Samuell Broadley

Samuell BROADLEY (1619 – aft. 1667) was Alex’s 9th Great Grandfather; one of 1,024 in this generation of the Shaw line. His daughter Sarah married one of the richest men in New York and then as a young double widow married the famous Captain William Kidd.

Captain Kidd in New York Harbor 1922 –  Captain William Kidd welcoming a young woman on board his ship; other men and women crowd the deck as another woman steps aboard.   Jean Leon Gerome Ferris (1863–1930)

Samuell Broadley was born 14 Nov 1619 in Bingley (or Shipley) Yorkshire, England.  His parents were Danyell BROADLEY de WEST MORTON and Elsabeth ATKINSON A tradition handed down in several branches of the family states that his father was a friend of Cromwell. His stepmother Elizabeth and her children and stepchildren followed his oldest brother William to New England. He married [__?__]. Samuell died in Long Island, NY (problaby in Southold) after 1667.

Children of Samuell and [__?__]

Name Born Married Departed
1. James Bradley ca. 1640
Long Island, NY
Sep 1704
2. Samuel Bradley ca. 1642
Long Island, NY
Apr 1703 New York, NY
3. Peter Bradley ca. 1655
Long Island, NY
Mary [__?__]
ca. 1677
Long Island, NY
4. Henry BRADLEY ca. 1660 Dorchester, Mass or in Long Island NY. Judith BROWN
7 Jan 1695/96 in Newbury, Mass
before Jul 1735 Dorchester, Maryland.
5. Sarah Bradley 1665
New York
William Cox
New York, NY
John Oort
after 1689 in New York
the famous Captain William Kidd
16 May 1691 New York, NY
Christopher Rousby
4 Nov 1703
12 Sep 1744
New York
6. George Bradley 1667 in Connecticut Hannah Braman
29 May 1717
Tolland, CT
20 Apr 1741 in Tolland, CT


2. Samuel Bradley

Samuel’s brother-in-law William Cox was very generous to Samuel in his will, making him a rich man.  Here’s the pertinent excerpt,

I give and bequeath to Samuel Bradley, my brother in law, my other house which I bought of Mr. John Robinson, or that house I now live in, my wife taking her choice.” “If God send my brother in law an heir, he shall call his name Cox Bradley and his children after him the same name.” I leave to Henry Bradley all my right to a piece of land at the mill, and all things thereon, and £100 when of age. Rest of property is left to his wife Sarah and his brother in law Samuel Bradley. .

Samuel’s son Samuel Jr. names  his brother in law, Captain William Kidd as his heir because Kidd advanced the capital for his business.  As luck would have it, Samuel Jr. outlived his brother in law by two years. William “Captain” Kidd (c.1645 – 1701) was a Scottish sailor remembered for his trial and execution for piracy after returning from a voyage to the Indian Ocean. Some modern historians deem his piratical reputation unjust, as there is evidence that Kidd acted only as a privateer.

SAMUEL BRADLEY. “In the name of the Lord, Amen. This 5 day of July in ye year of our Lord 1693, I, Samuel Bradley, of the city of New York, merchant, being at present in good health and being now bound on a voyage beyond the sea.” “Whereas my loving brother in law, Captain William Kidd, hath been very careful of me, and hath likewise for my encouragement, now in my minority, at my desire and request, advanced and paid unto me ye sum of œ140, current money of New York, which I now employ in trade and merchandize. For and in consideration of his so great love unto me, as well as in recompense and in full satisfaction of ye said sum of money, advanced as aforesaid, I do give and bequeath unto my said loving brother in law Captain William Kidd, his heirs and assigns for ever, All that my one  half of one certain toft or lot of Ground numbered with the number 6. Situate, lying, and being within ye city of New York, in ye street commonly called and known by ye name of ye Dock street. And likewise all that my one half of a certain messuage or dwelling house and lot lying and being in ye street commonly called by ye name of ye Wall street. And also that my lot or Toft of ground in ye new street, without ye gate of ye said city, called King street. I will that all my goods and chattels be equally divided into three parts, amongst my loving father, Samuel Bradley, my brother in law, William Kidd, and my loving brother, Henry Bradley. And lastly I constitute and appoint my said brother in law, Captain William Kidd, to be executor.

