Philip CALL IV (1707 – 1769) was Alex’s 7th Great Grandfather; one of 256 in this generation of the Shaw line.
Philip Call was born 26 May 1707 in Amesbury, Essex, Mass. His parents were Philip CALL III and Sarah TRESSWELL. He married Dorothy HADLEY 17 Jul 1729 in Amesbury, Essex, Mass. Research by Wyman descendants concluded that Philip’s spouse was a Dorothy Hadley, which disagrees with History of Dresden. However, there apparently was a divorce, and Joanna may have been the second spouse. Philip died about 1769 in Pownalborough, Maine
Dorothy Hadley was born 20 Jul 1712 in Amesbury, Essex, Mass. Her parents were Samuel HADLEY Jr. and Dorothy COLBY. Dorothy died 1793 in Corinth, Orange, Vermont.
Children of Philip and Dorothy:
|1.||Mary Call||4 Feb 1729 Amesbury, Mass||1730|
|2.||Phillip Call||27 Dec 1731 Amesbury, Essex, Mass||Deliverance Wyman
11 Mar 1758 Brunswick, Cumberland, Maine
|3.||Elizabeth Call||20 Apr 1734 Amesbury||Daniel Heath
2 Mar 1753 Amesbury
|4.||Dorothy Call||24 Apr 1736 Amesbury||Abraham Wyman
1753 Pownalborough, Lincoln, Maine
Pond Town, Maine
|5.||Ruth Call||3 Dec 1738 Amesbury,||1739|
|6.||Sarah Call||8 Sep 1740 Amesbury||1754|
|7.||Martha Call||6 Jan 1742 Amesbury,||1743|
|8.||Hannah CALL||20 Dec 1744 Amesbury, Mass.
Dresden, Sagadahoc, Maine.
|Charles B. WEBBER
|1782 Vassalboro, ME.|
|9.||Mary Call||21 Jan 1747 Amesbury||1748|
|10.||John Call (the child who, with his mother, was hidden behind the chimney)||4 Feb 1751 Amesbury||Sarah Lewis
Int. 29 Sep 1770
18 Oct 1770 – Dresden, Maine
1777 – New Hampshire
Inventory — 18 Aug 1769 in Pownalborough, Maine
Philip Call, late of Pownalbarough. John Call, of Pownalborough, Adm’r, 18 Aug 1769. Inventory by Samuel Goodwin, Robert Twvcross and Mathias Smith, 24 Aug 1770, £264 : 5 : 2. Account filed 12 Feb 1772.
The following excerpt is from The History of Manchester, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire. It describes an attack by “savages in the interests of the French,” a band of about 30 Abenaki.
On the 15th day of August , they made a successful attack on our frontier, on the house of Mr. Phillip Call, in Stevenstown. This town was subsequently known as Salisbury and the attack was made in that part of Salisbury, west of, and upon the Merrimack, now included in the town of, Franklin.
Mrs. Call [Sarah Trussell Call], her daughter-in-law, wife of Phillip Call, Jr. [Dorothy Hadley] and an infant of the latter, were alone in the house, while the Calls, father and son, and Timothy Cook their hired man, were at work in the field.
Upon the approach of the Indians, Mrs. Call the elder, met them at the door, and was immediately killed with a blow from a tomahawk, her body falling near the door, and her blood drenching her own threashold! [sic]
The younger Mrs. Call, with her infant in her arms, crawled into a hole behind the chimney, where she succeeded in keeping her child quiet, and thus escaped from sure destruction.
The Calls, father and son, and Cook, saw the Indians, and attempted to get into the house before them, but could not succeed. They were so near the house, as to hear the blow with which Mrs. Call was killed.
Seeing however the number of the Indians, they fled to the woods and the Calls escaped.
Cook ran to the river and plunged in, but was pursued, shot in the water, and his scalp taken.
The Indians, some thirty in number, rifled the house, took Mrs. Call’s scalp, and then retreated up the river.
The Calls soon notified the garrison at Contoocook of the attack, and a party of eight men followed in pursuit.
The Indians waited in ambush for them, but showed themselves too soon, and the English party taking to the woods escaped, with the exception of Enos Bishop, who after firing upon the Indians several times was at length taken and carried to Canada as a captive. “
And now the epilogue
1785-86: Ebenezer Webster moved from the Webster birthplace in West Franklin, NH to the vicinity of Elm Farm, building a large two-story tavern on land he had purchased from Sarah Call for £165. This tavern stood a short distance north of Elm Farm, on the road leading north from Concord toward present-day Franklin.
Daniel Webster was born on January 18, 1782, to Ebenezer Webster and Abigail Eastman in Salisbury, New Hampshire, now part of the city of Franklin. There he and his nine siblings were raised on his parents’ farm, a small parcel of land granted to his father. Daniel Webster’s great-great-grandfather was Thomas Webster(1631–1715), who was born in Ormesby St. Margaret, Norfolk, England and settled in New Hampshire. As Daniel was a “sickly child”, his family indulged him, exempting him from the harsh rigors of 18th-century New England farm life.
1799: Ebenezer Webster exchanged his tavern stand with William Haddock for the middle house connected with the orphans’ home, now a National Historic Landmark. In this home, Ebenezer Webster died in 1806. His farm is said to have encompassed 180 acres. It stood on the road leading north from Concord, encompassing the site where the northernmost fort on the Merrimack River had been erected in Stevenstown (later Salisbury) in 1746. This fort was commanded by Philip Call, who eventually obtained title to the surrounding land.
In case you forgot, Daniel Webster (18 Jan 1782 – 24 Oct 1852) was a leading American statesman and senator during the nation’s Antebellum Period. His increasingly nationalistic views and the effectiveness with which he articulated them led Webster to become the most famous orators and influential Whig leader. As a leader of the Whig Party, he was one of the nation’s most prominent conservatives, leading opposition to Democrat Andrew Jackson and the Democratic party. He was a spokesman for modernization, banking and industry. During his forty years in national politics Webster served in the House of Representatives for ten years (representing New Hampshire), the Senate for nineteen years (representing Massachusetts), and served as the Secretary of State for three presidents.
