Albert Andriessen Bradt

Albert Andriessen BRADT (1607 – 1686) was one of the earliest Norwegian settlers in New Netherland.   Alex’s 10th Grandfather; one of 2,048 in this generation of the Shaw line.

Albert Andriese Bradt was born 26 August 1607 in Fredrikstad, Smaalenenes (now in Østfold, Norway)  a town at the mouth of the Glommen, the largest river in Norway. Fredrikstad was a brand new city when Albert was born.  After Sarpsborg was burned to the ground during the Northern Seven Years’ War, the ruling king, King Frederik II, of Denmark, decided by to rebuild the city 15 kilometers south of the original location. The name Fredrikstad was first used in a letter from the King dated 6 February 1569. The temporary fortification built during the Hannibal War (1644–1645)  became permanent in the 1660s.

In the early records he is often called Albert de Noorman (the Norwegian). After 1670 he became known as Albert Andriesz Bradt. His parents were Andries Arentse BRADT and Aeffi Eva Pieterse KINETIS.  Whether he was related to the Bratts of Norwegian nobility, can not be ascertained. The Bratt family lived in Bergen, Norway, before the early part of the fifteenth century, when it moved to the northern part of Gudbrandsdalen. It had a coat of arms until about the middle of the sixteenth century. Since that time the Bratts belong to the Norwegian peasantry. They have a number of large farms in Gudbrandsdalen, Hedemarken, Toten, and Land.

He was listed as a 24 year old sailor when he married Annatje Barentse VAN ROTMERS on 11 Apr 1632 at the Oude Kerke, Amsterdam, Netherlands.  They emigrated on the Arms of Rensselaerswyck which had a particularly long voyage, beginning at Amsterdam 25 Sep 1636,  sailing from Texel on 8 Oct 1636, and not arriving in Rensselaerwyck (Albany NY) until 7 Apr 1637.  After Annatje  died, he married Pieterje Jans. Pieterje died in 1667 and he married third Geertruy Pieterse Coeymans.  Albert died 7 Jun 1686 near Albany, NY.

Albert was born in Østfold County, Norway

Annatje Barentse Van Rotmers was born in 1608 Oudenbroek.   Oudenbroek may now be that place called Altenbruch, Niedersachsen, Germany.  Her parents were Barent VAN ROTTMER and Gissel (Geesie) BARENTSDR (Baerens). Annatja died 1661 in Albany, NY.

Geertruyt Pieterse Coeymans was the  widow of Abraham Pietersen Vosburgh.  Her marriage with Albert Bradt was  unhappy. She filed a court petition for separation and alimony on 13 Janurary 1669 and after a long court battle they were legally separated “because of strife and differences that hath arisen between them” on 24 October 1670 and she received annual alimony of 80 schepels in apples and beavers.  Geertruty died in 1695.

Children of Albert and Annatje:

Name Born Married Departed
1. Eva Albertsen Bradt bapt
9 Jan 1633
Ev. Lutheran Church in Amsterdam
Anthony de Hooges
20 Oct 1647
Albany, NY
Roeloff Swartout
13 Aug 1657
Albany, Albany, New York
1689 Hurley, NY
2. Barent Albertse Bradt bapt 22 Oct 1634
Ev. Lutheran Church in Amsterdam
Susanna Dirkse Mayer
Albany, NY
3. Storm Van Der ZEE 2 Nov 1636 at Sea lattitude 41 degrees 50 minutes on the Arms of Rensslaerswyck Hilletje LANSING May 1679 Albany, NY.
4. Engeltje Bradt c. 1637
Albany, NY
Teunis Slingerlandt
c. 1674
5. Geseltje Bradt c. 1640
Albany, NY
Jan van Eschelen
6. Andries Albertse Bradt c. 1642
Albany, NY
Neeltje [__?__]
Cornelia Teunisse van Wie (Vervay)
3 Jun 1662
Albany, NY
New York
7. Jan Albertse Bradt c. 1648 Maria Post
c. 1674
Greene Co., NY
8. Dirck Albertse Bradt c. 1650 Unmarried 1698

The name of Albert Andriessen occurs for the first time in a document bearing the date August 26, 1636, an agreement between him and  millwright Pieter Cornelisen and carpenter Claes Jansen  on the one hand, and the patroon of the colony of Rensselaerswyck, Kiliaen van Rensselaer, on the other to build and operate a saw mill. The agreement was made and signed in Amsterdam. It states that Andriessen was a tobacco planter. He may have learnt the cultivating of tobacco in Holland, where tobacco was raised as early as 1616.

In the name of the Lord, Amen. On conditions hereafter specified, we, Pieter Cornelissen van munnickendam, millwright, 43 years of age, Claesz jans van naerden, 33 years of age, house carpenter, and albert andriessen van fredrickstadt, 29 years of age, tobacco planter, have agreed among ourselves, first, to sail in God’s name to New Netherland in the small vessel which now lies ready and to betake ourselves to the colony of Rensselaerswyck for the purpose of settling there on the following conditions made with Mr. Kiliaen Van Rensselaer, as patroon of the said colony, etc”Thus done and passed, in good faith, under pledge of our persons and property subject to all courts and justices for the fulfillment of what is aforewritten, at Amsterdam, this 26th of August [1636].