Witnesses, Richard Jones, William Morris, Jacob Mayle, James Graham

Edward, Viscount Cornbury, Captain-General and Governor, etc. Whereas SAMUEL BRADLEY, New York, merchant, lately died, leaving behind him his last will, therein declaring his brother in law, William Kidd, sole executor, who died without having proved the said will. And whereas Sarah Kidd, widow and relict of William Kidd, and sister to ye said Samuel Bradley, hath prayed for the administration, The same is granted, April 13, 1703, and the said Sarah Kidd is sworn as executrix


The Pirate Hunter By Richard Zacks

3. Peter Bradley

Peter’s wife Mary [__?__]

4. Henry BRADLEY (See his page)

5. Sarah Bradley

Sarah’s first husband William Cox was born in England. William drowned 12 Aug 1689 in the bay off Staten Island.

Sarah’s second husband John Oort died died on 14 May 1691 in New York City.

Sarah’s third husband the famous Captain William Kidd was born in Dundee, Scotland January 1654. His father was Captain John Kyd, who was lost at sea. He later settled in the new colony of New York. It was here that he befriended many prominent colonial citizens, including three governors.   William was hanged on 23 May 1701, at ‘Execution Dock‘, Wapping, in London. During the execution, the hangman’s rope broke and Kidd was hanged on the second attempt. His body was gibbeted—left to hang in an iron cage over the River Thames at Tilbury Point—as a warning to future would-be pirates for three years..

Sarah’s fourth husband Christopher Rousby was born 1650 in Ryton, Shropshire,  England.    Christopher died Oct 1732 in New York City.

When  Sarah married Captain William Kidd, she was in her early twenties, already twice widowed,  and was one of the wealthiest women in New York, largely due to her inheritance from her first husband, William Cox.  Sara had two daughters by Cox. She applied for her license to marry William Kidd only two days after the death of John Oort, sparking rumors that her husband may have been murdered. No proof was ever produced, however, and she went on to marry Capt. Kidd, a wealthy widow.

William Cox’s Will

“In the name of God, Amen. I, William Cox, merchant.” I bequeath to my well beloved servant, Jacob Mayle, £100 in money, to see my books and accounts settled, and make him one of my executors. I leave to my loving friend, Richard Jones, œ20, and make him executor. I leave to my mother, Alice Cox, alias Bone, £500, to Dorothy Lee, £10. “I give and bequeath to my dear and loving wife Sarah, which house she pleases to have, to her and heirs. I give and bequeath to Samuel Bradley, my brother in law, my other house which I bought of Mr. John Robinson, or that house I now live in, my wife taking her choice.” “If God send my brother in law an heir, he shall call his name Cox Bradley and his children after him the same name.” I leave to Henry Bradley all my right to a piece of land at the mill, and all things thereon, and £100 when of age. Rest of property is left to his wife Sarah and his brother in law Samuel Bradley. “My desire is that this house where I now dwell should be for my brother Samuel, as above expressed, for reasons of fulfilling an oath, formerly sworn to my mother, she forcing me to passion; in fulfilling whereof I desire that there may be no contention after my decease.”

Dated July 15, 1689. Witnesses, Jacob Mayle, Henry Mayle. Proved in Court of Sessions, held the first Tuesday in August, 1689.

Inventory made September 11, 1689. 27 1/4 gallons of sweet wine, £8. 9s., 5 gallons madeira wine, 15s. This inventory is very lengthy, covering several pages, and amounting to some thousands of pounds, showing plainly that William Cox was one of the wealthy merchants of his day.  I wonder why he was so generous with the entire Bradley family.

