – d. 24 Aug 1766 Greencastle, Franklin, Pennsylvania) or her 2nd great grandfather of the same name] AND JAMES RODY. Snively was the progenitor of a large and respectable family, many of whom still live in the township, concerning whom much will be said in the township and biographical sketches.
The 1870 Census shows Jeremiah as a ?Retired Farmer? with Real Estate valued at $18100 and Personal Property at $1250 living in Antrim Township, Franklin County, PA. His son Jeremiah Clinton and his family are listed next on the Census. His newphew, Humphrey Fullerton Gordon, is listed just before Jeremiah.
In 1880, Jeremiah and his wife Susan are still living in Antrim Township, Franklin County, PA. Living with them are their daughter Arianna and two grandchildren, Ella and Clarence whose parents were Alexander Davidson Gordon and Alice Stoner.
A file from the Lilian S. Besore Memorial Libray states: “Of their fourteen children, we find that two died as children, that six others migrated westward, and that only two sons and four daughters remained in Franklin county. Of the two sons who remained in the area, neither perpetuated the family tradition of tilling the soil, and after four successive generations of ownership and occupancy, we note that at Jeremiah?s death, his farm was sold to Melchi Snively and that it later became known as the Ezra Royer farm. The old homestead farm of his brother Alexander appears to have passed from family ownership at about the same time. We have evidence that after raising a large family, Jeremiah experienced some financial reverses, which, following the panic of 1873, appear to have been rather acute. An examination of his carefully kept day book covering those years is most revealing. His personal needs appear to have been simple and few, yet with each passing year he was able to maintain a balance between his receipts and disbursments only by the increased use of credit. He executed many demand notes of small amounts, mostly in favor of merchants and relatives. Despite evidence of some financial stringency, we find that with each appeal from those of his distant children who suffered misfortune or want, and they would appear to have been rather frequent, his parental blessing and his financial assistance was always forthcoming.”
ix. Margaret Gordon b: 22 Mar 1809 Greencastle Antrim Township, Franklin, Pennsylvania; d. 1850 Randolph, Illinois; m. 1 Jan 1825 to Henry Beck (b. 1 Oct 1807 in Maryland – d. 1871 in Randolph County, IL)
Henry resigned from Company E of the Thirtieth Infantry on February 14, 1863 as a Second Lieutenant..
Children of Alexander and Hannah:
x. Keziah Gordon b. 26 Mar 1830 in Shady Grove, Franklin, Pennsylvania; d. 25 Aug 1898 in Fountaindale, Adams, Pennsylvania; m. 16 Feb 1854 Greencastle, Franklin, Pennsylvania to Sydenham (Sydneyham) Coskery Walker (b.10 Dec 1826 in Waynesboro, Adams, PA – d. 26 Sep 1902 in Foutaindale, Adams, PA.) His parents were Thomas Walker and Harriett Coskery.
In the 1880 census, Sydenham was a physician in Liberty, Adams, Pennsylvania.
xi. Brig. General David Stuart Gordon b. 23 May 1832 in Franklin County, PA.; d. 28 Jan 1930 in Chevy Chase, Montgomery County, MD; m1. 27 Apr 1859 to Nannie Hues (b: Abt 1835 in Maryland); m2 Bell Vedder (b. abt. 1835 in Maryland)
NY Times – GEN. GORDON WEDS AFTER OLD ROMANCE; Retired Veteran of Famous Sixth Cavalry, 78, Marries Mrs. Bell V. Fleming, Widow, 58. Met bride 40 years ago Both Married and Did Not Meet Again Until 1892, When Old Acquaintance Was Renewed.
U. S. Army, won promotion to rank of general. A file from the Lilian S. Besore Memorial Library states: “David Stuart Gordon, in his youth, moved to Hagerstown, Maryland, and clerked in Armstrong’s Drygoods Store. An article by General John R. King tells us that David was one of the most popular young men of the town. Possessedof a beautiful tenor voice, he belonged to a group of singers who gave many charity concerts in the old Lyceum Hall. About 1850, when the Missouri-Kansas border trouble became acute, David, moved by a spirit of adventure, quit the mercantile business and located in Kansas. It was not long before he was commissioned a Lieutenant in the Second Dragoons, later the Second U. S. Cavalry.
His complete military career from Crossed Sabres:
Prior to the war, he moved to Leavenworth, Kansas, where he worked as a merchant and the city auditor.
After Lincoln was elected president, Senator James H. Lane of Kansas offered him a bodyguard of men from Kansas to protect him during his trip to Washington. Lincoln declined the offer, but Lane sent the men to Washington anyway. They organized themselves as a company known as the “Frontier Guard,” and established their headquarters at the Willard Hotel. Senator Lane was the company’s captain, and David S. Gordon was its first sergeant. Four days after the surrender of Fort Sumter, the company was asked by the Secretary of War to secure the White House. The company remained on duty there for several weeks before they were honorably discharged.
