William Woodcock Sr.

William WOODCOCK Sr. (1586 – 1638) was Alex’s 10th Great Grandfather, one of 2,048 in this generation of the Shaw line.

William Woodcock  Immigrant Ancestor

William Woodcock  was born 1586 in London, Middlesex, England.  He was the son of William WOODCOCK .  He married Alice WASHBURNE.  William died 12 Oct 1638 in London, England.

Alice Washburn was born Jan 01, 1595 in London, Middlesex, England; died 1688.  She was the daughter of Robert WASHBURNE and Mary HERIOT.  Alice died

Children of William and Mary:

Name Born Married Departed
1. William WOODCOCK 1610
Oct 1648
Hingham, Norfolk, Mass.
Mary [__?__]
10 Dec 1663
Rehoboth, Mass
17 Oct 1703 in Attleboro, Mass.
2. Thomas Woodcock  1612
 After 1674
Boston, Mass?
3. Samuel Woodcock 1617
London, England
4. Daniel Woodcock 1620
London, England
5. Mary Woodcock 1622
Robert Bridges
6. Sarah Woodcock 1625
London, England
7. John Woodcock 20 Jul 1627
London, England
Sarah Curtis
bef. 1645
Roxbury, Mass
Joanna [__?__]
 20 Oct 1701
Attleboro, Mass



1. William WOODCOCK (See his page)

2. Thomas Woodcock

the family tradition is that “three brothers Woodcock came to this country from England about the middle of the 17th century, and settled at Attleboro. They were evidently men with some ready capital. The manuscript records at Attleboro, give a history of John Woodcock, and the proprietor’s records of Rehoboth mention a William, and a Thomas Woodcock appears in Boston in 1674 as a citizen.

7. John Woodcock

John was baptized on 20 Jul 1627 at Saint Antholin Budge Row, London, London, England and it shows his parents as William and Alis “Alice” Woodcock. The baptism records for his siblings are located at the same Saint Antholin Parrish.

John immigrated  20 Mar 1635/36 , with the Hull Company and is recorded as a husbandman aged 34, from Broadway, Co Somerset.  “Bound for New England, Waimouth, ye 20th of March, 1635, John Woodcock from Dorset–2.” He was the only one of that surname among the list of passengers there recorded. He was evidently a lone adventurer starting for the New World. We are led to believe that he was at the time of sailing about 22 yrs. of age.

John’s first wife Sarah Curtis was baptized  20 Jul 1627, St Antholin Parish Church, London or 05 Aug 1627 in Nazeing, Essex, England.  Her parents were William Curtis, Sr. and Sarah Eliot. Sarah died 29 Nov 1676 in Attleboro or Rehoboth, MA. Christening:
Immigrant Ancestor: 10 Mar 1635/36, England, Somerset, to MA
Migration: 10 Mar 1635/36, England to Massachusetts

After John died, his second wife, Joanna [__?__] married James Fowler, at Attleboro.

John Woodcock and family established a small settlement in North Attleborough in 1669, which subsisted on agriculture, fishing and hunting. By 1670, Woodcock had received a license to open a tavern. The settlement was attacked during King Philip’s War, with two killed and one home burned, but the garrison house which Woodcock had built survived the attack. The Woodcock-Garrison house was used as sleeping quarters for George Washington on his army’s march to Boston to rid the city of General Thomas Gage’s troops. The Garrison house is still open for tours and is an especially popular destination for field trips by local school children.

The old garrison house was torn down in 1806 and a large building was erected in its place, probably reusing much of the old wood. The addition was moved back a little to where it is located today and became a tavern. It was later turned into a dwelling house known as the “Aunt Cynthia Hatch House” a

Woodcock Garrison House all dressed up for Christmas

John Woodcock in Roxbury and Springfield

There is some doubt whether the John Woodcock in Roxbury in the 1630’s and 1640’s is the same person who built the first garrison house in North Attleborough in 1669.  Some doubt the connection because the early John was a rough character. The Roxbury records were destroyed by fire in 1652.