William Cox is said to have been drowned in the bay off Staten Island, in August, 1689. The house he lived in, which was the one chosen by his wife, is now No. 56 Wall Street. The house bought of Mr. John Robinson is  No. 129 Pearl Street.

The Pearl Street house Sarah inherited from William Cox which she later shared with William Kidd   — Notice the boats beached along Pearl St—back then, the water came right up to its edge, but now Pearl Street sits several streets from the shore.

William Cox, who lived a few years later, in the neighborhood of Hanover Square, was an interesting and more or less important personage. Besides owning a valuable mill property, he was a well known merchant in his day, and extensively engaged in the West India and other foreign trade. Public interests also appear to have claimed a share of his attention. In 1683, he was an Alderman of the city, and in 1689, was sent to Amboy by Leisler, the self-constituted and then acting Governor, to proclaim the accession of William and Mary. Returning from this errand, which he had accomplished with due pomp and ceremony, he was drowned while disembarking from his vessel. He left an estate of some £2,000, and from the inventory of his personal belongings it is evident that luxury was not unknown to New York merchants even in those early days. Costly plate and articles of rare value from foreign lands are enumerated in detail. His home was completely furnished and in a manner which would seem to indicate large wealth and social prominence.

William “Captain” Kidd (c. 1645 – 23 May 1701) was a Scottish sailor remembered for his trial and execution for piracy after returning from a voyage to the Indian Ocean. Some modern historians deem his piratical reputation unjust, as there is evidence that Kidd acted only as a privateer. Kidd’s fame springs largely from the sensational circumstances of his questioning before the English Parliament and the ensuing trial. His actual depredations on the high seas, whether piratical or not, were both less destructive and less lucrative than those of many other contemporary pirates and privateers.

William Kidd.jpg

Kidd was born in Greenock, Scotland around 1645. He is also said to be from a family of Cornish gold-miners. According to myth or other stories, his “father was thought to have been a Church of Scotland minister.” After the death of his father, when he was five years old, Kidd moved to the colony of New York. It was here that he befriended many prominent colonial citizens, including three governors. There is some information that suggests he was a seaman’s apprentice on a pirate ship much earlier than his own more famous pirating.

The first records of his life date from 1689, when he was about 44 years old and a member of a French-English pirate crew that sailed in the Caribbean. Kidd and other members of the crew mutinied, ousted the captain of the ship, and sailed to the English colony of Nevis. There they renamed the ship the Blessed William.  Kidd became captain, either the result of an election of the ship’s crew or because of appointment by Christopher Codrington, governor of the island of Nevis.  Captain Kidd and the Blessed William became part of a small fleet assembled by Codrington to defend Nevis from the French, with whom the English were at war. In either case, he must have been an experienced leader and sailor by that time. As the governor did not want to pay the sailors for their defensive services, he told them they could take their pay from the French. Kidd and his men attacked the French island of Mariegalante, destroyed the only town, and looted the area, gathering for themselves something around 2,000 pounds Sterling. During the War of the Grand Alliance, on orders from the province of New York, Massachusetts, Kidd captured an enemy privateer, which duty he was commissioned to perform off of the New England coast. Shortly thereafter, Kidd was awarded £150 for successful privateering in the Caribbean. One year later, “Captain” Culliford, a notorious pirate, had stolen Kidd’s ship while he was ashore at Antigua in the West Indies. In 1695, William III of England replaced the corrupt governor Benjamin Fletcher, known for accepting bribes of one hundred dollars to allow illegal trading of pirate loot, with Richard Coote, Earl of Bellomont.  In New York City, Kidd was active in the building of Trinity Church, New York.

16 May 1691 – Kidd married Sarah Bradley Cox Oort,  [a mouthful of a name already and  soon to be Sarah Bradley Cox Oort Kidd ]  an English woman in her early twenties, who had already been twice widowed and was one of the wealthiest women in New York, largely due to her inheritance from her first husband.

