1632 – John Johnson was among the first settlers who went to Agawam (afterwards Ipswich)
1635 – The first mention of John Johnson at Ipswich when his name appears on the list of “Earliest Settlers.” There he had a “Commonage Right,” which also indicated that he was one of the original proprietors.
Native Americans called the area Agawam, meaning “lowland, marsh or meadow (with water).” Here they hunted and caught fish, especially shellfish, leaving behind mounds of shells. Captain John Smith wrote about the region in 1614, referring to it as “an excellent habitation, being a good and safe harbour.” A plague of about 1617, perhaps smallpox brought from abroad, devastated the once populous Indian tribe. In 1633, John Winthrop, the governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, sent his son, also named John, and 12 men aboard a shallop to settle the area. It was incorporated in 1634 as Ipswich, after Ipswich in the county of Suffolk, England, the source of prominent early settlers. Nathaniel Ward, an assistant pastor in town from 1634 to 1636, wrote the first code of laws for Massachusetts and later published the religious/political work, The Simple Cobbler of Aggawam in America in England.
Pioneers would become farmers, fishermen, shipbuilders or traders. The tidal Ipswich River provided water power for mills, and salt marshes supplied hay for livestock. A cottage industry in lace-making developed. But in 1687, Ipswich residents, led by the Reverend John Wise, protested a tax imposed by the governor, Sir Edmund Andros. As Englishmen, they argued, taxation without representation was unacceptable. Citizens were jailed, but then Andros was recalled to England in 1689, and the new British sovereigns, William and Mary, issued colonists another charter. The rebellion is the reason the town calls itself the “Birthplace of American Independence.”
Newbury Plantation was settled and incorporated in 1635. The Rev. Thomas Parker and cousin Rev. James Noyes along with his brother Nicholas Noyes led a group of approximately 100 pioneers fromWiltshire, England. They sailed from the River Thames aboard the ship Mary and John, first landing in Agawam (now Ipswich) in 1634. They arrived the next spring at the Quascacunquen River, now the Parker River. A commemorative stone marks the spot where Nicholas Noyes was the first of the new settlers to leap ashore at Newbury. The site had once been a village of the Pawtucket Indians, who hunted, fished orfarmed. Many settlers would do the same. In 1791, 3,000 head of cattle grazed town lands, or on the region’s abundant salt marsh hay. Other trades included tanning and shipbuilding. Newbury originally included Newburyport, set off in 1764, and West Newbury, set off in 1819.
Quascancunquen means “waterfall,” referring to the falls in Byfield where Central Street crosses the Parker River. In 1636, the first water powered mill was established at the falls. Gristmills and sawmillswere built, and in 1794, the first textile mill in Massachusetts.
Edward WOODMAN and his half-brother, Archelaus Woodman, arrived in Newbury aboard the “James” in Apr 1635 or he came on the “Abigail” a few weeks later. Both brothers were settled at the Newbury plantation by 1635. Both brothers lived in Newbury on Woodman Lane, now Kent Street. Dates for Edward’s death vary, 3 Jul 1692 or 14 Oct 1702 all agreee in Newbury, Mass. Both Edward and Joanna are likely buried in the cemetery opposite the old Coffin mansion. A monument to Edward Woodman stands in the First Settlers Burying Ground in Newbury, Mass.
1635 – Thomas COLEMAN received two lots in Newbury.
c. 1639 – Capt. John CUTTING removed to Newbury. in 1641 a document shows Capt. John and his son, John, of Newbury, as Master Mariners of the good ship “Desire”, were bound to pay Lawrence Hazzard, shipwright of London, and Robert Crisp and William Wilbert, mariners, noted sums of money upon arrival of the ship “Desire” in London, England. In 1642, Capt. John Cutting was a “freeholder”,i.e., owner of a freehold, a form of tenure by which an estate, land/house etc, is held for life. He was one of the eight commissioners appointed to arrange for the moving of the village from Parker River to the Merrimac River. By 1645 Capt. John had received many other land grants including a 200 acre farm bounded by Falls River on the south.
1642 – Newbury, MA was organized with 90 proprietors, of whom were Percival LOWELL and his son and John
1642 – One of John LOWELL’s largest public responsibilities was as a member of the commission of eight appointed to consider the desirability of moving the village to a new location. Four years later, these plans were carried out and the village was relocated about two miles north of the old site
3 May 1654 – The General Court noted that Richard THORLEY, having built a bridge over Newbury (Parker) River at his own expense was at liberty to collect toll for cattle, but passengers to go free. This was the first bridge erected over navigable waters within the limits of Old Newbury, and over navigable waters within the limits of Newbury, and comes third in the list of bridges that have been in continuous use in New England for two centuries and a half. It had been rebuilt and repaired several times but the location remained the same and it stands on the same site it occupied 350 yrs ago.
The Elizabeth Bonaventure, John Graves, Master, left Yarmouth, Norfolk, the first week in May and arrived at Boston on June 15, 1633 with ninety five passengers. The ship sailed into the small harbor called Bare Cove, so called because only the bare flats could be seen at low tide. They stopped in Charlestown for a time, and then received permission to scout out a place for their new town Hingham. Included on board were 14 men and women from from Hingham, Norfolk, England who together founded Hingham, Mass.
Edmund HOBART of Hingham, Norfolk to Charlestown with Mrs. Margaret Hobart, Nazareth, Edmond, Thomas, Joshua, Rebecca, Elizabeth, and Sarah
Henry Gibbs of Hingham, Norfolk to Charlestown
Ralph SMYTH of Hingham, Norfolk to Charlestown
Nicholas Jacob of Hingham, Norfolk to Watertown with Mrs. Mary, Jacob, John, Jacob, Mary and Jacob
Thomas Chubbock of Hardingham, Norfolk to Charlestown with Mrs. Alice Chubbock, Sarah and Rebecca
Mrs. Elishua Crowe to Charlestown
Simon Huntington of Norwich, Norfolk to Roxbury with Mrs. Margaret Huntington, Christopher, Anne, Simon, and Thomas.
- Location of Hingham, Mass.
The town of Hingham was dubbed “Bare Cove” by the first colonizing English in 1633, but two years later was incorporated as a town under the name “Hingham” The town was named for Hingham, a village in the English county of Norfolk, East Anglia, whence most of the first colonists came. Hingham was born of religious dissent. Many of the original founders were forced to flee their native village in Norfolk with both their vicars, Rev. Peter Hobart, son of Edmund HOBART and Rev. Robert PECK, when they fell foul of the strict doctrines of Anglican England. While most of the early Hingham settlers came from Hingham and other nearby villages in East Anglia, a few Hingham settlers like Thomas Miner came from the West Country of England. As of the census of 2000, there were 19,882 people in Hingham.
In 1635, 60 or more people, led by the Reverends Maverick and Warham arrived, having trekked overland from Dorchester, Massachusetts. They had arrived in the New World five years earlier on the ship “Mary and John” from Plymouth, England and settled in Dorchester.Reverend Warham promptly renamed the settlement Dorchester. During the next few years, more settlers arrived from Dorchester, outnumbering and soon displacing the original Plymouth contingent, who mostly returned to Plymouth.