‘In witness whereof we have signed these with our own hands in the presence of the undersigned notary public . .

“Kiliaen Van Rensselaer
“Pieter Cornelissen
“albert and riessen . . -. “Claes jansen.
“J. Vande Ven, Notary.”

Bradt’s Sawmill – Tawasentha was the site of a powerful waterfall where Albert Andriesen Bradt operated saw mills. It became known as Norman Kil after Albert Andriesen Bradt “de Noorman”. Albert Andriesen Bradt worked a farm and these two saw mills at Bushwyck a few miles south of Albany on land he leased from Van Rensselaer and there is a record that he paid f250 annual rent 04 May 1652-04 May 1672.

Most of the settlers who came to Rensselaerswyck in 1637 came on the vessel of the same name. Additionally a handful of settlers who first appeared in accounts of the colony are described as probably passengers on the vessel. The log of the voyage of the Rensselaerswyck was translated by Van Laer and included in The Van Rensselaer Bowier Manuscripts. The journey was an unusually long one, beginning at Amsterdam 25 Sep 1636 It sailed from Texel on 8 Oct 1636, not arriving in Rensselaerwyck (Albany NY) until 7 Apr 1637.

Difficult weather was invariably the culprit. When not beset by severe storms, still, calm, windless days made the ship drift for days at a time. For 17 days the ship was off course and near the coast of Spain when the captain at last decided they must head back because of limited supplies of food and because more and more people were growing ill daily. His goal was the south coast of England. There, at Ilfracombe, on 8 Dec, Cornelis Thomasz was stabbed by his helper, Hans van Sevenhuysen. Thonasz died the following day – a Tuesday – and the captain noted in his log how all the people in this neighborhood went to pray on account of the severe sickness which God is sending them.

The Rensselaerswyck at last arrived at Manhattan on Wednesday, 4 Mar, but could not travel to Fort Orange because the Hudson River was still closed by ice. On Sunday, the 8th, two children born on board the vessel were baptised at the Manhattan church. On Sunday, the 22nd, the widow of the murdered Cornelis Thomasz, a smith, married Arent Steffeniers. Finally on March 26th, the vessel left for Fort Orange and arrived there Tuesday, April 7th. Since some of the passengers are first listed in accounts of April 3rd, these men evidently traveled to Fort Orange via yacht. The Rensselaerswyck left Fort Orange on 29 May.

Andriessen and his partners were to operate a mill. But not long after his arrival he took the liberty of dissolving partnership and established himself as a tobacco planter. After about a year he and his brother began growing tobacco for the patroon and participating in the fur trade.  Van Renssselaer had sent greetings to him in a letter dated September 21, 1637, (addressed to the partner of Andriessen, Pieter Cornelisz, master millwright) but in a subsequent letter, of May 8, 1638, to Cornelisz he wrote: “Albert Andriessen separated from you, I hear that he is a strange character, and it is therefore no wonder that he could not get along with you.”

Nevertheless, Van Rensselaer entertained the hope that Albert Andriessen would succeed as a tobacco planter. On December 29, 1637, he wrote to Director William Kieft that he should assign some of the young men on board the “Calmar Sleutel”, commanded by Pieter Minuit and sailing in the same month, to tobacco planting with Aiidriessen “if he has good success,” otherwise they were to serve with the farmers.

These young men were inexperienced, it seems. One, Elbert Elbertz, from Nieukerck, eighteen years old, was a weaver; Claes Jansen, from the same place, seventeen years old, was a tailor; Gerrit Hendricksz, also from the same place, fifteen year old, was a shoemaker. Gerrit must have served Andriessen for a term of at least three years; for his first three years’ wages, from April 2, 1638 to April 2, 1641, are charged to Andriessen.

In a letter of May 10, 1638, Van Rensselaer advised Andriessen that he had duly received his letter stating that the tobacco looked fine. But he was desirous to get full particulars as to how the crop had turned out, and to get a sample of the tobacco. He expressed dissatisfaction at Andriessen having separated from Pieter Cornelisz, and liked to know the cause of his dispute with the officer and commis Jacob Albertsz Planck and his son. He informed Andriessen that he was obliged to uphold his officers. and promised him to stand by him and cause him to be “provided with everything.” But he would not suffer bad behavior. He also informed him that it was apparent from the news he had received from several people that he was “very unmerciful to his children and very cruel” to his wife; he was to avoid this “and in all things have the fear of the Lord” before his eyes and not follow so much his own inclinations. But there was also another matter for which Van Rensselaer censured him: he had traded beaver furs with Dirck Corszen Stam contrary to contract, defrauded and cheated him. For seven pieces of duffel he had given him only the value of twenty-five merchantable beavers.

Van Rensselaer also addressed a letter, of the same date, to Jacob Albertsz Planck informing him that he had written to Andriessen that he should have more respect for the officers. Planck was instructed to notify Andriessen and all others living in the colony not to engage in “such detrimental fur trade,” for he did not care to suffer in his colony those who had their eyes mainly on the fur trade.’