John Oort

William and Sarah applied for a marriage license on May 16 1691, just two days after John Oort had suddenly and mysteriously died. The exact cause of death isn’t known, however speculation and rumour was rife, with both Kidd and Sarah suspected of being implicated in his death. Nothing could be proved however, and so William and Sarah, together with Sarah’s two daughters from a previous marriage, settled down to respectable married life. Kidd struck up a close friendship with Col. Benjamin Fletcher, the new colonial governor, who was later to be relieved from his post because of his dealings with well known pirates including Thomas Tew and Henry Every.

The Pirate Hunter by Richard Zacks

11 Dec 1695 –  Bellomont, who was now governing New York, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire, asked the “trusty and well beloved Captain Kidd” to attack Thomas Tew, John Ireland, Thomas Wake, William Maze, and all others who associated themselves with pirates, along with any enemy French ships. This request preceded the voyage which established Kidd’s reputation as a pirate, and marked his image in history and folklore.  Four-fifths of the cost for the venture was paid for by noble lords, who were among the most powerful men in England: the Earl of Orford, The Baron of Romney, the Duke of Shrewsbury and Sir John Somers. Kidd was presented with a letter of marque, signed personally by King William III of England. This letter reserved 10% of the loot for the Crown, and Henry Gilbert’s The Book of Pirates suggests that the King may have fronted some of the money for the voyage himself. Kidd and an acquaintance, Colonel Robert Livingston, orchestrated the whole plan and paid for the rest. Kidd had to sell his ship Antigua to raise funds.

The new ship, the Adventure Galley, was well suited to the task of catching pirates; weighing over 284 tons, she was equipped with 34 cannons, oars, and 150 men. The oars were a key advantage as they would enable the Adventure Galley to maneuver in a battle when the winds had calmed and other ships were dead in the water. Kidd took pride in personally selecting the crew, choosing only those he deemed to be the best and most loyal officers.  As the Adventure Galley sailed down the Thames, Kidd unaccountably failed to salute a Navy yacht at Greenwich as custom dictated. The Navy yacht then fired a shot to make him show respect, and Kidd’s crew… responded with an astounding display of impudence—by turning and slapping their backsides in disdain.

Because of Kidd’s refusal to salute, the Navy vessel’s captain retaliated by pressing much of Kidd’s crew into naval service, this despite rampant protests. Thus short-handed, Kidd sailed for New York City, capturing a French vessel en route (which was legal under the terms of his commission). To make up for the lack of officers, Kidd picked up replacement crew in New York, the vast majority of whom were known and hardened criminals, some undoubtedly former pirates.

Among Kidd’s officers was his quartermaster, Hendrick van der Heul. The quartermaster was considered ‘second in command’ to the captain in pirate culture of this era. It is not clear, however, if Van der Heul exercised this degree of responsibility because Kidd was nominally a privateer. Van der Heul is also noteworthy because he may have been African or of African-American descent. A contemporary source describes him as a “small black Man.” However, the meaning of this term is not certain as, in late seventeenth-century usage, the term negro would have been normally used, and the phrase “black Man” could mean either black-skinned or black-haired. If van der Heul was indeed of African ancestry, this fact would make him the highest ranking black pirate so far identified. Van der Heul went on to become a master’s mate on a merchant vessel, and was never convicted of piracy.

Sep 1696 – Kidd weighed anchor and set course for the Cape of Good Hope. A third of his crew soon perished on the Comoros due to an outbreak of cholera, the brand-new ship developed many leaks, and he failed to find the pirates he expected to encounter off Madagascar. Kidd then sailed to the Strait of Bab-el-Mandeb at the southern entrance of the Red Sea, one of the most popular haunts of rovers on the Pirate Round. Here he again failed to find any pirates. According to Edward Barlow, a captain employed by the British East India Company, Kidd attacked a Mughal convoy here under escort by Barlow’s East Indiaman, and was beaten off. If the report is true, this marked Kidd’s first foray into piracy.

