Mark (Roger) HILTON Sr. (1560- 1605) was Alex’s 13th Great Grandfather, one of 16,384 in this generation of the Shaw line and one of 16,384 in the Miller line. (See his 3rd great grandson Thomas BROWNE for details of the double ancestors)
Captain (Mark) Roger Hilton was born between 1550 and 1560 at Biddick, Durham, England. While many genealogies mentioned Yorkshire, or Northwich, Cheshire, as his birthplace, it would seem logical that he was born in Biddick, Durham since his father was Lord Biddick of Hylton Castle. His parents were William HILTON of Biddick and Margaret METCALFE. He married Ellen MAINWARRING circa 1585 at Wearmouth, Sunderland, County Durham, England. No firm citations for this wife/marriage have been found, but her name has appeared on numerous genealogy databases. The marriage date is based upon the estimated birthdate of Roger and 1590s birthdates of his sons. Roger died in 1604/05 in Wearmouth, Sunderland, County Durham, England.
Ellen Mainwarring was born was born in 1552 in Wearmouth, County Durham, England Her parents were John MAINWARRING and [__?__].
Children of (Mark) Roger and Ellen:
|1.||William HILTON||~ 1591 in Northwich, Cheshire, England.||Mary [__?__]
|30 Jun 1656|
|2.||Edward Hilton||5 Jun 1595/96
Biddick, Durham, England.
|btw. between Oct 1670 and 6 Mar 1670/71 in Dover, Strafford, New Hampshire|
|3.||Rebecca Hilton||~ 1602
Waremouth, Durham, England
Strattford New Hampshire
|27 Sep 1673
Boston, Suffolk, Mass.
From British records, this family can trace their genealogy from about 1200 to William DeHilton, born in 1516 in Yorkshire, England and died in 1562 in Durhamshire. His wife was Margaret Metcalfe and they had several children, one of whom may have been Mark Hilton. The key here is that Mark Hilton’s grandfather was Sir William De Hilton, husband of Sybil Lumley, and Sybil was the granddaughter of King Edward IV. Edward was the Plantagenet member of the House of York, who reigned from 1461-1483 and was succeeded by his son, Edward V, who within the year disappeared into the Tower of London, presumably banished by his uncle who subsequently was crowned King Richard III, made even more famous by the Shakespearean play.
As was typical of that day, British kings often had mistresses, and these women bore them children. In those days these illegitimate children, while not in line for the throne, were known to be descended from the King and were often given titles. It was in this way that Sybil Lumley’s mother, Elizabeth Plantagenet, born about 1464, came to be accepted as the daughter of King Edward IV and his mistress Elizabeth Wayte. While there is some confusion about her mother’s name, it appears well established that Elizabeth Plantagenet was the King’s daughter, and that she married Sir Thomas Lumley. (ref. 10, 12). Elizabeth Wayte’s other royal bastard was Arthur Plantagenet, 1st Viscount Lisle. In this way, subsequent Hiltons are known to be descendants of King Edward.
A missing link still remained, however. Were William DeHilton and his alleged son, Mark/Roger, ancestors of the Hiltons who settled in New England in the 1620’s? To find an answer to this question, in 1885 Nathan Hilton, a magistrate of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, hired a woman in London to search for his roots and determine if the American Hiltons were related to Mark Hilton and the DeHiltons, and of course through them, to King Edward IV.
According to the “Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and NH”, “This woman, identity unknown, in order to connect the Durham County family with the two brothers in London and America, must have invented probate records of two estates, ‘Ralph Hilton, 1602’ and ‘Roger Hilton 1619’ [since later] exhaustive searches …failed to find any trace of ‘Ralph’ and ‘Roger’. They did, however, find over thirty contemporary records supporting the origin of the American emigrant brothers in Northwich, Chester County. [Nonetheless], the baronial pedigree was published in the Yarmouth Herald, Mar. 22-29, Apr 5-12, 1898, and will doubtless charm the credulous for years to come.”
Apparently based on this 19th Century research, many amateur genealogists have connected the two brothers, Edward and William Hilton, who settled in Dover, NH, and were known to be the sons of William Hilton from Chester County, England, to the Durham County Hilton family and made them sons of Mark, or sometimes Mark Roger, Hilton. In this way the royal connection was made.
With the above caveats in mind ….