1806: Upon Ebenezer Webster’s death, the Elm Farm property passed to Webster’s sons Ezekiel and Daniel as tenants in common. His undivided half interest in the farm passed to his two daughters, whose guardian was Charles B. Haddock, Ezekiel’s and Daniel’s nephew.
1831: Daniel Webster purchased the other half interest in the farm from Haddock.
c. 1844: Webster reportedly added a wing to the western side of the old dwelling. This wing is shown in many photographs, but had been removed by the 1920s.
1847: Completion of the Northern Railroad permitted Daniel Webster to travel here from Boston in about three hours. Webster used the property as an experimental farm and vacation retreat. Many of his family, together with members of the pioneering Call family, are buried in the cemetery east of the house. Now enclosed within the grounds of Elm Farm, this burial ground originally stood beside the public highway extending north from Concord. In 1908, that road was bypassed by the present Daniel Webster Highway, which runs parallel to the Northern Railroad. The road south of the cemetery was discontinued as a highway in 1911.
2008: Webster Place Recovery Center, a non-profit, opened the doors of the Mack Creighton building once more – to help those in need of recovery from alcohol and drug abuse.
Philip, Philip Jr and Obadiah Call were among the settlers petitioning the Massachusetts government for protection from the Indians in 1760.
NEHGR 44:202-208 (1890) “Petition of inhabitants of Kennebec River for protection”
“See the History of Dresden, Maine, 1931, by Charles Edwin Allen, especially pp. 102-105, for discussion of the Calls, including descendants of Philip and his brother Obadiah who were early settlers, before 1739, of (now) Dresden, formerly part of Pownalborough, Maine. His roots were in Amesbury and Ipswich in Essex Co., Massachusetts, perhaps descended from a Richmond Calle of County Norfolk, England.
Philip Call and Dorothy his wife, of Richmond Co. York, Maine, sold to Obadiah Call of Comtoocook, in 1740, land in Amesbury, belonging to the said Dorothy.
2. Phillip Call
Phillip’s wife Deliverance Wyman was born 1738 in Falmouth, Cumberland, Maine. Her parents were James Wyman (1702 – 1766) and Bethia Millett (1709 – 1766). Deliverance died 1828 in Dresden, Maine.
Among the papers in the possession of Joseph Cate is a grant from the Plymouth Proprietors to Philip Call Jr. dated Apr 8, 1760 of 130 acres on the Dresden Neck near Swan Island.
Philip and Deliverance were early settlers in Dresden, Lincoln, Maine. The town was originally settled in 1752 under the name Frankfort by French Huguenots, who were part of the first wave of French speaking immigrants to arrive in Maine, but were distinguished from later arrivals by their Protestant faith. First called Frankfort, so that the new French immigrants could pretend to be German, the town was incorporated as Pownalborough in 1760, when Lincoln County was created in the Maine District of Massachusetts. Pownalborough included the Town of Wiscasset, which was soon set off on its own as the shire town of the county. When the present territory was incorporated in 1794, Lincoln County Probate Judge Jonathan Bowman chose Dresden as the new name of the town because he liked the sound of it. The name of Pownalborough was changed to Wiscasset June 10, 1802.
Dresden is located on the southern side of the Eastern River. Dresden also offers some historical sites as well, including an old, brick school building and the Pownalborough Courthouse, which is now used as a museum and is open to the public. The Pownalborough Courthouse was built in 1760 and was the first seat of government east of the Kennebec River. The families who settled Dresden and those who were soon afterward sent there by the government of Massachusetts played a crucial role in the battle for American independence in Maine. Robert Treat Paine, John Hancock, and John Adams appeared at the Court House in the Revolutionary Era. Well known local families included the Houdlettes, Mayerses, Bridges, Bowmans, Percys, Johnsons, and Trussells. Swan Island was set off from Dresden and incorporated as Perkins June 24, 1847.
Philip Call, late of Pownalborough. Deliverance Call, of Pownalborough, Adm’r, 24 Sep, 1787; Edmund Bridge and William Patterson, both of Pownalborough, sureties. [III, 162] Inventory by Richard Kidder, Samuel Emerson and George Lilly, all of Pownalborough, 4 Sep 1787, £340:16:0. Deliverance Call, guardian unto John, William and Philip, minor sons, Deliverance and Bethiah, minor daughters, 19 Mar 1789.
Account filed 19 Mar 1789. Obadiah, minor son, chose William Lewis to be his guardian, 19 Mar 1789. Margaret, minor daughter, chose William Lewis to be her guardian, 20 Mar 1789. Division of real estate by Jonathan Reed, James Goud and Louis Houdlette, all of Pownalborough, 7 Mar 1789: dower to Deliverance, widow; remainder to Philip and Charles, two of the sons, by consent of other heirs, James, Olive Allen, Elizabeth Patterson, Hannah, Lydia. Order of distribution, 2 Apr 1789.
Philip, Philip Jr and Obadiah Call were among the settlers petitioning the Massachusetts government for protection from the Indians in 1760. NEHGR 44:202-208 (1890) “Petition of inhabitants of Kennebec River for protection”
Pownalborough Marriage Intentions – Dec 13 1788, Samuel Goodwin, Esq., and Mrs. Deliverance Call. This publishment has been forbidden by Mrs. Call in presence of James Call and J. Braggly. [ I wonder what the story was. Philip had died the year before in 1787. James Call was Deliverance’s oldest son.