In the summer of 1635, William Pynchan of Roxbury received the consent of the general court of Mass. Bay to remove to the Connecticut river and despatched two men, John Cabel and John Woodcock, to “The Wilderness” for the purpose of erecting a habitation and preparing for those who were to follow. These men erected a structure on the west side of the Connecticut in the Meadow, which from this circumstance was subsequently called “House Meadow.” The house was doubtless occupied by Cabel and Woodcock during the summer, but being informed by the Indians that the site was subject to overflow, it was abandoned and a new location selected, and a house was erected on the east side of the river. The location of the first house is described in an entry made by John Holyoke in the Register of Deeds, 1779, “as that meadow on the south of Agauam river where the English did at first build a house, also where the English kept their residence who first came to settle and plant at Springfield now so called.”


William Pynchon, Founder of Roxbury and Springfield, Mass.

It seems quite probable that the John Woodcock here mentioned is the emigrant that left Waymouth on the 20th of March, 1635. That he was identical with John Woodcock of Rehoboth, the first American ancestor of the Woodcocks of Eastern Mass., is a question that has not been settled.  In comparing the histories of Woodcock of Springfield and Woodcock of Rehoboth a difference will be noted in the temperament and capabilities of the two men.

While living at the “new plantation” established by Pynchon, Woodcock was noted for his litigation and it is easy to follow him in the court records for the seven years that he made his home there. He was allotted a lot of land by the first proprietors. The size of the lot “8 rods wide” establishes the fact that Woodcock was a single man at this time, as married men were allotted “12 rods wide.”

The following is copied from the court records of William Pynchon, who was authorized by the General court to try causes:

14 Nov  1639 –   “A meetinge to order some towne affairs and to try causes by jury.

The Jury–Henry Smith, Henry Gregory, Jo Leonard, Jo Searles, Samuel Hubbard, Samuel Wright.

The Action–John Woodcock complains against Jo Cabel in an action of the case for wages due to him for certaine work he did to a house that was built in Agauam side for the plantation.

The Verdict–The jury finds for the defendant, but withal they find the promise that Jo Cabel made to the plaintiffe to see him paid for his work, firme and goode. But as for the five days in cominge up with John Cabel, we find them not due to be paid, for he came up not purposely, but in his coming he aimed at a lot each end of his he did attain. Moreover we do agree that John Cabel is ingaged to the plaintiffe for work done about the house, yet we also judge that Joe Woodcock is fully satisfied in regard that he hath had the use of the ould (indian) ground and of the house all that sommer as far as Joe Cabel had himselfe.”

2 Jan 1640 -“Rev. Mr. Moxon complained of John Woodcock for slander, Woodcock having accused the reverend gentleman of taking a false oath against him at Hartford.”

Then follows two suits of Woodcock vs. Gregory about a pigge and hogge. These trials are dated Feb., 1640, and Sept., 1640.

15 Feb  1641  – Robert Ashley complained of Woodcock for not delivering a gunn that the plaintiffe had purchased of him. Jan 5th, 1642.

In a 2nd division of plantinge ground single pfsons are to have 8 rods in bredth maryed pfsons 10 rod in bredth, bigger familys 12 rod, to begin upward at ye edge of ye hill. John Woodcock 8 rod in bredth. This shows Woodcock to have been a man with no family. His name does not appear again on the records of Springfield after Jan. 5th, 1642. Francis Ball is referred to as the owner of this lot (first occupied by Woodcock) in a report on the town records made in Feb., 1644.

From the County and Probate Records at Northampton Feb. 12th, 1690, Widow Abigail Stebbins testified “that her first husband, Francis Ball, bought of John Woodcock allotments in Springfield, and paid five pounds for his labor, and what he had done,” and at the same time Thomas Merrickesen, one of the ancient planters and settlers of Springfield, further confirmed Ball’s title to the land. This home lot that Woodcock sold to Ball for £5 was situated on the south side of what is now Elm street, and is now occupied by the Chicopee bank building, the Court Square Theatre building, Hamden County court house and many other buildings.”

Referring again to the case of Moxon vs. Woodcock the plaintiff claimed £9 and 19s. damages, and Woodcock being found guilty, £6 and 13s. was awarded. A few days after this, “John Searles, constable of Springfield” was required by the magistrate “to attach the body of John Woodcock upon an execution granted to Mr. George Moxon.”