Mark’s father Sir William HILTON (de jure 10th Baron Hylton) was born in 1516 in Wensleydale, Yorkshire, England. His parents were Sir William HILTON (1488 – 1536) and Lady Sibill LUMLEY (1485 – 1518). He married Margaret METCALFE in 1543 in Wensleydale, England. He nherited the family estate and Hylton Castle from his brother Sir Thomas Hylton who died childless after 4 marriages; this was probably about 1560/61 Sir William died 1562 in Wensleydale, Yorkshire, England
Mark’s mother Margaret Metcalfe was born 4 Jul 1520 in Nappa, Yorkshire, England. Her parents were Sir James METCALFE (1480 – 1539) and Margaret PIGOTT (1492 – 1531). Margaret died 4 Jun 1566 in North Biddick, Durham, England She was buried at Holy Trinity Church, Durham, England.
Margaret Metcalfe left a will on 4 June 1566 at North Biddick, County Durham, England. Will of Margaret Hilton of North Biddick, Widow: “To be buried at Washington. Her three daughters Elizabeth, Dorothy and Helen; her son William and his wife Ann. Her executors to be Robert, Roger, Ralph, Sibill and Margaret Hilton. Supervisors her son William, her brother Sir Christopher Metcalfe, Mr. Robert Bowes, Mr. Thomas Layton, her brother Oswold Metcalf, and her sons-in-law Michael Constable and Marmaduke Thirkeld, and her nephew Anthony Thomlinson.”
Children of Margaret Metcalfe and William Hilton of Biddick
i. Dorothy Hilton b.aft.1543
ii. Ellen (Helen) Hilton b.abt.1543
iii. Katherine Hilton b.abt.1543
iv. Sibyl Hilton b.abt.1543
v. William Hilton b.abt.1545
vi. Robert Hilton b.abt.1547
vii. Ralph Hilton b.abt.1551
viii. Margery Hilton b.abt.1555
ix. (Mark) Roger HILTON b.~1560 d. ~1605 Wearmouth, Durham, England
x. Elizabeth Hilton b.abt.1561
xi. Anne Hilton b.abt.1565 d.bef.June 10, 1566
Mark’s grandfather Sir William Hilton (de jure 8th Baron Hylton) was born 1488 in Yorkshire, England. His parents were William HILTON and Margery BOWES. He married Lady Sibill LUMLEY. Sir William died 1536 in Yorkshire, England.
Mark’s grandmother Lady Sibill Lumley was born 1485 in Lumley, Durham, England. Her parents were Sir Thomas LUMLEY (1460 – 1487) and Elizabeth PLANTAGENET (1463 – 1503). Lady Sibill died in 1518 in Newcastle, Yorkshire, England
In his will of (probably) 5 October 1518, Sir William conveyed his manors of Hilton, Ford, Usworth, Folanceby (Follonsby?), Grindon, Bermeton (Barmston?), Biddicke (Biddick?) Co. Durham; Carnaby and Wharram-Percy, co. Ebor; Aldstone, Kirkhaughe, Elryngton and Woodhall, Northumberland; to Sir William Bulmer, Sir Ralph Hedworth [his son-in-law, married to Anne], Robert Bowes of Cowton, George Bowes of Dalden, Robert Bowes of Aske, John Hedworth and John Lambton on trust for himself for life, with remainder intail male respectively to: Sir Thomas Hilton, his son and heir; William Hilton, his second son; Cuthbert, son of Thomas Hilton, late of Hedworth; Roger, son of George Hilton, late of Wylome, co. York; William Hilton, brother of Roger; John Hilton, Citizen and Merchant-Taylor of London; Adam Hilton of Parke in Lancashire; Thomas Hilton, Citizen and Skinner of London.
Children of Sir William and Sibill
i. Thomas Hilton (b. ABT 1514)
ii. William HILTON (b. ABT 1516 – d. ABT 1562)
iii. Anne Hilton (b. ABT 1518)
iv. Joan Hilton (b. ABT 1518)
Mark/Roger’s great grandfather Thomas LUMLEY (Sir) was born about 1460, Lumley, Durham, England. His parents were George LUMLEY (3° B. Lumley) and Elizabeth THORNTON. He married Elizabeth PLANTAGENET. Sir Thomas died about 1487
Notes: died before his father, consequently the estates were inherited by his son, Richard, Lord Lumley, who, coming into these possessions in 1509, lived but two years to enjoy them. Fought on Richard III‘s side at the Battle of Bosworth.
Mark’s great grandmother Elizabeth Plantagenet was born 11 Feb 1463 in England. Her parents were EDWARD IV “King of England” Plantagenet (1442 – 1483) and Elizabeth WAYTE (1444 – 1492). Elizabeth died 11 Feb 1503 in Lumley, Durham, England.