Children of Philip and Deliverance
i. James Call b. 19 Jul 1759 Dresden (Pownalborough), Lincoln, Maine; d. 17 Oct 1825 Dresden; m. 7 Oct 1786 in Dresden to Lydia Fitch (b. 1766 or 7 Dec 1772 Bedford, Middlesex, Mass – d. Oct 1835 in Dresden) Lydia’s parents were David Fitch (1743 – 1813) and Mary Fowle (1745 – 1829) [Note: David and Mary were married 3 Apr 1770]. James and Lydia had nine children born between 1787 and 1806.
Pownalborough Marriage Intentions – Oct 7 1786 James Call and Lydia Fitch.
In the 1810 census, James was living in Dresden, Lincoln, Maine with a household of eleven.
ii. Olive Call b. 17 Dec 1760 Pownalborough, Lincoln, Maine ; m. 17 Jul 1780 Pownalborough to Peter Allen (b. ~1757)
Pownalborough Marriage Intentions – Jul 9 1780 Peter Allin and Olive Call.
iii. Elizabeth Call b. 4 Jan 1763 Pownalborough, Lincoln, Maine; d. Aft. 1789; m. 7 Oct 1783 Pownalborough to William Patterson (1754 – 1799) William’s parents were James Patterson ( – 1768) and Margaret Howard ( – 1806 ). Elizabeth and William had six children between 1783 and 1796.
Pownalborough Marriage Intentions – Aug 19 1783, Wm. Paterson and Elizabeth Call.
iv. Philip Call b. 14 Aug 1765; d. 23 Mar 1818 – Swan Island (Dresden), Maine; Burial: in Call Cemetery, Swan Island, Maine m. 21 Jul 1788 – Dresden, Maine to Hannah Whitten (b. 20 Apr 1761 Topsham, Sagadahoc, Maine – d. 1822 Call Cemetery, Swan Island, Maine). Hannah’s parents were John Whitten (1730 – 1802) and Hannah Walker (1740 – 1825). Philip and Hannah had eight children born between 1789 and 1804 in Swan Island, Maine.
Pownalborough Marriage Intentions – Jul 21 1788, Philip Call and Hannah Whitten of Brunswick.
Swan Island is now the Steve Powell Wildlife Management Area. Swan Island, known for its abundant and often quite visible wildlife (especially nesting bald eagles, white-tailed deer and wild turkey), is actually an abandoned 18th and 19th century town called Perkins Township, and has long been recognized for its varied and interesting history. It was used by Native American tribes, early explorers, and settlers, and was reportedly visited by American historical figures such as Aaron Burr and Benedict Arnold. The Maine Historic Preservation Commission, with cooperation from the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife successfully had Swan Island added to the National Register of Historic Places. Each year, more than 4000 people visit Swan Island. The Island’s public visitation season runs from May 1st through Labor Day (with limited access through the fall). All access to the island requires reservation with the exception of self-access day visits. The number of visitors to the island at any one time is limited to 60. A ferry service, run by Inland Fisheries and Wildlife staff, transports visitors to Swan from the town of Richmond. Also included are island tours by flat-bed truck when trails are closed due to nesting season.
This may be the same as Philip Call 1765-1818.
Document offered on eBay, June 2006:
Lincoln Co ME. Dated 1804
Suit brought by Converse LILLY, yeoman against Philip CALL, yeoman…Dresden, …that the said CALL at Dresden…on the eleventh day of July in the year of our Lord eighteen hundred & four with force & arms a violent & unprovoked assault upon the body of the said Lilly did make & then & there with force ..the said CALL did in an angry & menacing manner lift against him said Lilly a certain pole called a Haypole & did strike at him said Lilly with said pole and did push & shove him said Lilly & other wrongs & injuries, etc….Also the aid Converse LILLY apprised that the said Philip CALL will beset him the said Lilly & beat wound and do him some bodily mischief….and burn and destroy Lilly’s dwelling house, etc…
Signatures of Converse LILLY ; Jon BOWMAN, JP and Louis HOUDLETTE Jr., Dep Sheriff. Also testifying, but not signing, for LILLY were Christopher WEBB Jr.; Isaac SMITH and Joseph MATHEWS.
v. Charles Call b. 11 Sep 1767 Pownalborough, Lincoln, Maine Maine; d. 1 Sep 1841 Dresden; Burial: Pine Grove Cemetery, Dresden Mills, Lincoln, Maine; m. 24 Mar 1797 in Maine to Susanna “Susan” Raymond (b. 26 Jul 1768 in Center’s Point, Bowdoin, Sagadahoc, Maine – d. 11 Sep 1858 in Dresden, Lincoln, Maine) Susan’s parents were Elnathan Raymond (1742 – 1814) and Dorcas Jellison (1742 – ). Charles and Susan had four children.
In the 1850 census, Susan was living in Dresden, Lincoln, Maine with her son Charles and his family.
vi. Lydia Call b. Bef 1768 – Pownalborough, Lincoln, Maine (an adult in 1789)
vii. Bethiah Call Abt 1769 Pownalborough, Lincoln, Maine; d. 15 Sep 1836; m. 20 Mar 1801 Age: 32 Dresden, Lincoln, Maine to David Clancy ( 7 Apr 1761 – 1849) David’s parents were David Clancy and Elizabeth Goux (1731 – ) Bethiah and David had at least two children: David (b. 1802) and Mary (b.1804)
28 Jun 1779 – David was a private in Capt John Blunt’s Company, Col Samuel McCobb’s regiment.
The Penobscot Expedition was an American naval expedition sent to reclaim Maine, which the British had conquered and renamed New Ireland. It was the largest American naval expedition of the American Revolutionary War and is sometimes thought the United States’ worst naval defeat until Pearl Harbor. The fighting took place both on land and on sea, in what is today Castine, Maine.
