George KEMPTON (1563 – 1606) was Alex’s 11th Great Grandfather; one of 4,096 in this generation of the Miller line.
George Kempton was born in 1563 in Berwick Hill Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England. He married Mary JERSEY 11 Jun 1589 at St. Botolph Bishopsgate, Middlesex, England. George died 12 May 1606 in Berwick Upon Tweed, Northumberland, England .
Mary Jersey was born about 1567 in London, Middlesex, England. Her parents were John JERSEY and Mary HODGE. Mary died 04 Nov 1595 in Berwick upon Tweed, Northumberland, England
Children of George and Mary:
25 Feb 1589/90
Plymouth, Plymouth Colony
|5 May 1645
|2.||Ephraim KEMPTON Sr.||26 Oct 1591
Berwick-Upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England.
12 April 1617
Holy Trinity the Less, London.
|5 May 1645 in Scituate, Mass.|
20 Apr 1593
1 Nov 1595
|3 Jun 1596
or 14 Jan 1662/63
The direct male lineage is George – William – Robert – George Kempton/FitzAlan – Thomas FitzAlan Earl of Arundel‘
George’s hometown, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northampton is the northern most town in England. on the east coast at the mouth of the River Tweed. It is situated 2.5 miles south of the Scottish border. Berwick-upon-Tweed, the former county town of Berwickshire, Scotland. It was was lost by Scotland to England in 1482.
Founded during the time of the kingdom of Northumbria, which was part of the Heptarchy, the area was central to historic border war between the Kingdoms of England and Scotland for centuries. Between 1174 and 1482 the town changed hands between England and Scotland more than 13 times, and was the location of a number of momentous events in the English-Scottish border wars. Berwick remains a traditional market town and also has some notable architectural features, in particular its defense ramparts and barrack buildings.’
In 1603 during George’s time, Berwick was the first English town to greet James VI of Scotland on his way to being crowned James I of England – upon crossing Berwick Bridge, James is supposed to have declared the town neither belonging to England nor belonging to Scotland but part of the united Crown’s domain.
Berwick was never formally annexed to England. Contention about whether the town belonged to England or Scotland was ended, though, in 1707 by the union of the two. Berwick remains within the laws and legal system of England and Wales. The Wales and Berwick Act 1746 (since repealed) deemed that whenever legislation referred to England, it applied to Berwick, without attempting to define Berwick as part of England
1. Manasses Kempton
Manasses’ wife Juliana Carpenter was born 7 Mar 1584 in Wrington, Somerset, England. Her parents were Alexander CARPENTER and Priscilla (Druscilla) DILLON. Her first husband was George MORTON (George Mourt) (c. 1585 – 1624) Juliana died 29 Feb 1665/66.
Manasseh (also written Manasses) Manasseh went to Colchester, Essex where he may have become involved with a Separatist congregation. From there, he joined Henry Jacob’s Separatist congregation in London in 1620. He came over on the Anne as a single man in 1623. He married Juliana Carpenter before May 1627 in Plymouth Colony.
He was a freeman of Plymouth in 1633. He served as a deputy to the Plymouth General Court and on a number of juries and committees. He owned land in several towns besides Plymouth, including Eastham and Dartmouth, much of which he gave to his stepchildren.
Deputy for Plymouth to Plymouth General Court, 4 Jun 1639, 2 Jun 1640, 18 Jan 1643/44, 5 Jun 1644, 20 Aug 1644, 28 Oct 1645, 3 Mar 1645/6, 7 July 1646, 7 Jun 1648, 8 Jun 1649, 4 Jun 1650, 5 June 1651, 6 Jun 1660, 2 Oct 1660 .