It is not surprising, then, that Gordon was in the first round of civilian appointments of officers to replace resignations in the regular army’s regiments. Senator Lane likely had something to do with this, since he was appointed to the Army from Kansas and not his native Pennsylvania. He was appointed second lieutenant in the 2nd U.S. Cavalry on April 26, 1861, and accepted the appointment the next day. Companies from the regiment were at that time arriving at Carlisle Barracks, PA from their evacuation of Texas. As soon as the first companies were refitted, they were dispatched to Washington, D.C. to defend the capitol. Gordon joined them when they reached Washington. He does not appear on the regiment’s muster rolls in April, May or June 1861.
On May 31, 1861, he accompanied Lt. Charles Tompkins and his company on a raid to Fairfax Courthouse (see here for details). Following the raid, and probably as a result of the hubbub surrounding it, Lt. Gordon was appointed an aide de camp to General Keyes. He was captured while serving in this position on July 21, 1861, during the battle of Bull Run.
Gordon was quite well-travelled as a prisoner, as the Confederate government struggled to establish a system for handling prisoners of war. Initially sent to Libby Prison in Richmond, he was subsequently incarcerated at Castle Pinckney, Charleston, SC; Columbia jail, SC; and Salisbury, NC. He was not exchanged until August 1862.
In the meantime, the U.S. cavalry regiments were redesignated the month after Bull Run. The 2nd Cavalry became the 5th Cavalry, and the 2nd Dragoons became the 2nd Cavalry. So Gordon emerged from captivity to service in a new regiment of the same name. Such was the confusion over which regiment Gordon was assigned to that he appears in George Price’s Across the Continent With the Fifth Cavalryonly in Charles Tompkins’ entry. He served for several months as the inspector of the U.S. Army’s Parole Camp at Annapolis, MD before joining the regiment just before the battle of Fredericksburg.
Following the battle of Fredericksburg, Lt. Gordon was assigned to the staff of General Schenk, commander of the Middle Department at Baltimore, MD. He served as an acting assistant adjutant general to General Schenk through the Gettysburg campaign. On April 25, 1863, he was promoted to captain in the 2nd US Cavalry, and on paper assigned to Company D, though still listed on detached service. He received a brevet to major, U.S. Army for gallant and meritorious service at the battle of Gettysburg.
He rejoined his regiment during the pursuit from Gettysburg, seeing action at Manassas Gap, Rappahannock Station, and Culpeper Courthouse.
In 1864 he served with regiment during the Wilderness campaign and Sheridan’s two raids. He commanded the regiment on the second day of the battle of Trevillian Station when Capt. T.F. Rodenbough was seriously wounded on June 11. He commanded the regiment through the battle of Deep Bottom on July 27-28, 1864, and during the majority of the Shenandoah campaign from August to October 1864.
In late October he was assigned to Carlisle Barracks for recruiting duty, as were officers from all the regular cavalry regiments. He was further assigned to Cincinnati, OH, where he recruited for his regiment from October 1864 to January 1865.
His regiment did not participate in the Appomattox campaign, and as the senior officer present he assumed command when he rejoined it at Point of Rocks, MD from March to November 1865.
At that point the majority of the brevetted officers returned from duty with volunteer regiments, and Gordon made the long slide down to once again commanding his Company D. The regiment was assigned to duty on the frontier In November, and began the long march to Fort Leavenworth, KS. Once the regiment reached Kansas, Gordon and Company D were further assigned to Fort Lyon, CO, where they remained until October 1866.
The 2nd US Cavalry was reassigned to the Department of the Platte under pre-war commander Philip St. George Cooke at the end of the year, and the regiment’s companies were reassigned to forts in what is today Wyoming, South Dakota and Nebraska.
Capt. Gordon and his company spent only a few weeks at their new post of Fort Laramie, Dakota Territory when they once again received marching orders. Following news of the Fetterman massacre, a column of infantry and cavalry was dispatched to the relief of Fort Kearney in January 1867. Gordon commanded a squadron of his own company and Company L in support of four companies of the 10th Infantry. An impromptu winter march across Nebraska must have been a challenging mission. Once they reached the fort, the majority of the column returned to Fort Laramie, but Gordon and his company garrisoned the fort until it was closed the following July.
Gordon’s next post was Fort D.A. Russell, Wyoming Territory, where he and his company served from August 1868 to May 1869. During this period his service is described as “engaged with hostile Indians and escorting mail and government trains.” Gordon later published an account of this expedition in the Journal of the Military Service Institution of the United States in 1911.