As it became obvious his ambitious enterprise was failing, he became understandably desperate to cover its costs. But, once again, Kidd failed to attack several ships when given a chance, including a Dutchman and New York privateer. Some of the crew deserted Kidd the next time the Adventure Galley anchored offshore, and those who decided to stay behind made constant open-threats of mutiny.

30 Oct 1697 – Kidd killed one of his own crewmen.   While Kidd’s gunner, William Moore, was on deck sharpening a chisel, a Dutch ship hove in sight. Moore urged Kidd to attack the Dutchman, an act not only piratical but also certain to anger the Dutch-born King William. Kidd refused, calling Moore a lousy dog. Moore retorted, “If I am a lousy dog, you have made me so; you have brought me to ruin and many more.” Kidd snatched up and heaved an ironbound bucket at Moore. Moore fell to the deck with a fractured skull and died the following day.  While seventeenth century English admiralty law allowed captains great leeway in using violence against their crew, outright murder was not permitted. But Kidd seemed unconcerned, later explaining to his surgeon that he had “good friends in England, that will bring me off for that.”

Acts of savagery on Kidd’s part were reported by escaped prisoners, who told stories of being hoisted up by the arms and drubbed with a drawn cutlass. In truth, many of these acts were committed by his disobedient and mutinous crew. On one occasion, crew members ransacked the trading ship, Mary and tortured several of its crew members while Kidd and the other captain, Thomas Parker conversed privately in Kidd’s cabin. When Kidd found out what had happened, he was outraged and forced his men to return most of the stolen property.

Kidd was declared a pirate very early in his voyage by a Royal Navy officer to whom he had promised “thirty men or so”.   Kidd sailed away during the night to preserve his crew, rather than subject them to Royal Navy impressment.

30 Jan 1698, – He raised French colours and took his greatest prize, an Armenian ship, the 400 ton Quedagh Merchant, which was loaded with satins, muslins, gold, silver, an incredible variety of East Indian merchandise, as well as extremely valuable silks. The captain of the Quedagh Merchant was an Englishman named Wright, who had purchased passes from the French East India Company promising him the protection of the French Crown. After realizing the captain of the taken vessel was an Englishman, Kidd tried to persuade his crew to return the ship to its owners, but they refused, claiming that their prey was perfectly legal as Kidd was commissioned to take French ships, and that an Armenian ship counted as French if it had French passes. In an attempt to maintain his tenuous control over his crew, Kidd relented and kept the prize. When this news reached England, it confirmed Kidd’s reputation as a pirate, and various naval commanders were ordered to “pursue and seize the said Kidd and his accomplices” for the “notorious piracies”they had committed.

Kidd kept the French passes of the Quedagh Merchant, as well as the vessel itself. While the passes were at best a dubious defence of his capture, British admiralty and vice-admiralty courts (especially in North America) heretofore had often winked at privateers’ excesses into piracy, and Kidd may have been hoping that the passes would provide the legal fig leaf that would allow him to keep the Quedagh Merchant and her cargo. Renaming the seized merchantman the Adventure Prize, he set sail for Madagascar.

1  Apr 1698 –  Kidd reached Madagascar. Here he found the first pirate of his voyage, Robert Culliford, (the same man who had stolen Kidd’s ship years before) and his crew aboard the Mocha Frigate. Two contradictory accounts exist of how Kidd reacted to his encounter with Culliford. According to The General History of the Pirates, published more than 25 years after the event by an author whose very identity remains in dispute, Kidd made peaceful overtures to Culliford: he “drank their Captain’s health,” swearing that “he was in every respect their Brother,” and gave Culliford “a Present of an Anchor and some Guns.”This account appears to be based on the testimony of Kidd’s crewmen Joseph Palmer and Robert Bradinham at his trial. The other version was presented by Richard Zacks in his 2002 book The Pirate Hunter: The True Story of Captain Kidd. According to Zacks, Kidd was unaware that Culliford had only about 20 crew with him, and felt ill manned and ill equipped to take the Mocha Frigate until his two prize ships and crews arrived, so he decided not to molest Culliford until these reinforcements came. After the Adventure Prize and Rouparelle came in, Kidd ordered his crew to attack Culliford’s Mocha Frigate. However, his crew, despite their previous eagerness to seize any available prize, refused to attack Culliford and threatened instead to shoot Kidd. Zacks does not refer to any source for his version of events.