On Aug 1, 1779 General Solomon Lovell ordered a night assault on the Half-Moon Battery, next to Fort George, whose guns posed a danger to the American shipping. The Americans opened fire at 2.00 a.m. Colonel Samuel McCobb’s center column, comprising his own Lincoln County Regiment, broke and fled as soon as the British returned fire. The left column comprising Captain Thomas Carnes and a detachment of marines, and the right column comprising sailors from the fleet, both kept going and stormed the Battery. As dawn broke, the Fort’s guns opened up on the captured battery and a detachment of redcoats charged out and recaptured the Half-Moon, routing the Americans, who took 18 prisoners with them. Their own casualties were 4 men missing (who were killed) and 12 wounded.
The operation ended in disaster when a British fleet under the command of Sir George Collier arrived on August 13th, driving the American fleet to total self-destruction up the Penobscot River. The survivors of the American expedition were forced to make an overland journey back to more-populated parts of Massachusetts with minimal food and armament.
viii. Margaret Call b. Aft 1770
19 Mar 1789 – Margaret, minor daughter, chose William Lewis to be her guardian,
ix. Deliverance Call After 1770 – Pownalborough, Maine
x. Phillip Call After 1770 – Pownalborough, Maine
xi. Obadiah Call b. ~ 1773 – Pownalborough, Maine; m. 1792 – Dresden, Maine to Sarah “Sally” Goud (b. 10 Mar 1773 Pownalborough, Maine – ) Sally’s parents were James Goud (1738 – 1824) and Margaret Bonhotel ( ~1740 – ) Obadiah and Sally had five children born between 1795 and 1809.
19 Mar 1789 – Obadiah, minor son, chose William Lewis to be his guardian
Pownalborough Marriage Intentions – Dec 16 1792 Obadiah Call, Jun’r, and Sally Goud. [Since Obadiah is called a “Jr.” maybe he is a cousin] His parents may have been Obadiah Call and Experience Howling whose Pownalborough Marriage Intentions were published May 3, 1777.
Alternatively, Philip’s Obidiah may have married Sarah Richards
Obidiah’s son Obidiah Call b. 21 Nov 1803 – Dresden, Maine; d. 1 Feb 1827 – Dresden, Maine. m. Margaret Burke. Obidiah came to Newcastle, N.B. in 1823 to work as a millwright. Margaret was the daughter of a house carpenter in Newcastle who hailed from Co. Limerick, Ireland. the eldest of severn children. His son Robert Randolf Call was born in Newcastle, New Brunswick on 12 Sep 1837 and he died in Newcastle, N.B. in 23 Dec 1903. He married in 1862 to Annie Rankin Niven. Lt. Col. Robert Randolf Call was a businesman and consular agent, militia officer and sportsman and the high sherrff in 1897-1903. Robert Call studed at the newcastle Grammar school and had a interest in business and married at age 24. He was a very influential man in Miramichi. They raised 4 children , two that died prematurely.
xii. William Call b. 1780 Pownalboro, Maine; d. 12 Mar 1871 Swan Island, Maine; Burial: in Call Cemetery, Swan Island, Maine; m. 10 Jul 1817 – Dresden, Maine to Martha “Patty” King (b. Apr 1794 Dresden, Maine – d. 3 Oct 1874 Swan Island, Maine) William and Martha had nine children born between 1818 and 1833.
William’s parents are speculative. William & Martha Call, Philip & Hannah (Whitten) Call were buried in the same small graveyard on Swan Island, but William”s birthdate of 1780 doesn’t fit his being the son of Philip and Hannah, although, Philip’s alternative dates of 1740-1820 would allow him to be Philip’s from an unknown first marriage.
Swan Island is now the Steve Powell Wildlife Management Area.
3. Elizabeth Call
Elizabeth’s husband Daniel Heath was born 25 Feb 1734 in Haverhill, Essex, Mass. His parents were Samuel Heath (1698 – ) and Elizabeth Emerson (1699 – 1743). His grandparents were John Heath and Francis Hutchins. He was the 2nd great grandson of our ancestors Bartholomew HEATH and Hannah MOYCE as well as the great grandson of Joseph HUTCHINS and Joanna CORLISS. Daniel died 1788 in Coos, New Hampshire “while on a business trip to Coos county.”.
Daniel was evidently in that part of New Chester now Bristol as early as 1779, as his name appears on the tax-list of that year. In 1785, he was taxed for three acres of tillage land, twelve acres of mowing and twelve of pasturage. The amount of land under cultivation was more than that of any other resident of New Chester, except Cutting Favor and Benjamin Emmons, who had about the same.
At the first meeting of the new town of Bridgewater (1788), he served as moderator and was then elected as constable for the collection of taxes. He served as moderator at meetings held Nov. 3 and Dec. 15 of the same year. At a meeting held Apr. 2, 1789, Samuel Worthen was chosen a collector “to complete the collection of taxes for 1788, committed to Daniel Heath, deceased.” By this it would seem that Daniel Heath died between Dec. 15, 1788, and Apr. 2, 1789. He probably died after the annual meeting in March or the election of a successor would have. taken place at that time. His farm was that now owned by Hiram T. Heath, three miles east of Central square. The buildings were on the opposite side of the road from the present farmhouse.
Children and Elizabeth and Daniel:
i. Sarah Heath b. 26 Oct 1754 Plaistow, Rockingham, New Hampshire; d. 1830 – Stewartstown, Coos, New Hampshire
ii. Samuel Heath b. 22 Apr 1756 in Plaistow, New Hampshire; d. 13 Jun 1833 Bristol, Grafton, New Hampshire; m. Sarah Webster (b. May 1761 Candia, New Hampshire – d. 5 Jul 1839 New Hampshire ) Sarah’s sister Hannah married Samuel’s brother Joshua. Their parents were Stephen Webster (1741 – 1788) and Hannah Dolbeer (1742 – ) Samuel and Sarah had at least four children born between 1785 and 1803.
Bristol, Grafton, New Hampshire
“I give my mortal interest up, And make my God my all.”