Gordon’s company conducted an extended scouting expedition of the Wind River valley from May to September 1869, engaged multiple times with hostile Indians before moving to Fort Bridger, Wyoming Territory in October. They were engaged in the affair at Miner’s Delight, WT on May 4, 1870, but I could not locate any information on said affair. They were then assigned to Camp Douglass, WT, where they spent the next five years.
At this point Gordon’s career becomes very cloudy. He was steadily promoted, so it’s unlikely any seriously untoward happened at Miner’s Delight, but there is no mention of further postings. He was promoted in the regiment to major on June 25, 1877 and lieutenant colonel on November 20, 1889.
In 1892, he was assigned to command Fort Myer, Washington, D.C. He finally left his regiment on July 28, 1896, when he was promoted to colonel and command of the 6th U.S. Cavalry. Gordon was promoted to brigadier general upon his retirement on May 23, 1896.
Brigadier General David S. Gordon died on January 30, 1930, and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery..
6. William Jeremiah Smith
William’s wife Sarah Gordon was born 28 Mar 1770 in Antrim, Franklin, Pennsylvania. Her parents were Henry Gordon and Sarah Johnston (See Above). Sarah died 1809 in Harrison, Virginia.
Children of William and Sarah
i. Ann Smith b. 24 Sep 1783; d. 31 Aug 1865 Browersville, Ohio, m. 22 Oct 1811 – Harrison County to Andrew Stephens (27 Nov 1789 in Harrison, Virginia – d. 30 Dec 1858 in Silvercreek, Greene, Ohio) His parents were George W Stephens (b. 1764 Harrison, Virginia – d. 1795 Harrison, Virginia) and Nancy Ann Wolfe (b. 1765 in Frederick, Maryland – d. 5 May 1853 in Bowersville, Ohio)
ii. Henry Smith
iii. Jeremiah Smith
iv. John Smith
v. Margaret Smith m. 24 Oct 1822 Greene, Ohio to Philip Stevens
Caesar’s Creek Church was organized on the fourth Saturday in April, 1813. It was located a few miles southwest of Jamestown, Greene County, Ohio. Because of the distance Abraham Lucas and his neighbors living on Anderson’s Fork had to travel to attend meetings at the Caesars Creek Church, agitation began to form a new Baptist congregation closer to home. Indian Run Church was organized by members dismissed from Caesars Creek, on the 4th Lord’s day in July 1822.
The 26 members of Caesars Creek Church dismissed in 1822 to form a church on Anderson’s Fork were: (men) Abraham Lucas, Michael Mann, Philip Stevens, Solomon Wood, Lewis Chance, John Turner, Ebenezer Perry, James William Wilson, Peter P. Lucas, Joseph Lucas, Thomas Lucas, Samuel Nives, and William Copeland; (women) Sarah Lucas Copeland, Elizabeth Chance, Massy Lucas, Sarah Lucas, Rachel Perry, Mary Lee, Elizabeth Mann, Margaret Smith, Mary Turner, Sarah Lucas, Sarah Lucas, Phebe Lucas Wood, and Elizabeth Stanberry. The new church was organized as the Regular Baptist Church of Indian Run. On 1 Aug 1822 John Hamer and wife Christena deeded one acre of land to Joseph Lucas, Michael Mann, and William Copeland as trustees of the church. The new church was located in Jefferson Twp., Greene, Ohio, at the present location of the Cline Cemetery about 3 miles west of Bowersville.
Following mass migration of its members to Illinois in the mid 1820’s, the Indian Run Church was disbanded, and the following 10 remaining members were accepted back into Caesars Creek Church: William Copeland and wife, John Hoblit and wife, Thomas Lucas and wife, John Copeland and wife, Joel Rely, and Rachel Perry. Several of these persons also departed shortly for Illinois. See Logan County, Illinois.
The Lake Fork Church of the Predestinarian Baptists, a strict, fundamentalist group, was organized Jan 20, 1827 at the house of James Turley by William Kenner, Hiram Bowman and Phillip Stephens. The church was the first organized religion in south Logan County and perhaps in all of Logan County, Illinios.
Meanwhile, in Greene County, Ohio, the Regular Baptist Church of Indian Run, for reasons unclear, decided to migrate en masse to Illinois. Most of them ended up in south Logan County and became part of the Lake Fork Predestinarian Baptist Church, soon to become the Regular Baptist Church of Lake Fork (1833)
vi. Mary Smith m. Robert Marshall
vii. Sarah Smith F
viii. William Smith M
http://usgwarchives.net/pa/franklin/wbeerstoc.htm (History of Franklin County – 1887)