William Barnes

William BARNES (1613 – 1697) was Alex’s 10th Great Grandfather, one of 2,048 in this generation of the Shaw line.

Immigrant Ancestor

William Barnes was born in 1613 in England. His parents were Thomas BARNES and Mary ANDREWS.

William was one of the first settlers of Amesbury, Essex, Mass

He married Rachel [LORD] in 1637 in Amesbury, Essex, Mass. William died 14 Mar 1697 in Salisbury, Essex, Mass.

William Barnes – Amesbury Memorial

Over half the first settlers names on this memorial are our ancestors.  They are: Richard Currier, Orlando BAGLEY Sr., John Bailey, William BARNES, Thomas Barnard, Henry Blaisdell, Philip Challis, Anthony COLBY,  John COLBY, Edward Cottle, Jarret Haddon, John HOYT, William Huntington, Thomas Macy, George MARTIN, Valentine Rowell, William SARGENT and John Weed.

Rachel [Lord] was born about 1617 in England. Her parents may have been Anthony LORD and Katherine THOMPSON.   Rachel’s identify isn’t known for sure, early genealogists didn’t include a family name.  Others say her maiden name is Lord because her mother was named Grace Lord from a previous marriage or that  she is Rachel Fitts, sister to Robert Fitts.   Rachel died 9 Feb 1686 in Salisbury, Essex, Mass.

Children of William and Rachel:

Name Born Married Departed
1. William Barnes 1638 Salisbury, Essex, Mass 11 Jun 1648
2. Mary Barnes 25 Jan 1643 Salisbury, John Hoyt
(Son of John HOYT)
23 Jun 1659 Salisbury
13 Aug 1696
3. Hannah BARNES 25 Jan 1644 Salisbury John PROWSE
2 Oct 1665 Salisbury, Essex, Mass.
27 May 1688 Amesbury, Essex, Mass.
4. Deborah Barnes
1 Apr 1646 Salisbury, Samuel Davis (son of our ancestor James DAVIS)
17 Dec 1663 Haverhill
14 Jan 1719
Haverhill, Mass
5. Jonathan Barnes 1 Apr 1648 Salisbury 1649
6. Rachel Barnes 30 Apr 1649 Salisbury Lt. Thomas Sargent
(Son of William SARGENT)
2 Mar 1668 Salisbury
7 Feb 1718
7. Sarah Barnes 7 Apr 1651 Amesbury, Essex, Mass Thomas Rowell
8 Sep 1670 Salisbury
John Harvey
1685 Amesbury
17 Apr 1720
8. Rebecca Barnes 1654 Amesbury, Essex, Mass Moses Morrill
3 Apr 1727

William was a house carpenter.

OLD FAMILIES OF SALISBURY AND AMESBURY, MA by David Hoyt 1897- he was a house carpenter of Salisbury and Amesbury; free 1641
From the “Holt Haight Book” by David HOYT (1871):

William Barnes was one of the original settlers of Salisbury, Mass.  At the first division of land, he received a house lot and a planting lot of four acres. In Jan., 1640-41, he received the “Rockie Island” in the meadow, and other grants.  On the list of freemen contained in the Mass.. Records, under date of June 2, 1641, we find the name of William Barnes, in connection with two or three other Salisbury names. He was one of those who removed to the west side of the Powow River , and settled that part of the town afterwards called Amesbury. On the Amesbury records he is frequently mentioned as constable, moderator, &c. His name also occurs several times on the Old Norfolk records, as juror, one of the “commission” to end small causes” in Amesbury, &c. His grants of land in the new town correspond very nearly ID member and amount with those of John HOYT . His trade was that of a house carpenter. Wife Rachel died Feb. 9, 1685-6. He died March 14, 1697-8. Will dated April 7, 1696, proved Sep. 28, 1698. His homestead was bequeathed to his daughter, Rebecca Morrill.