Moxon seems to have persisted in getting satisfaction and carried the case up to the General court at Mass. Bay. In the “Bibliographical Sketch of the Colonial Laws of Mass., 1630 to 1686, we find

“Present, the Governor Wm. Winthrop, Increase Nowell,  the 12th, 3rd mo. 1642. John Woodcock for his many  miscarriages was censured to be whipt.”

Pioneer of North Attleboro

John Woodcock first appears of record in Rehoboth on the 28th, 4th m., 1647, when he is allotted by the proprietors the land before granted to Edward Patteson. He was living there as early as 1654, probably for some years previous. The precise date cannot be ascertained. He came from Roxbury, where he owned real estate. He was admitted a freeman there in 1673. He also had a grant of land in May, 1662, for a small house near the church at Rehoboth, for “Lord’s day.”

The first settlement within the bounds of the present [1886] town of Attleborough was in the neighborhood of the Baptist meetinghouse, where Hatch’s old tavern still stands. It was commenced by Mr. John Woodcock, his sons and their families, soon after the first division in 1669. Here he built a public house on the “Bay Road,” and fortified it as a garrison, and laid out lands to the amount of about three hundred acres, which afterwards made an excellent farm. At this time and subsequently he took up in several parts of the town about six hundred acres, part on his own shares, and the rest on rights which he purchased of Roger Amidown, James Redeway, Andrew Willett, etc. A part of this six hundred acres was on Bungay River, where Bishop’s shop once stood, and this he conveyed to his son Jonathan, with the ” saw-mill thereon standing.”

Woodcock built his house in 1669 and was licensed the following year to open a public house or tavern. He was warned to “keep good order” and that “no unruliness or ribaldry be permitted there.” Woodcock’s house was just one of several “garrison houses” built for protection against possible Indian attacks. Similar “garrison houses” were located in settlements such as Dedham, Seekonk and Swansea. In a cruel twist of fate, Woodcock’s “garrison house” failed to offer protection for a member of his own family. In April 1676, during King Philip’s War, Woodcock’s son, Nathaniel, was killed by Indians while working in a nearby corn field. The Indians cut off Nathaniel’s head and stuck it on a pole in front of the house. Nathaniel Woodcock was buried where he fell, and his grave is now in the center of what would become the Woodcock Cemetery.   Here is a Google Maps view, though the oldest existing headstone is dated 1755 and there are no Woodcock stones remaining.
Here is the letter John wrote asking for reinforcements

“Honored Governor and Council: I make bold to inform your honors that God has been pleased to give the heathen commission to break in upon us, who have slain two of my family, and another of my sons sorely wounded, shot with several bullets in the shoulders, but in the midst of our afflictions, God has shown us mercy. I was encouraged to keep my station by our authority, but of a sudden they were pleased to call off my garrison soldiers, and not giving me any warning, and I am in a great strait what to do. We are but fourteen of us, and but six that can bare arms, and most of us sick. I would intreat your honors to consider our afflicted condition, and send me some assistance for the present, until my family is able to draw off. And as my house and family have been serviceable to the country, I desire that I may not be forgotten by both colonies, but would intreat your honors to send me half a dozen men to relieve my family, for if I were able to go away I could not carry my provisions away with me. I have near a hundred bushels of corn in my house besides other provisions, and I bless God for it. And am very loth to go away and leave it to the heathen. We do judge that there is not above twelve or fifteen Indians that have have done all this evil, to our neighbors at Wrentham, and I would intreat your honors to send me a surgeon to dress my wounded son. I hope there is no danger to come if they come by night, Not to trouble you any further at present, begging your prayers, hoping God will move your hearts with compassion speedily to send us some relief, so I rest. Yours to serve in what I may,

April the 26th, 1676

At a meeting of the Council held at Boston, the 17th of June, 1676, at eight of the clock:

The Council being informed that the Indians are skulking to and again about Wrentham, Woodcocks (or Mount Hope) and having done mischief to the English. It is ordered that the Major of Suffolk issue out his orders forthwith for such a party as he judgeth is fit and necessary to repair to Dedham on 2nd day next early and range the woods to and again for the disarming, destroying and distressing of the enemy, wherever they find them, committing the conduct of that party to whome it seems mete. Ordering that each soldier be completely armed with firearms and ammunition, and provisions for four days. Past by the Council.