Samuel was a Sergeant in the New Hampshire Militia in the Revolutionary War. He fought in the Battle of Bunker Hill. Wrote to brother Daniel that he had only 20 bullets that day he climbed the hill to fight the British and he fired 19 times.
Samuel was a resident of Plymouth NH 1779 to 1785, when he removed to Bristol. Mrs. Lewis Heath, a daughter-in-law, said he bought the Heath farm, in 1794, of his brother, Stephen. If so, it would seem that Stephen succeeded Daniel in the ownership. Samuel was a teamster as well as farmer and made trips to Boston for freight, occupying two weeks for each trip.
Eight years later while living in Plymouth, NH in June 1783, he heard of a little girl lost in the isolated wilderness near Warren, NH. Her home was 20 miles north east of where he lived and for 3 nights the same dream showed him where the child was. During this time nearer neighbors had been gathering at the Whitcher home and searching the area for little Sarah. Someone reported seeing a child’s footprints near those of a large bear. As the news spread, men and women came from greater distances like Wentworth, Rumney, Orford, Haverhill and even Newbury across the Connecticut River.
The men went out in search parties while the women brought food and cooked for them. It is said that one woman cooked a bushel of beans. A minister, Parson Powers, came to offer consolation. On the 4th day about noon, after a long hard trip along the trail marked only by blazed trees through the forest, Samuel arrived at the Whitcher home saying ‘Give me some dinner and I will find the child’.
As he was eating he told of his dream…that he found the lost child under a big pine top a few rods south west of where the path crossed Berry Brook, guarded by a bear. Some people laughed but Joseph Patch, the first settler in the town went with him. Hours passed and then the grieving family heard three shots, the signal of success. Mr. Patch guided him up the path to where it crossed Berry Brook. Then he followed his dream and found Sarah asleep under a pine tree.
She told of the ‘big dog’ that came to her, sniffed about her legs, lapped blood from her scratches while she rubbed his nose and put her arm around his neck. Then comforted and warmed by his presence, she placed her head on his shoulder and went to sleep. The ‘big dog’ had returned every night to keep her warm. When she was safely home there was a prayer of thanksgiving and all sang Old Hundred.
A resident of Plymouth 1779-1785 when he moved to Bristol. A farmer and a teamster making trips to Boston.
iii. Hannah Heath b. 9 Oct 1757 in Plaistow, Rockingham, New Hampshire; d. 17 Mar 1814 – Lower Intervale Cemetery – Plymouth, Grafton, New Hampshire; m. 29 Jun 1779 – Plymouth, NH to Daniel Clough Webster (b. 24 Nov 1756 in Chester, Rockingham, New Hampshire – d. 22 Feb 1814 Plymouth, NH) Daniel parents were Col. Stephen Webster (1718 – 1807) and his second wife Sarah Baker (1721 – 1765). Hannah and Daniel had ten children born between 1781 and 1800.
Daniel was a soldier in the Revolution and was with Captain Nehmiah Lovewell’s Company from February 9 to Mar 31 1778. Later, Daniel was a farmer in Plymouth NH. The Webster family moved from Hollis around 1765.
Plymouth is a town in Grafton County, New Hampshire, in the White Mountains Region, located at the convergence of the Pemigewasset and Baker rivers. It was originally the site of an Abenaki village that was burned to the ground by Captain Thomas Baker in 1712. Part of a large plot of undivided land in the Pemigewasset Valley, the town was first named New Plymouth, after the original Plymouth Colony in Massachusetts. Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth granted Plymouth to settlers from Hollis, all of whom had been soldiers in the French and Indian War. Some had originally come from Plymouth, Massachusetts. The town was incorporated in 1763. In 1806, then-lawyer Daniel Webster lost his first criminal case at the Plymouth courthouse, which now houses the Historical Society.
iv. Elizabeth Heath b. 6 Apr 1760 in Plaistow, Rockingham, New Hampshire; m. 1783 Canturbury, Merrimack, NH to Jesse Stevens (b. 22 Jan 1757 in Hampstead, Rockingham, New Hampshire – d. 9 Sep 1829 in Canterbury, NH Burial: Canterbury Village Cemetery) Jesse’s parents were Otho “Otto” Stevens (1726 – 1759) and Abigail Emerson (1737 – 1833) Elizabeth and Jesse had four children born between 1784 and 1794.
Jesse was a private in the militia regiment that marched in 1777 to relieve a garrison in Ticonderoga.
v. Joshua Heath b. 10 Sep 1761 in Plaistow, Rockingham, New Hampshire; d. 31 Jan 1832 in Groton, Grafton, New Hampshire; m. 7 Nov 1785 in Plymouth Grafton New Hampshire to Hannah Webster(b. 13 Feb 1767 Plymouth Grafton NH – d. 1 Mar 1842) Hannah’s sister Sarah married Joshua’s brother Samuel. Their parents were Stephen Webster (1741 – 1788) and Hannah Dolbeer (1742 – 1788). Joshua and Hannah had fourteen children born between 1786 and 1811.
vi. Phillip Heath b. 1762; m. Martha Best (b. 1780 in North Carolina); m2. Polly [__?__]
vii. Daniel Heath b. 22 Jan 1764 in Plaistow, New Hampshire; d. 14 Jul 1828 – Enfield, Grafton, NH or 15 Apr 1849 New Hampton, New Hampshire; m. 8 Mar 1785 to Joanna Ingalls (b. 1765). Joanna’s parents were Jonathan Ingalls (1750 – 1834) and Martha Jane Locke ( – 1785) Daniel and Joanna had seven children between 1786 and 1803.
m2. 20 Mar 1812 in Haverhill Grafton, New Hampshire to Tryphena Ladd (b. 23 Jun 1774 in Haverhill, NH – d. 1861 in Orford, New Hampshire) Tryphena’s parents were James Ladd and Hannah Locke. Daniel and Tryphena had four more children between 1812 and 1816.