Notwithstanding, it was Dirck Corszen that was an unfaithful supercargo. And Van Rensselaer requested, in a letter of May 13, 1639, of Andriessen, that he should write him the truth of the matter and pay him what he still owed Corszen. If he saw that Andriessen acted honestly herein, he would do all in his power to help him. Andriessen should go to the superintendent of the colony, Arent van Curler, and purchase necessaries for himself and his own people at an advance in price of 50 per cent. He should get merchandise for the Indian trade at an advance of 75 per cent. In return he was to furnish Van Curler with skins at such a price that he could make something on the transaction.

Van Rensselaer also informed Andriessen that he would try to sell his tobacco at the highest price and furthermore give him 25 per cent more than his half of the net proceeds would amount to. He would moreover grant him 25 per cent discount on the grain which he bought. In fact, Van Rensselaer’s confidence in Andriessen seemed to be increasing. For he not only acknowledged that he had received several letters from him, but also wished to say to his credit that he had received returns from no one. but him. He complained, however, of the tobacco which had been sent to him in barrels. It was a great loss to both that the “tobacco was so poor and thin of leaf that it could not stand being rolled.” This. he thought, was likely due to Andriessen having left too many leaves on the plants. But not this alone: the weight was short. One barrel, put down at 292 lbs., weighed but 220 lbs. This was perhaps due to deception on the part of a certain Herman, a furrier. But anything like this should be avoided in the future. The tobacco amounted to 1,156 pounds net, which was sold for 8 st. (16 cents) a pound. Had it not been so bad and wretched, it could have been sold for twenty cents a pound. A higher price could be obtained if Andriessen would be more careful in the future and leave fewer leaves on the plants. He should try to grow “good stuff”, for the tobacco from St. Christopher, an island in the West Indies, was so plentiful in Netherland that it brought but 3 stivers a pound. Andriessen should also each year make out a complete account of all expenses and receipts from tobacco, so Van Rensselaer could see whether any progress was made.

But Andriessen was a poor accountant. Neither Van Rensselaer nor his nephew, the former Director Van Twiller, could understand his accounts.  Van Rensselaer therefore gave him directions to follow in making his entries and statements, claimingthat any other procedure would “leave everything confused and mixed up.” He complained that Andriessen laid certain transactions before the patroon, which should be laid before the commis. He expressed the sentiment that Andriessen was making him his servant when he wrote to him “about soap and other things.” He also complained that Andriessen caused great loss by making him hold the tobacco too high: it was safest to follow the market price in Netherland. Finally he censured him for buying unwisely – he had paid f. 200 for a heifer, “which is much too high.” is The patroon and Andriessen had several disagreements.

Albert, with his brother Arent Andriessen, sent to the patroon sometime in 1642, 4,484 lbs. of tobacco. It was sold on an average of eight and one half st. a lb. Deducting 270 lbs. for stems, the net weight brought a sum of f. 1790:19. But the duty, freight charges, and convoy charges amounted to f. 629:15. The patroon said he would deduct only half of this if Andriessen compensated him according to his ordinance for his land on which the tobacco grew. But as long as he was in dispute with him he would deduct the whole sum. Andriessen did not suffer. Van Rensselaer complained in letter of March 16, 1643, to Arent van Curler that he did not know what privilege Albert Andriessen had received, since “his cows are not mentioned in the inventory sent him.” He stated he would not want any one, no matter who he was, to own any animals which were not subject to the right of preemption. Therefore, Curler should include Andriessen’s animals in the inventory, or make him leave the colony and pay for pasturing and hay during the past year.

In September 5, 1643, the patroon stipulated the following with respect to Andriessen, whose term had long before expired without his having obtained a new lease or contract.

He “shall . . . be continued for the present but shall not own live stock otherwise than according to the general rule of one half of the increase belonging to the patroon and of the right of preemption and, in case he does not accept this, his cattle shall immediately be sent back to the place whence they came, with the understanding, however, that half of the increase bred in the colony shall go to the patroon in consideration of the pasturage and hay which they have used; and as to his accounts he shall also be obliged to close, liquidate and settle the same; and as far as the conditions after the expiration of his lease are concerned, the patroon adopts for him as well as for all others this fixed rule, of which they must all be notified and if they do not wish to continue under it must immediately leave the colony, namely, that every freeman who has a house and garden of his own shall pay an annual rent of 5 stivers per Rhineland rod and for land used in raising tobacco, wheat or other fruits 20 guilders per Rhineland morgen, newly cleared land to be free for a number of years, more or less, according to the amount of labor required in such clearing.

Andriessen not only cultivated tobacco. He operated “two large sawmills,” run by a “powerful waterfall,” worth as much as f. 1000 annual rent, but the patroon let him have them for f. 250 annual rent. 17 From May 4, 1652, to May 4, 1672, Andriessen is charged with the annual rent for these two mills and the land on Norman’s Kill.

Tawasentha was the site of a powerful waterfall where Albert Andriesen Bradt operated saw mills. It became known as Norman Kil after Albert Andriesen Bradt “de Noorman”. Albert Andriesen Bradt worked a farm and these two saw mills at Bushwyck a few miles south of Albany on land he leased from Van Rensselaer and there is a record that he paid f250 annual rent 04 May 1652 – 04 May 1672.

Originally this Kill was called Tawasentha, meaning a place of the many dead. The Dutch appelative of Norman’s Kill is derived from Andriessen.  The Vale of Tawasentha, referred to in Longfellow’s The Song of Hiawatha, is now named Normans Kill after Albert Andriese Bradt. The Dutch word Norman means Norseman after Albert’s Norwegian origin. The Dutch word “kill” means creek.  Normans Kill is the first tributary of the Hudson River south of the city of Albany.

