Philip CALL III. (1684 – 1757) was Alex’s 8th Great Grandfather; one of 512 in this generation of the Shaw line. There is a plaque at their cabin site in Franklin, NH, then the northernmost New England settlement, noting that they were the first white settlers of Franklin, and that his wife Sarah was killed there by Indians on 15 Aug 1754.
Phillip Call was born 1684 in Newbury, Mass. Some sources say his father was John Cole, perhaps born in 1660, but they provide no other information. Other sources say that his father was Philip CALL II. While there are no records on Philip Call II’s marriage or wife, there are records of his birth and probate. He married Sarah TRESSEL 20 Jan 1706/07 in Amesbury, Essex, Mass. Philip died 10 Aug 1757 either at Stevenstown, NH or maybe at Ft. William. Henry in NY in battle.
Alternatively, (according to Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire: a …, Volume 3 By Lewis publishing company, Chicago 1908) “Philip Call is said to have been one of two brothers who came to America from England. Philip is known to have been at Contoocook (Boscawen), as early as 1733. He was the first settler in that township after the granting of the Masonian proprietors, and was subsequently made a grantee, as is shown by the records. ” This is hearsay evidence from a hundred year old book, but Philip CALL II has a spotty paper trail as well.
Sarah Trussel was born 26 Jul 1686 in Salisbury, Essex, Mass. Her parents were Henry TRUSSELL and Martha RING. Sarah died 16 Aug 1754 in Stevenstown, (later Salisbury) New Hampshire killed by Indians in an attack on her home.
Children of Philip and Sarah:
|1.||Philip CALL IV.||26 May 1707 Amesbury, Essex, Mass||Dorothy HADLEY
17 Jul 1729 Amesbury, Essex, Mass.
|c. 1769 in Pownalborough, Maine|
|2.||Obadiah Call||16 Nov 1709
|22 Jun 1787
|3.||Sarah Cole||8 Mar 1715 Newbury||Hezekiah Colby
3 Sep 1730 Newbury, Mass
|4.||Martha Call||7 Feb 1718 Boscawen, Merrimack, New Hampshire||Richard Jackman
Boscawen, Merrimack, New Hampshire
|5.||Moses Call?||9 Jan 1725/26
|Mehitable, Jackman||Boscawen, Merrimack, NH|
|6.||Stephen Call||9 Nov 1728
Portsmouth, Rockingham, New Hampshire
|Eunice Danforth||Was he killed at Ticonderoga NY in Rev. War?|
Philip has been called “weaver” of Amesbury,
Philip Call was the first permanent settler in Franklin NH. He was an Indian scout and killed in 1759. His wife, Sarah Trussel Call was also killed in a raid in 1754.
Philip is known to have been at Contoocook (Boscawen), as early as 1733. The native Pennacook tribe called the area Contoocook, meaning “place of the river near pines.” On June 6, 1733, Governor Jonathan Belcher granted it to John Coffin and 90 others, most from Newbury, Massachusetts. Settled in 1734, it soon had a meetinghouse, sawmill, gristmill and ferry across the Merrimack River.
During the year 1734 thirty-three settlers came to Contocook [sic] to begin, as it were, life anew in the wilderness. Rev. Mr. Price has handed down the names of twenty-seven only; but from a deposition made by Moses Burbank in 1792 the number is stated as being thirty-three as follows: David Barker, Sinkler Bean, John Bowen, Josiah Bishop, Andrew Bohonnon, Moses Burbank [future father-in-law of Nathaniel Danforth’s daughter Sarah], Philip CALL, Thomas Cook, John Corser, William Dagodon, William Danforth [son of John DANFORTH], Nathaniel Danforth [Stephen Call’s future father-in-law and son of John DANFORTH and Dorcas WHITE.], Joseph Eastman, Edward Emery, Edward Fitzgerald, Jacob Flanders, Richard Flood, [William Danforth’s brother-in-law], John Fowler, Stephen Gerrish, Ambrose Gould, Richard Jackman [Martha Call’s future father-in-law], George Jackman [Moses Call’s future father-in-law], Joel Manuel, Nathaniel Meloon, William Peters, Nathaniel Rix, and Daniel Rolfe. It is not probable that many of the settlers’ families came in the spring, but most, if not all, were there before the close of the year.
