Capt. William CLARK Jr. (1685 -1753) was Alex’s 7th Great Grandfather; one of 256 in this generation of the Miller line
Capt. William Clark Jr. was born 5 Feb 1685 in Northampton, Mass. His parents were Capt. William CLARK Sr. and Hannah STRONG. He married Bethiah WILLIAMS on 5 Jan 1709/10 in Lebanon, CT. William died 28 Aug, 1753, in Lebanon, CT.
Children of William and Bethiah:
|1.||Hannah CLARK||1 Feb 1710/11||Benjamin NEWCOMB
|2 Jan 1797 Canning, Kings, Nova Scotia|
|2.||William Clark III||28 Oct 1712 Lebanon, CT||Lydia Lamb
3 Oct 1738
|3.||Bethiah Clark||27 Sep 1714 Lebanon, CT||Jonathan Lyman
2 Oct 1735 Lebanon, CT
|29 Jan 1805 Lebanon, CT|
|4.||Beulah Clark||24 Oct 1716
|10 Feb 1725/26 Lebanon, CT|
|5.||Phineas Clark||15 May 1718||Priscilla Case
5 Nov 1741
20 Jun 1751
|11 Apr 1808 Chaplin, Windham, CT|
|6.||Mary Clark||22 Jan 1717
9 Aug 1720 Lebanon, CT
7 Feb 1738 Lebanon, CT
10 Mar 1741 Tolland, CT
|4 Sep 1792
|7.||Jemima Clark||c. 1721
Enfield, Hartford, CT
|Capt. Isreal Jones
23 Sep 1744 Lebanon, CT
|3 Jun 1788 East Hartford, CT|
|8.||Martha Clark||2 Feb 1723/24 Lebanon, CT||Maj. Jethro Hatch
5 Nov 1747 Lebanon, CT
|15 Jul 1815 Kent, CT|
|9.||Submit Clark||19 Mar 1726||Samuel Throop
27 May 1747 Lebanon, CT
Lt. Simeon Hunt
|2 May 1808 Coventry, Tolland, CT|
|10.||Beulah Clark||20 Dec 1729||After father’s 1752 Will
Not able to “manage the affairs of the world as is common”
William was about 13 when his family moved to Lebanon, CT. He was a Selectman in 1725 and 1727 and represented the inhabitants of the northerly part of the First Society of Lebanon at the General Assembly on 3 Feb 1730.
In October 1730, the General Assembly of Connecticut commissioned William Captain of the North Company or trainband of Lebanon. In 1737, Capt. Clarke’s company of militia in Lebanon consisted of 92 men.
Capt. William Clarke was a Selectman in 1731, 1733, 1735 and 1736.
25 Jan 1732 – For £150, William sold to his brothers, Joseph and Gershom, 75 acres in the North Society at a place called Maple Swamp-part of the 150 acres farm which fell to me from our Honored father.
14 May 1745 – He sold to his son, William, for love and goodwill 1/2 of the farm, with buildings, which his father had given him and where he was living at the time. Two days later, for £500, he deeded to his son, Phineas, 130 acres with the buildings in Lebanon Village so-called, bounded on the S.W. by the highway from the village to the sawmill and S.E. by land of his brother, Timothy. These represent only a few of the land conveyances for Capt. William in Lebanon.
13 Aug 1752 – William left a will, fortunately naming his daughters by their married names. Proved 24 Sep 1753 in which he gave his wife, Bethiah, the use and improvement one half his farm and half his house, “namely the northeast end and the cellar” for the rest of her life and a third of his personal estate to be taken as she chose, except for his negro man. The negro man was given to his son, William, along with the rest of the farm and buildings and William was to pay the bequests to his sisters £35 to Hannah and £30 to each of the others. William bequested £150 to Beulah and son, William, was to care for her and was named executor. He left a personal estate of £331-5-11 and real estate of 70 acres with buildings valued at £210. William died 28 Aug 1753 in Lebanon, CT when he was 68 years.
Beulah received a special provision ” since God in his holy providence has not given to my daughter Beulah those powers and faculties to conduct herself and manage the affairs of the world as is common, 150 pounds and as much as needed for her comfortable support.” (Wyndham Probate Records, Vol.4, p388) So he had a slave as recently as 1753.
1. Hannah CLARK (See Benjamin NEWCOMB‘s page)
2. William Clark III
William’s wife Lydia Lamb was born 3 Apr 1713 in Oxford, Worcester, Mass. Her parents were Abiel Lamb (1679 – 1771) and Hannah Taylor (1679 – 1771). Lydia died in 1782.
William was a farmer at Lebanon, CT.
William Clark IV was a member of the Connecticut State Assembly for 4 years.
Children of William and Lydia
i. Deacon Joseph Clark b. 26 Nov 1739 in Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 22 Apr 1816 Northampton, Hampshire, Mass. Burial: Bridge Street Cemetery Northampton
ii. Lt. Col. William Clark b. 27 Mar 1742 in Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 11 Nov 1825 Naples, Ontario, New York; m. 1767 in CT to Miriam Bingham (b. 6 Apr 1749 in Lebanon, New London, CT- d. 13 Nov 1780 in Windsor1, Berkshire, Massa.) Miriam’s parents were Eleazer Bingham and Miriam Phelps. William and Miriam had ten (some say fourteen) children between 1769 and 1788.
m2. 3 Jan 1782 Cummington, Hampshire, Mass. to Mary Warner (b. 1747 Mass. – d. 9 Nov 1809 Naples, Ontario, New York; Buried Fairview Cemetery, Naples) Mary first married Timothy Mower in Massachusetts.
William Clark V. was commissioned ensign of the 6th Regiment of the Connecticut Colony in 1772. Removed with his father to Gageborough (afterwards Windsor) He was 1st Lieutenant. in Capt. Nathan Watkins Company of minute men which which marched Apr 22 1775, in response to the alarm of Apr 19 1775 He was also in Capt. Bliss’ company Col Paterson’s regiment reported commissioned May 3 1776.
He was chosen Captain by election 8th company, 2nd Berkshire Regiment May 4, 1776. Captain William Clark’s company was in Col. Benjamin Simond’s regiment in August 1777 Benjamin Simonds was commissioned colonel of Berkshire County volunteers, forming a regiment of some five hundred men known as the “Berkshire Boys.
William marched on the alarm from Windsor to Bennington Aug 14, 1777 by order of General Stark.
Simonds’ Regiment of Militia also known as the 3rd Berkshire County Regiment was raised in Berkshire County, Massachusetts during the Revolutionary War. The Regiment was at Fort Ticonderoga during the winter of 1776-1777. Simonds’ Regiment was called up in the summer of 1777 during the Saratoga Campaign fighting at the Battle of Bennington with General John Stark’s Brigade of New Hampshire Militia. Many volunteers also joined the regiment at this time including William Easton, and the “Fighting Parson,” Thomas Allen.
Late on the night of August 15, Stark was awakened by the arrival of Parson Thomas Allen and the Berkshire Boys who insisted on joining his force. In response to the minister’s fiery threat that his men would never come out again if they were not allowed to participate, Stark is reported to have said, “Would you go now on this dark and rainy night? Go back to your people and tell them to get some rest if they can, and if the Lord gives us sunshine to-morrow and I do not give you fighting enough, I will never call on you to come again.