From the Vale of Tawasentha,
From the Valley of Wyoming,
From the groves of Tuscaloosa,
From the far-off Rocky Mountains,
From the Northern lakes and rivers
All the tribes beheld the signal,
Saw the distant smoke ascending,
The Pukwana of the Peace-Pipe. …

“In the Vale of Tawasentha,
In the green and silent valley,
By the pleasant water-courses,
Dwelt the singer Nawadaha.
Round about the Indian village
Spread the meadows and the corn-fields,
And beyond them stood the forest,
Stood the groves of singing pine-trees,
Green in Summer, white in Winter,
Every sighing, ever singing.

“And the pleasant water-courses,
You could trace them through the valley,
By the rushing in the Spring-time,
By the alders in the Summer,
By the white fog in the Autumn,
By the black line in the Winter;
And beside them dwelt the singer,
In the Vale of Tawasentha,
In the green and silent valley.

“There he sang of Hiawatha,
Sang the Song of Hiawatha,
Sang his wondrous birth and being,
How he prayed and how he fasted,
How he lived, and toiled, and suffered,
That the tribes of men might prosper,
That he might advance his people!”

Ye who love the haunts of Nature,
Love the sunshine of the meadow,
Love the shadow of the forest,
Love the wind among the branches,
And the rain-shower and the snow-storm
And the rushing of great rivers
Through their palisades of pine-trees,
And the thunder in the mountains,
Whose innumerable echoes
Flap like eagles in their eyries;–
Listen to these wild traditions,
To this Song of Hiawatha!

Ye who love a nation’s legends,
Love the ballads of a people,
That like voices from afar off
Call to us to pause and listen,
Speak in tones so plain and childlike,
Scarcely can the ear distinguish
Whether they are sung or spoken; —
Listen to this Indian Legend,
To this Song of Hiawatha!

Normans Kill Creek

Whether known as Petanock, Tawasentha, Godyn’s Kil or Norman’s Kill (Norwegian’s Creek in Dutch), this meandering stream figures prominently in Bethlehem history. Though patroon Kiliaen van Rensselaer contracted earlier to have mills built where the lower falls meet the Hudson, the first permanent settler on the mainland was Albert Andriesen (Bratt after 1670) of Norway. Albert came in 1637 and lived 49 years conducting a tobacco farm and mills along its shores. His neighbors were farmer and miller Pieter WINNE I (de Vlamingh, the Fleming) and fur trader Teunis C. Slingerland. Scot Archibald McCormack bought land in 1787 on both sides of the Normans Kill that reached to McCormack Road. The road’s hollow, where it drops down to the creek, was for a time called “Molasses Hollow” for the molasses that once spilled here. Barrels of the stuff rolled off a tipped over cart and broke on the way down the hill. People scurried to capture the precious sweetener in any way they could.

The Normans Kill forms the northern border of the town. The Normanside Country Club covers a fair length of a creek and offers a glimpse of its once pastoral nature. In May of 2000 a landslide along its slippery clay slopes carried a produce stand down with it and prompted a major reshaping of the Delaware Avenue overpass area.

Normansville was originally called Upper Hollow for the deep ravine carved by the Normans Kill that the unincorporated village sits in.

In New Amsterdam he had acquired a house and lot from Hendrick Kip, August 29, 1651. It lay northeast of fort Amsterdam.” Under date of October 5, 1655, we find that he was taxed fl. 20 for this house and lot.

In May, 1655, before the court of the Burgomasters and Schepens in New Amsterdam, Roeloff Jansen, a butcher, appeared and made a complaint against Christiaen Barentsen, attorney for Andriessen. Jansen had leased a house and some land belonging to Andriessen who was to give him some cows. But the house was not tight” and “not enclosed,” and the cows were missing. might still suffer. The defendant, as attorney for Andriessen, replied that it was not his fault that the demand had not been complied with according to the contract. He requested time to write to his principal about it. The Court granted him a month’s time in which to do this. In due time, however, the court ruled that Andriessen should make the necessary repairs.

He had a reputation for a violent temper and cruelty to family members and quarrelsomeness with others. He was censured in a 10 May 1638 letter from Van Rensselaer for being “very unmerciful to his children and very cruel to his wife” and he was told to avoid this behavior.

On 15 May 1658 Albert Andriesen Bradt and Wilem Martensen Hues advertised to sell to the highest bidder their “sloop as it rides at anchor and sails” (as is). Willem Martensen Hues was the highest bidder.

After wife Annetje Barentse Van Rotmers died in 1661, widower Albert Andriesen Bradt sold the New Amsterdam property and lived at Norman’s Kill. He created a document dated 03 June 1662 whereby he paid all of his children for their shares in all of their mother’s estate: Eva (Roeloff) Swartwout, Barent Albertsen, Storm Albertsen, Engeltje (Teunis) Slingerlandt, Gisseltje (Jan) Van Echelen, Andreis Albertsen (minor), Jan Albertsen (minor), and Dirck Albertsen (minor).