November 8, 1734, a meeting of the proprietors was held at the house of Archelaus Adams, in Newbury. It was voted that a saw-mill should be built at the charge of the proprietors, and Daniel hale, Joseph Gerrish and Thomas Thoria were chosen a committee to attend to the matter. The same committee was empowered to rectify a mistake made in the laying out of lots, and John Brown, the surveyor, was engaged to go to Contoocook to show the proprietors the locations of the lots.
Five of the proprietors–Joseph Lunt, John Coffin, Thomas Thorla, Benjamin Lunt, Benjamin Coker, and Edward Emery–entered their dissent in regard to the power of the committee.
December 18th another meeting was held. It was voted that the intervale should be fenced by the 15th of May the following year, at the expense of the owners of the lots, and any proprietor neglecting to build his proportion should make satisfaction. It was also voted that Joseph Tappan should obtain a grindstone for the common use of the proprietors. At this meeting further action was taken towards building a sawmill.
The year opened auspiciously to the settlers, for, on January 7th, a daughter was born to Nathaniel Danforth, the first birth in the plantation. The infant was named Abigail, grew to womanhood and married Thomas Foss, whose name frequently appears in the records of the town.
From the action taken in regard to the discharge of the bond given by the fifteen who obligated themselves to build the saw-mill, the evidence is conclusive that the mill had been created. “Voted that the bonds of the men, which have built the saw mill will be delivered & to lay out the bonds for building said mill according to vote as by record.”
It was a pioneer mill of this section of the Merrimack Valley. The saw-mills of that period were such as any carpenter might construct. This mill had no “nigger” wheel to move the “carriage” back after the saw had passed through the log; that labor was done by a man treading upon the cogs of the “ratchet-wheel,”–labor exceedingly fatiguing. For many years it was the only saw-mill in the town, and several of the houses now standing on King Street are covered with boards which were sawn in this first mill.
THE FIRST FORT–It was voted that a fort should be erected at the expense of the proprietors, the inclosure to be one hundred feet square, built of hewn logs, seven feet high and eight inches thick when hewn, “to be built three feet above the logs with such stuff as shall be agreed upon by the committee.”
From this record it may be inferred that there was an upper work,–a chevaux-de-frise of pointed, projecting timbers, designed to prevent the enemy from climbing over the wooden walls, which undoubtedly were loop-holed for the use of musketry.
It was voted to locate the fortification on the “school lot.” The probabilities are that it was erected a few feet south of that lot, near the spot upon which the first framed house was subsequently erected by Rev. Robie Morrill.
It being found that the inclosure was not large enough to accomodate the entire community, another fortification was erected during the winter. No record has been preserved in regard to the dimension of the garrison, but it probably was somewhat smaller, and designed as a retreat for the settlers on Queen Street in case of sudden surprise.
Through the years of trouble with the Indians, these garrisons served to protect the resolute men, who, during the most exciting times, when other frontier settlements were abandoned, never thought of yielding the ground to the foe.
The first attack of the Indians upon Contoocook was made about 1744, though the exact date is unknown. Josiah Bishop, who was at work in his field at the lower end of King Street, was surprised by a party of Indians. They took him into the woods, probably up the rocky hill west of the lower end of King Street. He made an outcry, and quite likely preferred death to captivity. As was subsequently learned form the Indians, he resisted bravely, and they dispatched him with their tomahawks. The capture naturally threw the settlement into commotion; but the citizens having located their homes, determined to defend them. The summer was one of great anxiety. The families took refuge in the garrisons, while sentinels were ever on the watch while the citizens were at work.
The chief item of interest in the call for the annual meeting of the proprietors in 1752 was the erection of a second fort. The meeting was held May 20th, and the following vote passed: “Voted to raise £200 old tenor to be laid out in building a garrison or fort & to be built forthwith and to be set on Samuel Gerrish’s lot which was originally laid out unto Richard Greenough, said fort to be one hundred & ten feet Square or otherwise as the committee shall Judge, allowing said building to cover the land.”