Total German and British losses at Bennington were recorded at 207 dead and 700 captured; American losses included 30 Americans dead and 40 wounded. The battle was at times particularly brutal when Loyalists met Patriots, as in some cases they came from the same communities.
The effect on Burgoyne’s campaign was significant. Not only had he lost nearly 1,000 men, of which half were regulars, but he also lost the crucial Indian support. In a council following the battle, many of the Indians (who had traveled with him from Quebec) decided to go home. This loss severely hampered Burgoyne’s reconnaissance efforts in the days to come. The failure to bring in nearby supplies meant that he had to rely on supply lines that were already dangerously long, and that he eventually broke in September. The shortage of supplies was a significant factor in his decision to surrender at Saratoga. following which France entered the war.
August 16 is a legal holiday in Vermont, known as Bennington Battle Day.
The regiment would continue on to the Battle of Bemis Heights and the surrender of British General John Burgoyne’s army. The regiment would also be called up in response to Carleton’s Raid and the Royalton Raid of 1780
The 1st Massachusetts Regiment was authorized on 23 April 1775 in the Massachusetts State Troops as Paterson’s Regiment under Colonel John Paterson and was organized at Cambridge, colony of Massachusetts during the spring of 1775 constisting of eleven companies of volunteers from Berkshire, Hampshire, Suffolk, Middlesex, Worcester, York counties and Litchfield County Connecticut. The regiment was adopted into the main Continental Army on 14 June 1775 and was assigned to Heath’s Brigade on 22 July 1775. On Jan 1 1776 the regiment (less two companies) was consolidated with Sayer’s and Sullivan’s companies of Scammon’s Regiment; re-organized to eight companies and redesignated as the 15th Continental Regiment of Heath’s Brigade. The regiment saw action at the Battle of Bunker Hill. After the British evacuation of Boston, Col. Paterson and his regiment were ordered to take part in the Invasion of Canada and the battles of Trenton and Princeton in New Jersey.
Paterson was later a Major General under George Washington and Congressman from New York
William was a captain at the Battle of Bennington Vermont (Aug 16 1777), a victory of American patriots over the British army. He also served as an aide to Gen. George Washington for a time.
In 1781, William Clark was commissioned a lieutenant colonel of the Berkshire County Massachusetts Militia. In 1789, he led 60 pioneers from Binghamton, Berkshire, Mass to Ontario County, NY, where they formed a colony soon to be known as Naples.
Naples was part of the Phelps and Gorham Purchase The town was established in 1779 along with Ontario County, and settlement began the following year. The town, known at one time as “Watkinstown” (after Captain Nathan Watkins, a Revolutionary War veteran and early settler) and “Middletown,” was finally given the name “Naples” in 1782. Naples was not quickly settled due to its hilly terrain. Part of the new town was used to form the Town of Italy in 1815, and another part was used to form part of the Town of Springwater in 1816. Grapes, first planted in the 1760s, led to the modern grape and wine industry of the town . The annual Naples Grape Festival is held in September, and the area is known for its wineries and grape pie.
“Col. Clark emigrated from Berkshire, Mass to Naples, NY 1791, was one of the first justices of the peace in Ontario Co. and for 34 years a benevolent and useful citizen.”
iii. Nathaniel Clark b. 1751 in Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 3 Mar 1776 Windsor, Berkshire, Mass.
iv. Patience Clark b. 20 Jul 1753 in Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 2 Feb 1805 Marcellus, Onondaga, New York; m. 1774 to William Foster (b. 7 Apr 1753 in Marcellus, Onondaga, New York – d. 23 Apr 1813 in Marcellus, Onondaga, New York) William’s parents were Josiah Foster, and Ann [__?__]. Patience and William had six children born between 1775 and 1793.
William Served in Rev. War from Ducthess and Albany Co. Listed as having cattle earmarked in Granville, Washington Co., NY in 1803.
v. Prudence Clark b. 20 Jul 1753 in Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 1 Feb 1805 Andover, Tolland, CT; m. 27 Sep 1770 in Hebron, Tolland, CT to Aaron Swetland (b. 4 Jan 1748 in Hebron, Tolland, CT – d. 17 Aug 1804 in Hebron, Tolland, CT) Aaron’s parents were Joseph Sweetland, and Anna Hutchinson.
vi. Lavinia ” Lovina” Clark b. 25 Apr 1755 in Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 13 Jun 1790 Andover, Tolland, CR; m. 1774 in CT to Nathaniel Loomis (b. 28 Aug 1747 in Coventry, Tolland, CT – d. 16 Dec 1824 in Westmoreland, New York Burial: Westmoreland Union (New) Cemetery) Nathaniel’s parents were Nathaniel Loomis Sr. and Sarah Ryley. Nathaniel first married 1770 in Coventry, Tolland, CT to Mary Simms (b. 1749 – d. 16 Oct) and had one son Nathaniel Jr (b. 1771). Lovina and Nathaniel had ten children born between 1774 and 1788 in Coventry.
Nathaniel Loomis was a member of Captain Simeon Sheldon’s company serving at Guilford and New Haven during July 1777 and his name is on the pay role of said company.
The Loomis family moved to Westmoreland, Oneida, New York prior to the 1800 census.
3. Bethiah Clark
Bethia’s husband Jonathan Lyman was born in 23 Apr 1712 in Lebanon, New London, CT. His parents were Lt. Jonathan Lyman and Lydia Loomis. Jonathan died 28 Jul 1792 in Lebanon, New London, CT.
Jonathan was a farmer, tanner and currier in Lebanon CT.
Children of Berthia and Jonathan:
i. Jonathan Lyman (b. 8 May 1737 Lebanon, New London, CT – d. 4 May 1766 Springfield, Mass.)
ii. William Lyman b. 12 Aug 1738 Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 2 Apr 1827 Lebanon; Burial: Old Cemetery, Lebanon; m1. 12 Feb 1761 in Lebanon to Mary Barker (b. 29 Jan 1744 in Lebanon – d. 8 Jun 1792 in Lebanon Burial: Old Cemetery, Lebanon); Mary’s parents were Joshua Barker and Mary Throop. William and Mary had nine chilldren born between 1762 and 1783 in Lebanon
m2. 24 Oct 1793 in Lebanon to Theodah Williams (b. 11 Dec 1744 in Lebanon – d. 2 Oct 1821 in Lebanon)
Capt. Vaugham’s Co.
iii. Rachel Lyman b. 20 Mar 1740 Lebanon, New London, CT; m. 2 Nov 1791 to [__?__] Emmons
iv. Bethiah Lyman b. 15 Oct 1741 Lebanon, New London, CT; m. 17 Oct 1765 in Lebanon to Joseph Leach. Bethiah and Joseph had four children between 1770 and 1781.
v. Sarah Lyman b. 8 Jan 1747 Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 1750 Lebanon
vi. Rev. Joseph Lyman b. 3 Apr 1749 Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 27 Mar 1828 Hatfield, Hampshire, Mass; m. 15 Oct 1772 in Lebanon to Hannah Huntington (b. 25 Aug 1749 in Lebanon- d. 10 Aug 1829 in Norwich, CT) Hannah’s parents were cousins Simon Huntington and Sarah Huntington. Joseph and Hannah had seven children born between 1773 and 1786.