Daniel was listed as a Drummer in the New Hampshire militia in the Revolutionary War. He enlisted in the Revolutionary army from New
Chester in June, 1780, when his age was given as 16 years. He was in the Continental service for five months. He also served in the War of 1812.
The marriage of Daniel Heath, Jr., and Joanna Ingalls was recorded as solemnized by Elder Ward, Mar. 8, 1785. A Daniel Heath m. Abigail Ingalls, dau. of Jonathan (See), Nov. 12, 1795, and a Daniel
Heath m. Judith George, of Sandwich, June 1, 1797. These three may be identical, but there is nothing to establish the fact.
viii. Mary “Molly” Heath b. 5 Feb 1766; d. 15 Mar 1804 – Bristol, Grafton, NH ; m. 14 Feb 1788 – Bristol, NH to Benjamin Kidder (b. 27 Mar 1766 in Bedford, Hillsborough, New Hampshire, NH – d. 11 Mar 1853 in Bristol, NH; Burial: Worthen Cemetery , Bristol) Benjamin’s parents were John Kidder (1736 – 1828) and Jane Lynn (1740 – 1833). Molly and Benjamin had seven children between 1788 and 1800.
After Molly died, Benjamin married 6 Sep 1804 to Sarah “Sally” Wiggin (b. 1777 in Candia, NH – d. 22 May 1839 in Bristol, NH) and had four more children between 1805 and 1809. Finally, he married 10 Nov 1839 Age: 73 Bristol, NH to Sarah Cross (b. 1787 in Rumney, Grafton, NH – d. 6 Jul 1861 in Bristol, NH)
The town of Bristol was incorporated in 1819. Extensive deposits of fine sand or clay similar to the “Bristol sand” used in Bristol, England to make fine china and pottery gave the town its name. Here the sand was used to make a superior quality brick, marketed as Bristol brick. With water power from the Pemigewasset River, the town was a center of manufacturing in the early days for goods such as paper, leather, woolens, flannel, bedsteads and piano stools.
Benjamin removed to Bristol, Grafton, New Hampshire in 1769, with his father’s family. He settled on the farm next about his father, where Fred Kidder later resided. Benjamin was a member of the Methodist Church for more than 50 years before his death.
In the 1850 census, Benjamin and Salley were living in Bristol, Grafton, NH.
ix. Stephen Heath b. 1768 in Plaistow, Rockingham, New Hampshire; m. 28 Nov 1799 to Anna Peaslee
4. Dorothy Call
Dorothy’s husband Abraham Wyman was born 2 Apr 1728 in Woburn, Middlesex, Mass. His parents were Thomas Wyman (1697 – 1745) and Dorcas Baldwin (1701 – 1745) His grandparents were Thomas Wyman Sr. (1671-1731) and Mary Richardson (1679-1743) and his great grandparents were our ancestors Francis WYMAN (1619 – 1699) and Abigail Justice REED. Abraham died in 1803 in Chesterville, Franklin, Maine.
Abram lived on Eastern River, near the Albert Ham house, in 1758, in Dresden, Maine. (Eastern River is now called Dresden Village.)
Abraham Wyman was the first white inhabitant of what is now Chesterville, Franklin, Maine. He began on the farm which has for several years been owned and occupied by Seth Norcross — about the year 1782. His family was the only one for about a year between Readfield or Mount Vernon and the Sandy River. (About 60 miles, though it is only about 16 miles from Mt Vernon to Chesterville.)
They lived in a quite lonely condition, having few if any callers or visitors, until Mr. Sewall and Mr. Linscott moved in, about three miles north of them. After this, (as Mrs. Wyman stated in after years,) Mrs. Sewall and Mrs. Linscott being sisters, used frequently to walk down to visit her, barefoot!
After a few years Mr. Wyman moved to Livermore. He did not reside there however many years, but returned and lived with his son Daniel. He died in 1802, his wife in 1817.
Lieut. Abraham Wyman came to the Province of Maine before 1756, and settled in Pownalborough (part that later became Dresden) where he married. He was an assistant to Capt. John North in surveying land and laying out lots on the western side of the Kennebec. He was also, employed as a teamster in building of Fort Halifax in 1756.
On October 12, 1768 Lot#12, located on the northwestern shore of Cobbossee Lake in Winthrop, was granted to Abram Wyman. He was chosen as highway surveyor in 1771. In 1781 he, Dummer Sewall and Samuel Linscott bought the tract of land that later became part of Chesterville. He moved his family there about that same time. The Wyman name appears on Lots# 6 & 10 in the southwestern part of Vienna on the 1802 map. Between 1802 – 1814 this part of Vienna was annexed to Chesterville and Fayette. In April of 1788 Abram Wyman wrote a petition as follows:
“To the committee for the sale of lands on the Eastern Departmant commonwealth of Massachusetts. The petition of Abram Wyman of a place called Wyman’s Plantation in the county of Lincoln. In behalf of himself and four sons viz. Abraham, Thomas, William and Luther, humbly shewth that whereas your petitioner in 1781 laid out a tract of land east of the Little Norridgewock Pond. In 1782 moved with his family containing a wife, four sons and two daughters, and has been at great expense in clearing roads, building bridges and getting it accepted by the court. It being 11 miles from any inhabitant at that time, and 18 or 20 miles from a mill for some years your petitioner has undergone many hardships occasioned by being the first settled in that part, and he humbly requests your Honors to recommend to the Legislature of the Commonwealth for a grant of land equal to his merit, sufficient for farms for himself and four sons – he has lived for forty years west of the Kennebec, has been burned out two times by savage Indians.”
This petition was signed by Mr. Wyman on April 12, 1788 and verified by signatures of several other settlers.