Albert Andriesen Bradt married second Pieterje Janse, widow of Albert Andriesen Bradt’s deceased partner in a sawmill venture, and she died in 1667. Albert Andriesen Brandt married third Geertruyt Pieterse Coeymans, widow of Abraham Pietersen Vosburgh, in 1668 and this marriage was unhappy. She filed a court petition for separation and alimony on 13 Janurary 1669 and after a long court battle they were legally separated “because of strife and differences that hath arisen between them” on 24 October 1670 and she received annual alimony of 80 schepels in apples and beavers. In 1672 Albert Andriesen Bradt turned the saw mills over to son Barent Albertsen Bradt. In his old age, Albert Andriesen Bradt’s behavior became even worse and his children were ordered to deal with him. Albert Andriesen Bradt lived his last few years with unmarried son Dirck Albertsen Bradt in Albany, NY.


1. Eva Albertsen Bradt

Eva’s first husband Anthony de Hooges was baptized 14 Dec 1620 in the Nieuwkerk (New Church), Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands.  His parents were Johannes de Hooges and Maria Tijron. A shareholder and bookkeeper in the Dutch West Indies Company at Amsterdam named Johannes de Hooges may have been his father.  Anthony died 11 Oct 1655 in Albany, Albany, New York.

Eva’s second husband Roeloff Swartwout was born 1 Jun 1634 in Amsterdam, Holland. His parents were Thomas Swartwout and Hendrickjen Otsen. Roeloff became the Sheriff of the Esopus in 1660. Eva must have died before 22 Nov 1691 because Roeloff is found remarrying in Bergen, New Jersey then.  Roeloff died 30 Mar 1714 in Hurley, Ulster, New York.

In 1641 when Anthony de Hooges entered the employ of Rensselaerwyck, sailing on den Coninck David, the skipper being commanded to allow him to eat and sleep in the cabin. He brought letters of introduction to William Kieft, Director-General, and also to Arent van Curler to whom he was sent as an assistant. He later became the Secretary of the Colony. Kiliaen Van Rensselaer, the patron, seems to have had a great deal of concern and respect for Anthony.

He kept a journal of his long voyage for the patron. It begins:

” In the year of our Lord 1641, the 30th of July, I commenced this journal in the name of the Lord. May the Lord conduct us to the place of our destination in order that on our arrival we may offer to the Lord the offering of our lips to His honor and our salvation. Amen.”

They had an unusually stormy passage. He closes his journal saying:

“At daybreak we ran to the sand point (Sandy Hook) and we rounded it too close. We got aground on a reef which had formed there within a year. After two hours we got afloat again. God be praised we suffered no damage and with good speed passed between the Hoofden (the headlands at the sides of the Narrows) and in the afternoon came to qanchor at the Manhatens, in front of Smits Vly (on the East River). Thus the Lord delivered us at last, after much adversity, for which He be praised forever, Amen. The next day a dead horse overboard.

“Journal of Anthony de Hooges, of his voyage to New Netherland beginning 30 July ending 29 November 1641.”

One year later Kiliaen van Rensselaer writes him that the journal had been received and had given him great satisfaction. The letter is filled with advice and van Rensselaer evidently felt a great interest in him. “In the beginning,” he writes, “hear and see, notice and learn, obey and make yourself agreeable and liked; in that way you will be able to accomplish much.” That he considers his counsel worth seeking was shown by a letter to Domine Megapolensis urging him “to confer sometimes with de Hooges and extract the quintessence of his discourse.”

Van Curler, De Hooges’ superior officer, was somewhat dissipated and, going from bad to worse, all his papers were turned over to de Hooges. Then van Rensselaer writes again to Domine Megapolensis: “Every effort ought to be made to stop the excessive drinking and now that there is a public brewer (Evert PELS) I hope that private brewing will cease. I hope that Anthony de Hooges will conduct himself well. What I fear most for him is that he may become strongly addicted to drink against which he must be strongly warned. His sweetheart here in the Netherlands, Anneken Sporom, married at Campen so that he need not wait for her any longer. I have sometimes thought that his thoughts were too much concentrated on her and that he liked the country less on that account. You may tell him this when there is an opportunity or have someone else tell him in order that he may be at ease…Let him behave well and have patience and he will be advanced in due time.”

That he stood high in the opinion of van Rensselaer a letter to van Curler shows for he told the latter “not to lightly reject the advice of Hooges although he is younger than you and so experienced. I consider him an upright young man. March 18, 1643, the patron writes to de Hooges:”I have your letters of the first of March and the 23th of August of last year, 1642…I have recommended you well, as you will learn from de Megapolensis, but I must admonish you to be righteous and faithful and especially to guard yourself drunkenness and lewd women. There are many rumors current about the first, but you can best test the matter yourself; heed the faithful admonitions of your pastor, de Megapolensis, and do not follow the footsteps of those who may be guilty thereof, but fear the Lord; do right and fear no one. You will do well to keep and send me a daily journal, giving a truthful account of affairs, for I have no use for things that are not true…I hope that you will have more and more satisfaction; all new things are difficult but matters will turn out to your advantage if you conduct yourself well. I must thank you for communicating to me the text of the first sermon of de Megapolensis; no other foundation can and ought to be laid. Vale.”