Additional evidence of Elizabeth’s parentage may be seen in the papal dispensation granted in 1489 for Elizabeth’s son, Richard Lumley, to marry Anne Conyers, they being related in the [3rd and] 4th degree of kindred. A dispensation was needed for this marriage, as the two parties were both descended from Ralph Neville, K.G., 1st Earl of Westmorland, and his wife, Joan Beaufort
Children of Sir Thomas and Elizabeth
ii. John Lumley (b. ~ 1479 – d. Aft. 1483)
iv. Elizabeth Lumley
v. George Lumley
vi. Roger Lumley
- Robert Hylton, 1st Baron Hylton (d. 1322)
- Alexander Hylton, 2nd Baron Hylton (d. 1360)
- Robert Hylton, de jure 3rd Baron Hylton (1340–1377)
- Sir William Hylton, de jure 4th Baron Hylton (1356–1435)
- Sir Robert Hylton, de jure 5th Baron Hylton (1385–1447)
- William Hylton, de jure 6th Baron Hylton (d. 1457)
- Sir William Hylton, de jure 7th Baron Hylton (1451–1500)
- Sir William HYLTON, de jure 8th Baron Hylton (d. 1535) (Mark’s grandfather)
- Sir Thomas Hylton, de jure 9th Baron Hylton (d. 1560)
- Sir William HYLTON, de jure 10th Baron Hylton (c. 1510–1565) (Mark’s father) Sir William inherited the family estate and Hylton Castle from his brother Sir Thomas Hylton who died childless after 4 marriages; this was probably about 1560/61
- Sir William Hylton, de jure 11th Baron Hylton (d. 1600)
- Henry Hylton, de jure 12th Baron Hylton (1586–1641)
- Robert Hylton, de jure 13th Baron Hylton (d. 1641)
- John Hylton, de jure 14th Baron Hylton (d. 1655)
- John Hylton, de jure 15th Baron Hylton (1628–1670)
- Henry Hylton, de jure 16th Baron Hylton (1637–1712)
- Richard Hylton, de jure 17th Baron Hylton (d. 1722)
- John Hylton, de jure 18th Baron Hylton (1699–1746) (abeyant)
Baron Hylton is a title that has been created twice, once in the Peerage of England and once in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. The first creation came in the Peerage of England 1295 when Robert Hylton was summoned to the Model Parliament as Lord Hylton by writ. His son, Alexander, was called to Parliament in 1332 and 1335, but no further summons were sent for his descendants. Therefore, the title has only been held de jure after the death of the second baron. Indeed, the last baron was Member of Parliament for Carlisle after “inheriting” the title, due to this anomaly. Despite this, the creation is deemed to have fallen into abeyance on the death of the eighteenth baron with male heirs in 1746.
Henry Hylton, de jure 12th Baron Hylton (1586 – 30 March 1641) was an English nobleman, considered eccentric and sometimes given the name the Mad Baron.
Hylton was the eldest son of Thomas Hylton (himself the son of William Hylton, de jure 11th Baron Hylton) and his wife, Anne née Bowes (daughter of Sir George Bowes of Streatlam Castle). In 1600, Hylton inherited the right to the barony of Hylton from his grandfather (his father having died in c. 1598. However, no Barons Hylton had been called to Parliament since the second baron in the 14th century, therefore Hylton was not technically a peer.
As Hylton was only thirteen years old when he inherited the Hylton estates in County Durham, he became a royal ward. He was placed in the care of Henry Robinson, Bishop of Carlisle and later married off to Mary Wortley, the daughter of Sir Richard Wortley, who managed the Hylton estates during Hylton’s minority. The marriage was probably never consummated as he lived apart from his wife for nearly 30 years, choosing instead to live with his cousin, Nathaniel Hylton, who was vicar of Billingshurst in Sussex, and later with Lady Shelley at her home of Michelgrove, near Petworth.
When Scotland invaded County Durham and the Hylton estates in 1641 as part of the Bishops’ Wars, Hylton made his will that year and appointed Lady Shelley as his executrix. Not knowing how long the Scots would occupy his abandoned estates, he confirmed in his will that he had no children or male heirs and also left the bulk of his estate to the Corporation of London for a lease of ninety-nine years. He also requested that he be buried in St Paul’s Cathedral “under a faire tumbe like in fashion to the tumbe of Dr. Dunne”, however this was not carried out. His wife later married Sir Thomas Smith, the “title” passed to his brother, Robert and the estate was later reclaimed by Hylton’s nephew, John Hylton, de jure 15th Baron Hylton.