Joseph was minister of the First Congregational Church in Hatfield, Hampshire County, Massachusetts for almost 56 years.
Hatfield, one of the oldest settlements in Hampshire county, is located on the west bank of the Connecticut River at the mouth of the Mill River. It was incorporated in 1670. The Rev. Hope Atherton appears to have been the first minister. Mr. Atherton died in 1679, aged 33. He was succeeded by Rev. Nathaniel Chauncy. Mr. Chauncy died in 1685, and was succeeded by Rev. William Williams, who died in 1741. Rev. Timothy Woodbridge was installed here in 1740, and was succeeded by Rev. Joseph Lyman, D. D., in 1772. Dr. Lyman died in 1828.
On January 1, 1799 Deerfield Academy was formally opened and dedicated with a sermon delivered by the Reverend Joseph Lyman (1749-1848), minister of nearby Hatfield, Massachusetts, and a trustee of the new Academy. The occasion was considered important enough that the sermon was published. Reverend Lyman’s theme was a prevalent one in American public education, a focus on useful knowledge. He believed that understanding equaled wisdom and that wisdom then rendered men useful. Lyman stressed also the profitable aspects of attaining knowledge (wisdom) for both material gains and for personal enrichment.
Today Deerfield Academy is an independent, coeducational boarding school with approximately 600 students and about 100 faculty, all of whom live on or near campus. In 2007 Deerfield’s endowment was valued at US$415 million, or roughly $680,000 per student. Fees were around $33,000 for day students and $45,000 for boarders in 2010–2011
Rev. Joseph Lyman, Yale College B.A. 1767, D.D. Williams College 1801, a trustee of Amherst College and one of the founders of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions.
The Haystack Prayer Meeting, held in Williamstown, Massachusetts, in August 1806, is viewed by many scholars as the seminal event for the development of Protestant missions in the subsequent decades and century. Missions are still supported today by American churches.
In August 1806, five Williams College students met in the maple grove of Sloan’s Meadow to pray. A thunderstorm drove them to the shelter of a haystack, and the fervor of the ensuing meeting inspired them to take the Gospel abroad.
Within four years of that gathering, some of its members established the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions (ABCFM).
The ABCFM was the first American Christian foreign mission agency. It was proposed in 1810 by recent graduates of Williams College and officially chartered in 1812. In 1961 it merged with other societies to form the United Church Board for World Ministries.
The founding of the ABCFM is associated with the Second Great Awakening. Congregationalist in origin, the American Board supported missions by Presbyterian (1812–1870), Dutch-Reformed (1819–1857) and other denominational members.
The first five missionaries were sent overseas in 1812. Between 1812 and 1840, the ABCFM sent missionaries to: Tennessee to the Cherokee people, Bombay India, northern Ceylon,, the Sandwich Islands, China, Singapore and Siam, Greece, Cyprus, Turkey, Syria, the Holy Land and Persia.; aWestern Africa—Cape Palmas—and Southern Africa—among the Zulus). Many of its missionaries undertook translation of the Bible into native languages, and some created written languages where none had existed before.
Joseph was Vice President from 1819 to 1823 and President of the board from 1823 to 1826. The ABCFM’s fought against Indian removal policies in general and the Indian Removal Act of 1830 in particular
Joseph was a patriot and actively supported the cause. During the Revolution, Hatfield was an important source of supplies and men for the rebels. In 1786 the town was used as an assembly area for the discontented who became involved in Shays’ Rebellion.
Joseph was President of the Convention in 1818 establishing Amherst and later a trustee. As early as 1815, six years before the opening of Amherst College, the question of relocating Williams College to some more central part of Massachusetts was agitated among its friends and in its board of trustees. At that time Williams College had two buildings and fifty-eight students, with two professors and two tutors. The library contained fourteen hundred volumes. The funds were reduced and the income fell short of the expenditures. Many of the friends and supporters of the college were fully persuaded that it could not be sustained in its present location. The chief ground of this persuasion was the extreme difficulty of the access to it. (Williamstown is in the extreme northwest corner of Massachusetts. It shares a border with Vermont to the north and New York to the west.
At a meeting on November 10, 1818, chaired by Rev. Joseph Lyman, the board of trustees resolved that it was expedient to remove the college on certain conditions.Nine out of twelve of the trustees voted for the resolutions, which were as follows:
“Resolved, that it is expedient to remove Williams College to some more central part of the State whenever sufficient funds can be obtained to defray the necessary expenses incurred and the losses sustained by removal, and to secure the prosperity of the college, and when a fair prospect shall be presented of obtaining for the institution the united support and patronage of the friends of literature and religion in the western part of the Commonwealth, and when the General Court shall give their assent to the measure
In 1821, the president of the college, Zephaniah Swift Moore, who had accepted his position believing that the college would move east, decided to proceed with the move. He took 15 students with him, and refounded the college under the name of Amherst College
Some students and professors decided to stay behind at Williams and were allowed to keep the land, which was at the time relatively worthless. According to legend, Moore also took portions of the Williams College library
Rev. JOSEPH LYMAN, D.D., 56 years Pastor of the church of Christ in Hatfield, 5 years President of A.B.C.F.M., Died March 27th, 1828, aged 79 years. Mrs. HANNAH HUNTINGTON, Relict of Rev. JOSEPH LYMAN, Died Aug. 4th, 1829, aged 80 years.
vi. Lydia Lyman b. 1 Aug 1751 Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 22 Jan 1813 Colchester, New London CT; Burial: Wesley Brown Cemetery, Salem, New London, CT; ,m. 4 Oct 1787 at age 36 in Colchester to Elias Peck (b. 20 Jun 1748 in Lyme, New London, CT – d. 17 Oct 1812 Colchester) Elias’ parents were Lt. Benjamin Peck ( – 1784) and Sarah Champion. Elias first married Sarah Ely (1753 – 20 Jul 1786)
vii. Rev. Eliphalet Lyman b. 5 Mar 1754 Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 2 Feb 1836 Woodstock, Windham, CT; m. 1779 in CT to Hannah Huntington (b. 28 Apr 1753 in Norwich, CT – d. 19 Apr 1836 in Woodstock) Eliphet and Hannah had nine children born between 1780 and 1797 in Woodstock.
This marble is erected
as a memento of the
REV ELIPHALET LYMAN
who died instantly
Feb. 2. 1836:
in the 83rd year
of his age.
& 58th of his ministry.
viii. David Lyman b. 11 May 1756 Lebanon, New London, C; d. 14 May 1760
ix. Asa Lyman b. 31 Oct 1757 Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 14 Jun 1771 Lebanon
4. Beulah Clark
Most of the stones in the cemetery are illegible. Beulah’s headstone is tilted forward and reads,”Here lieth Beulah daughtar to Deacon William Clark and Bethiah Clark his wife who died February 9, 1726 9 years.”
5. Phineas Clark
Phineas’ first wife Priscilla Case was born 22 Sep 1722 in Lebanon, New London, CT. Her parents were Jonathan Case and Bathsheba Williams. Priscilla died 13 Dec 1750 in Lebanon, New London, CT.