Abraham Wyman was the first white inhabitant of what is now Chesterville. He began on the farm which in 1875 was owned and occupied by Seth Norcross — about the year 1782. His family was the only one for about a year between Kingfield or Mount Vernon and the Sandy River. — They lived in a quite lonely condition, having few if any callers or visitors, until Mr. Sewall and Mr. Linscott moved in, about three miles north of them. After this, (as Mrs. Wyman stated in after years,) Mrs. Sewall and Mrs. Linscott being sisters, used frequently to walk down to visit her, barefoot! After a few years Mr. Wyman moved to Livermore. He did not reside there however many years, but returned and lived with his son Daniel.
Several of the early settlers in the central part of the town of Chesterville were singers. They sometimes met in their
camps to spend an evening in the practice of sacred music. On one of these occasions, (possibly when there were few if any families in the place,) they sung a tune named Chester, supposed to have been composed by Billings, and were much pleased w4th it. — After extolling the tune awhile their thoughts seemed to revert to their situation — only a few- — almost alone in the forest. Dummer Sewall proposed to call the new settlement Chester, a proposition which was agreed to without dispute. From that time to the incorporation of the town that section bore the name of Chester Plantation, while the southerly part of the
town was called Wyman’s Plantation, no doubt in honor of the first inhabitant, Abraham Wyman. When the settlers petitioned for incorporation as a town one of their requests was that the new town should be named Chester; but as there was a, town of that name in Massachusetts the legislature added ville, and the new town came up Chesterville.
Children of Dorothy and Abraham:
i. Daniel Wyman b. 1 Jun 1754 in Winthrop, Kennebec, Maine; d. 5 May 1832 Kingfield, Franklin, Maine; m. 24 Aug 1778 in Winthrop to Ruth Sears Wing (b. 20 Jun 1757 in Harwich, Barnstable, Mass. – d. 6 Jan 1835 in Kingfield) Ruth’s parents were Samuel Wing (1731 – 1786) and Hannah Sears (1734 – 1814). Daniel and Ruth had ten children born between 1780 and 1796.
Daniel enlisted enlisted Jun 1 1775 in Capt. Samuel McCobb’s company, Col. John Nixon’s 6th Massachusetts Regiment service, 2 mos. 5 days. Daniel’s name appears on ists of men returned as having voluntarily enlisted into the army in 1775, and also in 1776, and men supposed to have enlisted into the army for 3 years but not returned to the town, annexed to a petition of the inhabitants of Winthrop, dated March 10, 1777, asking consideration on account of their exposed condition. In 1804 Daniel was given the title “Captain.”Wyman, Daniel, Pownalborough.
It is stated in a historical sketch of the town of Winthrop that Daniel Wyman was at the battle of Bunker Hill. Certificate dated Cambridge, June 24, 1775, signed by Capt. Samuel McCobb, certifying that said Wyman and others belonging to his company, Col. Nixon’s regt., were in need of cartridge boxes and that each had received one, for which said McCobb promised to be accountable; also, Private, Capt. McCobb’s co., Col. John Nixon’s regt.; muster roll dated Aug. 1, 1775; . Daniel, Winthrop.Private, Capt. Samuel McCobb’s co., Col. John Nixon’s (5th) regt.; company return dated Camp at Winter Hill, Oct. 7, 1775.
During the battle of Bunker Hill the 6th Massachusetts Regiment, under the command of Colonel John Nixon, was positioned in the redoubt on Breeds Hill near Captain Jonathan Brewer and Captain William Prescott regiments. During General William Howe’s first attack on Breed’s Hill, Nixon was wounded and was withdrawn from the battle. The remaining members of the regiment withdrew when the redoubt was overtaken by Howe’s second attack. Nixon’s unit was one of the last to retire from the field.
Daniel’s first captain Samuel McCobb was a Colonel under Benedict Arnold in the 1776 Expedition to Canada.
History of Chesterville Franklin, Maine – 1875 — Daniel Wyman lived near the large spring, Daniel Wyman, son of Abraham Wyman, came from Readfield, built a house and resided a little north of him. He lived here till about two years after he was chosen Captain when he removed to Livermore. A year or two after, however, found him returned, with his father and mother. Not far from this date he built a house and began to reside where Franklin Currier now lives, which is on the same lot where he first built. He lived here quite a number of years.
He was somewhat noted as a hunter, and in the latter years of his life he was heard to say that he had shot one moose at least on every square mile for several miles around.
A few years after 1820 he sold his farm and moved to Kingfield, living with one of his sons. When almost 70 years old he visited another son residing near the Dead River. Here he was on the day that completed his ” three score and ten.” That day, with his favorite, the gun, well loaded, he made a hunting excursion, with one attendant. As they were in a canoe on the Dead River, they espied two moose swimming across. He was told to tire. “Not yet,” said he. The moose were soon climbing the river bank near each other. Then he fired. On examination it was found that the ball had passed through the vitals of one, killing it outright, and then broke a leg of the other, so that he was soon dispatched.
In another moose story, Capt. Wyman, his brother and Samuel Linscott, once went on snowshoes to Moose Hill hunting. They found three moose and each selecting his object, fired. Two dropped dead, while one remained almost or entirely unhurt. Their dogs worried this one to madness when it rushed towards Mr. Linscott; Capt. Wyman in the mean time loading for another shot. Mr. L. dropped his gun and siezed his axe, waiting the assault. ‘ The moose came rushing towards him, and just as he was crouching for his final spring, Mr. L. settled the axe into his head and thus killed him.
Thus he killed two moose at one shot the day he was seventy years old. Two credible persons informed the writer that they had seen the ball that executed this feat. In the days so far back towards our Revolutionary struggle, as were those that dawned upon the early settlement of this region, the military spirit prevailed. Wyman’s Plantation, with a part or all of the present town of Vienna, (then called Goshen,) united in forming a company of militia, some years before either town was incorporated.
At the organization of this company Daniel Wyman was chosen and commissioned Captain, and he continued in office about two years. He found the cost of uniforming and equipping himself, and the “treating” then customary, bore too heavily upon his purse.