Hylton Castle is a ruined stone castle in the North Hylton area of Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, England. Originally built from wood by the Hilton (later Hylton) family shortly after the Norman Conquest in 1066, it was later rebuilt in stone in the late 14th to early 15th century. The castle underwent major changes to its interior and exterior in the 18th century and it remained the principal seat of the Hylton family until the death of the last “baron” in 1746. It was then Gothicized but neglected until 1812, when it was revitalised by a new owner. Standing empty again until the 1840s, it was briefly used as a school until it was purchased again in 1862. The site passed to a local coal company in the early 20th century and was taken over by the state in 1950.
One of the castle’s main features, is the heraldic devices found mainly on the west façade, which have been retained from the castle’s original construction. They depict the coats of arms belonging to local gentry and peers of the late 14th to early 15th centuries and provide an approximate date of the castle’s reconstruction from wood to stone.
The first castle on the site, built by Henry de Hilton in about 1072, was likely to have been built of wood. It was subsequently re-built in stone by Sir William Hylton (1376–1435) as a four storey, gatehouse-style, fortified manor house, similar in design to Lumley and Raby. Although called a gatehouse, it belongs to a type of small, late 14th century castle, similar to Old Wardour, Bywell andNunney castles. The castle was first mentioned in a household inventory taken in 1448, as “a gatehouse constructed of stone” and although no construction details survive, it is believed the stone castle was built sometime between 1390 and the early 15th century, due to the coat of arms featured above the west entrance It has been suggested that Sir William intended to erect a larger castle in addition to the gatehouse, but abandoned his plan.
In relation to the photograph, the shields are:
- England and France quarterly – The banner of Henry IV of England
- Quarterly 1 and 4: Or a Lion rampant Azure (Percy); 2 and 3:Gules, three luces haurientArgent (Lucy) – Henry Percy, 1st Earl of Northumberland
- Percy (unquartered) – Sir Henry “Hotspur” Percy (son of the above)
- A Lion rampant debruised by a bend – Sir Peter Tilliol
- Within a bordure two Lions passant – Felton of Edlington
- Azure, three herons Argent – Sir William Heron
- A Lion rampant – believed to be the Royal coat of arms of Scotland
- Quarterly, Argent, two bars Azure and Or six annulets Gules (Hylton quartering Hylton of Swine) – The Westmoreland branch of the Hyltons.
- Argent, a fess Gules inter three popinjays Vert – Sir Ralph Lumley(later Baron Lumley)
- A Lion within a bordure engrailed – Sir Thomas Grey (or his son)
- Or and Gules quarterly, over all on a bend three scallops – Sir Ralph Evers (Eure)
- Azure, a chief dancette Or – FitzRanulph of Middleham
- Argent, two bars, and three mullets in chief – Sir William Washington (ancestor of George Washington)
- Argent, a fess inter three crescents Gules – Sir Robert Ogle
- William de Ros, 7th Baron de Ros
- Ermine, on a canton Gules anorle Or – Sir Thomas Surtees
- Ermine, three bows Gules – Sir Robert Bowes (ancestor of Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon)
- Thomas Weston, chancellor to Bishop Skirlaw
- Walter Skirlaw (Bishop of Durham 1388–1406)
- Argent, two bars Azure – Sir William HYLTON
The household inventory taken on Sir William’s death in 1435 mentions, in addition to the castle, a hall, four chambers, two barns, a kitchen, and the chapel, indicating the existence of other buildings on the site at that time. Apart from the castle and chapel, the other buildings were probably all of timber. In 1559, the gatehouse featured in another household inventory as the “Tower”, when floors and galleries were inserted to subdivide the great hall.
The eccentric Henry Hylton, de jure 12th Baron Hylton left the castle to the City of London Corporation on his death in 1641, to be used for charitable purposes for ninety-nine years. It was returned to the family after the Restoration, to Henry’s nephew, John Hylton, de jure 15th Baron Hylton.
Cauld Lad of Hylton
The ruins of Hylton Castle (in Sunderland, Northern England) are reputed to be haunted by the ghost of a murdered stable boy Robert Skelton, known locally as the Cauld Lad of Hylton. The events are said to have taken place in the 16th or 17th century and there are several legends concerning the ghost’s origins.
One story states that the stable boy was caught courting Baron Hylton’s daughter, and was killed.
Another version says that the baron ordered that his horse be prepared for an important journey, but Skelton had overslept. There are several versions of what happened next. The enraged baron was said to have either
- decapitated the boy
- hit the boy on the back of the head with a riding crop, striking a spot that had been injured (and weakened) the day before, causing a fatal blow
- stabbed him with a nearby pitchfork.