WILLIAM, Salisbury 1610, freem. 2 June 1641, by w. Rachel had
Mary, wh. m. 23 June 1659, sec. John Hoyt;
William, wh. d. 11 June 1648;
Hannah, b. 25 Jan. 1644;
Deborah, 1 Apr. 1646;
Jonathan, 1 Apr. 1648;
Rachel, 30 Apr. 1649, wh. m. 2 Mar. 1668 or 9 (both dates being giv.), Thomas Sargent; Sarah, wh. m. 8 Sept. 1670, Thomas Rowell, and next, 26 Oct. 1676, John, or more prob. Thomas Harvey, as the Amesbury rec. gives the name; and Rebecca, wh. m. Moses Morrill.

Deborah m. 19 Dec. 1663, Samuel Davis. He was one of the first settlers of Amesbury a. 1654. It has been thought that he is the man in the list of passengers by the Globe from London for Virginia, 1635, and the names of William Brown, and Richard Wells in the same list are seen, both, also, found at Salisbury. But those surnames are so frequent on both sides of the ocean, that the argument must not be pressed too far. Some persons might, at that time, think it easy to go from one part of America to another; but most of those for Virginia were not puritans, and all wh. would come to New England especially from London, easily gained direct, instead of circuitous passage. Of this name, includ. those spelt without e, Farmer, in 1834, count. seven gr. at Yale, five at Harv. and five at other N. E. coll.

Golgotha Memorial - meaning burial ground

Golgotha Memorial – n 1903, a memorial was erected by the Amesbury Improvement Association, to mark the site of Amesbury’s first burying ground. They called the site Golgotha meaning, “a place of great suffering”
The gravestones in this first burying ground have long since disappeared,

Settled in 1642, Amesbury was first recognized as “Salisbury New Town” in 1666 when it formally separated from Salisbury. It was incorporated as “Amesbury” in 1668, after Amesbury in Wiltshire, England.

Originally the boundary between Amesbury and Salisbury was the Powwow River. In 1876 Merrimac was created out of West Amesbury. In 1886 West Salisbury was annexed to Amesbury so the mill area on the Powwow River was unified. See the maps linked below.

Beginning as a modest farming community, it would develop an aggressive maritime and industrial economy. The 90 foot drop in the falls of the Powwow River provided water power for sawmills and gristmills. Shipbuilding,shipping and fishing were also important. The ferry across the Merrimack River to Newburyport was a lively business until the construction of bridges to Deer Island.

William BARNES, Anthony COLBY, William Osgood, Philip Challis and Samuel Worcester jointly owned a saw mill near Powwow River Falls, Amesbury

4 Nov 1658 – whereas there is a saw mill in possession of Wm Osgood, Phil Challis, William BARNES, Anthony COLBY and Samuel Worcester, co-partners with said Colby in one-fourth part of the mill in Salisbury upon Pawwaws river near the corn mill, they should keep it in good working order, and agreed to make good to Wm Osgood the grant of the town; the timber to be equally divided among them and each partner to have the privilege of using the mill for sawing his own timber into boards or planks to be used only on the land where said Osgood now dwells for building or repairing, provided they bring the timber to the mill already cut; if any one of them makes a new way to any parcel of timber, the others were to pay part of the cost if they used said way; if any one of them cleared the river for floating down logs to the saw mill, the others should bear part of the charge if they used the river for this purpose, etc; each partner was to be allowed 3s per day for what time he gave to repairs on the mill, if he be a good workman, and 4s per day for making the head block and 3s per day for a hinder head block and 2s 6d for a wallower or sweep; each partner was to provide saws for himself and the saws now at the mill to be equally divided, except those for oak; each partner was to take the mill to run for a week and so in order through the year, William Osgood beginning, followed by Colby, Worcester, Barnes and Challis in order; each was to lay his boards and logs at the mill where they had formerly. Witnesses: Thomas Bradbury, Humphrey Verney, Rodger Easman and Jno HOYT.