Instructions for Capt. Bratts

“Ordered to take 20 of his troops with such officers as he may choose, and an officer and ten troopers of Lieut. Haley’s troupe, and march to Dedham, where are ordered to be an officer and eighteen foot soldiers mounted from Dorchester, 6 from Roxbury and 24 from Dedham, with an officer. All appointed to be at Dedham, the rendezvous, this day at 4 p. m. S. C.

You are to march with your troopers and dragoons to be at John Woodcock’s by midnight, where you shall meet an Indian Pylot and his file of musketeers which pylot was engaged to bring you upon Philip and his company, who are not above 30 men as he saith, and not ten miles from Woodcock’s. Be sure to secure your pylot to prevent falsehood and escape. In case you meet not with a pylot at Woodcock’s you are to send to Mr. Newman at Rehoboth and let him know of your being there.”

Woodcock’s house was occupied for a garrison. It was licensed in 1670, according to the following record :—

“July 5th, 1670. John Woodcock is allowed by the Court to keep an Ordinary at the ten mile river (so called) which is in the way from Rehoboth to the Bay ; and likewise enjoined to keep good order, that no unruliness or ribaldry be permitted there.”—Old Col. Rec.

John’s name first appears in the Rehoboth records ” the 28th 4th mo. 1647,” when he bought the lands of Ed. Patterson. ” The town gave to John Woodcock the lot before granted to Edward Pateson.”  He also had a grant of land in May, 1662, for a small house near the church for ” the Lord’s day,” and he was living in Rehoboth as early as July 28, 1662 — probably for sometime previous — though the precise date of his settling there cannot be ascertained.

He came there from Roxbury, where he owned real estate, but where he had previously lived is not known. John was admitted a freeman of that town May 14, 1673.

Woodcock was a man of some consideration in those days, his name frequently appearing in town offices and on committees. June 2, 1691, he was chosen ” Deputy to the General Court” from Rehoboth, and at several other times.

He held Indian rights in very low estimation. On one occasion he took the liberty of paying himself a debt due to him from a neighboring Indian, without the consent of the debtor or the intervention of jndge, jury, or sheriff, — for which achievement he received the following sentence from the Court, — an example of the rigid justice of the Puritans:

” 1654 John Woodcock of Rehoboth, for going into an Indian house and taking away an Indian child and some goods in lien of a debt the Indian owed him, was sentenced to set in the stocks at Rehoboth an hour on a Training day, and to pay a fine of forty shillings.”—Old Col. Rec, Court Orders, Book 3d.

John Woodcock, Sen., died October 20, 1701, having arrived at a very advanced age in spite of the many attempts which had been made by the Indians to destroy him. It is said that after his death the scars of seven bullet holes were counted on his body. He was an inveterate and implacable enemy to the Indians — the cause of which will hereafter appear in the notice of some events in Philip’s war. In encounters with them, on several occasions, he ran imminent risks of his life. He was foremost in all enterprises the object of which was the destruction of the Indians. He was a very useful man as a pioneer in the dangers and hardships of a new settlement, being cunning in contrivance and bold and active in execution.

Woodcock’s Garrison was a well-known place of rendezvous in the great Indian war, and was probably for some years the only house, excepting its immediate neighbors, on the ” Bay Road,” between Rehoboth and Dedham, though this was then the main road from Rhode Island, Bristol, and Rehoboth to Boston. The Bay road extended first from Rehoboth through what is now ” the city,” to West Attleborough, north to Woodcock’s, thence over Ten Mile hill to Jacob Shepardsou’s in what is now Foxborough, thence through Dedham and Roxbury to Boston.

This ” Garrison” was one in a chain of fortifications extending from Boston to Rhode Island. There was one in Boston, one in Dedham at Ames’ corner, Woodcock’s in this place, one at Rehoboth. situated in the centre of the ” Great Plain,” on the borders of which the first settlements were principally located, another at Newport on the Island, and perhaps others in the intermediate spaces. It was a famous place on this road — a convenient public house for travelers as well as a well-known station in Philip’s war. It witnessed many a military force on its march to the defence of the colonists, and such often halted and encamped there on their route overnight, and sometimes longer while waiting for additional forces. Companies were sometimes ordered to rendezvous there to wait the arrival of other troops who were to accompany them, and then the solitary places of the wilderness were enlivened by the tread of armed men and the sounds of martial music.