He was then reported to have disposed of the body in a deep pond, or an unused well. Several months later, the body was recovered. The baron was tried for Skelton’s murder, but had an alibi. An old farm worker stated that the baron had ordered the boy to remove a tool from the top shelf in the barn, and the boy had fallen, seriously wounding himself in the process. The baron had tended to the wounds, but the boy had died. It is on record that Robert Hylton, 13th Baron Hylton was pardoned in 1609.
Soon afterwards, strange events began to occur in the castle. The kitchen would be tidied at night if left in a mess, or messed up if left tidy. An unseen person would take hot ashes from the fires, and lie on them, leaving an imprint of a body. Chamber pots were emptied on the floor.
After a while, a cook stayed up until midnight to see who was causing the mischief. He saw the ghost of a naked boy, and heard him crying “I’m cauld” (“I’m cold”). The cook and his wife left a warm cloak for the ghost, and the next night they heard, “Here’s a cloak and here’s a hood, the Cauld Lad of Hylton will do no more good.” The ghost disappeared and the strange occurrences ceased, though even now people claim to have heard the ghostly cries of the Cauld Lad.
The behaviour of the ghost suggests a poltergeist. Other versions of the tale describe the Cauld Lad as an elf, barghest or brownie who is under a spell from which he can only be released by being given a gift. His mischief is intended to draw attention to himself in the hope that he will be saved. He sings the following song, which indicates how long he expects to be enchanted:
- “Wae’s me, wae’s me, (= Woe is me, woe is me,)
The acorn’s not yet fallen from the tree,
That’s to grow the wood,
That’s to make the cradle,
That’s to rock the bairn (= That will rock the baby),
That’s to grow to the man
That’s to lay me!” (= That will exorcise me!)
According to Robert Surtees, a local antiquarian, as well as haunting the castle, the Cauld Lad also appeared as a ferryman on the North Hylton side of the River Wear and would take passengers halfway across before disappearing and leaving them stranded. Even as late as the 1970s, long after the ghost was supposed to have been laid, local people claimed to have seen mysterious lights high up in the castle. This is despite the fact the upper floors in the castle had gone.
Joseph Jacobs included this tale in English Fairy Tales; he noted that the ghost’s behavior is similar to that of the elves in The Elves and the Shoemaker, collected by the Brothers Grimm. There is a fairy tale titled The Cauld Lad of Hilton in the anthology Old Witch Boneyleg by Ruth Manning-Sanders. A play recounting the tale The Cauld Lad O’Hylton by James Roland MacLaren was performed in Sunderland in the 1870s.
Many genealogies say that Mark (Roger) Hilton’s father-in-law was John Mainwaring, but according to the Mainwaring geneology online at Ancestry.com (A Short History of the Mainwarings, Chapter II, page 31), John Mainwaring (1500-1577), son of Katherine Honford and John Mainwaring of Over Peover, died without issue. The only male heir of Katherine Honford and John Mainwaring of Over Peover that had issue was Randle Mainwaring. There are 66 trees on line at Ancestry.com that claim that the John Mainwaring (who died without issue) had a son named John Mainwaring born in 1530 by an unknown wife, who in turn had a daughter who married a Hilton. This woman named Mainwaring was not descended from the Mainwarings who can trace their roots back to Harry Hotspur. The Mainwaring geneology is correct, not what’s on Ancestry.com.
If you think you have Plantagenet or English Royal ancestry and are an American, you should consult “Plantagenet Ancestry of 17th Century American Colonists” online at Ancestry.com. There are only about 190 people who emigrated to America in the 1600’s with plantagenet or royal ancestry, among them the Cottons [true Mainwaring descendants], the Saltonstalls, the Randolphs of Virginia and some people you never heard of. Also, there are even more people listed in Ancestral Roots of Certain Americans who came to America before 1700, by Frederick Lewis Weis, also online at Ancestry.com. Virtually all of my ancestors were ordinary Puritans who came over to America before 1650 from England. So far I have found 6 (out of a thousand or so) who are descended from the Plantagenets, Charlemagne, Welsh Princes, Scottish Kings, etc. I would guess that a lot of people with “old” ancestry are similarly descended, so I urge you to look at these books. These are both well respected authorities in the genealogical community.
1. William HILTON (See his page)
2. Edward Hilton
Edward’s wife Katherine Shapleigh was born 1600 in Kingsweare, Devonshire, England. Her parents were Nicholas SHAPLEIGH and [__?__]. Katherine died before 1650 in Exeter, Rockingham, New Hampshire.