In 1637, the colony’s General Court changed the name of the settlement from Dorchester to Windsor, named after the town of Windsor England on the River Thames.
Simon HOYT was an early settler in seven different colonies in New England , in most of them one of the first. He was hardly located in one, before he gave up his farm and home and began to clear another part of the wilderness for a new home. There were few pioneers who moved more often than he.
He removed to Dorchester in 1632 or earlier. He was appointed “to see to the fences for the east field” at Dorchester , 8 Oct 1633, and in January following had a grant of marsh land. Early in 1635 he left Dorchester and located at Scituate, where he and his wife joined the church, 19 Apr 1635. Here he built his house between September, 1634, and October, 1636.
He next moved to Windsor, Connecticut , about 1639 , where he had a grant of land, 28 Feb 1640. His house was on the east side of the river near what is still known as Hoyt’s Meadow. He sold his land at Windsor in 1648 and moved to Fairfield, Connecticut , before 1649.
In 1635 there were rumors in the Massachusetts Bay Colony that a war with the local Indians was impending and a fear arose that the few, small, coastal communities that existed were in danger of attack. This, in addition to the belief that the few towns that did exist were too close together, prompted the Massachusetts General Court to establish two new inland communities. The towns of Dedham and Concord, Massachusetts were thus established to relieve the growing population pressure and to place communities between the larger, more established coastal towns and the Indians further west.
The grant from the colony gave them over “two hundred square miles of virgin wilderness, complete with lakes, hills, forests, meadows, Indians, and a seemingly endless supply of rocks and wolves. Aside from “several score Indians, who were quickly persuaded to relinquish their claims for a small sum, the area was free of human habitation. The original grant stretched from the border of Boston to the Rhode Island border.
13 Mar 1639 – John HUNTING was admitted a freeman in Dedham. He was one of the founders of the church at Dedham and was its first ruling elder. He had been a wandering evangelist in England. After some political-religious skirmishes in the formation of the first church in Dedham and the selection of the first pastor (John Allin), Hunting became the first Ruling Elder of the Dedham church.
Capt. Thomas BAYES arrived in the summer of 1636 when Dedham was settled by “about thirty families excised from the broad ranks of the English middle classes” traveling up the Charles River from Roxbury and Watertown traveling in rough canoes carved from felled trees. These original settlers paddled up the narrow, deeply flowing stream impatiently turning curve after curve around Nonantum until, emerging from the tall forest into the open, they saw in the sunset glow a golden river twisting back and forth through broad, rich meadows
Jonathan FAIRBANKS signed the Covenant when the town was founded and named.
The house was built in several stages; the center portion of the present house is oldest, with a gable-roofed portion at the center. It was once a lobby-entry, hall-parlor house of two stories with a center chimney bay. The lean-to was added later, contrary to the note on the first floor plan (see image). The oak lintel over its parlor fireplace has been dated by dendrochronology to 1637. Since timber was not seasoned before use in the 17th century, this provides a plausible date for the house’s initial construction. Other houses claiming to be older have yet to be scientifically dated
The first public meeting of the plantation they called Contentment was held on August 18, 1636 and the town covenant was signed; eventually 125 men (including Thomas and Jonathan) would ascribe their names to the document. As the Covenant stipulated that “for the better manifestation of our true resolution herein, every man so received into the town is to subscribe hereunto his name, thereby obliging both himself and his successors after him forever.” They swore that they would
“in the fear and reverence of our Almighty God, mutually and severally promise amongst ourselves and each to profess and practice one truth according to that most perfect rule, the foundation whereof is ever lasting love.”
They also agreed that “we shall by all means labor to keep off from us all such as are contrary minded, and receive only such unto us as may be probably of one heart with us, [and such] as that we either know or may well and truly be informed to walk in a peacable conversation with all meekness of spirit, [this] for the edification of each other in the knowledge and faith of the Lord Jesus…” Before a man could join the community he underwent a public inquisition to determine his suitability. Every signer of the Covenant was required to tell all he knew of the other men and if a lie was uncovered the man who spoke it would be instantly excluded from town.
The covenant also stipulated that if differences were to arise between townsmen that they would submit the issue to between one and four other members of the town for resolution,
“eschew[ing] all appeals to law and submit[ting] all disputes between them to arbitration. The commitment in the Covenant to allow only like-minded individuals to live within the town explains why “church records show no instances of dissension, Quaker or Baptist expulsions, or witchcraft persecutions.”
Ten influential citizens from Saugus petitioned the General Court of Plymouth Colony to found a new settlement on Cape Cod. The Wings were among the “three score” [about 60] families who moved to the new settlement shortly after it was granted. Even at this early date, Massachusetts Bay Colony was fast outstripping the older Plymouth Colony, both in population and political clout. The Bay colony could well afford to lose some colonist to its neighbor, and the relationship between the two colonies were always amicable. It is unknown how it was decided to name the new settlement Sandwich, Mass. It was clearly named after the city of Sandwich in Kent County, England as it bears some physical resemblance to the old Cinque Port city. The Wings were the only family in the new town who are known to have lived in its namesake town in England.
In 1637, Edward DILLINGHAM was living at Saugus (Lynn), and with nine other men was by the Plymouth court, granted liberty to view a place in the old colony to sit down on, and have sufficient land for three score families, on the conditions propounded to them by the Government and Mr Winslow. These nine men were Edmond Freeman, Henry Feake, Thomas Dexter, William Wood, John Carman, Richard Chadwell, William Amey, Thomas Tupper, and George Knott. Most of these men settled at Sandwich, and in a list of Freemen of Sandwich, in 1643, are the names of Dillingham, Feake, Freeman, Knott, Chadwell and Tupper.
Mr Dillingham brought over from Bitteswell a herd of cattle which he took from his neighbors on shares; that is, he was to return the cattle with part of their increase in subsequent years. The fulfillment of this agreement is provided for in his will.
He was elected Deputy of Sandwich in 1643. Mr D. was one of the founders of Sandwich and a much respected citizen.
Sanwich is the oldest town on Cape Cod. It was the site of an early Quaker settlement. However, the settlement was not well-received, as their beliefs clashed with those of the Puritans who founded the town. Many Quakers left the town, either for further settlements along the Cape, or elsewhere, including places like Dartmouth. It’s population was 20,136 at the 2000 census.
Robert CARVER was the nephew of the first Governor of Plymouth Colony, John Carver, came to the Plymouth colony later, and settled at Marshfield before 1638 having been granted 20 acres of land at Greene’s Harbor.
11 Oct 1639 – Rev John Lothrop and a large company arrived in Barnstable, bringing with them the crops which they had raised in Scituate. There, within three years they had built homes for all the families. Rev Lothrop had petitioned Gov. Thomas Prence (Our Ancestor) in Plymouth for a “place for the transplanting of us, to the end that God might have more glory and wee more comfort.”