This second fort was erected on the hill. Messrs. Stephen Gerrish, Jacob Flanders, and Richard Jackman were placed in charge of the work. It is probable that this fortification stood on the site of the smaller fort, erected during the previous troubles.
Philip Call was the first settler as early as 1750 in Stevenstown, later Salisbury, later still Franklin, after the granting of the Masonian proprietors, and was subsequently made a grantee, as is shown by the records.
Under King George II New Hampshire returned to its provincial status with a governor of its own, Benning Wentworth, who was its chief magistrate from 1741 to 1766.
During the first two decades of Governor Wentworth’s term New Hampshire had been beset with Indian troubles. With little aid from England, then at war with its old-time enemy, France, the colonists undertook the sieges of Louisbourg, and helped to reduce Crown Point, and in the conquest of Canada. By the time of the signing of the Peace of Paris in 1762, and the end of the Indian fighting under the Rogers Rangers, the entire north country of New Hampshire was ready to be explored, surveyed, and populated.
Governor Wentworth who, as if in anticipation of this opportunity, seems to have been well prepared for it, had arranged the purchase for the sum of fifteen hundred pounds of the unauthenticated claims of Robert Mason, heir of Captain John Mason. This was done through a group of twelve influential citizens who called themselves the “Masonian Proprietors.” Having done this, the governor kept the land “within the province.”
Governor Wentworth, with all or most of the Masonian Proprietors as his councilors, then proceeded to grant towns to prospective settlers. In addition to the thirty-eight towns already granted, more than a hundred others followed after the year 1761. These towns contained lots available to more than thirty thousand families, many from the older towns in southern New Hampshire and Massachusetts, but many from other neighboring states. Some of these towns were located in Vermont, to be released later by a court order, which made the western shore of the Connecticut River the state boundary line.
Wentworth was authorized by the crown to grant patents of unoccupied land, and in 1749 began making grants in what is now southern Vermont, enriching himself by a clever scheme of selling land to developers in spite of jurisdictional claims for this region by the Province of New York. He often named the new townships after famous contemporaries in order to gain support for his enterprises (e.g. Rutland after John Manners, 3rd Duke of Rutland; Bennington he named after himself). In each of the grants, he stipulated for the reservation of a lot for an Episcopal church. Ultimately, this scheme led to a great deal of contention between New York, New England, and the settlers in Vermont. The dispute long outlived Wentworth’s administration, lasting until Vermont was admitted as a state in 1791.
In 1753 the grantees voted “to build four houses, and that Philip Call’s shall be one of them.” This shows that Philip Call already had a house there. His name appears upon the roll of Captain Jeremiah Clough’s Company as a scout, from September 26 to December 16, 1733. Captain Clough lived in Canterbury, and was a leading citizen of that town. For his service he received one pound and fifteen shillings, provisions being extra. Again in 1746, from July 4 to December 4, he was on scout service, [being out one hundred and fifty-four days] for which he received eight pounds and thirteen shillings, and again in 1747, from January 5 to November 2, receiving sixteen pounds, ten shillings and ten pence besides provisions and ammunition.
On the west the first settlement was at Hopkinton, in 1740, but the inhabitants of that locality abandoned their homes in 1746. The first settlement in Salisbury was in 1750, by Philip CALL, Nathaniel Meloon, Benjamin Pettengill, John and Ebenezer Webster [Daniel Webster’s father], Andrew Bohonon. These, with the exception of Pettengill and Webster, moved from Contoocook.
While still part of Massachusetts, the town was granted as Baker’s Town after Captain Thomas Baker in 1736. After New Hampshire became a separate colony, the town was re-granted by the Masonian proprietors in 1749 with the name Stevenstown, and settled as early as 1750. Additionally known as Gerrishtown and New Salisbury, the name Salisbury was taken when the town incorporated in 1768.
Orator and statesman Daniel Webster was born in what had been Salisbury in 1782. His birthplace is now located in the newer city of Franklin.