Further up the river Piscataqua at a location called “Dover Point”….a settlement had been started in 1623 by the Edward Hilton, member of the fisherman’s guild in England…
.and one of David Thomson’s compatriots after his admission to the Fishmonger’s Guild, 9 April 1621…an apprentice of Marie Hilton…..at London, England. Edward Hilton was baptized at Northwich, Chester County, England at Witton Chapelry on 9 Jun. 1596, the son of William Hilton…..and he had a brother William Hilton, who, with his wife and three children arrived on the ship “Fortune” with Capt. William Trevore, at Plymouth Plantation ….the youngest child baptized by the Rev. John Lyford there in 1624……but they sought out the services of David Thomson at Boston Bay to transport them to the Piscataqua river settlement of Edward Hilton….and they settled first at land on the Maine side of the river across from Edward Hilton’s settlement on Dover Point …..later removing to Kittery, Maine and later still to land on the York River in York, Maine.
Edward Hilton had received his patent to this land…and received livery of seisin of his Swampscot patent, 12 Mar 1629/30. However, he was in control at Dover Point, 4 Dec 1632, when Governor Winthrop Received a letter from Captain Neale and William Hilton that they had sent four (4) vessels and forty (40) men to protect Pemaquid from Dixie Bull….. and did not remove to live at “Newfields” (a part of Exeter, NH) until he had sold this Dover Point Patent to the Bristol Men….who sold it to the Lords Say and Brooke…..and they sold to the men of Shrewsbury….and Governor Thomas Wiggin had been sent to govern the Dover land.
With Edward Hilton had come Thomas Roberts, who married Edward Hilton’s daughter Rebecca. Thomas Roberts remained at Dover Point with Rebecca …and is buried there……Edward Hilton and his family were buried at Newfield, NH ….. a site which was marked by the “Piscataqua Pioneers” after sufficient excavation to locate the old homestead on August 31, 1933.
There is no record of any transactions or business agreements between Edward Hilton and David Thomson; nor has there been found any statement showing why Mr. Hilton settled on a part of Mr. Thomson’s grant of six thousand acres in 1623, in nearly the same month; but these facts are known, and give a reasonable explanation of how the arrangement came about.
Mr. Leonard Pomeroy, as has already been shown by the “Indenture,” had a one-fourth interest in the land venture; Mr. Pomeroy owned the ship “Providence” in which Hilton’s party came over; a cove at Hilton’s Point where the “Providence” landed, was named Pomeroy’s Cove; and probably Mr. Pomeroy was a passenger on the “Providence” in its pioneer voyage up the Pascataqua River. So it is a fair inference to draw from this that the Hilton Point territory was Mr. Pomeroy’s portion of the six thousand acres, and the Hiltons settled there under his management or at his request. Mr. Hilton must have known before he sailed from Plymouth that the Pascataqua River was in the section of New England where Mr. Thomson designed to locate his grant, otherwise he would not have come here, immediately following the ship “Jonathan.” One thing is certain: he came, and he remained here. Mr. Thomson came, and soon went away to Thomson Island in Boston Harbor.
At this time Edward Hilton was a young man of twenty-two or twenty-three years, and when he commenced the settlement on the Pascataqua River, which later developed into Dover, he was twenty-six or twenty-seven. His brother William was a few years older. Mr. Pomeroy, his coadjutor in the venture, was about fifty years of age. He was member of the local Council of Plymouth in 1612 and later and mayor of that city in 1623, and was a wealthy and active man of business. It appears that he was the financial manager of the founding of Dover as Capt. John Mason was of Portsmouth seven years later, in 1630.
Edward Hilton was no common fisherman as some might erroneously infer from the statement made by all the New Hampshire historians, that he was “a fishmonger of London.” While in England in 1873-74 Mr. John T. Hassam visited Fishmongers’ Hall in London, which is the headquarters of one of the oldest and wealthiest guilds, or great companies, in that ancient city; its records date far back of the beginning of settlements in New England when the fishing business was very profitable for those who owned ships and had the means to employ men to come over here and catch fish for the English market; that was what the Fishmongers’ Guild did; and admiission to membership was a very rigid and exclusive operation; none but well-to-do men could get in. Mr. Hassam asked permission to examine the records from 1600 to 1623, with the purpose in view of ascertaining when Edward and William Hilton became members of the guild. The clerk in charge of the old records would not permit him, at first, to look at them, but said he would make an examination and report what he might find. A short time after, Mr. Hassam called again and the official informed him that Edward Hilton was admitted as a Freeman in the year 1621, and what appeared to be “Pawl Hilton” in 1616. Mr. Hassam then asked permission to look at the word “Pawl”; the clerk courteously consented for him to do so; on careful examination, he came to the conclusion that the man who made the record intended it for “William Hilton.” There was no question about Edward Hilton’s name. This shows the social and business standing of Edward Hilton in London, in 1621.