The position of De Hooges was a responsible one. He was commissioner and administrator of goods suitable for merchandise and was to pay the laborers. We find him leasing farms and making contracts for buildings. From the departure of van Curler for Holland October 1, 1646 until the arrival of Brant Aertz van Slichtenhorst March 22, 1648, he was entrusted with the business management of the colony. In a petition for the payment of his salary he states that he must have a house built for him.

“A certain fish of considerable size, snow-white in color, round in the body, and blowing water out of its head,” made at the same time his appearance, March stemming the impetuous flood. What it portended, “God the Lord only knew.” All the inhabitants were lost in wonder, for ” at the same instant that this fish appeared to us, we had the first thunder and lightning this year.” The public astonishment had scarcely subsided, when another monster of the deep, estimated at forty feet in length, was seen, of a brown color, having fins on his back, and ejecting water in like manner, high in the air. Some seafaring people, “who had been to Greenland,” now pronounced the strange visitor a whale. Intelligence was shortly after received that it had grounded on an island at the mouth of the Mohawk, and the people turned out in numbers to secure the prize, which was, forthwith, subjected to the process of roasting, in order to extract its oil. Though large quantities were obtained, yet so great was the mass of blubber, the river was covered with grease for three weeks afterwards, and the air infected to such a degree with the stench, as the fish lay rotting on the strand, that the smell was perceptibly offensive for two (Dutch) miles to leeward. The whale, which had first ascended the river, stranded, on its return to sea, on an island some forty miles from the mouth of the river, near which place four others grounded, also, this year.

…These particulars are taken from an old book kept by Antonie de Hooges, Secretary of Rensselaerswyck, endorsed, “Copye van eenige acten ende andere aenmerckelycke notitien,” and from Van der Donck’s Beschryv. van N. N. The island at the mouth of the Mohawk goes since by the name of Walvisch, or Whale Island. De Hooges refers to the visit of a similar large fish ” many years ago,” which caused great wonder at the time, but he does not mention the year, nor furnish any further particulars of the circumstance.

On 13 August 1657 at Fort Orange, in the marriage agreement between Roelof Swartwout and Eva Albertsen Bradt, widow of Anthonie de Hooges, the bride serves for each of her children with her former husband, Marichen, Anneken, Catrina, Johanis and Eleanora de Hooges, one hundred guilden each. Roelof Swartwout and his bride moved to Esopus in Ulster County, New York, where he was the first sheriff.

See Peer Jan HENDRICKS’ page for details about the Esopus raid on Wiltwyck (Kingston), June, 1663 and Roelof’s June 20, 1663 letter from The Court at Wildwyck to the Council of New Netherland describing the massacre.

Marinus Schoonmaker, History of Kingston, New York(1888), p.489;
John O. Evjen,  Scandinavian Immigrants in New York (1916), pp.30-33.

“In the name of the Lord Amen, be it known by the contents of this present instrument, that in the year 1657, on the 13th day of the month of August, appeared before me Johannes La Montagne, in the service of the General Privileged West India Company, deputy at Fort Orange and village of Beverwyck, Roeloff Swartwout , in the presence of his father, tomas Swartwout , on the…, and Eva ALBERTSEN (BRATT), widow of the late Antony de Hooges, in the presence of Albert ANDRIESSEN (BRATT), her father of the other side, who in the following manner have covenanted this marriage contract, to wit, that for the honor of God the said Roeloff Swartwout and Eva Albertse after the manner of the Reformed religion respectively held by them shall marry; secondly, that the said married people shall contribute and bring together all their estates, personal and real, of whatsoever nature they may be, to be used by them in common, according to the custom of Holland, except that the bride, Eva Albertse, in presence of the orphanmasters, recently chosen, to wit, Honorable Jan VERBEECK and Evert WENDELS, reserves for her a hundred guilders, to wit, for Maricken, Anneken, Catrina, Johannes, and Eleanora de Hooges, for which sum of one hundred guilders for each child respectively (she) mortgages her house and lot, lying here in the village of Beverwyck; it was also covenanted, by these presents, by the mutual consent of the aforewritten married people, that Barent ALBERTSE (BRATT) and Teunis Slingerland, brother and brother-in-law of the said Eva Albertse, and uncle of said children, should be guardians of said children, to which the aforesaid orphanmasters have consented; which above written contract the respective parties promise to hold good, etc. — “Done in Fort Orange, ut supra in the presence of Pieter Jacobsen and Johannes Provost, witnesses, for that purpose called.
“Roeloff Swartwout , (x) Eva ALBERTSE, Thomas SWARTWOUT,
“Witnesses: Johanes Provoost, (+) Pieter Jacobsen
“Acknowledged before me, La Montagne, Deputy at Fort Orange.”

2. Barent Albertse Bradt

Barent’s wife Susanna Dirkse Mayer was born about 1634. Her parents were Dirck Dirckse and Maria Jans of Norway. Susanna died 8 May 1722 in Albany, New York.

Barent Albertse Bradt was born in Amsterdam, Holland and baptized in the Lutheran church there in October 1634.   He came to America with his parents in 1637.

Growing up on his father’s Rensselaerswyck farm, he learned the mechanics of farming, milling, and trading. Those skills enabled him to represent his father and then establish himself in the new village of Beverwyck. About that time, he married Susanna Dircks – the mother of his eight children. The marriage suffered from Barent’s intemperate behavior which led to several court appearances on battery and assault charges!