Have good info on Phillip Call (b. ca. 1684 Ipswich, MA – d. ca 10 Aug 1757 either at Stevenstown or maybe at Ft. William. Henry in NY in battle)
The following excerpt is from The History of Manchester, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire. It describes an attack by “savages in the interests of the French,” a band of about 30 Abenaki.
On the 15th day of August , they made a successful attack on our frontier, on the house of Mr. Phillip Call, in Stevenstown. This town was subsequently known as Salisbury and the attack was made in that part of Salisbury, west of, and upon the Merrimack, now included in the town of, Franklin.
Mrs. Call [Sarah Trussell Call], her daughter-in-law, wife of Phillip Call, Jr. and an infant of the latter, were alone in the house, while the Calls, father and son, and Timothy Cook their hired man, were at work in the field.
Upon the approach of the Indians, Mrs. Call the elder, met them at the door, and was immediately killed with a blow from a tomahawk, her body falling near the door, and her blood drenching her own threashold! [sic]
The younger Mrs. Call, with her infant in her arms, crawled into a hole behind the chimney, where she succeeded in keeping her child quiet, and thus escaped from sure destruction.
The Calls, father and son, and Cook, saw the Indians, and attempted to get into the house before them, but could not succeed. They were so near the house, as to hear the blow with which Mrs. Call was killed.
Seeing however the number of the Indians, they fled to the woods and the Calls escaped. Cook ran to the river and plunged in, but was pursued, shot in the water, and his scalp taken. The Indians, some thirty in number, rifled the house, took Mrs. Call’s scalp, and then retreated up the river. The Calls soon notified the garrison at Contoocook of the attack, and a party of eight men followed in pursuit.
The Indians waited in ambush for them, but showed themselves too soon, and the English party taking to the woods escaped, with the exception of Enos Bishop, who after firing upon the Indians several times was at length taken and carried to Canada as a captive. “
Google Map Directions from Franklin to Salisbury and Contoocook, New Hamphire, a few miles north of Concord
An account of this affair was forthwith despatched to Portsmouth, Andrew McClary of Epson, being the messenger. His account of the affair is thus noticed in the “Council Minutes.”
“PORTSMOUTH, August, 18, 1754.
The said Andrew being examined, declared that Eph’m Foster, and Stephen Moor acquainted the declarant that they were at Stevenstown the day after the mischief was done by the Indians and found the body of Mrs. Call lying dead near the door of her house, scalped and her head almost cut off, and upon further search, found the body of a man named Cook, dead and scalped. That the Indians were supposed to be about thirty in number according to the account of eight men, that upon hearing the news, went immediately from Contoocook to Stevenstown and in that way passed by the enemy, who soon followed them and seeing the Indians too many in number to engaged, they parted and endeavored to escape. One of the company, one Bishop, stood sometime and fired at the Indians, but was soon obliged to run. Cook was found dead by the river’s side. Bishop supposed to be killed and sun in the river, he being still missing,–that there were two men belonging to the plantation at a distance working in a meadow that as yet were not come in.1And it was feared they had fallen into the hands of the enemy,–that as the declarant had understood, all the inhabitants, consisting of about eight families were come down into the lower towns and had left their improvements, corn, hay, and cattle.”
Upon this information the council resolved,
“That his Excellency be desired to give immediate orders for enlisting or impressing such a number of men, as he may thing proper in this immergency, and dispose of the men, to encourage the settlers to return to their habitations and secure their cattle and harvest and to encourage the other frontiers in that quarter.”
Under this advice, Governor Wentworth issued the following order to Col. Joseph Blanchard of Dunstable.
Province of New Hampshire.
To Col. JOSEPH BLANCHARD.
Upon the mischief done by the Indians last week at Stevenstown, I have ordered a detachment from Capt. Odlin’s Troop of twenty-four horse and an officer to command, also the like detachment from Capt Steven’s Troop, to guard the inhabitants in that frontier until I can relieve them by a sufficient number of foot,–and as your regiment lies contiguous to the frontier where this mischief was done; I have thought proper to order and direct that you forthwith enlist or impress fifty men or more if you think that number is not sufficient, and put them under an officer that you can confide in and order them forthwith to march to Contoocook and Stevenstown to relieve the detachment of horse posted there. The troops you send on this order are to remain until I have seen the members of the General Assembly who I have given orders to be convened on this occasion, that the troops may be sure both of pay and subsistence. Given at Portsmouth, Aug., 19 1754.