After the Indians had commenced the war by open hostilities, having killed several persons in the settlements near Mt. Hope, ” The government of Massachusetts,” says Mr. Baylies, ” promptly resolved to send assistance to Plymouth,” and on the 26th of June a company of infantry under command of Captain Henchman and a company of horse commanded by Captain Prentice marched for Mt. Hope ; and notwithstanding certain signs of ill omen which they fancied they saw in the heavens, which had great influence over the popular mind in that superstitious age, ” they continued their march, and reached the house of one Woodcock, (now in Attleborough) distant about 30 miles from Boston, before they halted. It was then morning, and they resolved to wait there the arrival of Capt. Mosely with his company of volunteers.” Mr Baylies says that” Mosely was a man of an intrepid spirit, and an excellent soldier. He had been a buccaneer in the West Indies, and had resided at Jamaica. The sounds of war revived his enthusiasm for deeds of enterprise and danger.”
In the course of the day he arrived at the rendezvous at Woodcock’s, with a company of one hundred and ten men, volunteers, amongst whom were ten or twelve privateersmen with dogs. This must have been a stirring scene in the lonely situation at Woodcock’s. On the second day they reached Swansey.

On the Narragansett Expedition which was appointed for the next December, the three colonies of Plymouth, Connecticut, and Massachusetts united in furnishing military forces to be under the command of Josias Winslow, of Plymouth, as general.

Here again Woodcock’s was a place of rendezvous for the Massachusetts portion of the army. Her force consisted of six companies under the command of Captains Mosely, Gardiner, Davenport, Oliver, Johnson, and Major Appleton, who commanded this portion of the force, and who, on the ” 9th Dec. 1676 marched with them from Dedham to Woodcock’s, the wellknown place of rendezvous, 30 miles from Boston, and there encamped for the night.” His companies numbered four hundred and sixty-five foot, and one company of horse under command of Captain Prentice, so that the whole number must have been over five hundred. This was a large army for the infant colony of Massachusetts forty-six years only after the settlement at Boston. They marched over the ” Oulde Bay Road.” Here they rested, and then marched on to Seekonk, where they met the army of Plymouth Colony, under General Winslow, and where the two forces were united and moved on their way to the great Narragansett fight. These same forces must have rendezvoused at Woodcock’s on their return.

While armies in their marches halted there and great men of the colonies in their travels stopped there, this house is often mentioned by historians. The celebrated Judge Sewall relates in his ” Diary” that on his return from Rehoboth he dined at Woodcock’s with fellow travelers on boiled venison, which was probably just such a dinner as they chose in those days, and would not be unacceptable at the present time.

Madame Knight in her famous journey from Boston to New York lodged there overnight, and speaks of her fare. This was considered a perilous journey in olden times, and required eight days to accomplish. Madame Knight traveled on horseback with a servant, business of importance requiring her presence in New York. A sketch of this adventurous journey would afford a better knowledge of the condition of the country and its inhabitants than any formal description.’

This ” Oulde Bay Road ” was the first main road laid out in this part of the country, and all travel would necessarily pass by this ” Ordinary ” in those early days, which might be called the dawn of the New England life and civilization. It is a delight to go back in imagination and view the landscape that surrounded the traveler, and the novel scenes of early colonial life. Mile after mile of almost trackless woods filled with bears, deer, and the other denizens of the forest, with here and there a gleaming lake or sparkling river glinting in the sunlight; the plodding wayfarer on foot with his heavy staff; the rider on horseback clad in the quaint costume of the time; and anon, a little opening in the wilderness with a single log house or a small cluster of rude buildings, where rest and refreshment could be obtained for man and beast.

As one traveler dismounts, or another wearily shifts his heavy burden to the bench by the open door, we can see the dwellers of the hamlet slowly gathering one by one to hear the news from the outside world, a faint echo of whose events just reaches these secluded places; or the women collecting about the pedlar to hear the latest fashions of the towns described, and to barter for some of the contents of the pack by his side.