He served in the Revolutionary War and has been known to say that he had taken as good aim at a mtin as he ever had at a moose. He rendered much assistance in 1804 and 1805 to the officers of the company in Chesterville, then recently organized.
ii. Abraham Wyman b. 9 Mar 1768 in Winthrop, Kennebec, Maine; d. bef. 1772
iii. Hannah Wyman b. 24 Apr 1769 in Pond Town, Winthrop, Kennebec, Maine; d. 24 Apr 1769
iv. Rev. Thomas Wyman b. 9 Aug 1770 in Winthrop, Lincoln, Maine; d. 1 Feb 1825 Livermore, Androscoggin, Maine; m. Sep 1790 in Livermore to Susanna Smith (b. 17 Jul 1775 in Readfield, Maine – d. 30 Mar 1825 in Livermore) Susanna’s parents were Elisha Smith (1750 – 1841) and Susannah Wing (1734 – ) Thomas and Susanna had twelve children born between 1789 and 1821.
v. James Wyman b. 16 Jan 1773 in Goffstown, Hillsborough, New Hampshire; d. 17 Jan 1773; Or m. Nancy [__?__] (b. 1766)
vi. William Wyman b. 13 Apr 1774 in Winthrop, Kennebec, Maine
vii. Dorothy Wyman b. 3 Jan 1776 in Winthrop, Kennebec, Maine; d. 3 Jan 1776 Winthrop
viii. Luther Wyman b. 7 Jul 1778 in Winthrop, Kennebec, Maine; d. bef. d. 9 Sep 1780 Winthrop
ix. Luther Wyman b. 9 Sep 1780 in Winthrop, Kennebec, Maine; d. 9 Sep 1780 or m. Martha Wing (b. 1781 – )
x. Betty Wyman b. 25 Feb 1785 in Winthrop, Maine; m. Feb 1802 to Joseph Wing (b. 7 Jul 1784 in Readfield, Maine – d. 1821) Joseph’s parents were Paul Wing (1760 – 1797) and Patience Trask (1762 – ). Betty and Joseph had ten children born between 1802 and 1820.
8. Hannah CALL (See Charles B. WEBBER‘s page)
10. John Call
When Indians attacked in Aug 1754, three and a half year old John crawled into a hole behind the chimney with his mother and kept quiet, and thus escaped from sure destruction. (See story above)
John’s first wife Sarah Lewis was born about 1748 in Boothbay, Maine.
Pownalborough Marriage Intentions – Sep 29 1770, John Call and Sarah Lewis, of Boothbay.
John’s second wife wife Dorothy “Dolly” Sanborn was born 29 Jan 1756 in Kingston, Rockingham, New Hampshire. Her parents were Benjamin Sanborn (1719 – 1806) and Dorothy Ladd (1730 – 1784). Dolly died 1775 in Franklin, Merrimack, New Hampshire.
Historical sources differ about which daughter-in-law did the hiding:
Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire: a …, Volume 3 By Lewis publishing company, Chicago 1908 states that “Mrs. Stephen Call, with her infant, crawled into a hole behind the chimney.”
However, The history of Boscawen and Webster [N.H.] from 1733 to 1878 (published 1878) says ” Mrs. Philip Call, junior, with her infant, crawled into a hole behind the chimney. “
Children of John and Dolly:
i. Mary “Polly” Call b. 1772 in Salisbury, Merrimack, New Hampshire; d. Andover, Merrimack, New Hampshire; m. 1 May 1796 Sanbornton, Belknap, New Hampshire to Jonathan Weeks (b. 19 Jul 1776 in Epping, Rockingham, New Hampshire – d. 28 Jan 1850 in Franklin, Merrimack, New Hampshire) John’s parents were Cole A. Weeks (1737 – 1801) and Hannah Chapnan (1739 – 1815) Polly and Jonathan had eight children born between 1796 and 1818.
ii. Hazen Call b. 24 Mar 1773 in Andover, Merrimack, New Hampshire; d. 26 May 1853 in Andover; Burial: Burial: Simonds Call Cemetery, Franklin, Merrimack, New Hampshire, Plot: 15; m. Catherine Ash (b. 1 Jun 1769 – d. 1 Oct 1858 Franklin, NH) Hazen and Catherine had six children born between 1802 and 1817.
In the 1850 census, Hazen and Catherine were farming in Franklin, Merrimack, New Hampshire.
iii. Dorothy Call b. 5 May 1784 in Andover, Essex, Mass.; d. 15 Mar 1870 in Newton, Middlesex, Mass.; m. Simeon W Cate Jr (b. 23 Jul 1787 in Sanbornton, Belknap, New Hampshire – d. 23 Feb 1883 in Franklin, Merrimack, New Hampshire) Simeon’s parents were Simeon Cate Sr. (1763 – ) and Abigail Piper (1762 – )
In the 1850 census, Simeon and Dorothy were farming in Newton, Middlesex, Mass.
iv. Eunice Call b. 17 Apr 1793 in Andover, Merrimack, New Hampshire; d. 10 Apr 1835; m. Moses Abbott (b. 3 Aug 1783 in Concord, Merrimack, New Hampshire – d. 18 Oct 1867 in Quincy, Norfolk, Mass.) Moses’ parents were Moses Abbott (1752 – 1837) and Mary Bachelder (1753 – 1833) Eunice and George had at least one son, George (b. 1825)
In the 1860 census, Moses was living with his son George in Harrington, Washington, Maine.
v. Abigail Call
vi. Daniel Call
vii. John Call
viii. Peter Call
ix. Stephen Call
History of Dresden, Maine, 1931, by Charles Edwin Allen, especially pp. 102-105, for discussion of the Calls, including descendants of Philip and his brother Obadiah who were early settlers, before 1739, of (now) Dresden, formerly part of Pownalborough, Maine.