2. Mary Barnes

Mary’s husband John Hoyt was born 1638 in Salisbury, Mass. His parents were  John HOYT and Frances TEWKSBURY.  John died 13 Aug 1696 in Andover, Mass

He received, land in A. 1658-66 ; ” children’s land ” and taxed 1659 ; ” townsman ” 1660 ; oath fid. and meeting-house seat 1667 ; oath al. Dec, 1677 ; kept “ordinary ” for A. 1667-9.
He was member ” training band,” 1680 ; killed by Indians in Andover, on the road to Haverhill, Aug. 13, 1696 ; adm. est. Aug. 9, 1697 ; wid. Mary liv. 1704. Children :

1663 – A Jno Hoyt of Salisbury tooke ye freemans Oath before this present Court, Salisbury,

Oct 1658 – He received his first lot of land (“on the river”) in Amesbury, and was admitted as a “townsman”, Dec 10, 1660. Among other lots which he received were one in “Lion’s Mouth,” 26 Feb 1661 and a lot of 120 acres, April, 1662. One of his earliest purchases consisted of five acres of upland at the “southermost end of Tom: Whitchers hill,” bought of Edward Cottell in 1660. It is difficult to dertermine the location of his homestead.

1689 – Johns Hoyt deeds to his son, Joseph, a dwelling-honse, pasture, &c., formerly his father’s, John, on condition that Joseph pay annually to his grandmother, Widow Frances Hoyt, the same sum that Johns was obliged to pay. The land is described as ” Lying in betwixt ye lands of Wm. Barnes and Will. Osgood Soar. on or towards ye north and northeast, and ye lands of Elenor Little and John Barnard southward, abutting upon the Powow river Eastward and toward ye Southeast, adjacent upon both ye west and East Sides of ye Country rode yt leadeth from Amsbury ferry to Salisbury.”

A drift-way from the road to this lot, an easterly direction, was 80 rods in length; hence the homestead was a little more than half of a mile west of the Powow River

John Hoyt’s father John was on the grand jury in 1667, and a John Hoyt,probably the same one, was also one of the grand jury in 1663.

1667 – On the records of the Salisbury Court, 9, 2m 1667, we find the three following entries: “Jn_ Hoyt Jvn: tooke ye oath of fidelitie: att ye prsent Court.” “Jn_ Hovt jvn: vpon ye request & choyce of ye Newtowne is admited by this prsent Court to keep ye Ordinary at ye New town of Salisbury, & to sell wine ~ strong waters for ye ye are ensuing.”

Also, “Jno Hoyt jun: is dismiss by this Court from all trainings: vntil such time: as he shalbe cuered of yt infirmity wch cloth att prsent disinable him fro trayning.”

1668 – (Salisbury Court, 14, 2m, 1668) “Jn_ Hoyt jvn’: license is renued to keep ye ordinary at ye new towne: & to pvide entertainmt for horse men ~ foot men: but hath liberty to sell wt wine & strong waters he bath laid in in respect to ye ordinary, and L: (challis is to take notis of wt he hath layd in & to make returne thereof to ye clarke within 14 dayes.”

13, 2m, 1669, he was also licensed “to keep ye ordinary for Amsbury for ye yeare ensuing.” He took “ye oath of Alleiance fidelity” before Major Robert Pike in “Eamsbery,” Dec. 20, 1677. He is also frequently mentioned as a juror, on the Old Norfolk records.

John Hoyt always signed his own name in full, and evidently had a pretty good education for a common man of those times. In old deeds (of which he gave and received a large number), he is sometimes called a ” planter,” and sometimes a “carpenter.” He and his father sold buildings and land to the town for the use of the ministry, soon after Amesbury was incorporated.

9 Jul 1667 – He had a seat assigned him in the meeting house.

His name frequently appears on the Amesbury records as lot-layer, constable, &c. He was chosen a “standing lot-layer,” 12 Mar 1667/68 ; constable, 1674 and ’77-78; to rectify bounds of land, 1680-81; constable in Thomas Stevens’ place, April, 1690; added to committee “to return the bounds of land into the towne book of Records,” March, 1690-1; # chosen “Clarke of ye markets” for the town of Amesbury 1692/93,

But he did not always find these offices either agreeable or profitable, as is abundantly proved by the following petition, preserved in the archives of Massachusetts:

“To the honble their majties Great and Generall Court of the Province of the Massachusetts Bay in New England, now sitting in Boston by ad.journem`, March 6th, 1694/95.