Woodcock had a large family, with a number of laborers and assistants; there must have been fully fourteen in the entire family. He had a smith on his place, barns, a garrison house of large size, sons’ houses, etc., so that his place made quite an opening in the forest and furnished social relief to the lonely and weary journeyers. There was on such a route more travel than one would at first suppose, for emigrants were from time to time going from town to town and settlement to settlement, seeking eligible situations or locations, and messengers on business matters or the municipal and military affairs of the colonies must have frequently passed to and fro.

This stand, so long owned and occupied by Colonel Hatch, and still called by his name, is the oldest in Bristol County — a public house having been kept on the spot, without intermission, from July 5, 1670, to about 1840 — during a period of one hundred and seventy years. It is situated on the Boston and Providence turnpike, now often termed ” the old turnpike road.”

Mar 1681 –

“….  and they granted to John Woodcock a parcel of land as nere the place where the meeting house shall stand as may be conveniently had, that he might sett a small house up fore theire refreshment on the Sabbath day when they come to attend the worship of God.”

Some historian has described these Sabbath day houses as follows: “A Sabbath day house was a hut in one end of which horses might be sheltered, and in the other end was a room having a fireplace, and furnished perhaps with a bench, a few chairs and a table. Here the owner arrived soon after the first drum, and if cold, kindled a fire. Here they deposited their lunch and any wraps that might be superfluous in the meeting house. Hither they came to spend the intermission of worship.

When John Woodcock built the Garrison house at Ten Mile river, he was eleven miles from the Rehoboth church, and only two miles from Wrentham.    In the petition to the General court for authority to incorporate the town of Attleboro in 1694, the committee, of whom John Woodcock was chairman, mention was made of the inconvenience of going so far to Rehoboth to worship God, especially in stormy weather.

17 Feb 1693/94 – John Woodcock (with Joanna l his wife) sold for £390 money in hand received to John Devotion, of ” Muddy River, formerly of Boston.” a tract of land containing two hundred and ten acres, being ” at a place commonly called ten mile river, by a highway called Wrentham lane,” etc., ” with the mansion or dwelling house, barn, and all other out-housing and buildings (the Smith’s shop only excepted standing on the river) ; “Also about thirty acres lying on the northwest side of the country road formerly given to his son, John Woodcock, bounded by Ten Mile River, etc., with his son’s dwelling house and barn on the same. ” John Devotion took quiet possession of the same April 9th 1694, in presence of Nathaniel Brentnall, William Chaplin.” In this conveyance to Devotion is the following curious item:

” Also, all the said John Woodcock, his right to, and privilege in, a house and pasture at Wrentham for accommodation of his family and horses on Sabbath days and other public times, as occasion may be.”

As we have seen, he formerly had a house at Rehoboth for a similar purpose. From this and other records it appears that Woodcock and his family were very attentive to public worship.

Woodcock laid out the ancient burying-ground near his house. In the above-mentioned conveyance is the following reservation : ” Except a small parcel of at least six rods square or the contents thereof, for a burying place, in which my wife and several of my children and neighbors are interred, with liberty for my children and neighbors to come upon and make use therof forever as occasion may be.

Children of John and Sarah

i. Samuel Woodcock b. ca 1645 in Roxbury, MA; d. 28 Apr 1676 in Rehoboth, MA Killed in an Indian attack on his home during King Philip’s War .; m. 3 Jan 1668/89 n Rehoboth, MA. to Mary Newman

ii. Sarah Woodcock b. ca 1646 Rehoboth; d. 29 Nov 1726; m. 11 May 1663 in Concord, MA to Thomas Estabrook, son of Joseph Estabrook & Anna Brainard, Born ca 1643. Thomas died on 28 Jan 1720/1 in Concord, MA.

iii. John Woodcock b. ca 1649 Roxbury, Mass; d. 10 Jul 1718 Dedham, Mass; Brothers John and Israel married their wives on the same day.  On 21 Feb 1672/73 John first married Sarah Smith, daughter of Francis Smith (-12 Aug 1690) & Elizabeth [__?__], in Rehoboth, MA. Born on 5 May 1655 in Boston, MA. Sarah died in Swansea, MA, on 16 May 1676; she was 21.