Phineas’ second wife Hannah Collins was born about 1720.
Phineas was a farmer in Lebanon, CT.
Children of Phineas and Priscilla (six girls):
i. Bathsheba Clark b. 6 Jun 1742 Lebanon, New London, CT; m. 9 Jul 1772 Lebanon to Lemuel Sparks (b. 11 Sep 1747 in Windham, CT – d. Onondago, New York) Lemuel’s parents were Joseph Sparks (1720 – ) and Mehetable Johnson (1730 – )
ii. Priscilla Clark b. 10 Aug 1743 Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 1848 in Casenovia, Madison, New York; m. 1769 to Ephraim Robertson (b. 29 Apr 1749 in Tolland County, CY – d. 17 Oct 1826 in Coventry, Tolland, CT) Ephraim’s parents were Ephraim Robertson (1721 – 1752) and Esther Rose (1721 – 1804)
iii. Mary Clark b. 11 Feb 1745 Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 28 Oct 1841 in North Madson, Lake, Ohio; m. 27 Oct 1768 Lebanon to Pelatiah Holbrook (b. 25 Aug 1743 in Lebanon – d. 2 Sep 1798 in Poultney, Rutland, Vermont) Pelatiah’s parents were Nathaniel Holbrook (1703 – 1787) and Martha Wright (1705 – 1761). Mary and Pelatiah had seven children between 1769 and 1785
Pelatiah was a prince against whom Ezekiel prophesied, and who fell dead at the close of the prophecy Eze 11:1-13 (no wonder this wasn’t a popular baby name choice)
Pelatiah served as a sergeant in Daniel Tilton’s company during the Lexington Alarm in service 18 days and was paid 1 pound 10 shillings and 9 pence.
Private in Capt. Daniel Dewey’s company Col. Obidiah Hosford’s 12th Regiment of Connecticut State Militia marched to East Chester New York in Sep 1776.
iv. Hannah Clark b. 24 May 1746 Lebanon, New London, CT
v. Alice Clark b. 24 Apr 1748 Lebanon, New London, CT
vi. Lydia Clark b. 3 Mar 1750 Lebanon, New London, CT
6. Mary Clark
Mary’s husband Caleb Abell was born 25 Apr 1709 in Lebanon, CT. His parents were Caleb Abell and Abigail Sluman. Caleb died 23 Nov 1804 in Lebanon Village, CT.
Alternatively, Mary’s husband was Joseph Hatch. Joseph was born on 12 Sep 1715. Tradition says that he was the first male child born in Tolland, CT. His parents were Joseph Hatch and Mary Delano. Joseph died 23 Feb 1772 in Tolland, Tolland, CT.
Mary and Joseph had twelve children: Mary, Jonathan, Mercy, William, Joseph, Alice, Bethiah, Daniel, Ann, Timothy, Isaac, and Rebecca Hatch.
Children of Mary and Caleb:
i. Creta Abell b. 5 Dec 1738 Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 5 Jun 1754 – Lebanon
ii. Abigail Abell b. 21 Aug 1740 Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 1814 Lebanon; m. 22 May 1766 in Lebanon to Nathan Clark (b. 13 Sep 1736 in Lebanon, CT – d. 1793) Nathan’s parents were Timothy Clark and Deborah Beard.
iii. Elizabeth Abell b. 21 Dec 1742 Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 4 Feb 1825; m. 15 Feb 1770 in Lebanon to Comfort Brewster (b. 20 Aug 1745 in Lebanon – d. 27 May 1822 in Lebanon) Comfort’s parents were Comfort Brewster Sr. and Deborah Smith. Elizabeth and Comfort had seven children born between 1771 and 1787 in Lebanon.
iv. Joseph Abell b. 29 Oct 1744 Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 1765 in Lebanon; m. Lydia Finney (b.1744 in Lebanon – d. 1767 in Lebanon)
v. Mary Abell b. 18 Nov 1747 Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 8 Jul 1790; m. 18 May 1768 in Lebanon to her father’s third cousin Charles Hyde (b. 8 Oct 1748 in Norwich, New London, CT – d. 1 May 1839 in Lebanon) Charles’ parents were Daniel Hyde and Abigail Wattles. Mary and Charles had nine children born between 1769 and 1786.
After Mary died, Charles married 1803 in Lebanon, CT to Roxanna Rogers (b. 1752 in Windham, CT) and had five more children between 1802 and 1816. I’m investigating the conflict between Roxanna’s 1752 birth and the children’s a half a century later.
vi. Caleb Abell b. 23 Feb 1751 Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 26 May 1814 Lebanon; Burial: Old Cemetery; m. 6 Dec 1770 in Lebanon to Jerusha Lyman (b. 4 Dec 1747 in Lebanon – d. 23 Sep 1803) Jerusha’s parents were Jabez Lyman and Martha Bliss. Caleb and Jerusha had six children between 1771 and 1790.
Caleb enlisted 1st Company, 8th Connecticut Provincial Regiment (1775) commanded by Colonel Jedediah Huntington. In August 1775, Huntington’s Regiment was designated “The 29th Regiment of Foot.”Huntington raised a regiment in which he was made captain, joined the army at Cambridge, on Apr 26 1775, and aided in repulsing the British at Danbury, Connecticut, in April 1776. He “fought courageously during the Battle of Bunker Hill, from which he emerged a Colonel.
vii. Lydia Abell b. 21 May 1753 Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 8 Feb 1833 in Hudson, Columbia, New York; m. 1769 Lebanon to Abel Fitch (b. 17 Nov 1750 in Lebanon – d. 17 Jul 1826 in Hudson, Columbia, New York) Abel’s parents were Ezekiel Fitch (1732 – 1811) and Susannah Higley (1730 – 1816)
viii. Lucretia Abell b. 30 Oct 1755 Lebanon, New London, CT – d. 1840 in Lebanon.
7. Jemima Clark
Jemima’s husband Capt. Israel Jones was born 18 Mar 1715/16 Enfield, CT. His parents were Thomas Jones and Mary Meacham. Afer Jemima died, he married Rhoda Parsons (25 Nov 1759 Granville, Hampden, Mass. – d. 26 Jun 1796 Hartland, Hartford CT). Israel died 28 Dec 1798 Lebanon, CT.
Israel settled in the northeast corner of Barkhamsted township upon the eastern slope of East Mountain.
Captain Israel Jones was a prominent man of Enfield before he became one of the first settlers of Barkhamsted in 1759. He retained military and residence interests in Enfield and Somers for many years after moving, as Barkhamsted was not incorporated until 1779. Israel and Jemima were the 2nd settlers in the wilderness at Barkhamsted.
Residence of Captain Israel Jones from 1771 to his death In 1798; then son Samuel Jones to 1822; then to Samuel’s son Elijah to 1850; then to Edwin P. Jones, son of Elijah. Sold in 1900 by Fred H Jones, son of Edwin, to LeGeyt family. Occupied by Legeyt family from 1900 to 1990; in disrepair and taken down ca. 2007. Photo courtesy Bertha (LeGeyt) Warner with thanks.