Both accounts agree that most of Kidd’s men now abandoned him for Culliford. Only 13 remained with the Adventure Galley. Deciding to return home, Kidd left the Adventure Galley behind, ordering her to be burnt because she had become worm-eaten and leaky. By burning the ship, he was able to salvage every last scrap of metal, for example hinges. With the loyal remnant of his crew, he returned to the Caribbean aboard the Adventure Prize.

Prior to Kidd returning to New York City, he learned that he was a wanted pirate, and that several English men-of-war were searching for him. Realizing that the Adventure Prize was a marked vessel, he cached it in the Caribbean Sea and continued toward New York aboard a sloop. He is alleged to have deposited some of his treasure on Gardiners Island, hoping to use his knowledge of its location as a bargaining tool.

Bellomont (an investor) was away in Boston, Massachusetts. Aware of the accusations against Kidd, Bellomont was justifiably afraid of being implicated in piracy himself, and knew that presenting Kidd to England in chains was his best chance to save his own neck. He lured Kidd into Boston with false promises of clemency, then ordered him arrested on July 6, 1699. Kidd was placed in Stone Prison, spending most of the time in solitary confinement. His wife, Sarah, was also imprisoned. The conditions of Kidd’s imprisonment were extremely harsh, and appear to have driven him at least temporarily insane.

He was eventually (after over a year) sent to England for questioning by Parliament. The new Tory ministry hoped to use Kidd as a tool to discredit the Whigs who had backed him, but Kidd refused to name names, naively confident his patrons would reward his loyalty by interceding on his behalf. Finding Kidd politically useless, the Tory leaders sent him to stand trial before the High Court of Admiralty in London for the charges of piracy on high seas and the murder of William Moore. Whilst awaiting trial, Kidd was confined in the infamous Newgate Prison and wrote several letters to King William requesting clemency.

Kidd had two lawyers to assist in his defense, Dr. Oldish and Mr. Lemon.  He was shocked to learn at his trial that he was charged with murder. He was found guilty on all charges (murder and five counts of piracy).

Hanging of William Kidd

23 May 1701 – He was hanged at ‘Execution Dock’, Wapping, in London. During the execution, the hangman’s rope broke and Kidd was hanged on the second attempt. His body was gibbeted—left to hang in an iron cage over the River Thames at Tilbury Point—as a warning to future would-be pirates for twenty years.   His associates Richard Barleycorn, Robert Lamley, William Jenkins, Gabriel Loffe, Able Owens, and Hugh Parrot were convicted, but pardoned just prior to hanging at Execution Dock.

Kidd’s Whig backers were embarrassed by his trial. Far from rewarding his loyalty, they participated in the effort to convict him by depriving him of the money and information which might have provided him with some legal defense. In particular, the two sets of French passes he had kept were missing at his trial. These passes (and others dated 1700) resurfaced in the early twentieth century, misfiled with other government papers in a London building. These passes call the extent of Kidd’s guilt into question. Along with the papers, many goods were brought from the ships and soon auctioned off as “pirate plunder.” They were never mentioned in the trial. Nevertheless, none of these items would have prevented his conviction for murdering Moore.

A broadside song Captain Kid’s Farewel to the Seas, or, the Famous Pirate’s Lament was printed shortly after his execution and popularized the common belief that Kidd had confessed guilty to the false charges.