Sturgis Library constructed in 1644 for the Reverend John Lothrop, founder of Barnstable
1644 – Lothrop completed construction on a larger sturdier meeting house by Coggin’s (or Cooper’s) Pond. This building, now part of the Sturgis Library in Barnstable, Massachusetts is one of John Lothrop’s original homes and meeting houses, and is now also the oldest building housing a public library in America. Since Reverend Lothrop used the front room of the house for public worship, the library is also the oldest structure still standing in America where religious services were regularly held. This room, now called “The Lothrop Room,” with its beamed ceiling and pumpkin-colored wide-board floors, retains the quintessential early character of authentic Cape Cod houses.
Barnstable is named after Barnstaple, Devon, England. The area was first explored by Bartholomew Gosnold in 1602. It was one of the first towns to be settled, in 1638, and was incorporated in 1639, as were the other Cape towns of Sandwich and Yarmouth. The early settlers were farmers, but soon fishing and salt works became major industries in town. The population in the 2000 census was 47,821.
Barnstable is the largest community, both in land area and population, on Cape. The Town of Barnstable contains seven villages:
- The village of Barnstable
- Hyannis, including Hyannis Port
- Marstons Mills
- West Barnstable
1638- Steven Bachiler (Wikipedia) and others successfully petitioned to begin a new plantation at Winnacunnet, to which he gave the name Hampton when the town was incorporated in 1639. Bachiler had formerly preached at the settlement’s namesake: Hampton, England. His ministry in the new town became embroiled in controversy when Rev. Timothy DALTON was sent to the town as “teaching assistant” by the Boston church after New Hampshire was absorbed by Massachusetts in 1641. Shortly thereafter, Bachiler was excommunicated by the Hampton church on unfounded charges of “scandal”, but protested to Governor Winthrop and was later reinstated.
The settlement of Hampton, NH , (formerly known as Winnacunnet) was led by our ancestor Reverend Stephen BACHILER, who had formerly preached at the settlement’s namesake: Hampton, England. It was authorized by General Court in 1638, and incorporated in 1639,
Roger SHAW’s name appearing as one of the petitioners. In 1640 he bought of “John Crosse” land in the new town, and 15 Nov 1647 he obtained a grant of lands from Charles II which, included with his former purchase, constituted a large estate. In 1648, he moved to Hampton, selling his real estate in Cambridge, Mass., consisting of a house and two hundred acres of land, and settled on his first purchase, some part of which were still owned by his descendants in the 1880’s. The original house was enlarged and improved by his son Benjamin and grandson Edward, and was used in colonial times as a garrison [see frontispiece] . It was taken down, however, sometime in the 1850’s to make room for a “modern one.”
John BROWN became a freeman two years after arriving in 1635, then moved to Hampton, New Hampshire. He received a grant of 4 acres for a house lot on Brown’s River. He eventually became the third wealthiest man and the largest landowner in Hampton, owning four farms. John served as Selectman in 1651 and 1656
Incorporated in 1639, the township once included Seabrook, Kensington, Danville, Kingston, East Kingston, Sandown, North Hampton and Hampton Falls.The population of Hampton was 14,937 at the 2000 census. Hampton is home to Hampton Beach State Park at Hampton Beach, a summer tourist destination.
Stoneham was first settled in 1645 and was originally a part of Charlestownthe original settlers of the area were Whigs. In 1678, there were six settlers with their families, all in the northeast part of the town, probably because of its proximity to the settlement in Reading (now Wakefield)
By 1725, the population of the area, called Charlestown End, had increased until there were sixty-five male inhabitants paying taxes;however, they were miles away from the settlement in Charlestown and could not conveniently reach its church or school. For this reason, Captain Benjamin Geary and fifty-three other residents of the area petitioned Charlestown to allow them to be separated. The town refused their petition at first, but on December 17, 1725, the General Court passed an act to establish the new township of Stoneham, separating it from Charlestown, and releasing its residents from the obligation to pay taxes to Charlestown, provided that within two years they would erect a suitable church and hire a minister and a schoolmaster
John GOULD was an official inhabitant of Charlestown, Mass. by 1635. Once here, he also changed his profession from Husbandman to Carpenter. He was still taxed in Charlestown in 1658. He lived in the section of Charlestown that became Stoneham. He had a double lot there in 1636. . He fought in King Phillip’s War and was in the militia until he was 72.
. By 1636, John Gould owned 6 lots in Charlestown: his own house-lot was north of Mill Hill and he had title to 1 cow common. In addition, he owned 4 acres in Linefield; 1.5 acres in the Mystic marshes; 10 acres in the Mystic woods and 25 acres in the Waterfield That same year, he also acquired 1/2 of hay-lot number 3. His house was at the west end of what is now Gould Street, Wakefield, Mass.
Many of the Massachusetts Bay Colony’s original settlers arrived from England in the 1630s through the ports ofLynn and Salem. In 1639 some citizens of Lynn petitioned the government of the colony for a place for an inland plantation. They were initially granted six square miles, followed by an additional four. The first settlement in this grant was at first called Lynn Village and was located on the south shore of the Great Pond, now known as Lake Quannapowitt. On June 10, 1644 the settlement was incorporated as the town of Reading, taking its name from the town of Reading in England.
John POOLE “was one of the earliest settlers of Reading, and probably the wealthiest. He lived on the present  site of Wakefield’s rattan factory where he built the first grist-mill and fulling mill of the town. He also owned much land at the north end of the Great Pond including the farm lately owned by Dea. Caleb Wakefield, and extending easterly, included the late Newcomb mill, where said Poole erected the first saw-mill, and included also the present farm of heirs of Benjamin Cox, of Lynnfield. He divided his estate between his son Jonathan and his grandson John.”
John Poole (Pool) settled in Cambridge, Mass about 1632; he later resided in Lynn, Mass. where he was a proprietor before 1638. He moved to Reading,. Mass by 1644 where, in that year, he made a contract with the town to build a dam, turn the course of a stream, erect and maintain a water mill for the use of the inhabitants.
He was a proprietor of Reading and a town officer, involved in a lawsuit about his mill in 1652. His wife Margaret sold the land and house in 1653
Rowley was originally settled as a plantation by Reverend Ezekiel Rogers, who had arrived from England on the ship John of London with approximately twenty families.
The following spring, on September 4, 1639, the town was incorporated, and included portions of modern dayByfield, Georgetown, and Haverhill. The town was named after Rowley, East Riding of Yorkshire, where Rogers had served as pastor for twenty years before his suspension due to non-conformist puritanical beliefs. Rogers was installed as Rowley’s pastor on December 3.
In the summer of 1638, towards the end of this great migration from the England of Charles I, Rev. Ezekiel Rogers and his followers set sail on the ship “John” from Hull England. On board were about twenty families, nearly all from Yorkshire, under the leadership of Rev. Rogers of Rowley, England, near Hull. Among the families were Frances Lambert, from Holme-on-Spaulding-Moor; Richard THURLOW from Holme-Upon-Spaulding-Moor,Edward Carleton, from Barnston; Hugh CHAPLIN, Maximillian and Joseph Jewett, from Bradford; Robert and John Hazeltine, from Biddeford in Devon; William Jackson, from Rowley, and William and John BOYNTON, Thomas Nelson, John Spofford and Thomas Tenney.