Barkhamsted Hollow was flooded by the creation of the Barkhamsted Reservoir in 1940, splitting Barkhamsted and the nearby town of Hartland, Connecticut in half.
Israel Jones Memorial Extracted From Barkhamsted, Conn., & Its Centennial 1879
Wife of Capt. Israel
Died June 3, 1788
Children of Jemima and Israel:
i. Samuel Jones b. 31 Jan 1745 in Enfield, Hartford, CT; d. 4 Sep 1747 in Enfield,
ii. Mary Jones b. 25 Oct 1747 Enfield, Hartford, CT; d. 29 Oct 1826 Enfield; Burial: Shaker Cemetery Enfield m. 30 Nov 1769 to Elijah Billings (b. 21 Jan 1743 in Somers, Tolland, CT – d. 5 Jun 1814 in Enfield, Tolland, CT) Elijah’s parents were Samuel Billings and Mary Kibbe. Mary and Elijah had four children born between 1770 and 1780.
Family tradition says that Mary and John Billings renounced their marriage and joined the Society of Shakers. The records of that society show “Mary Billings died 24 Oct 1826, aged 79 years” and “Elijah Billings died 5 Jun 1814, aged 71 years.” Both are buried in the Shaker Cemetery in Enfield.
The Shakers saw themselves as the avant garde of the kingdom of God, preparing the way for the new era when God’s will was done on earth. In the kingdom, as in the Shaker fellowship, there was “neither marrying nor giving in marriage.” Celibacy was a preparation for the kingdom. By 1774, Ann Lee and some eight of her followers had emigrated from England to America, settling in New York. There they preached their doctrines and won a surprising following. Ann herself was a powerful preacher and charismatic personality, travelling around the colonies, particularly in New England, preaching her gospel views. When confronted about a female’s right to preach, she responded that “all the children, both male and female, must be subject to their parents; and the woman, being second, must be subject to her husband, who is the first; but when the man is gone, the right of government belongs to the woman: So is the family of Christ.”
Established in the 1780s, Enfield was the only Shaker community established in Connecticut. Not to be confused with the well-known Enfield Shaker Historic District of New Hampshire, the Connecticut Enfield Shaker village was a community of around 150 individuals and three families. Of the almost 100 buildings once part of the village, only 15 now remain, the majority of which comprised the South Family complex, which still resembles a Shaker village with its tightly grouped buildings. The few buildings that remain from the Church and North Families reflect the variety of Shaker architecture found within a community
A Shaker village was divided into groups or “families.” The leading group in each village was the Church Family, and it was surrounded by satellite families that were often named for points on the compass rose. Each village was governed by a leadership team consisting of two men (Elders) and two women (Eldresses). Shakers lived together as brothers and sisters. Each house was divided so that men and women did most things separately. They used different staircases and doors. They sat on opposite sides of the room in worship, at meals, and in “union meetings” held to provide supervised socialization between the sexes. However, the daily business of a Shaker village required the brethren and sisters to interact. Though there was a division of labor between men and women, they also cooperated in carrying out many tasks, such as harvesting apples, food production, laundry, and gathering firewood.
iii. Samuel Jones b. 31 Jul 1749 Enfield, Hartford, CT; d. 29 Mar 1822 Barkhamstead, Litchfield, CT; m. 7 Dec 1773 in East Haddam, Hartford, CT to Ruth Ackley (b. 9 May 1752 in East Hadden – d. 25 Jul 1843) Ruth’s parents were Isaac Ackley and Ruth Gates. Samuel and Ruth had eight children born between 1774 and 1789.
Samuel Jones lived upon the farm which was settled by his father, and supported his aged parents during their declining years. It is evident that he was a man of thrift and devoted his energies to the support of his family, which developed into worthy citizens. The time in which lived was a trying one for all; for property, as well as life, were placed upon “Liberty’s Altar. ‘ ‘ His descendants have always retained possession of the “old home,” and the place is the “Mecca” of all the descendants of his father.
Samuel Jones was one of those quiet, unobtrusive men whose influence was felt rather than heard. Fearless in integrity and unwavering in honesty, he w T as a person whose judgment was often appealed to, and whose advice it was safe to follow.
With a wife and five children —the eldest not yet seven years old — he started from Hartland, Conn., for his new home in the west, Sept. 10, 1811. Shortly after his arrival in Ohio he settled upon a farm where he continued to reside until after the death of his wife, in 1863, when his declining days were passed with his children. He died May 16, 1880, aged 98 years, 10 months, 17 days, respected and venerated by all who had known him during his long life. His wife was a sister of Hon. Titus* and Col. Richard Hayes. Col. Richard commanded the troops raised in this part of the Reserve in the war of 1812.
An anecdote well illustrates “Uncle Sam’s” (as he was familiarly called) thrift. The children had been sent to a neighbor’s to ask permission to pick some elderberries on their,place. Permission was granted with the remark that ” If Mr. Jones wasn’t so shiftless, he would raise his own elderberries.”
His children grew up an honor to their parents, and took an active interest in the progress of the township. Of the sons, Linus, Flavel, Anson and Samuel, each served as justices of the peace; while of his grandsons, Rollin T. and Flavel E., each have filled the same office. There was a pronounced musical talent in the family, which coupled with their good voices, made them quite an acquisition to any community.
iv. Thomas Jones b. 1751 Enfield, Hartford, CT; d. 13 Jun 1832 Richland, Oswego, New York; Burial: Burial: Pulaski Village Cemetery, Oswego NY; m. 1773 in Barkhamsted, Litchfield, CT to Susannah Adams (b. 1752 in Barkhamsted – d. 18 May 1815 in Richland, New York) Susannah’s parents were Daniel Adams and Rebecca Kendall Thomas and Susannah had seven children born between 1777 and 1795.
The family moved from Barkhamstead, CT to Litchfield, NY between 1790 and 1795.
v. Lt. Israel Jones b. 2 Sep 1753 Enfield, Hartford, CT; d. 1 Sep 1812 Barkhamsted, Litchfield, CT; Burial: Barkhamsted Center Cemetery ; m1. 19 Jan 1778 in Hartland, Millford, CT to Rhoda Parsons (b. 25 Nov 1759 in Granville, Mass. – d. 26 Jun 1796) Rhoda’s parents were David Parsons and Rebecca Robinson. Israel and Rhoda had seven children born between 1779 and 1790.
m2. 27 Dec 1796 in Barkhamsted to Lois Wadsworth (b. 1764 Farmington, Hartford, CT- d. 19 Nov 1813 Barkhamsted) Lois’ parents were Hezekiah Wadsworth and Lois Judd. Israel and Lois had four more children between 1797 and 1806.
Isreal Jones, Jr. was a soldier in the Continental Army.
Israel and Lois’ son Henry (b. 1800) was a Probate Judge 1857-1863; also a Representative to the General Assembly 1845.
vi. Jemima Jones b. 5 Jun 1755 Enfield, Hartford, CT; d. 22 Dec 1818 Hartford, Trumbull, Ohio; m. 11 Jun 1788 to Asahel Borden (b. 18 Jun 1755 in East Haddam, Middlesex, CT – d. 22 Jul 1826 in Hartford, Trumbull, Ohio) Asahel’s parents were John Borden and Mary Cone.