Howard Pyle’s fanciful painting of Kidd burying treasure

The belief that Kidd had left a buried treasure contributed considerably to the growth of his legend. The 1701 broadside song Captain Kid’s Farewel to the Seas, or, the Famous Pirate’s Lament  lists “Two hundred bars of gold, and rix dollars manifold, we seized uncontrolled”. This belief made its contributions to literature in Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Gold-Bug”, Washington Irving’s The Devil and Tom Walker , Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island and Nelson DeMille’s Plum Island. It also gave impetus to the never-ending treasure hunts conducted on Oak Island in Nova Scotia, in Suffolk County, Long Island in New York where Gardiner’s Island is located, Charles Island in Milford, Connecticut; the Thimble Islands in Connecticut and on the island of Grand Manan in the Bay of Fundy.

Captain Kidd did bury a small cache of treasure on Gardiners Island in a spot known as Cherry Tree Field; however, it was removed by Governor Bellomont and sent to England to be used as evidence against him.

Kidd also visited Block Island around 1699, where he was supplied by Mrs. Mercy (Sands) Raymond, daughter of the mariner James Sands. The story has it that, for her hospitality, Mrs. Raymond was bid to hold out her apron, into which Kidd threw gold and jewels until it was full. After her husband Joshua Raymond died, Mercy moved with her family to northern New London, Connecticut (later Montville), where she bought much land. The Raymond family was thus said to have been “enriched by the apron”

1 Nov  1732 – Witnesses, Abraham Van Wyck, Benjamin Hildreth, Christopher Roberts. Although Sarah also had two daughters by William Cox, they are not named in her will of 1732.

26 Aug 1743 – Codicil,  My daughter Sarah Latham having died, her share is to go to her children.

12 Sep 1744 – Proved – Witnesses, Mansfield Tucker, James Johnson. The oldest son Christopher was then dead.

In the name of God, Amen. I, SARAH ROUSBY, of New York, widow of Christopher Rousby, late of New Jersey, deceased, being in good health and perfect mind. “The funeralls of my body are to be only such as shall become a Christian.” After the payment of all debts and funeral charges, I leave all the rest of my estate to my five children, Christopher Rousby, Henry Rousby, Sarah, widow of Joseph Latham, William Rousby, and Elizabeth wife of John Troup, Jr. My eldest son Christopher shall have my wedding ring. I make my eldest son Christopher, and my son-in-law John Troup, executors. My houses and lands are to be sold by my executors..

6. George Bradley

George’s wife Hannah Braman was born 2 Sep 1690 in Norton, Bristol, Mass. Her parents were Thomas Braman (1654 – 1709) and Hannah Fisher (1666 – 1714). Hannah died 15 Apr 1778


The Pirate Hunter: The True Story of Captain Kidd By Richard Zacks

This entry was posted in 11th Generation, Artistic Representation, Historical Site, Immigrant - England, Line - Shaw, Sea Captain, Storied and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Samuell Broadley

  1. Pingback: Danyell Broadley de West Morton | Miner Descent

  2. Pingback: Henry Bradley | Miner Descent

  3. Pingback: Captains | Miner Descent

  4. Pingback: Origins | Miner Descent

  5. Pingback: Favorite Posts | Miner Descent

  6. Penny Fox says:


    I wondered if you knew of Jonas Bradley (1769 – 1857) who lived in Shipley, Yorkshire, England, and whether he was from the same family as your Bradleys. I am constructing a very simple family tree and Jonas is the oldest Bradley I have found so far. He married Hannah Burnley and they had seven children.

    Best wishes,

    Penny Fox

    • markeminer says:

      Hi Penney,

      The progenitor of my Bradley line in America was Danyell Broadley de West Morton. He baptized on 26 Jan 1588/89 in Bingley, Yorkshire, England.

      Your first Bradley came over a couple of hundred of years older so they may be cousins five or six times removed,

      Cheers! Mark

  7. Pingback: Artistic Works and Representation | Miner Descent

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s