The ship landed in Salem Harbor where they stayed the winter and spent the time looking for a more permanent location to settle. Rev. Rogers appeared before Mr. Wilson’s church of Boston in the year 1638 and requested for himself, and his people, to join with Mr. Wilson’s church. His request was granted. Rev. Rogers was urged to join a company, being formed to colonize Quinnipiack, now New Haven, Conn., but chose not to go. Before the winter was over Ezekiel Rogers request of the General Court, a tract of land between Ipswich and Newbury. His request was granted and the settlement began in the spring of 1639.
Thomas and Jane GRANT came from England in 1638. No record of their death is known, but as Widow Jane Grant she had a house lot on Bradford Street, Rowley, in 1643, and was taxed for two cows in 1653.
1643 – John PEARSON brought with him from England machinery for a fulling mill, which was the first in this country. Fulling is a step in woollen clothmaking which involves the cleansing of cloth to eliminate oils, dirt, and other impurities, and making it thicker. Supposing America had no wood that would stand water, he brought cedar posts also. Some of those posts were taken up about 1800, and found in a good state of preservation.
1644 – On the “tenth of the eleventh Anno Dni 1643, Thomas Nelson, Edward Carlton, Humphrey Reynon & Francis Parrot made a survey of the town and a register of the several house lots of from 1 1/2 to 6 acres then laid out to the settlers including John Pearson.
In a survey, made before 1647,
Certaine Divisions of Meadow laid out in the Meadow Called Crane Meadow:
To Edward HASSENthree Acres of meadow lying on the South east side of John Smithes meadow the northeast end abutting upon a pond the south west end upon the upland.
To Leonard HARRIMAN seaven Acres of meadow lying on the Southeast side of Edward Hassens meadow pt of it bought of William Hobson and pt of John Harris the east end abutting upon a brooke the west end upon the upland —
Uplands laid out at the plaine Called the Great plaine Imp
To Edward Hassen foure Acres & an halfe of upland at the plaine Called the great plaine lying next the south ffence by the Country way the east end abutting toward the fence the west end towards other.
1643 – Incorporated making it one of the earliest Massachusetts towns to be incorporated
24 Aug 1643 – Walter PALMER, and his good friend William Chesebrough, whose fortunes closely coincided during their lives left Charlestown along with other planters and started a new settlement at a place known as “Seacuncke” (Black Goose). His home was located along the 10 Mile River in an area called Sowams. The area was to become independent of other organizations until they could decide on a government. At a meeting in 1643, before a division of land had been made other than for house-lots, those attending were required individually to give the value of their estates, in order that the allotments of land might be made accordingly. Will. Cheesebrough was listed 450 pounds and Walter Palmer at 419 pounds. By constant acquisitions he was able to increase his land holdings from 2 acres to more than 150
9 Dec 1644 – Walter was one of the nine members of the First Board of Selectmen .
2 and 9 Jun 1645 – Walter Palmer and William Cheseborough were on lists concerning lots to be drawn for divisions of land. Walter’s name seemed to appear in every group selected for any purpose, which seems to indicate his high standing in the community.
4 Jun 1645 – Seacuncke was renamed Antient Rehoboth (a town by the river) and assigned itself to The Plymouth Colony. Richard Wright was the first Deputy to be elected to represent Rehoboth to the Court at Plymouth, however he had been a strong advocate of the Massachusetts Bay Colony rather than the Plymouth Colony, and refused to acknowledge that the final decision was in favor of the Plymouth Colony.
28 Oct 1645 – Admitted a Freeman, Walter Palmer was immediately sworn in as a Deputy in Wright’s place. Palmer was later Rehoboth surveyor of highways and constable.
When it first became part of Plymouth colony, it included all of Seekonk,Massachusetts and East Providence, Rhode Island, and parts of the nearby communities of Attleboro, North Attleborough, Swansea and Somerset in Massachusetts, and Barrington, Bristol, Warren, Pawtucket, Cumberland, and Woonsocket,Rhode Island. The populations of Rehoboth in the 2000 census was 10,172.
14 Aug 1642 – When the church was constituted in Woburn, Samuel Richardson,, his two brothers, with John Mousall, Edward Johnson, Edward Convers, and William Leonard, solemnly stood forth, as the nucleus around which the church was to be gathered.
That whole territory was then a wide, uncultivated waste. In the February following, the commissioners built a bridge over the Aberjona River, as the Mystic River is called, north of Mystic Pond. This bridge was known in after times as Convers’ Bridge, from Edward Convers, the proprietor of the adjacent mill.
The earliest record of Edward WINN in America is whe he appears at the house of Mr. Thomas Graves in Charlestown, as one of the Commissioners, at their first meeting, 18 Dec 1640, held for consulting on the affairs of the contemplated town of Woburn.
The conditions for inhabiting the new town of Woburn were stated in five separate orders.The first order fixed the price of land at six pence an acre. The second order required return of lots if they were not improved in 15 months. The remaining orders concerned fencing, inmates (archaic usage: boarders, etc.), and timber.Among the 32 signatories was Edward Winne.
Edward Winn was one of the original planters of Woburn. On 8 Feb 1640/41, the commissioners came from Charlestown to find a location. After two days’ search, they pitched upon a spot, unquestionably on Aberjona River, over which, 10 Feb 1640/41, they built a bridge near the house of Edward Convers. To this spot they came, in March and May following, and laid out house lots, and buildings were doubtless erected during the year.
Edward’s son Increase was the first born child entered in the records of Woburn: born (5th) of 10th mo: 1641.
Woburn was first settled in 1640 near Horn Pond, a primary source of the Mystic River, and was officially incorporated in 1642. At that time the area included present day towns of Woburn, Winchester, Burlington, and parts of Stoneham and Wilmington. Woburn got its name from Woburn, Bedfordshire. Woburn played host to the first religious ordination in the Americas 22 Nov 1642 .Rev. Thomas Carter was sworn in by many of the most prominent men of New England. The establishment of the church preceded the incorporation of the town, as was customary in those days. The population of Woburn was 37,258 at the 2000 census.
1645 – Thomas joined John Winthrop Jr.’s colony of Massachusetts Puritans in the settlement of New London, CT. During the years that Thomas lived in New London, his son Mannassah and his daughters Ann and Mary were born. Manassah was the first white child born in New London.
1649 -The founders of Stonington were Thomas MINER ,Walter PALMER, William Chesebrough and Thomas Stanton. After several years in Hingham, the Miner family moved south to the Wequetequock area of present-day Stonington, where Miner and his son Ephraim helped found the Road Church. The first European colonists established a trading house in the Pawcatuck section of town in 1649. The present territory of Stonington was part of lands that had belonged to the Pequots who referred to the areas making up Stonington as “Pawcatuck” (Stony Brook to Pawcatuck River) and “Mistack” (Mystic River to Stony Brook). As of the 2000 census, there were 17,906 people residing in the town.