Col. Blanchard detailed Captain John Goffe of Amoskeag for this duty, who marched to the scene of action and scouted for some days in that vicinity, but without discovering the Indians. Among his men from Amoskeag, were Caleb Paige, Joshua Martin, Wm. Morse, John Harwood, Josiah Parker, Archibald Stark, Lemuel Hogg, Thomas Grear, John Barrett, James McNeil, and Robert Rogers, all men of note in the annals of Amoskeag.
The promptness of Governor Wentworth in this emergency and the effective force detailed, preserved the inhabitants of the Merrimack Valley from any farther molestation.
Bishop was carried to Canada, where he arrived after a tedious journey of thirteen days. After tarrying in captivity a year, he effected his escape, and after a journey of eighteen days through the wilderness, suffering intensely from hunger and fatigue, he arrived at Number Four, now Charleston, from whence he returned to his family at Contoocook.
Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire: a …, Volume 3 By Lewis publishing company, Chicago 1908
Philip Call is said to have been one of two brothers who came to America from England. Philip is known to have been at Contoocook (Boscawen), as early as 1733. He was the first settler in that township after the granting of the Masonian proprietors, and was subsequently made a grantee, as is shown by the records. In 1753 the grantees voted “to build four houses, and that Philip Call’s shall be one of them.” This shows that Philip Call already had a house there. His name appears upon the roll of Captain Jeremiah Clough’s Company as a scout, from September 26 to December 16, 1733. For his service he received one pound and fifteen shillings, provisions being extra. Again in 1746, from July 4 to December 4, he was on scout service, for which he received eight pounds and thirteen shillings, and again in 1747, from January 5 to November 2, receiving sixteen pounds, ten shillings and ten pence. The Call family was noted for the muscular activity, swiftness of foot and bravery in Indian fighting of its members. The site of the Call house is to be seen and easily recognized by a pile of broken bricks and stones, which once constituted the chimney, and a large apple tree in close proximity. The site is on the “Orphan’s Home Farm,” southwest from the house on the west side of the railroad track, a mile north of the Boscawen line, and near the Salisbury fort.
Indians, under Captain John Sasup, attacked the place where the family resided, August 15, 1754. Philip, his son Stephen, and Timothy Cook, whose father had been killed in 1746 at Clay hill, were at work in a field and witnessed the attack. Mrs. Call and her son’s wife and infant were in the house. Upon the approach of the Indians, Mrs. Philip Call met them at the door, and was instantly killed by a blow from a tomahawk. She fell across the threshold. Mrs. Stephen Call, with her infant, crawled into a hole behind the chimney. The Indians, about thirty in number, rifled the house, but she succeeded in keeping her child quiet, and was not discovered. When the savages appeared and the purpose of their visit became evident, Stephen wanted to shoot at them, but his father, discovering that there was a large party, would not let him do so for fear the Indians would kill them. The Indians seeing the three whites, pursued them. Cook fled toward the Merrimack, plunged in, but was shot and scalped. Philip took the path for the fort at Contoocook (Boscawen), but finding the Indians close upon his heels, plunged into the Merrimack river and swam to the Canterbury shore. The Indians still pursuing, he swam to the western shore, and thus continuing, he swam back and forth six times, and eventually reached the fort. Stephen ran into the woods and saved himself only by dropping his “nice new hat,” which so pleased his pursuers, that while examining it he escaped.
Philip served in Colonel Nathaniel Meseroe’s Regiment. Captain John Titcomb’s Company, in the expedition against Crown Point in 1757.