The Petition of John Hoite, one of the late Constables of Amesbury, now a prisons in Salem Gaol,

Humbly Sheweth, that yor Petitionr is now in Prison undr an Execution for the Non. satisfaction of the arrcares of the rates comitted to him to collect whitest he was Constable of Amesbury. That Your Petitiont has Lately mett with great losses, haveing had his house plundered by the Indians, and has been visited with much sickness through the holy afflicting hand of god upon him–besides sundry of the persons from whome many of sd arreares be due are both dead & removed out of ye Towne. Now For asmuch as yor poore petitions by the providence of God is reduced to a necessitous condition, and wholelv uncapacitated, by reason of his confinemt, to doo any thing for himself & family or ye paymt of sd arreares for ye prsent, he therefore humbly entreates the favour of this high & honble Court to Consider the premisses, by being pleased to grant unto him two or three yeares space for paymt thereof; as also for areleasemt from his confinemt.

“And yor petitionr as in duty bound shall Ever pray, &c.
John Hoite.

Voted upon Reading the Petition abovesd that sd Petitioner is granted his Request provided he give security to mr Treasurer to pay sd money within two years into the Treasury. March 8th, 169 4/5 past in the affirrnative by the house of Representatives & sent up to the honorable Lt Governr & Council for consent. Nehemiah Jewet, Speaker.”

All that we know of his imprisonment is what is contained in the foregoing petition. Whether he ever paid the debt himself is uncertain, as he died within two years after his release. He–with a young man named Peters, also of Amesbury–was killed by Indians, in Andover, on the road to Haverhill, hug. 13, 1696. The following is the account of the administration of his estate

“Essex sc. By ye Honble Barth Gedney Esq~ Judge of probate of Wills &c for sd County august 9th 1697.

Administration of all & Singuler the goods Chattls rights and Credits of John Hovt late of Almsbury deed. granted vnto Joseph Hoyt Son of the deed, he having giuen bond with Surety for his administration according to law: the Widow and Eldest Son signifying vnder their hands y’ Renovncing the same, & is with the bond on file.”

“An Inuentory of the Estate of John Hoyt of Almsbury deed. Apprizcd as mony Nouembr 5th 1697 p vs whose names are under written.

mony Nouembr 5th 1697 p vs whose names are under written.

S d Imp’.. a great Iron pot & pot hooks 10s trammell 5 s 15 —0
It. an Iron kettle 7s a pr tongs 2s. wooden turnd. ware 2s 11 –0
It poringer spoones & sizers 1sa saw 3s 2 hamrs 18d 5 ——-6
It 2 shaves 1sa wedge 1s A gun barer & stock 10s. 12 ——–0
It. a snapsack sword & powder home 3s, old Iron 6s 9———0
It. a broken Square &: a pr of Compasses 1s 1 ——0
It. 2 trayes a Cooler a driping pan & a gall pottle 2——-0
It. a bedsteed 6s curtains 6s teed & bedsteed 3pd 3—-12—-0
It. a brass skilet a bet mettle skillet 2s 2——0
It. an old bread dish & tunnel 1s. bible and other books 3s 4—0
It. 3 augers 1 chisel 3s an old ax 1s 6d 4——–6
It. half bz. & another Chisel 4s 3d—frying pan 1′ grid Iron 18d 6——–9
It. a fire slice 18d 2 old chests & 2 old boxes 5 s 6 ——-6
It. a speck gimblit & 2 spiring Wheels 3s 6d 3 —–6

Samll Weed
Ebenezer Blaisdell } Apriz Totall ~ 7ù14ù9

Joseph Hoyt presented the above Inventory, Nov. 10, 1697. Joseph Hoyt also exhibited an account of the administration of John Hoyt’s estate, May 22, 1712. No real estate appears in the above inventory but John’s widow seems to have possessed a homestead after his death

3. Hannah BARNES (See John PROWSE‘s page)

4. Deborah Barnes

Deborah’s husband Samuel Davis was born 26 Nov 1640, Haverhill, Mass. His parents were James DAVIS and Cicely THAYER.  Samuel died 10 Sep 1696 in Haverhill, Mass.