1653 – Miner bought land west of Stonington, across Quiambaug Cove near present-dayMystic, and built a house for his family.
1658- It was named “Souther Towne” or Southerton, by Massachusetts.
1662 – Officially became part of Connecticut when Connecticut received its royal charter.
1665 – Southerton was renamed as Mistick
1666 – Again renamed as Stonington.
1790’s – Stonington first gained wealth when its harbor was home to a fleet engaged in the profitable sealing trade in which the skins of seals clubbed on islands off the Chilean and Patagonian coasts were sold as fur in China.
30 Aug 1775 Stonington repulsed British naval bombardment during the American Revolution, t by Sir James Wallace in the frigate Rose.
9 Aug 1814 – During the War of 1812, four British vessels HMS Ramillies, HMS Pactolus, HMS Dispatch, and HMS Terror, under the command of Sir Thomas Hardy, appeared offshore. The British demanded immediate surrender, but Stonington’s citizens replied with a note that stated, “We shall defend the place to the last extremity; should it be destroyed, we shall perish in its ruins.” For three days the Royal Navy pounded the town, but the only fatality was that of an elderly woman who was mortally ill. The British, after suffering many dead and wounded, sailed off on 12 August. The American poet Philip Freneau wrote (in part):
- “The bombardiers with bomb and ball
- Soon made a farmer’s barrack fall,
- Soon made a farmer’s barrack fall,
- And did a cow-house badly maul
- That stood a mile from Stonington.
- They kill’d a goose, they kill’d a hen
- Three hogs they wounded in a pen—
- Three hogs they wounded in a pen—
- They dashed away and pray what then?
- This was not taking Stonington.
- But some assert, on certain grounds,
- (Beside the damage and the wounds),
- (Beside the damage and the wounds),
- It cost the king ten thousand pounds
- To have a dash at Stonington
Evert PELS was an enterprising man. After his 6 year contract as a brewer was finished; on 28 Feb 1648, he leased a farm on Papscanee Island for six years, at f560 a year, but after building a new house and barns, he transferred the lease 14 Jan 1649, to Juriaen Bestvall and Jochem Kettelheym. Both Bestvall and Kettelheym had come to the New Netherlands on the same ship as Evert. These two men had come to the colony by contracting with the patroon to work for 6 years as laborers. Their time was now served and they were able to lease a farm and work for themselves. Evert Pels turned the farm over to them on 25 Mar 1649.
18 Nov 1649, he leased jointly with Willem Fredericksz (Bout), a farm in Greenbush, for which he is charged in the accounts with an annual rent of f400, from 1 May 1649 until 1661 when he moved to the Esopus; the same day they also leased the saw and grist mill in Greenbush, for which he is charged with an annual rent of f125, from 1 May 1649, till 1 May 1658.
Both Papacanee Island and Greenbush are a couple miles south of present day Albany. Today, a part of the island has been set aside as the Papscanee Island Nature Preserve, drawing birdwatchers, hikers, kayakers, and picnickers. Scenic trails cover seven miles and include interpretive signs to educate visitors about the island’s plants, trees, and shrubs.
With rich soil and abundant water, Papscanee Island has long been home to farmers, beginning with the Mohican (Mahikan) Indians and then Dutch settlers. Actually a peninsula that stretches out into the eastern side of the Hudson River, Papscanee Island, named for a high-ranking Mohican chief, can be seen from the steps of the capitol in Albany, six miles away.
Today, a part of the island has been set aside as the Papscanee Island Nature Preserve, drawing birdwatchers, hikers, kayakers, and picnickers. Scenic trails cover seven miles and include interpretive signs to educate visitors about the island’s plants, trees, and shrubs.
Greenbush was part of the Manor of Rensselaerswyck, and Albany County prior to Rensselaer County’s creation in 1791. Early settlement along the Hudson River shoreline occurred around 1628/9 and in 1669 a fort was built on Papscanee Island.
He also owned a sloop on the river and a lot on Broadway in Manhattan, which he sold in 1656. In 1657 he sent down to New Amsterdam 2100 beaver skins. He advised the Director of the colony on Horses and other farm animals.
Phippsburg was the site of the Popham Colony, Phippsburg was — between 1607 and 1608 — the first English settlement attempted in New England. During its brief existence, colonists built Virginia of Sagadahoc, the first ship in Maine’s long history of shipbuilding.
The next British settlement at the mouth of the Kennebec River began in 1653; Thomas Atkins, a fisherman, purchased from the sachem Mowhotiwormet, commonly called Chief Robinhood, the southern end of Phippsburg (with the exception of Popham). Atkins Bay bears his name. The population gradually increased until King Philip’s War, when Indians in August 1676 attacked the eastern side of the Kennebec River,massacring and scalping the colonists, or else carrying them into captivity. Dwellings were burned and stocks of cattle killed. The entire area was abandoned.
Resettlement commenced in 1679 at Newtown, located on the southern end of Arrowsic Island (across the river from present-day Phippsburg Center), but in 1689 the area was again destroyed and deserted during King William’s War. With the Treaty of Portsmouth in 1713, conflict was formally ended between the Abenaki Indians and English settlements.
The Popham Colony (also known as the Sagadahoc Colony) was a short-lived English colonial settlement inNorth America that was founded in 1607 and located in the present-day town of Phippsburg, Maine near the mouth of the Kennebec River by the proprietary Virginia Company of Plymouth. It was founded a few months later in the same year as its more successful rival, the Jamestown Settlement, which was established on June 14, 1607 by theVirginia Company of London in present-day James City County, Virginia, as the first permanent English settlement in the present United States.
Five years after the settlement attempt at Cuttyhunk in what is now Massachusetts, the Popham Colony was the second English colony in the region that would eventually become known as New England. The colony was abandoned after only one year, apparently more due to family changes in the leadership ranks than lack of success in the New World. The loss of life of the colonists in 1607 and 1608 at Popham was far lower than the experience at Jamestown.
The first ship built by the English in the New World was completed during the year of the Popham Colony and was sailed back across the Atlantic Ocean to England. The pinnace, named Virginia of Sagadahoc, was apparently quite seaworthy, and crossed the Atlantic again successfully in 1609 as part of Sir Christopher Newport’s 9 vessel Third Supply mission to Jamestown. The tiny Virginia survived a massive three day storm en route which was thought to have been a hurricane and which wrecked the mission’s large new flagship Sea Venture on Bermuda.
The exact site of the Popham Colony was lost until its rediscovery in 1994. Much of this historical location is now part of Maine’s Popham Beach State Park
- The town of Wells, Maine, a seacoast town in the southern most county of York, was named for the cathedral city of Wells, in Somerset, England. From Drakes Island to Moody the marine shoreline sweeps in a crescent, bordering the Atlantic Ocean with sandy beaches and rocky promontories. Behind the dunes a tidal river flows through the green and gold marshes and is met by many smaller streams, which originate inland among the forests and distant hills. Everywhere is found evidence of the last glacial age; in the stone walls of the pastures, the great boulders in the fields and forests, the bare scoured ledges and in the rocks along the shore.