It is said that Philip Call built the house subsequently occupied by Colonel Ebenezer Webster as a tavern. His son may have owned it, as Philip died previous to November 28, 1763. and probably before 1759, and was buried in the eastern side of the Webster yard. His wife’s name is not known. We have a record of children, Stephen and Sarah. Sarah Call, of Durham, spinster, by deed dated May 30, 1759. for one hundred pounds old tenor, conveyed to Stephen Call one-half of two tracts of land in Contoocook, which she had of her father, Philip Call
The history of Boscawen and Webster [N.H.] from 1733 to 1878 by Charles Carlton Coffin 1878
There is but one municipality in the world bearing the name of Boscawen. The township, thus named for Lord Boscawen of the English navy, is situated on the west bank of Merrimack river in New Hampshire. Originally it was seven miles square, and, from the date of its settlement in 1733 to 1760, bore the Indian name Contoocook. After a corporate existence of one hundred years, from 1760 to 1860, the township was divided into two parts nearly equal in area, the eastern retaining the original corporate name, the western taking the name of Webster, in honor of America’s great orator, jurist, and statesman, who received his education, in part, in Boscawen, and who for three years was one of its honored citizens.
In the spring of 1734, the proprietors of Contoocook made prepy*- aration to comply with the conditions of their grant. Those intending to settle in the plantation left their homes in April. The route was from Newbury to Haverhill, or Hampstead to Nutfield (Derry), thence to Amoskeag falls, and from thence, by the east side of the Merrimack, to Penacook ferry, which had been established 1731. [Hist. Concord, p. 101.] Another route, leading from Newbury to Chester, thence to Pembroke, had been blazed through the woods in 1726, but the road through Derry was the oue most travelled.
During the year, thirty-three settlers came to Contoocook, to begin, as it were, life anew in the wilderness. Rev. Mr. Price has handed down the names of twenty-seven only; but from a deposition made by Moses Burbank in 1702 [Col. Henry Gerrish’s papers] the number is stated as being thirty-three.
David Barker, William Dagodon, Sinkler Bean, William Danforth, John Bowen, Nathaniel Danforth, Josiah Bishop, Joseph Eastman, Andrew Bohonnon, Andrew Emery, Moses Burbank, Edward Fitzgerald, Philip CALL, Jacob Flanders, Thomas Cook, Richard Flood, John Corser, John Fowler, Stephen Gerrish, Nathaniel Meloon, Ambrose Gould, William Peters, Richard Jackman, Nathaniel Rix, George Jackman, Daniel Rolfe, Joel Manuel
In imagination we see them toiling through the forest, following the rude path from Nuffield (Derry) up to Suncook, across the “dark plains” in Concord, crossing the Merrimack just above the mouth of the Contoocook.
Upon the intervale are open spaces where the grass grows luxuriantly, but everywhere else they behold an unbroken forest. Ascending the high bank, they come to the blazed lines where John Brown has laid out the new town. There is no house to shelter them. The first nights they spend beneath the shelter of the trees. They select the sites for their log houses. The forest resounds with the sturdy strokes of their axes. They have a single plow, owned by Stephen Gerrish. The oxen are yoked to it, and the virgin soil of the intervale, which has lain undisturbed since the morning of creation, is turned to the sun. Ere many days have passed, each man has a cabin built of logs, covered with bark, or with long shingles rived from some giant pine.
1. Philip CALL IV. (See his page)
2. Obadiah Call
Obadiah’s first wife Eleanor was born about 1720.
Obadiah’s second wife Experience Howland was born about 1740. Experience died after 1787.
Philip CALL IV and Dorothy his wife, of Richmond Co. York, Maine, sold to Obadiah Call of Comtoocook, in 1740, land in Amesbury, belonging to the said Dorothy.
“Obadiah Call, the first of that Christian name to live in Dresden Maine, had wife Eleanor; sons Obadiah and Stephen. His holdings of land were more extensive than those of any others of the family. April 7, 1781, he conveyed to Obadiah Call, Jr., 215 acres, situated on Dresden Neck opposite to Little Swan Island, which land appears to have included that which he took by grant from the Proprietors; and to his son Stephen he on the same day conveyed lots Nos. 21 and 22 situate east of Eastern River; the consideration in both transactions being love and good-will…. Philip and Obadiah Call, ‘first settlers’ here, can be traced to Amesbury and Ipswich in Essex County, Massachuesetts, to which their progenitors appear to have come from England.