6. Rachel Barnes

Rachel’s husband Lt. Thomas Sargent was born 11 Jun 1643 Salisbury, Essex, Mass. His parents were William SARGENT and Elizabeth PERKINS..  Thomas died 27 Feb 1706 in Amesbury, Mass

Thomas was a farmer and lived on Bear Hill. He took the oath of allegiance and fidelity at Amesbury before Major Robert Pike, December 20, 1677. He held various town offices and as lieutenant of the militia company. He was on of the most prominent men of his day in Amesbury. His will was dated February 8, 1706, and proved at Salem, April 8, 1706. It was signed Thomas Sargent and named his wife, five sons and the four daughters then living.

7. Sarah Barnes

Sarah’s first husband Thomas Rowell was born 7 Sep 1644 in Salisbury, Essex, Mass. His parents were Valentine Rowell and Ann Currier. Thomas died 8 Sep 1670 in Amesbury, Essex, Mass.

Of Amesbury, MA. Received children’s land 1659, township 1660, meeting-house seet 1667, Oath of Allegiance 1677, signed petitions of 1680. Will made 6 May & 30 Sep 1684.

Sarah’s second husband John Harvey was born 5 Feb 1655 in Boston, Suffolk, Mass. His parents were William Harvey and Martha Copp. John died 8 Mar 1706 in Amesbury, Essex, Mass

8. Rebecca Barnes

Rebecca’s husband Moses Morrill was born 28 Dec 1655 in Salisbury, Essex, Mass. His parents were Abraham Morrill and Sarah Clement. Moses died 20 May 1731 in Salisbury, Essex, Mass.


William Barnes 1 Source: Ancestry of Charles Stinson Pillsbury and John Sargent Pillsbury (1938)

William Barnes 2



Ancestry of Charles Stinson Pillsbury and John Sargent Pillsbury (1938) By Holman, Mary Lovering, 1868-1947 and Pillsbury, Helen Pendleton Winston, 1878-1957


This entry was posted in 12th Generation, Historical Monument, Immigrant - England, Line - Shaw, Pioneer and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to William Barnes

  1. Pingback: John Prowse | Miner Descent

  2. Pingback: Anthony Colby | Miner Descent

  3. Pingback: Orlando Bagley Sr. | Miner Descent

  4. Pingback: William Sargent | Miner Descent

  5. Pingback: George Martin | Miner Descent

  6. Pingback: John Colby | Miner Descent

  7. Pingback: John Hoyt | Miner Descent

  8. Pingback: New England Pioneers | Miner Descent

  9. Pingback: Anthony Lord | Miner Descent

  10. Pingback: James Davis | Miner Descent

  11. Pingback: Orlando Bagley Jr. | Miner Descent

  12. Pingback: John Colby | Miner Descent

  13. debra perry (hoyt( says:

    thank you very much.

  14. Michael Tuck says:

    How did you resolve the question as to the name of William Barnes’ wife Rachel? (1) Some say her maiden name is Lord, whose mother was named Grace Lord from a previous marriage. (2) Others say she is Rachel Fitts, sister to Robert Fitts. (3) She is the daughter of Anthony Lord and Katherine Thompson, as you have on your site.

    • markeminer says:

      Hi Michael,

      I don’t have any special insight about Rachel’s origins. Early genealogists, such as Savage, didn’t include a maiden name and I haven’t seen any reference to original documents. I’m guessing all three theories are conjecture. I updated the page to be consistent with the uncertainty.

      Thanks for the heads up,

  15. This Barnes coat of arms is copyright of http://www.4crests.com. Please remove it, or at least add a link to our website and remove any advertising to outside companies, such as Ancestry.com…. This amounts to you using my images to collect ad dollars for yourself. Please cease and desist. You have quite a huge number of my graphics on your site at minerdescent.com

    Mike Kennaugh

  16. Connie Mack says:

    William Barnes, son of Thomas, was Christened 07 NOV 1613 at SAINT DUNSTAN IN THE EAST,LONDON,LONDON,ENGLAND (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NP1C-NZ1 : 11 February 2018, William Barnes, 07 Nov 1613); citing , index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City; FHL microfilm 845,247.

Leave a Reply to debra perry (hoyt( Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s