Barent derived his income from sawing – probably at his father’s Normanskill mill. At the same time, he sought to take part in the fur trade. He sought acceptance in now Albany by joining the Dutch church. However, he found trading difficult as his family was fined several times for illegal trading.

Instead, Barent Albertse found success in real estate – acquiring several parcels and using boards cut at the Bradt mill to build houses in Albany and outside the stockade. By 1682, he was living outside the north gate. In 1684, his Albany taxes were in arrears. Fives years later, he was listed among the farmers employed by Marte Gerritse but was assessed no money for defense. Raising a large family, he also was the guardian of a number of related children and a frequent baptism sponsor for family members and neighbors.

By the 1690s, he had become an Albany mainstay. He served on juries and as firemaster and roadmaster. In 1697, Barent, Susanna, and one child were living in his Market Street house just outside the north gate. Assessment rolls for ensuing years place him among the moderately wealthy Albany householders.

He also acquired lots at Halfmoon and Schaghticoke. Barent Albertse Bradt disappeared from Albany rolls after 1712. His four sons further established the Bradt name in Albany and its hinterland.

3. Storm Van Der ZEE (See his page)

4. Engeltje Bradt

Engeltje’s husband Teunis Cornelisse Slingerland was born 7 Apr 1617 in Amsterdam, Holland.  After Engeltje died, he married 9 Apr 1684 in Albany, Albany, New York to Geertie Fonda. Teunis died 5 Mar 1805 in Hackensack, Bergen, New Jersey.

He immigrated New Amsterdam, New Netherlands and settled on the Onisquethaw flats near Albany, New York, aka Beverwyck. Teunis and Engeltje had 8 children. Teunis and 2nd wife Geertie Fonda had one child, Johannes in 1685. He was named guardian of Eva Bradt’s children; Engeltje, Geeseltje, Andries, Jan, Dirck and Storm on 13th August 1657 in Albany New York. There appears to be seven years between the first child Engeltje and Arent. This is most unusual for this periond of time and indicates that either the birth dates are wrong or two or three children are missing.

In 1652 he purchases a tract of land lying east of the present Chapel Street and traversed, in part, by State Street, in Albany. In 1665, with his son-in-law Johannes Apple, he purchased 9874 acres from the Indians. The three chiefs who sold the land used sign manuals of “Bear”, “Wolf” and “Turtle”, the totems of the three tribes involved. This land lies east of the Helderberg Mountains and in the present towns of New Scotland and Bethlehem, and a NY. State Historical Marker may be found on NY. Route, just west of the village of Feura Bush, stating that this was the site of the “Slingerland house, built by Tunis Cornelise Slingerland, Dutch Emigrant, 1650, on land purchased from Indians.”. This land also includes the pretty village of Slingerlands on the Delaware and Hudson Railroad. This purchase was confirmed by Governor Thomas Dongan on 6 March 1684. Of this tract, Tunis Slingerland retained 2000 acres, the remainder going to the van Rensselaers. He was appointed commissary by Governor Dongan.” He moved to Hackensack, Bergen County, New Jersey in 1693. He died between 1701 and 1705 in Hackensack, Bergen County, New Jersey.

5. Geseltje Bradt

Geseltje’s first husband Jan van Eschelen was born 1633.  Jan died 23 Mar 1668 in Albany, NY.

Geseltje’s second husband Hendrick Willemsen was born 1633 in Reusel-de Mierden, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands. His parents were Daniel Hendrickson and Emma Van Guelder.  Hendrick died in 1677 in Albany, New York.

6. Andries Albertse Bradt

Andries’ first wife Neeltje [__?__]

Andries’ second wife Cornelia Teunisse van Wie (Vervay) was born 1640 in Albany, Albany, New York,

7. Jan Albertse Bradt

Jan’s wife Maria Post was  baptized 6 Jun 1649 in Recife, Pernambuco, Brazil.   Her parents were Adrian Crijnen Post and Claretje (Clara) Moocerks (Source: Doopregister Hollanders in Brazilie, 1633-1654.).  After Jan died, she married 26 Nov 1699 in Albany, Albany, New York to Eduwart Carbert.   Maria died Nov 1695 in Albany, New York.

Adriaen Crijnen Post married Claartje Moockers. They were possibly from the Hague, Netherlands (one of the children is listed in his marriage record as being from the Hague. The first known record of the Post family was when they lived for a while in West India Company’s colony in Recife, Brazil. After returning home to the Netherlands, the family sailed for the colony of New Netherland 30 June 1650 aboard the “New Netherland’s Fortune” and arrived on 19 December 1650.

As the representative of Baron Hendrick van der Capellen, Adriaen led a group in settling a successful colony on Staten Island.   Captain Post  had cultivated friendly relations with the Indians and familiarized himself with their language, an acquisition which was destined to be of much service to him at a most critical period in his career.

The colony was attacked and burned by Hackensack Indians on 15 Sep 1655 as a result of the Peach Tree War. Among the sixty-seven prisoners were Adriaen, Claartje, their five children (Adrian, Maria, Lysbeth, and two unknown children) , and two servants of the Post family.

Chief Penneckeck sent Adriaen to bargain with Peter Stuyvesant for the prisoners’ release that October. Adriaen traveled to and from Manhattan and the Natives’ base at Paulus Hook, New Jersey several times before a negotiation was made. Many of the prisoners, including Claartje and the children, were exchanged for ammunition, wampum, and blankets.