About 1804, the family was one of over a hundred people who moved from Barkhamsted, Connecticut to Hartford, Trumbull. Ohio. So many were leaving at the same time that a general sermon was preached on the occassion. In many cases, three or four generations of the same family made the trip together. It was part of the Connecticut Western Reserve , land claimed by Connecticut from 1662 to 1800 in the Northwest Territory in what is now mostly part of Northeast Ohio.
vii. Submit Jones b. 18 Oct 1757 Barkhamsted, Litchfield, CT; d. 29 Dec 1785 West Williamsfield, Ohio Based on Joshua’s subsequent marriage and children’s birth locations it seems more likely Submit died in Connecticut; m. 28 Oct 1779 in Hartland, Hartford, CT to Joshua Giddings (b. 9 Nov 1756 in Hartland – d. 21 Oct 1833 in Wayne, Ashtabula, Ohio) Joshua’s parents were Joshua Giddings Sr. and [__?__] Reed. Submit and Joshua had four children born between 1780 and 1785.
After Submit died, Joshua married 22 Mar 1787 in Enfield, CT to Elizabeth Pease (b. 29 May 1756 in Enfield, CT – d. 24 Sep 1827 in Wayne, Ohio) and had five more children between 1787 and 1795.
viii. William Clark Jones b. 9 May 1760 Barkhamsted, Litchfield, CT; d. 25 Nov 1841 Hartford, Trumbull, Ohio;
Baldwin says that William was a Revolutionary War Soldier.
m1. 28 Dec 1784 in Barkhamsted to Elizabeth Hayes (b. 1762 – d. 12 Dec 1787 in East Hartland, CT) William and Elizabeth had one child William (b. 1785)
m2. Rebecca Rolland William and Rebecca had one child Seldon (b. 1793)
m3. 4 Feb 1796 to Lorana “Lorain ” “Lorany” “Rany” Brockway (b. 29 Dec 1772 Branford, New Haven, CT – d. 26 Dec 1819 Ohio) Lorana’s parents were Edward Brockway and Martha Hoadley
Marriage Register – “4 February 1796 in Connecticut. “Rany” from Hartland and William from Snowbush, assume CT.
The family moved Litchfield New York in 1802 to Hartford Townwhip, Trumble Ohio, locating on lot 12. Traditional sources claim that they were living in Hartland just prior to coming to Ohio
m4. 8 Oct 1819 Burghill, Trumbull, Ohio to Isabella (Shephard) Hall
ix. Isaac Jones b. 25 Apr 1764 Barkhamsted, Litchfield, CT – d. 16 Jul 1830 Hartford, Trumbull, Ohio; m1. 2 Dec 1784 in Hartland, Hartford, CT to Abigail Brockway (b. 17 May 1765 in Branford, New Haven, CT – d. 17 Sep 1815 in Hartford, Trumbull, Ohio) Abigail’s parents were Edward Brockway and Abigail Palmer. Isaac and Abigail had seven children between 1785 and 1809.
m2. After Abigail died, Isaac married 25 Apr 1816 at 52 years old in Trumbull, Ohio to Chloe Giddings (b. 31 Jan 1768 at Hartland, Hartford, CT – d. 12 Jun 1825 Vernon, Trumbull, Ohio) Chloe’s parents were Joshua Giddings and Jane Reed, Chloe’s first married Moses Brockway (1762 – 1805), the brother of Isaac’s first wife.
On Aug 19, 1799, Isaac Jones, his father-in-law Edward Brockway and his future son-in-law Asahel Brainard (Asahel would marry Issac’s daughter Mary Matilda in 1807) spent their first night in Western Reserve under a tree on what in 1873 was the farm of Elijah Woodford. Edward Brockway cut the first tree in this new land. They made a clearing and sowed a field of wheat. Jones and Brockway returned home to bring their families. Brainard stayed on alone during the first winter, engaged in felling trees and clearing land.
1803 – The family came to stay in Ohio.
8. Martha Clark
Martha’s husband Jethro Hatch was born 17 Sep 1722 Tolland, Tolland, CT. He was Martha’s first cousin. His parents were Timothy Hatch and Deborah Newcomb. His maternal grandparents were Simon NEWCOMB and Deborah LATHROP. Jethro died 20 Sep 1818.
Revolutionary War Soldier; died at age 96.
Jethro was promoted to Major from Kent in Oct 1776, Col. Increase Moseley’s (1740 – 1811) 13th Regiment of Militia.
Major Jethro Hatch participated in the capture of Ticonderoga. (1775) Benedict Arnold had frequently traveled through the area around the fort, and was familiar with its condition, manning, and armaments. En route to Boston following news of the events of April 19, he mentioned the fort and its condition to members of Silas Deane‘s militia, The Connecticut Committee of Correspondence acted on this information; money was “borrowed” from the provincial coffers and recruiters were sent into northwestern Connecticut (where Jethro lived), western Massachusetts, and the New Hampshire Grants (now Vermont) to raise volunteers for an attack on the fort. Although the scope of this military action was relatively minor, it had significant strategic importance and involved two larger-than-life personalities in Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold, each of whom sought to gain as much credit and honor as possible for these events.
Children of Martha and Jethro:
i. Reliance Hatch b. 17 Jan 1750 in Kent, Litchfield, CT; d. 23 Jul 1839 Bethlehem, CT; m. 16 Jan 1771 in Litchfield, CT to James Kasson (b. 19 Jun 1748 in Woodbury – d. 27 Jan 1803 Bethlehem, Litchfield, CT) James’ parents were James Kasson Sr. (1714 – 1791) and Esther Duncan. Reliance and James had eight children.
James Kasson Sr. was born in Carricle, Furgus, Ireland, a son of Adam Kasson and Jane Hall. The family immigrated to the United States in 1722. Adam Kasson and wife Jane Hall were among the earliest settlers of Voluntown, CT. He was chosen Deacon of the Voluntown Church.
James Kasson Jr. served in Capt. Epaphras Bull’s company of Major Shell’s Light Horse as clerk which marched Sep 23 1776 discharged Nov 20 1776. being part of the Connecticut troops. This command in whole or in part accompanied General Washington in his retreat through New Jersey in Dec 1776.
Sheldon’s Horse, The Second Continental Light Dragoons was commissioned by Congress under the command of Colonel Elisha Sheldon on December 12 of 1776 at the direct recommendation of General George Washington. Sheldon first came to the attention of the Commander in Chief earlier that year when Sheldon lead the 5th Regiment Connecticut Light Horse to Washington’s New York headquarters to volunteer for army service. The offer was refused due to lack of sufficient forage for men and horses. However, after the October 1776 defeat at White Plains, NY, and the rear guard actions of the Connecticut 5th Light Horse across New Jersey, Washington came to recognize the value of a regular mounted establishment and the Second Continental Light Dragoons was born with Elisha Sheldon commissioned as Colonel-Commandant.
The unit never served as a whole. The first action occurred when Capt. Epaphras Bull and Lt. Thomas Young Seymour led a portion of the Second Dragoons at the battles at Trenton and Princeton Members of the unit comprised Washington’s personal bodyguard. Men of the Second Light Dragoons guarded John Andre during his incarceration, trial and subsequent execution in Nyack, New York.
