John JOHNSON Sr. (c. 1564 – 1643) was Alex’s 12th Great Grandfather, one of 8,192 in this generation of the Shaw line.
Captain John Johnson was born in 1564 in Canterbury, Kent, England. His parents were Francis JOHNSON and Elizabeth THORGOOD. He married Hannah THROCKMORTON in 1586 in Wilmington, Kent, England. John died 14 Dec 1643 in Wilmington, Kent, England
Hannah Throckmorton was born in 1570 in Wilmington, Kent, England.. Her parents were Sir William THROCKMORTON and Cicely BAYNHAM. Her grandparents were Sir Thomas THROCKMORTON and Elizabeth BERKELEY and Thomas BAYNHAM and Mary WINTER. Hannah died in 1666/1667 in Wilmington, Kent, England.
Children of John and Hannah:
|1. ?||John Johnson||1590
Herne Hill, Canterbury, Kent, England.
21 Sep 1613
Roxbury, Suffolk, Mass.
Grace Negus Fawer
Roxbury, Suffolk, MA.
|30 Sep 1659
St. Eustry Cemetery, Boston, Suffolk, Mass.
|9 Dec 1677 in Charlestown, Suffolk, Mass|
|4.||Edward Johnson||Sep 1598
|5.||Solomon JOHNSON||c. 1601
Clerkenwell, London, England
|Elinor (Eleanor) CRAFT (Croft)||28 JUL 1690
Sudbury, Middlesex, Massachusetts.
Herne Hill, London, England
|24 Jul 1693 in Hingham, Plymouth, Mass|
1. John Johnson
Findagrave says John and Hannah had a son, John Johnson, about whom nothing is known except his name. It says there is no connection to the John Johnson who emigrated to Roxbury, Mass
John’s will, dated Sep. 30, 1659 (the day he died) and proved Oct. 15, 1659 names son Isaac as co-executor. Arrived in New England with the Winthrop fleet at Salem, Jun. 22, 1630. He settled at Roxbury, MA and was made Freeman on May 18, 1631. Subsequently served town and colony in many capacities, including Constable (first on Oct. 19, 1630), Surveyor General, Town Clerk, Deputy to the House of Deputies, and Clerk of the Military Company of Massachusetts. The position as Surveyor General of Arms and Ammunitions of the Colonies made Capt. Johnson responsible for the acquisition, maintenance and distribution of the primary means of protection. Gov. John Winthrop wrote in his Journal under the date of Feb. 6, 1645:
John Johnson, the Surveyor General of Arms and Ammunition, a very industrious and faithful man in his place, having built a fair house in the midst of the town, with divers barns and outhouses, it fell on fire in the day time, no man knowing by what occasion, and there being in it seventeen barrels of the country’s powder, and many arms, all was suddenly burnt and blown up, to the value of four or five hundred pounds, wherein a special providence of God appeared, for, he, being from home, the people came together to help and many were in the house, no man thinking of the powder till one of the company put them in mind of it, whereupon they all withdrew, and soon after the powder took fire and blew up all about it, and shook the houses in Boston and Cambridge, so that men thought it had been an earthquake, and carried great pieces of timber a great way off, and some rags and such light things beyond Boston meeting house, there being then a stiff gale south, it drove the fire from the other houses in the town (for this was the most northerly) otherwise it had endangered the greatest part of the town.
John’s first wife Mary Heath died May 1629, Hertfordshire, England; bur. May 15, 1629, Ware, Hertfordshire, England. Her parents were William Heath and Agnes Cheney.
John was one of the founders of the town and church at Roxbury, MA and, together with his sons Isaac and Humphrey, was an original donor to the Free School in Roxbury. Married first 21 Sep 1613, Ware, Hertfordshire, England, second by 1633 Margery (b. England; bur. 9 Jun 1655, Roxbury, MA), and third 1655 or later Grace NEGUS (d. Dec. 1671), widow of Barnabas FAWER, and sister of Jonathan and Benjamin NEGUS.