One Richard Calle long held a position of trust under the Paston family of County Norfolk, England, and he is many times mentioned in the Paston Letters” (Hist. Dresden, 163-165) (See Thomas CALL’s page for details)
Philip, Philip Jr and Obadiah Call were among the settlers petitioning the Massachusetts government for protection from the Indians in 1760. NEHGR 44:202-208 (1890) “Petition of inhabitants of Kennebec River for protection”
Probate, Pownalborough, Maine in Pownalborough, Maine
Obadiah Call, late of Pownalborough. Experience Call, of Pownalborough, widow, Admn’r, 22 Jun 1787; Edmund Bridge and Caleb Barker, both of Pownalborough, sureties. [III, 160] Inventory by William Lewis, Asa Dinsmore and Richard Kidder, all of Pownalborough, 29 Jun 1787 [III, 247-249]
There were several generations of Obadiah Calls in Dresden, Maine
Obdiah’s son Obidiah Call b. 1749 in Maine d. 10 Dec 1821, Dresden, Maine m. Abigail [__?__](c.1752 – Bef May 1777)
Obdiah’s grandson Obidiah Call b. ca. 1770 – Pownalborough, Maine; d. 10 Dec 1821; m. 8 Dec 1796 – Woolwich, Maine to Elizabeth Rittal (Jul 1772 – 10 Dec 1821)
3. Sarah Cole
Sarah’s husband Hezekiah Colby was born 25 Mar 1710 in Amesbury, Essex, Mass. His parents were Samuel Colby and Dorothy Ambrose. Hezekiah died 17 Jul 1788 in Deer Isle, Maine.
4. Martha Call
Martha’s husband Richard Jackman was born 17 Oct 1709 in Newbury, Essex, Mass. His parents were Richard Jackman and Elizabeth Major. Richard died in 1761 in Boscawen, Merrimack, New Hampshire
“History of Boscawen and Webster, From 1733 to 1878” by Charles Carleton Coffin, 1878. page 312
Richard Jackman was brother of George, born in Newbury, Oct. 17, 1709. He married Martha Call, daughter of Philip Call, who was a vigilant citizen durning the war with the Indians. Mrs. Jackman’s mother was killed by the Indians at South Franklin.”
Children of Martha and Richard:
i. Richard Jackman b. 6 Oct 1740 Canterbury, Merrimack, New Hampshire
ii. John Jackman b. 24 Aug 1743 Merimack, New Hampshire; d. Mar 1813 Boscawen, Merrimack, New Hampshir; m. Mary Danforth (b. 1745 Boscawen, Merrimack, New Hampshire – ) Mary’s parents were William Danforth and Ann Flood. Her paternal grandparents were our ancestors John DANFORTH and Dorcas WHITE. John and Mary had ten children born between 1764 and 1787.
iii. Moses Jackman b. 26 Apr 1746 Boscawen, Merrimack, New Hampshire;
iv. Samuel Jackman b. 17 Mar 1749 Boscawen, Merrimack, New Hampshire;
v. Sarah Jackman b. 29 Sep 1755 Boscawen, Merrimack, New Hampshire;
5. Moses Call
Moses’ wife Mehitable, Jackman was born 1730 in Boscawen, Merrimack, New Hampshire. Her parents were George Major Jackman (1707 – 1795) and Hannah Bishop (1708 – 1745). Mehitable died 19 Oct 1809 in Merrimack, New Hampshire.
CAPTAIN KIMBALL’S DIARY
July 1st 1777, order came from Col. Stickney to me, to muster and Equip one Quarter part of the Company to mark at a minits warning, and in consequence of the same, we met to git the men.
July 4, orders came to march 13 men Immediately to tie [Ticonderoga]
saterday we marcht to perrytown [Sutton] and Loged thare
Sunday 6, we marcht to Unity and Loged thare.
Monday 7, we marcht to No. 4 and Loged thare and drawd 4 Day allowance.
tuesday 8, we marcht to Cavendysh and Loged thare.
Wendesy 9, we marcht to No. 4 again.
thursday 10th, we marcht to Unit and Loged.
fryday 11, we marcht home.”