On November 7, 1629, Captain John Mason received his grant or patent from the Council of Plymouth, which is known as the “New Hampshire Patent” from which the State finally received its name. Its coast boundary was from the Merrimack to the Pascataqua River; and back into the country to Milton Three Ponds, and thence northwestward till three score miles be finished. The other line was the Merrimack River to its source (The Weirs of Winnepesaukee Lake). And then in a direct line to head of the easterly boundary. This, of course, covered every part of Mr. Edward Hilton’s grant. So to protect his property he had the Council of Plymouth grant him what is known as the Squamscot Patent, defining his territory, against any claims Capt. Mason or his heirs might set up. This Patent bears date of March 12, 1629-30, only four months after Mason’s date of November, 1629.
THE HILTON OR SQUAMSCOT PATENT.
Know ye that said President and Council by virtue and authority of his Majesty’s said Letters Patent, and for and in consideration that Ed Hilton and his Associates hath already at his and their own proper cost and charge transported sundry servants to plant in New England aforesaid, at a place there called by the natives Wecanne-cohunt, otherwise Hilton’s Point, lying some two leagues from the mouth of the River Paskataquack, in New England aforesaid, where they have already “built some houses and planted Come. And for that he doth further intend by God’s Divine Assistance to transport thither more people and cattle, to the good increase and advancement, and for the better settling and strengthening of their plantation, as also that they may be better encouraged to proceed in so pious a work which may espeoially tend to the propagation of Religion, and the great increase of trade, to his Majesty’s Realms and Dominions, and the advancement of public plantations—
Have given, granted and Engrossed and confirmed, and by this their present writing, doe fully, clearly and absolutely give, grant, Enfeoffe and Confirme unto the said Edward Hilton, his heirs and Assigns forever: All that part of the River Pascataquack, called or known by the name of Wecanacohunt, or Hilton’s Point, with the south side of said River, up to the fall of the River, and three miles into the main land by all the breadth aforesaid; Together with all the shores, creeks, bays, harbors, and coasts alongst the sea, within the limits and bounds aforesaid, with woods and islands next adjoining to the land not being already granted by said Council unto any other person or persons, together also with all the lands, rivers, mines, minerals of what kind or nature soe ever, etc. etc.;
To have and to hold all and singular the said lands and premises, etc. etc. unto said Edward Hilton, his heirs and assigns, etc. they paying unto our sovereign Lord the King, one fifth part of gold or silver ores, and another fifth part to the Council aforesaid and their successors, by the rent hereafter in these presents reserved, yielding and paying therefor yearly forever, unto said Council, their successors or assigns, for every one hundred acres of said land in use, the sum of twelve pence of Lawful money of England into the hands of the Rent gatherer for the time being, of the said Council, for all services whatsoever:— And the said Council for the affairs of England, in America aforesaid, do by these presents nominate, depute, authorize, appoint, and in their place and stead put William Blackston, of New England, in America, aforesaid, Clerk: William Jeffries and Thomas Lewis, of the same place, Gents, and either or any of them jointly or separately, to be their (the Council’s), true and lawful Attorney or Attorneys, and in their name and stead to enter into each part or portion of land and other premises with the appointments by these presents given and granted, or into some part thereof in the name of the whole, and peacable and quiet possession and seisin thereof for them to take, and the same so had and taken in their name and stead, to deliver possession & seisin thereof unto Edward Hilton, the said Edward Hilton, his heirs, associates and assigns, according to the tenor, forme and effect of these presents, Ratifying, Conforming and allowing all & whatsoever the said Attorney, or Attorneys, or either of them, shall doe in and about the Premises by virtue hereof.
In witness whereof the said Council for the affairs of New England in America aforesaid, have hereunto caused their Common Seal to be put, the twelfth day of March, Anno: Domi: 1629. (1630, N. S.)
Memo: That upon the seventh day of July, Anno : Domi: Annoq; R’s Caroli pri. Septimo : By Virtue of a warrant of Attorney within mentioned from the Council of the affairs in New England, under their common Seal unto Thomas Lewis, he the said Thomas Lewis had taken quiet possession of the within mentioned premises and livery and seisin thereof, hath given to the within named Edward Hilton in the presence of us:
Vera copia efficit per nos.