The Abenaki Indians called the area Webhannet, meaning “at the clear stream,” a reference to the Webhannet River. In 1622, the Plymouth Company in England awarded to Sir Ferdinando Gorges, Lord Proprietor of Maine, territory which included the Plantation of Wells. His young cousin, Thomas Gorges, acting as deputy and agent, in 1641 granted to Rev.John Wheelwright and other settlers from Exeter, New Hampshire the right to populate the land from northeast of the Ogunquit River to southwest of the Kennebunk River.
Long before Wells incorporation in 1653, as the third town in Maine, temporary residences were built on the beaches by traders and fishermen. Edmund LITTLEFIELD, the father of Wells, established a permanent home, sawmill and gristmill as early as 1640-41 at the falls of the Webhannet River. Reverend John Wheelwright soon followed and by 1642 was attempting to provide religious freedom here for himself and his followers
Following the death of the elder Gorges in 1647, the Massachusetts Bay Colony laid claim to Maine. In 1653, Wells was incorporated, the third town in Maine to do so, and named after Wells, England, a small cathedral city in the county of Somerset. It then included Kennebunk, set off the year Maine became a state in 1820, and Ogunquit, designated a village within Wells by the legislature in 1913, then set off in 1980. 
Wells was the resilient northeastern frontier of English settlement. Except for a few forts and garrisons, early attempts to colonize Maine above Wells were abandoned because of attacks by Native Americans allied with New France, which resented encroachment by New England in territory it considered its own, Acadia. Wells endured three major attacks, most famously the Raid on Wells in 1692. The region became less dangerous, however, after the Battle of Louisburg in 1745.
Settled in 1654, Amesbury was first recognized as “Salisbury New Town” in 1666 when it formally separated from Salisbury. It was incorporated as “Amesbury” in 1668, after Amesbury in Wiltshire, England. As of the census of 2000, there were 16,450 people, residing in the city.
Originally the boundary between Amesbury and Salisbury was the Powwow River. In 1876 Merrimac was created out of West Amesbury. In 1886 West Salisbury was annexed to Amesbury so the mill area on the Powwow River was unified.
Beginning as a modest farming community, it would develop an aggressive maritime and industrial economy. The 90 foot drop in the falls of the Powwow River provided water power for sawmills and gristmills.
- Amesbury Monument – The Golgotha Burying Ground is also found on Rt. 110 (Macy St.), in Amesbury Massachusetts about a half a mile east. It is the first burial ground in Amesbury but there are no markers.
Over half the first settlers names on this memorial are our ancestors. They are: Richard Currier, Orlando BAGLEY Sr., John Bailey, William BARNES, Thomas Barnard, Henry Blaisdell, Philip Challis, Anthony COLBY, John COLBY, Edward Cottle, Jarret Haddon, John HOYT, William Huntington, Thomas Macy, George MARTIN, Valentine Rowell, William SARGENT and John Weed.
18 DEC 1658 – Peter Tallman bought 9 acres in Portsmouth. He was one of the early purchasers of land on Martha’s Vineyard, and was very active in the settlement of that island.
Jun 1659 – The nine square miles of land for the town of Norwich was purchased from the Indian Sachems of Mohegan for £70 in Jun 1659. Thomas FITCH’s son and Capt John FITCH’s brother James was the founding settler of Norwich Connecticut. Rev. James Fitch was minister of the Saybrook Congregational Church and the first ordained minister of the First Congregational Church of Norwich. He was instrumental in getting Uncas and the Mohegans and the Pequot Indians to side with the English against King Philip’s Narragansett tribes. Their fair dealings with the Indians spared these settlers who were on the very frontier at that time.
Jun 1659 – Rev. Nehemiah SMITH was one of the original proprietors of Norwich, Connecticut, which was bought in June, 1659, of the Indian Chief Uncas and his sons. His home lot was laid out in November, 1659. He had the largest tract of any of the first settlers, and received other grants at later times. His house was about fifty-seven feet north of the oldest burying ground, known as the Post and Gager burying ground.
John MASON was one of the most trusted men in Connecticut during his three and a half decades of residence there, in both civil and military matters. In his latter years the formal colony records referred to him simply as “the Major,” without forename or surname. Only a sampling of his activities can be presented here.
John removed his family to Old Saybrook, Middlesex County, Connecticut in 1647. He was awarded land by the state of Connecticut where Lebanon, New London County, Connecticut was founded and in 1660 united with a number of distinguished families in the settlement of Norwich, New London County, Connecticut where he was Deputy/Lieutenant Governor (1660-1669), and Major General of the forces of Connecticut.
Norwich was settled in the spring of 1660. In 1660 the Rev. James Fitch, pastor of the Saybrook, and most of his congregation moved to Norwich. James continued as pastor at Norwich until – old and infirm – he resigned in 1696. Rev. James Fitch’s reputation rests on his missionary work among the Connecticut Indians, particularly the Mohegans. He mastered their language and was particularly useful to the colonists during King Philip’s War.
Norwich Falls, oil on canvas, John Trumbull, 1806
In the 19th century, Norwich came to be known as a manufacturing city because of its many large mills. The population in the 2000 census was 36,117.
1659 – Thomas COLEMAN was one of the partners and purchasers of 1/20th part of the Island of Nantucket being of those chosen by one of the first 10 purchasers as his partner. He had a house, lot and other lands set off to him at different times by the committee for laying out lands.
The Island of Nantucket, situated about 30 miles south of the mainland, was discovered in 1602 by Bartolomew Gosnold, an Englishman, and in 1641 was deeded to Thomas Mayhew and his son, by James Forrett, Agent of the Earl of Stirling. The right of the Mayhews was bought by a company of ten persons, who, finding it necessary to encourage immigration agreed at a meeting held at Salisbury, Mass in 1659, for each owner to take a partner or assistant which should be left the choice of each individual to elect one.
Thomas Mayhew sold his interests to the “nine original purchasers”: Tristram Coffin, Thomas Macy, Christopher Hussey, Richard Swayne, Thomas Bernard, Peter Coffin, Stephen Greenleafe, John Swayne, and William Pike for, “thirty pounds…and two Beaver hats one for myself and one for my wife.”
10 May 1660. Thomas was chosen by John Swain as his partner
Haddam and East Haddam were once one colony. It was about 1662 when this tract of land, lying fifteen miles from the mouth of the Connecticut and 30 miles south of Hartford, was purchased from the Indians by a party of young men for a value not exceeding $100.00 The name of Haddam, which was given to the town about 1668 was presumably taken from the name Great Haddam in England. There were no settlements on the east side of the river until around 1670. There was but one ecclesiastical society before 1700, when the inhabitants formed the second. But it was not until 1754 that the community was formally and agreeably divided into two towns, the colony on the west bank keeping the name of Haddam and the one on the east taking the name of East Haddam.
The original settlers of East Haddam laid out the town into nine sections, each three-fourths of a mile square, and the roads were laid out that distance apart as boundaries. Among some of the old turnpikes or post-roads were the “East Haddam and Colchester Turnpike”, granted in 1809: a post road from Middletown, through Chatham to East Haddam Landing, and thence to New London and one from Norwich to New Haven, granted in 1817.