James Kasson, Capt. Bull’s Co.(Flag), Revolutionary War.
died age 55
ii. Martha Hatch b. 14 Sep 1752 in Kent, Litchfield, CT; d. 27 Mar 1818 Kent, CT; m. 5 May 1768 in Kent to Ephraim Beardsley (b. 1738 in Kent – d. 22 Mar 1806 in Kent; Burial Good Hill Cemetery) Ephraim’s parents were David Beardsley and Sarah Welles. Martha and Ephraim had seven children.
Ephraim served as a fifer in Capt Whiting’s company, Col. David Waterbury’s 5th Connecticut Provincial Regiment (1775). Worked on guns for 20 days at Ticonderoga Aug 1775. Waterbury’s Regiment was assigned to the Separate, or New York, Department in 1775. The 1st through 6th regiments of the Connecticut Line were adopted by the Continental Congress on June 14, 1775.
iii. Lydia Hatch b. 22 Jul 1755 in Kent, Litchfield, CT; d. 9 Nov 1847 Warren, Litchfield, CT; m. 20 Feb 1781 in Warren to Ebenezer Tanner (b. 20 Jan 1757 in Cornwall, CT – d. 5 Oct 1819 – Litchfield, Litchfield, CT) Ebenezer’s parents were William Tanner (1719 – 1763) and Hannah Newcomb (1728 – 1806)
Ebenezer Tanner was a Sergeant in Col. Heman Swift’s 7th Connecticut, 30th April, 1777; Ensign, 25th May, 1779; transferred to 2nd Connecticut, 1st January, 1781; 2d Lieutenant, 28th March, 1782; retired 1st January, 1783.
The 7th Connecticut Regiment was raised on Sep 16, 1776 at New Milford, Connecticut. The regiment saw action in the Battle of Brandywine, Battle of Germantown and the Battle of Monmouth. The regiment was merged into the 5th Connecticut Regiment on January 1, 1781 at West Point, New York and disbanded on November 15, 1783.
Because Continental army troop strength had fallen to less than half 1777 levels, Congress consolidated the remaining men into a smaller number of unit On Jan 1, 1781, the Continental Line was to be reduced from 80 regiments to 50. Each regiment continued to have nine companies, including a light infantry company, but the companies were made larger. For the first time, each regiment was to have a permanent recruiting party of 1 lieutenant, 1 drummer, and 1 fifer
The 2nd Connecticut Regiment (1781) was constituted in the Connecticut Line by consolidation of the 5th and 7th Connecticut Regiments of 1777. The regiment was commanded by Colonel Heman Swift from Jan 1 1781 until June 1783.
During the spring of 1781, the light infantry companies of Connecticut regiments were detached and the battalion companies participated in several expeditions around New York City under General Washington. When Washington moved half his army south to rendezvous with the French at Yorktown, two of the 5th’s companies were assigned to General Lafayette’s command. The bulk of the regiment remained in the Hudson Highlands to decoy the British command in New York from determining Washington’s true intentions. The two companies that marched off to Yorktown were selected to participate in the famous midnight attack on British redoubt #10, in which Sergeant William Brown of Stamford earned the highest Medal of Merit awarded to the ranks during the entire war – a purple heart. Only three were given. Another 5th Connecticut soldier, Sergeant Jeremiah Keeler of Ridgefield, was given a ceremonial sword by Lafayette himself for his bravery in the assault.
iv. Timothy Hatch b. 12 Dec 1757 in Kent, Litchfield, CT; d. 24 Jan 1847 Sherburne, Chenango, New York; m. 28 Nov 1782 in Stratford, Fairfield, CT to Ruth Wells (b. Aug 1759 in Huntington, Fairfield, CT – d. 6 Nov 1848 in Sherburne, Chenango, New York) Ruth’s parents were Gideon Welles (1719 – 1805) and Eunice Walker (1719 – 1805). Timothy and Ruth had eight children born between 1783 and 1799.
Ruth Welles, was the sister of Martha Welles, wife of the Rev. Blackleach Burritt, and a direct descendant of Gov. Thomas Welles, the Fourth Colonial Governor of Connecticut and the transcriber of the Fundamental Orders into the official colony records of Connecticut.
Timothy enlisted Apr 1777 in the 4th Connecticut Troop. Residence: Sharon. Occupation: Carpenter Stature: 5′ 7 1/2″ Complexion: Light Eyes: Grey Hair: Light Discharged Jan 1778
The 4th Connecticut Regiment (1777) was commanded by Colonel John Durkee from Jan 1 1777 to Jan 1 1781. Colonel Durkee was wounded at the Battle of Monmouth (Jun 28 1778).
Drummer in Capt. Abner? Prior’s company.
Timothy took part in the Battles of Saratoga (Sep 19 and Oct 7, 1777 conclusively decided the fate of British General John Burgoyne‘s army and are generally regarded as a turning point in the war). Timothy was a pensioner at the time of his death in 1856 at the age of ninety-six years.
Souvenir of the Sherburne, [Chenango, New York] Centennial Celebration 1893 — The act of the Legislature incorporating the town specified that the first Town Meeting should be held “at the dwelling house of Timothy Hatch”, which was a log house, located on the upper cross road over the river, not far from the present Wiley residence ; and it was there held on the first Tuesday in April, 1795, Isaac Foote acting as Moderator. The
following officers were then and there chosen :
Supervisor — Isaac Foote.
Town Clerk — Orsamus Holmes.
Assessors — John Hibbard, Joseph Simons, Josiah Lathrop.
Constable and Collector — Eleazer Lathrop.
Overseers of Highways — Joel Northrop, Abner Calkins, James Raymond, Stephen Parker, Joseph Guthrie.
Pound Keeper — Newcomb Raymond.
Commissioners of Highways — John Lathrop [Prudence Hatch’s husband] , John Guthrie, Timothy Hatch.
School Commissioners — Isaac Foote, Orsamus Holmes, John Hibbard, Josiah Lathrop.
Fence Viewers — Joel Hatch [Timothy’s brother], Ichabod Munger.
Timothy and Ruth’s grandson Jethro Ayers Hatch ( 1837 – 1912) was a U.S. Representative from Indiana in the 54th Congress (1895-1897) He was not a candidate for renomination and returned to Kentland, Indiana, resuming the practice of medicine.
v. Simeon Hatch b. 28 Feb 1760 in Kent, Litchfield, CT; d. 1 Nov 1760 Preston, CT
vi. Clark Hatch b. 16 Apr 1762 in Kent, Litchfield, CT; d. 7 Aug 1842 New Preston, CT; Burial: New Preston Village Cemetery; m. 9 Sep 1789 in Bethleham, CT to Polly Camp (b. 31 Aug 1760 in Bethleham, CT – d. 2 Nov 1834 in New Preston, CT) Clark and Polly had nine children between 1791 and 1808 in Kent, CT.