By van der Capellen’s orders, Adriaen and the other survivors returned to Staten Island to build a fort. He gathered the cattle that had survived the attack, butchering some and using others for milk, in an effort to feed his group. By the next spring, Adriaen was too ill to perform his duties. Claartje asked that someone else be appointed agent to van der Capellen and, in April, she petitioned Stuyvesant to keep soldiers on the island. Stuyvesant decided against it since there were so few people there.

When Van der Capellen heard of the great havoc made by the Indians in his colony, he instructed Captain Post to gather together the survivors and to erect a fort on the Island and also  to keep the people provisioned. This, however, was impracticable, as the Captain with his starving family during the ensuing winter were obliged tocamp out under the bleak sky without any protection or means of defense. The authorities recognized the insurmountable difficulties in the way of protecting the colony, and decided to withdraw the soldiers and abandon him to his fate unless he would remove with his people and his patron’s cattle to Long Island. (N.Y. Col. Doc.,XIII, 60-1.)

The creditors of Van der Capelle, seeing the desperate condition of the colony, he began to harass Post for the payment of the Baron’s debts, and suit was brought by Jacob Schellinger and others against him as agent for the Baron for payment of a note; and Janneke Melyn claimed as hers some of the few cattle still in Post’s possession.

The attempt at colonizing Staten Island by individual enterprise having failed, the Island was purchased by the West India Company, to whom nineteen persons presented a petition, August 22, 1661, for tracts of land on the south side, in order to establish a village, which was allowed by the Company, Captain Post being one of the grantees. (N.Y. Col. Docs.,XIII., 206) It is probable, however, that he did not avail himself of the grant, but removed to Bergen (now Jersey City, N.J.) about this time, if, indeed, he was not already a resident there. In 1662, he was one of petitioners to have a clergyman settled at Bergen, and promised to contribute twenty florins therefore yearly. (N.Y. Col Docs MSS XIII,,233.)

The family later moved to what is now Bergen, New Jersey, becoming some of the first settlers of the Acquackononk Tract. Adriaen remained active in public life. As an ensign in the Bergen Burgher Guard, he took an oath of allegiance on 22 November 1665. Philip Carteret, the governor of New Jersey, requested Adriaen as an interpreter in a meeting to purchase land from the sachem, Oraton, in May of 1666. Adriaen also served on jury at the Admiralty Court at Elizabethtown in May of 1671, was elected as a representative of Bergen to the New Jersey General Assembly on 7 June 1673, and became a Lieutenant in Bergen’s militia in 1675. Adriaen was buried 18 February 1677 in Bergen, Hudson, New Jersey.

8. Dirck Albertse Bradt

Dirck Albertse Bradt was born during the 1640s.  He grew up on his father’s farm and mill on the Normanskill and at Albert Andriesse’s house in Beverwyck/Albany.

He seems to not have married but was identified as a householder in Albany in 1679 and participated in real estate and other transactions with his father and other family members. In 1681, he joined with oher Albany burghers in petitioning the court regarding the Indian trade. In 1684, his Albany taxes were in arrears.

By the early 1680s, Dirck Albertse’s aging and irascible father came to live in his Albany home. Dirck Albertse occasionally appeared before the Albany court. But, following the death of his father in 1686, his life in the community’s record is best described as marginal.

Dirck Albertse Bradt died sometime after 1702 when he was elected constable for Canastigione.


This entry was posted in 12th Generation, Artistic Representation, Historical Monument, Immigrant - Continent, Line - Shaw, Place Names, Storied and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Albert Andriessen Bradt

  1. Pingback: Storm Albertse Van Der Zee (BRADT) | Miner Descent

  2. Pingback: Barent Van Rotmers | Miner Descent

  3. Pingback: Passages | Miner Descent

  4. Pingback: Origins | Miner Descent

  5. Pingback: Sea Captains | Miner Descent

  6. Pingback: Andries Arentse Bradt | Miner Descent

  7. Pingback: Peer Jan Hendricks | Miner Descent

  8. Pingback: Esopus Wars | Miner Descent

  9. Pingback: Second Esopus War | Miner Descent

  10. Barbara says:

    IS there any original source for birth/baptism 26 Aug. 1607 for Albert Andriess Bradt? I have not found any (church name, location, parents) Also there is no documentation for any mother name (Eva) Kinetis.

  11. Pingback: Artistic Works and Representation | Miner Descent

  12. Pingback: Artistic Works and Representation 2 | Miner Descent

  13. Barbara says:

    Maria Post born 1649 can not be mother to Susanna Dirks married by 1656.

    Susanna Dirks was dau of Dirk Dirkse (from Norway) (no original documentation for “Mayer”) and Maretje Jans ( from Norway Susanna rec. in 1656 as wife of Barent Albertsen)
    Jan Albertsen Bratt marr. by 1676 Maria of Adriaen Crinjn Post (no original documentation for Maria “Mookers” Post) born 1649.
    “Maria Post wid. Jan Bratt (marr.) Eduwart Carbert 12 Nov. 1699” (DRC Albany)

  14. Pingback: Indian Kidnaps | Miner Descent

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s