Plymouth grand jury, 7 Mar 1636/37, 5 Jun 1638 ; petit jury, 3 Mar 1639/40, 1 June 1641, 6 Sep 1641, 7 Dec 1641, 7 Jun 1642, 6 Jun 1643, 5 Nov 1644, 5 Oct 1652;
Committee “to treat with the now partners … concerning the trade,” and committee to lay out highways for “Plymouth side,”1 Oct 1634;
Appointed Plymouth assessor, 3 March 1634/5, 1 Mar 1635/36; committee to regulate prices and wages, 5 Jan 1635/36; committee to reunite Plymouth and Duxbury, 14 Mar 1635/36 committee to allocate hay grounds, 20 March 1636/37; committee to make laws, 6 May 1639; committee to lay out land, 16 Sep 1641. Plymouth assessor, 20 Sep 1642, 9 Oct 1643, 21 Nov 1644, 4 Nov 1648, Nov 1649, 4 Nov 1650, 25 Nov 1651 . Committee to confer about the war, 26 and 27 Sep 1642. In Plymouth section of 1643 Plymouth Colony list of men able to bear arms .
1 October 1634 : “2. Apoynted for laying out of highwayes :
For Duxbery side, Capt Miles Standish, Mr William Colier, Jonathan Brewster, William Palmer, Steuen Trace.
For Plimouth, John Jeney, Fra: Cooke, Manaseh KEMPTON, Edward BANGS, Nicholas Snow, John Winsloe, James Hurst.
4. The high wayes to be layd out before the 15 of Nouember next.”
In 1640, Manasseh Kempton purchased two separate properties in the Town of Old Scituate from Henry Cobb. One was a 12 acre “farm” with a dwelling house on it in the then future village of Scituate. The other purchased property was an undeveloped 80 acre upland lot adjacent to the North River with an attached 12 acre marsh. It was the 80 acre North River property where the Kempton family first settled and is now located in the Town of Norwell not far from the village of Norwell. Ephraim Kempton 3rd of Boston and later of Salem sold a minor portion of this lot in 1672 to John Bryant and then sold the major portion of this property in 1675 to John James of Scituate (NEHGS Register, Vol. 153, page 437-8). Manasseh Kempton probably sold his 12 acre Henry Cobb Scituate village lot to Thomas Rawlins Sr., father-in-law of Ephraim Kempton Jr. Thomas Rawlins sold the Cobb village lot to Stephen Vinal of Scituate in 1752 (The Mayflower Descendant, Vol. 35, page 143).
23 Oct 1643 – Peregrine White of Marshfield, the first child born to the Pilgrims in the New World. sold to “Mannasses Kempton of Plymouth … planter … all those his uplands and meadows lying at the Eel River in Plymouth Township aforesaid lately assigned and confirmed unto the said Peregrine by Mr. Edward Winslow in the public court held at Plymouth the twenty-eight of September Anno Domini 1642″
14 Feb 1659/60- “Mannasses Kempton of Plymouth yeoman do … make over the abovesaid deed unto Ephraim MORTON my son-in-law,” reserving some portions of meadow for himself
22 Feb 1650/51 “Mannasses Kemton of Plymouth, planter”, gave to his “son-in-law Ephraim MORTON ” a parcel of land and a parcel of meadow at Sagaquas and his part and right in the land at Satuket. In case Morton’s brothers wished to settle on the land, Kempton ordered that it be divided equally among them.
22 June 1651 – Edward BANGS of Eastham, yeoman, and Rebecca his wife, sold to “Mannasses Kemton” of Plymouth, yeoman, forty acres of upland in Plymouth
Kempton was one of those having an interest in the lands at Punckateesett near Rhode Island March 1651 and he shared lot #34 with Nathaniel Morton
Manasseh Kempton was one of the Dartmouth Purchasers
On 21 Feb 1660/61 “Mannasses Kemton” of Plymouth, yeoman, deeded to Ephraim MORTON of Plymouth “the one half of all that his lot or share of land commonly called the purchase land lying and being at Acushena, Coaksett and places adjacent both upland and meadow”
In a letter dated 6 November 1661 Manasseh Kempton gave to the church of Eastham a parcel of land in that town
In 1662 Manasses Kempton sold Thomas Rogers 40 acres of upland in the area “Called the Barly necke….”
2. Ephraim KEMPTON Sr. (See his page) On December 1, 1640, Manasseh Kempton purchased the Henry Cob farm in Scituate. It was here that Ephraim Kempton and his son Ephraim lived. They were both listed on the list of persons able to bear arms in Scituate in 1643. The name Ephraim, Sr. was then crossed out being either too old or infirm.