Clark Hatch, Fifer, Capt. Acter Patten’s co., Col. Samuel McCobb’s regt.; service between July 3, 1779, and date of discharge, Sept. 25, 1779, 2 mos. 20 days, on Penobscot expedition; mileage (76 miles) allowed. Roll certified at Topsham
vii. Joel Hatch b. 27 Aug 1764 in Kent, Litchfield, CT; d. 26 Mar 1855 in Sherburne, Chenango, New York; Burial: Sherburne Quarter Cemetery m. 5 Dec 1787 in Pos Sherburne, Chenango, New York to Ruth Gray (b. 16 Dec 1766 in Dover, Dutchess, New York – d. 7 Aug 1838 in Sherburne, Chenango, New York) Ruth’s parents were Nathaniel Gray (1737 – 1810) and Deborah Lothrop Gray (1730 – 1770). Joel and Ruth had eight children born between 1789 and 1808.
Joel died at age 90 years, 7 months; “He with others first explored Sherburne, Chenango, New York in 1791; was one of the 13 who first settled here in 1792; the last survivor of that number, the last Revolutionary Soldier in this town, and an active member in church and society. The fathers, were are they.”
The settlement of Sherburne occurred around 1792 near the present day Sherburne village. The town was named after the tune “Sherburne” which was written by Daniel Read in 1783. The early inhabitants had a habit of frequently singing the tune of Sherburne, which was a great favorite with them. Most of the earliest inhabitants and settlers of Sherburne were originally from the town of Kent, Litchfield County, Connecticut. Sometime around 1785 or 1786, the future Proprietors and Pioneers of Sherburne, New York left Kent, Connecticut and emigrated to Duanesburgh, Schenectady County, New York. After a few years residing at Duanesburgh, New York they had been unable to secure title to the lands on which they settled. It was at that point, that they resolved to move again as a body to the Chenango Valley, which had just begun to open lands in the Twenty Townships.
In June 1791, Deacon and Judge Nathaniel Gray [Ruth’s father], Elisha Gray, Joel Hatch, Abram Raymond, Newcomb Raymond and James Raymond, visited these lands in the interest of the company as an exploring party, accompanied by Josiah Throop, chief of the corps who had surveyed the tract that and the preceding years. On their arrival they found that a family consisting of five men, one woman and some small children from Paris, Oneida County, New York had squatted a few hours previously on Handsome Brook, and were occupying a bark cabin. There they found hospitable welcome through the night and in the morning was regaled by their hostess with new bread and beer, both her own making. This family remained but a short time, for they had left before the return of the exploring party.
The exploratory party examined the south-west quarter of the 9th township, containing 6,2221⁄2 acres, which they and their associates eventually bought of Colonel William S. Smith, to whom the township was patented by the state of New York for $1.25 per acre. The exploratory party returned to Duanesburgh with a good report sometime prior to October 9, 1791 for on that date, James Raymond married Melissa Burritt, the second daughter and child of Rev. Blackleach Burritt and the spiritual leader of the company and Martha Welles.
In the summer of 1792, the exploratory party returned, which was mainly composed of the original Proprietors, and settled in a cabin near Handsome Brook. During the later summer and fall, the exploratory party had accomplished the work they had set out to do, and they returned to their families in Duanesburgh, except Abram Raymond and his wife, Betsey Gray Raymond, the daughter of John Gray and Elizabeth Skeel and sister of Nathaniel Gray.
Within a year, the first settlers of Sherburne established themselves on their newly acquired plots. And it was not confined alone to the Proprietors and their families, most of whom arrived that time, but many of their friends and neighbors from Duanesburgh joined with them. The advance company arrived on a Saturday night in March 1793. Their first organization of the town was that of the Congregational Church of Sherburne, founded on July 6, 1794.
viii. Prudence Hatch b. 23 Apr 1767 in Kent, Litchfield, CT; d. 22 Dec 1841 Clinton, Oneida, New York; Burial: Sherburne Quarter Cemetery; m. 9 Jan 1794 in Amenia, Dutchess, NY to John Lathrop (b. 1 Mar 1762 in Amenia – d. 17 Jul 1825 in Sherburne, Chenango, NY) Prudence’s brother Joel married John’s niece Ruth. John’s parents were Melatiah Lathrop and Mary Hatch. John’s maternal grandparents were Captain Timothy Hatch and Deborah Newmcomb. His maternal great grandparents were our ancestors Simon NEWCOMB and Deborah LATHROP.
Souvenir of The Sherburne Centennial Celebration 1893
The spring and early summer of 1793 witnessed a lively emigration in this direction. And it was not confined alone to the Proprietors and their families, most of whom came on at that time, but many of their friends and neighbors joined with them, and others who had heard of the fertile and beautiful Valley of the Chenango came this way prospecting with the view of settlement. It was a part of the great overflow of New England, of that Yankee invasion of New York which had steadily extended its irrepressible advance all along the borders from the days of Wouter Van Twiller until now. In a comparatively short period the whole township was taken up and populated. There were the Grays from Beverly, Mass., by way of Windham County and Sharon, Conn., two of whom, Nathaniel [Joel Hatch’s father-in-law] and John Gray, Sr., had been soldiers in the French war, 1758, and the latter a member of the Committee of Public Safety in King’s District, present Columbia Co., during the Revolution, — both prominent members of the new settlement; there were the four Lathrop brothers, Capt. Josiah, Eleazer, John and Ezra, stalwart sons of Deacon Melatiah, who was of Kent, Conn., and Dover Plains and Canaan, N. Y., descendants of the honorable Lathrop family of New England, from [our ancestor] Rev. John LATHROP, the noted Dissenter.
9. Submit Clark
Submit’s first husband Samuel Thropp was born 17 Jan 1726 in Lebanon, CT. His parents were Samuel Throope and Dorothy Gray. Samuel died 20 Oct 1753 aged 28 years.
Submit’s second husband Lt. Simeon Hunt was born 13 Nov 1713 in Coventry, Tolland, CT. He was her first cousin. His parents were Ebenezer Hunt and Hannah Clark. His grandparents were Lt. William ClARKE and Sarah STRONG. He first married Hannah Lyman (1715 – 1758). Simeon died 26 Apr 1793 in Lebanon, CT.
Submit was a relict of Lieut Siemon Hunt age 82. Simeon served in the French Indian War in Capt. Barker’s Company.
Children of Submit and Samuel:
i. Samuel Throop b. 8 Apr 1748 Lebanon, New London, CT
ii. Elijah Throop b. 25 Oct 1749 Lebanon, New London, CT; 17 Dec 1756 Lebanon
iii. Submit Troop b. 14 Aug 1752 Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 22 Feb 1806 Coventry, Tolland, CT; m. 16 Nov 1769 in Coventry to Justus Richardson (b. 30 Sep 1743 in Coventry – d. 28 Aug 1813 in Coventry) Burial North Coventry Cemetery Justus’ parents were Amos Richardson and Rachel Yarrington. Justus had ten children born between 1770 and 1794 in Coventry.
iv. Simeon Throop b. 27 Jul 1753 Lebanon, New London, CT; d. 9 Oct 1753 Lebanon, CT
10. Beulah Clark
Beulah received a special provision in her father’s will “since God in his holy providence has not given to my daughter Beulah those powers and faculties to conduct herself and manage the affairs of the world as is common, 150 pounds and as much as needed for her comfortable support.” (Wyndham Probate Records, Vol.4, p388)