Vera Copia, Attest, Rich: Partridge, Cleric.
The administration of Edward Hilton was granted 6 April 1671 to Edward Hilton, William Hilton, Samuel Hilton and Charles Hilton, and they were enjoined to bring in an inventory. On petition of “Mrs. Katherin Hilton” it was ordered that her thirds be set out at the July 1671 court. The inventory of Edward Hilton was taken 9 and 10 March 1670/71 and totalled £2204;, it was brought into court on 29 June 1671, at which time a claim was made to part of the estate by Christopher Palmer on behalf of two of the administrator’s sisters. The inventory included £1810 in real estate: “the manor and appurtenances,” £600; “marsh & meadows and appurtenances,” £600; “the sawmill & privileges & appurtenances,” £600; and “ten acres on the south side of the brook, towards Exeter,” £10. On 1 July 1671 it was ordered that “all the land, meadows & sawmills shall stand & do stand bound until the creditors be satisfied” “Mis Katterine Hilton, executrix [sic] to Mr. Edw: Hilton deceased,” sued George Norton, but withdrew the case at York court, 19 Sep 1671.
3. Rebecca Hilton
Rebecca’s husband Thomas Roberts was born circa 1600 at Woolaston, Gloucestershire, England. His parents were Thomas Roberts and Frances James. Thomas died on 27 Sep 1673 at Hilton Point River, Dover, Strafford, NH.
Thomas Roberts along with Edward and William Hilton were the first settlers in Dover in 1623, just three years after the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth.
Thomas Roberts’ wife was named Rebecca and it has often been suggested that she was a sister of Edward and William Hilton. For examples Scales says, “…it is a tradition that Mr. Roberts’ wife was a Hilton, sister to Edward and William. There is no record in regard to this matter of matrimony but various corroborating data indicate that such was probably the fact in the relationship of these three men.” . However, others say that this is only a hypothesis and cannot be firmly established.. Nonetheless, many descendants of this line, seem to readily accept this possibility as fact.
- Laforest, Thomas J., “Our French-Canadian Ancestors”, Vol X (1990, LISI Press, Palm Harbor, Fla), pp. 75-84
- Cholette, J.L, “Jack and Bonnie Cholette’s Family Home Page”, www.familtytreemaker.com/users/c/h/o/John-L-Cholette
- Tanguay, Cyprien, “Dictionnaire Genealogique des Familles Canadiennes”, (Montreal, 1887) Vol 1, p 9; Vol 3, p. 67
- Noyes, S., Libby, C.T., Davis, W.G., “Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire”, (Baltimore, 1879) p321
- Coleman, Emma Lewis, “New England Captives Carried to Canada, (Portland, Maine, 1925), Vol 1, pp. 92, 123, 126, 143, 227, 233-234, 254.
- Scales, John, “History of Dover, N.H.”, (now available on-line at http://www.heritagebooks.com), p1, 302
- Smith, Daniel J., “Rambles about the Dover Area, 1623-1973”, Ch VIII, p25-26
- Clark, Harman, P.O. Box 311, Sheffield, VT 05866, email@example.com, personal communication with numerous references (e.g. “Thomas Roberts of Dover, N.H. and Some of His Descendants”, by Henry Winthrop Hardon; 4 vol. typescript, written in 1920, located at N.H. Historical Society; also on microfilm at FHL, Salt Lake City [Microfilm #015533 and #015534]. “Randolph Genealogy”, page 57, “Is Daniel Roberts of Lebanon, Maine the son of Benjamin 4 Roberts”, by Barbara Roberts Baylis, NHGR 38:20 (1994)).
- Various web sites at http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com (e.g. Susan Gagnon Wilson firstname.lastname@example.org ; Jean-Louis Ranger Jlranger@videotron.ca ; D. B. Robinson email@example.com ; Sue Collins, Collins30038@aol.com
- Burke, Sir Bernard, LL. D., “A Genealogical History of the Dormant, Abeyant
and Forfeited and extinct Peerages of the British Empire”, (London, 1866) pp.
- Pinches, J.H. & R.V. “The Royal Heraldry of England, (Charles Tuttle Co,
Rutland, VT. 1974) p.115
Ancestry of Charles Stinson Pillsbury and John Sargent Pillsbury (1938) By Holman, Mary Lovering, 1868-1947; Pillsbury, Helen Pendleton Winston, 1878-1957