1661 – Thomas Coleman was an original signer at Hadley MA
Hadley was first settled in 1659 and was officially incorporated in 1661. Its settlers were primarily a discontented group of families from the puritan colonies of Hartford and Wethersfield, Connecticut, who petitioned to start a new colony up north after some controversy over doctrine in the local church. At the time, Hadley encompassed a wide radius of land on both sides of the Connecticut River, but mostly on the eastern shore. In the following century, these were broken off into precincts and eventually the separate towns of Hatfield, Amherst, South Hadley, Granbyand Belchertown. The population in the 2000 census was 4,793.
Abel WRIGHT appears on record in Springfield in 1655 while the town was still in its infancy Abel settled in that part of Springfield, then known as Endfield (now Enfield and Somers, Connecticut), where his name and that of his son Joseph are found as witnesses to a deed in 1715 from Daniel Miller to Thomas Jones. Hannah’s mother.
Lieutenant Abel represented his town at the General court, Boston, 1695 Lived at Westfield, Mass. in 1655.
The area was originally inhabited by the Pocomtuc tribe, and was called Woronoco (meaning “the winding land”. Trading houses were built in 1639-40 by settlers from the Connecticut Colony. Massachusetts asserted jurisdiction, and prevailed after a boundary survey. In 1647, Massachusetts made Woronoco part of Springfield, Massachusetts.Land was incrementally purchased from the Indians and granted by the Springfield town meeting to English settlers, beginning in 1658. The area of Woronoco or “Streamfield” began to be permanently settled in the 1660s. In 1669 (OS), “Westfield” was incorporated as an independent town in 1920, it would be re-incorporated as a city.
From its founding until 1725, Westfield was the westernmost settlement in Massachusetts Colony. On 26 July 1708, seven or eight Indians rushed into the house of Lt Abel WRIGHT of Skipmuch (Skepmuck, later to become the present town of Westfield) in Springfield, and killed two soldiers, Aaron Parsons of Northampton and Benjah Hulbert of Enfield; scalped the wife of Lt Wright, who died Oct 19; took Hannah, the wife of Lt.Wright’s son Henry, and probably slew her; killed her infant son Henry in a cradle and knocked in the head of her daughter Hannah, aged 2 years, in the same cradle; the latter recovered.
George SEXTON moved to Westfield, Mass. before 1671, where his son Benjamin was born, said to be the first white child born in the town. This would put George’s presence there at 1666-1667.
On 3 Mar 1645 John TOMSON purchased a house and garden of Samuel Eddy near Spring Hill in Plymouth.
He purchased his first farm in Sandwich, in that part called Nobscusset, where he lived for a few years. He soon came to the conclusion that he could better his fortune by moving further into the interior.
He selected a place 13 miles west of the village of Plymouth on the outskirts of Bridgewater, Middleborough, and what later became Halifax. He purchased land of William Wetispaquin, sachem of the Neponsets, the purchase having been approved by the Court. The deed is recorded in Book 4, page 41, in the Registry of Deeds for Plymouth County. His homestead, including other purchases other than the above deed, contained more than six thousand acres. It was later divided into more than one hundred farmsteads. It commenced at the herring brook in the northern part of Halifax and extended nearly five miles south into Middleborough. He built a log house in Middleborough, about twenty rods west of the Plymouth line, where he lived until it was burned by the Indians.
Tradition says that he began clearing land with the intention of locating his house near where the saw mill of Ephriam B.Thompson later stood. After working for a while, he became thirsty and went into a valley near by to search for water. Upon finding a lively brook of pure water, he came to the conclusion that the spring could not be far away. He followed the brook up about one hundred rods and came to the fountain of pure, gushing water. A clearing was made here and a log house built. Charles H. Thompson says, “The importance of locating near a spring of never failing water, instead of attempting to dig wells, at that time, is apparent when we consider that shovels and spades in those times were made of wood instead of iron; wooden shovels were used by the third and fourth generations from John Thomson. When Ebenezer, a grandson of his, had a wooden shovel pointed or shod with iron, it was considered a very great improvement and was borrowed by the neighbors far and near. The ancient practice of building dwelling houses near springs and running water accounts for the very crooked roads in many localities of the old colony.”
He served as representative from Barnstable in 1671 and 1672. He was a sergeant of the military company in 1673. He became a representative for Middleboro about 1674 and served for the next eight years. He became a Lieutenant of the military company in 1675, and was in that year a commander of a garrison in King Philips War.
In May of 1653, William CLARKE was one of 24 petitioners to the Mass. General Court who desired to inhabit Northampton. All except Clarke were from Connecticut. On October 3, 1653, the first meeting of the proprietors of Northampton was held at either Springfield or Hartford, and William Clarke attended and signed as a proprietor. However, he didn’t move there because in 1654 he was chosen as a “Boundsman” to lay out a way to the burial grounds and to determine the bounds between Dorchester and Braintree. In 1655, between Dorchester and Dedham; and in 1658 between Dorchester and Braintree and Dorchester and Roxbury.
William CLARKE was the first citizen of Northampton to be elected deputy to the General Court, and 14 times between 1663 and 1682 was elected to that office, although not consecutively. He was Associate Justice of county court for 26 years; In 1662, he was authorized by the General Court to solemnize marriages, being the first person in that town to hold that responsible position. Frequently appointed by the Court to deal with Indians.
He was chosen Lieutenant of the first military company ever organized in Northampton, when that was the office of highest rank to which the company, on account of its small number of men was entitled, and was in active service during King Philip’s War and was at the same time a member of the military committee of the county
Arriving at New Amsterdam Lambert Huybertse (BRINK) had the son born at sea baptized Cornelis and then his family traveled up the Hudson River to the Esopus (name of river and Algonquin indian tribe) area to Wiltwyck (soon Kingston). He was one of the first settlers at Nieuw Dorp (soon Hurley) and in 1662 signed a five year lease with the Dutch West India Company (DWIC) Director Stuyvesant on land there west of the creek.
In the Spring of 1662, Peter Stuyvesant, Dutch Governor of Niew Amsterdam, established the village of Niew Dorp on the site of an earlier Native American Settlement. On 7 Jun 1663, during the Esopus Wars the Esopus Indians attacked and destroyed the village, and took captives who were later released. England took over the Dutch Colony on 6 Sep 1664. On 17 Sep 1669, the village, abandoned since the Esopus Indian attack, was resettled and renamed Hurley. It was named after Francis Lovelace, Baron Hurley of Ireland.
After Director Stuyvesant declared war on the Esopus Indians and attacked and killed and captured and shipped some out as slaves, the Indians retaliated with the 7 Jun 1663 destroying of Nieuw Dorp [Hurley] and Wiltwyck in which they burned and killed and took captives including Lambert’s wife Hendrickje (pregnant) and children Hytbert, Jannetje, and Cornelis who were rescued after about 3 months.