On 5 Nov 1682 in Dedham, Mass, John second married Sarah Judson,  M Sary, the Daughter of Samuell Judson & Mary his wife, was borne ye 34 of the 5 mo. 1651. Sarah died in Dedham, MA, on 18 Mar 1717/18; she was 66.

iv. Israel Woodcock b. ca 1652; d. 10 Jul 1718; On 5 Nov 1682 Israel married Elizabeth Getchell in Dedham, MA. Israel Woodcock & Elizabeth Gatchel was married the 5:9:82.

v. Mary Woodcock b. 9 Mar 1650/1 Roxbury, Mass; d. aft 1697 Medford, Mass; On 29 Nov 1676 when Mary was 25, she married Samuel Guild, son of John Guild & Elizabeth Crook, in Dedham, MA. Samuell Guild & Mary Woodcock married the 29th 9th 1676. Born on 7 Nov 1647 in Dedham, MA. Samuell, the Son of John & Elizabeth Guild, was borne the 7 of the 9 mo. 1647. Samuel died in Medfield, MA, on 1 Jan 1729/30; he was 82.

vi. Thomas Woodcock b. ca 1657 Roxbury, Mass; d. ca 1707 Bristol, RI;

vii. Nathaniel Woodcock b. ca 1660, Roxbury; d. 28 Apr 1676 Attleboro; Killed by Indians while working in a nearby corn field. The Indians cut off Nathaniel’s head and stuck it on a pole in front of the house. Nathaniel Woodcock was buried where he fell, and his grave is now in the center of what would become the Woodcock Cemetery.

viii. Deborah Woodcock b. ca 1663 Roxbury; d. 23 Mar 1717/8 Dedham; m. 23 May 1683 in Dedham, Mass to Benjamin Onion. Benjamin died ca 1719.

ix. Jonathan Woodcock b. ca 1668 Roxbury, Mass; d. 7 Dec 1736 Attleboro, Mass; m1. On 23 Aug 1694 in Attleboro to Rebecca Martin; m2. 14 Dec 1698 in Attleboro to Mary Williams. His conveyed a part of six hundred acres that was on Bungay River, where Bishop’s shop once stood, with the “saw-mill thereon standing.”









This entry was posted in 12th Generation, Historical Site, Line - Shaw, Public Office, Tavern Keeper, Violent Death and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to William Woodcock Sr.

  1. Pingback: William Woodcock | Miner Descent

  2. Pingback: The Hull Company | Miner Descent

  3. Pingback: Great Swamp Fight – Regiments | Miner Descent

  4. Pingback: Tavern Keepers | Miner Descent

  5. V.E.G. says:

    Thomas Wilmarth is a direct descendant of a man with an hearing impairment, Ted Cochran. Cochran was cremated.

  6. Allan Gilbertson says:

    I am a descendant of John Woodcock so I found this very interesting. However I am unable to find any reliable souce for John being the son of William Woodcock. Where did this come from? I dont see any journal articles or books that say this. (People’s databases or Ancestral File etc don’t count as sources since they tend to be full of errors). Also, Robert Charles Anderson (The Great Migration) doesn’t say that the John who came in 1635 was the same man as “our” John Woodcock. He doesn’t say it is impossible, just that there is no convincing evidence.

    • markeminer says:

      Hi Allan,

      The family tradition is that “three brothers Woodcock came to this country from England about the middle of the 17th century, and settled at Attleboro, but William, John and Thomas later lived in different places, so I agree the relationship may be conjecture,



    • I found the baptism record for John Woodcock. He was baptized on 20 Jul 1627 at Saint Antholin Budge Row, London, London, England and it shows his parents as William and Alis “Alice” Woodcock and I found all the baptism records at the same Saint Antholin Parrish for his siblings. I am also a descendant as my maiden name is Woodcock. You are welcome to reach me on ancestry.com or my own email at sherylchristie@comcast.net

  7. Hello,I read your blogs named “William Woodcock Sr. | Miner Descent” like every week.Your humoristic style is witty, keep it up! And you can look our website about powerful love spells.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s