The men engaged in this service were,–Colonel Henry Gerrish, Captain Peter Kimball, Captain Peter Coffin, Lieut. Enoch Gerrish, Lieut. Moses Call, Nathan Corser, Samuel Clifford, Deacon Jesse Flanders, Enos Flanders, Nathaniel Atkinson, Simeon Atkinson, George Jackman Jr., John Morrill, Deacon Isaac Pearson, Daniel Clark, Daniel Shepherd, John Manuel, Michael Sargent, James French, Benjamin Sweatt, Moses Jackmen.
Boscawen Town Officers
1766–Joseph Eastman, moderator; Moses Burbank, Moses Call, Henry Gerrish, selectmen.
1771–Moses Morse, moderator; Winthrop Carter, Moses Call, Moses Morse, selectmen.
1775–Stephen Webster, moderator; Moses Call, Enoch Gerrish, George Jackman, selectmen; Henry Gerrish, delegate to State Convention.
6. Stephen Call
Stephen’s wife Eunice Danforth was born 3 Dec 1727 in Rowley, Essex, Mass. Her parents were Nathaniel Danforth (1703 – 1799) and Priscilla Wicom (1706 – ). Her grandparents were John DANFORTH and Dorcas WHITE.
Stephen like his father, did scout duty, serving in Captain Jeremiah Clough’s Company one month and three days. In Captain Ladd’s Company he did scout duty about Canterbury and Concord, in 1746, receiving for his services one pound and ten shillings. He also served in Captain Goff’s Company, scouting on the frontier from May 28 to July 15. 1748, receiving four pounds, fourteen shillings and three pence, and in Captain Ebenezer Webster’s Company, Colonel Nichol’s Regiment, in the Rhode Island campaign of 1776. He was chosen one of the selectmen at the first town meeting after the incorporation of the town and subsequently held other offices. “He was a man of character and ability. He married a sister of Nathaniel Danforth, who settled at Franklin, formerly Andover, about 1750. She died in 1816, and he a few years later. Their children were: John, Nathaniel, Philip, Sarah and Susannah. This John Call was the first white child born in Salisbury.
Some say Stephen may have been killed at Ticonderoga NY in Rev. War. Stephen’s son their son
Children of Stephen and Eunice:
i. John Call
Reverend John C. Call settled in Wisconsin.
Some say that the John Call was actually Philip CALL IV’s nephew, the son of his brother Stephen Call (b. 1728) and Eunice Danforth.
Historical sources differ about which daughter-in-law hid their son John from Indian attack.
Genealogical and family history of the state of New Hampshire: a …, Volume 3 By Lewis publishing company, Chicago 1908 states that “Mrs. Stephen Call, with her infant, crawled into a hole behind the chimney.”
However, The history of Boscawen and Webster [N.H.] from 1733 to 1878 (published 1878) says ” Mrs. Philip Call, junior, with her infant, crawled into a hole behind the chimney. “
ii. Nathaniel Call b. 1764 Salisbury NH; m. 11 Dec 1783 – Sanbornton, Belknap, New Hampshire to Sarah Chapman
Name: Nathaniel Call
Annual Allowance: $43.33
Description of service: New Hampshire continental line
When placed on the pension roll: June 2, 1834
Commencement of pension: March 4, 1831
iii. Philip Call
iv. Sarah Call
v. Susannah Call
The history of Boscawen and Webster [N.H.] from 1733 to 1878 1878 compiled by Charles Carlton Coffin
Pingback: Philip Call Jr. | Miner Descent
Pingback: Philip Call III | Miner Descent
Pingback: Henry Trussell | Miner Descent
Pingback: Samuel Hadley Jr. | Miner Descent
Pingback: Untimely Deaths | Miner Descent
Pingback: Missing Parents | Miner Descent
Pingback: Philip Call 1657 | Miner Descent
Please …Stephen did not marry Chapman his son did…He married Eunice Danforth…
History of Sanbornton…History of Andover…History of Salisbury and Danforths Genealogy
Thanks for the update
Pingback: John Danforth | Miner Descent
Pingback: The CALL and GREELEY Families of Boscawen, New Hampshire | Cow Hampshire