In 1667 at the end of his land lease agreement, Lambert purchased the land he had leased and more land also from the English who had taken over in 1664 (and mandated surnames) and the deed was dated 5 Aug 1667 and was filed at Kingston, NY. Nieuw Dorp, at that time, included parts of present-day Rosendale, Marbletown, Woodstock, and New Paltz. The area was settled around 1669 but received its patent (to Henry Beekman, Thomas Garton, and Charles Brodhead) only in 1703. The community of Marbletown once served briefly as the state capital. The Town of Marbletown is near the center of Ulster County, southwest of the City of Kingston.
Lambert was one of the Dutch settlers to protest their treatment by the British military in the “mutiny at the Esopus” in 1667. The Wiltwyck document concerning this was signed by 31 men including Lambert on 28 Apr 1667.
The town of Lebanon has its origins with the settlers of Norwich, who wanted to expand beyond the “nine miles square” they had bought from the Mohegan sachemUncas. In 1663, the first grant in the area was given in to Maj. John MASON (Wikipedia), deputy governor of the Connecticut colony; the next year, Mason accepted 500 acres (2.0 km2) northwest of Norwich. This area, known as “Pomakuck” or “Pomocook” by the Mohegans, is now the Goshen Hill area of Lebanon. In 1666, Connecticut granted an additional 120 acres to the Rev. James FICTH , (
minister of Norwich, adjacent to Maj. Mason’s land which was now known as Cedar Swamp. The Mohegans conferred their blessing on the grants by giving an additional seven-mile (11 km) strip to Maj. Mason’s son in 1675, who split the land with the Rev. Fitch, his father-in-law. This area is now known as “Fitch and Mason’s Mile,” or just “The Mile. In 1692, Uncas’ son, Sachem Oweneco, sold twenty-five miles to four men from Norwich and Stonington (including Sam Mason, another son of Maj. Mason), known as the “Five Mile Purchase” or “Five Mile Square” (being five miles (8 km) on each side). With the Purchase, most of the modern-day town of Lebanon was established.
The town of Lebanon, Connecticut was incorporated by the General Assembly of the Connecticut Colony on October 10, 1700. The town’s name was the idea of one of the Rev. Fitch’s sons, because of “the height of the land, and a large cedar forest.” Lebanon was the first town in Connecticut colony to be given a Biblical name Originally (and now) in New London County, it was part of Windham County from 1726 to 1824.
In 1698, except for his oldest daughter, who had married, William CLARKE and his family moved to Lebanon where he was one of 51 original proprietors. On May 2, 1700, he and Josiah Dewey of Northampton bought a large tract of wilderness in what is now Lebanon and the surrounding towns from Owanecho, Sachem of the Mohegans, commonly called the Clark-Dewey purchase. William immediately became prominent in the new settlement. William was chosen as the first Deputy to the General Assembly from Lebanon in May 1705 and represented the town again in 1706 through 1713,1715, 17, 18 and 1719.
Swansea was named for Swansea, Wales which had been the hometown of some original settlers. John Miles, the founder of the first Baptist Church in Wales, moved to Swansea in 1662/3. William Brenton had purchased the land from Native Americans. Parts of its territory were originally part of Rehoboth, Massachusetts.
In 1667 the first Baptist church in Massachusetts relocated to Swansea from Rehoboth, Massachusetts after experiencing religious intolerance there, and Swansea was incorporated as an independent town.
Joseph CARPENTER was one of seven founding members of the Swansea Baptist Church. Formed at Rehoboth in the fall of 1666, it was relocated to neighboring Swansea about a year later, when the latter town was established.
On June 20, 1675 the first Indian attack of King Philip’s War had all 70 settlers confined to their stockade. By June 25 the entire town had been burned, although a handful of the colonists escaped to Taunton. When the active war ended in 1676, the town was soon rebuilt.
In 1679, Enfield’s first settlers, John PEASE, Jr. and Robert PEASE, arrived from Salem, Massachusetts, and spent their first winter camping in a shelter dug into the side of a hill. The next Spring, they were joined by their families and other settlers from Salem; by the end of that year (1680) about 25 families had settled in the area. In 1683, the Town of Enfield was incorporated. At this time, the town extended east ten miles from the Connecticut River and south six miles from Longmeadow Brook.
Five years later, on March 16, 1688, the townspeople purchased Enfield from a Podunk Indian named Notatuck for 25 pounds Sterling. It is unclear what claim Notatuck actually had to the land, or whether he was selling the land or the rights to use it.
Enfield’s population was growing. Little villages with names like Wallop and Scitico were settled within Enfield’s 60 square miles during the first decades of the 1700s. In 1734 the eastern-most village was incorporated as the Town of Somers.
As a result of an error in the survey done in 1642 by Woodward & Saffery, Enfield was settled as part of Massachusetts Colony. A 1695 survey corrected the error, showing that Enfield, as well as Suffield and Somers, was within Connecticut Colony’s borders. Apparently unhappy with the Massachusetts government, the citizens of Enfield first discussed separating from Massachusetts at a 1704 Enfield town meeting. Perhaps they weren’t really that unhappy, because it wasn’t until 1747 that Enfield began to officially pursue becoming part of Connecticut. Legal action was taken in both the Massachusetts and Connecticut Legislatures and in court in London, England. In 1750 Enfield seceded from Massachusetts and became part of Connecticut Colony.
Location of village within Westchester County
The earliest settler on the shore north of Tarrytown was Robert WILLIAMS who settled in Kitchewan (Croton) Point where he married in 1689 Grace Cerant or Haring widow of John Beselie. Shortly after he moved down into Philipsburgh and lived on a leasehold a little below the Croton River. Some time between 1711 and 1714 his step-son Francie Beselie settled on a leasehold just north of his.
Nineteen families are on record as living in Philipsburg in 1698 – Lourens Matthys Bankers (7), Deliverance Conklin (4), David Davids (3), Barent de Witt (5), Abraham de Revier (3), Wolfert Ecker (5), Jan Ecker 94), John Foseur (4), Francois Guiliamse (6), Jan Harmse (3), John Hyatt (7), Thomas Hyatt (2), David Storm (4), Peter Storm (3), Isaac Sie (5), Peter Sie (2), Jochem Woutersz Van Wert (6), Gerret Van Wert (5) and Robert Williams (5). The number in parentheses are the number of persons in each family as determined from church and other records, totaling 83. A few other families who were definitely here shortly after 1698 may have come before that date. The census of 1698 lists twenty one families living in Yonkers, Lower Yonkers.
The settlement before 1700 would seem to have been confined to the shore of the Hudson except for the See family at Nanegeeken, now Thornwood, and David Storm at East View. The earliest Dutch, Huguenor and Walloon families were located chiefly in the vicinity of Tarrytown and Irvington, with a few to the north of Tarrytown.
Washington Irving’s story “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” is set in Tarrytown. The name “Sleepy Hollow” comes from a secluded glen located in Tarrytown and is not the name of the town in which the story takes place. In the mid-nineties the residents of North Tarrytown voted to have their name changed to Sleepy Hollowin honor of the story.