Leendert Arentsen De GRAUW (c. 1601 – 1664) was Alex’s 12th Grandfather; one of 8,192 in this generation of the Shaw line.
Leendert Arentsen De Grauw was born about 1601 at Aalsmeer, Noord Holland, Netherlands. His birth is based on his testimony that he was 44 years old in 1645 (See below). He married Leuntje Janje LYDECKER about 1619 at Amsterdam. He immigrated on 7 Sep 1637 from Amsterdam to New Amsterdam with wife and children on the Dolphin. Leendert died March 1664 at New Amsterdam at 63 years of age.
Leuntje Janse Lydecker was born about 1600 at Amsterdam. Her parents were Jan Albertse LYDECKER and [__?__]. Leuntje died about 1668 at New Amsterdam at 68 years of age.
Children of Barent and Marretje:
|1.||Marritje De GRAUW||1617 in Aalsmeer, Noord, Holland, Netherland.||Barent Jacobsen KOOL
Esopus (Kingston), NY
Kingston, Ulster, NY
|2.||Cornelia De Grauw||1625
Noord, Sint Anthonis, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
|Died young or After 1650|
|3.||Aefje De Grauw||1630||Jan Perie
05 Feb 1655 at New Amsterdam
Cornelius Andriesen Hoogland
23 July 1661
|4||Albert De Grauw||c. 1632||Arriantje Cornelis Trommels
18 Nov 1656 Reformed Dutch Church, New Amsterdam
|5.||Arent De Grauw||c. 1634||Gysbertje Harmen Coerten
(daughter of Harmen COERTEN)
30 Jan 1660 at New Amsterdam
Marritje Hendrickse Gerrits
16 July 1679
New York City
|betw. 1686- 1690
New York City
“Den Dolphyn“, left the Texel area of the Netherlands on 7 Sep 1637 and arrived in New Amsterdam on or about 28 Mar 1638. Schipper (Captain): Jacob Teunesen. In September 1637, the skipper of the “Dolphin” hailed his brother skipper of the “Herring.” He was in very poor trim for an ocean voyage to New Amsterdam to which port he was bound; his vessel was leaking badly; he had no carpenter, and his crew stoutly refused to go to sea without one. Could the skipper of the “Herring” do anything for him? On board the “Herring” was a young carpenter named Pieter Cornelissen, whom the skipper of his vessel was able to spare; and as he was willing to go, he embarked on board of the “Dolphin” and reached New Amsterdam in safety, after many months at sea, never to return to Holland. Most of which was a stormy and perilous voyage in which most of the cargo was ruined. Yatchs back then were only able to carry about 20-30 lasts, 40-60 tons, of cargo and about the size of maybe two large school buses, being on a stormy sea could make even the strongest of men feel small and alone.
On April 19, 1638, the crew of the Den Dolphyn made a formal complaint to the provincial secretary about how the ship leaked during the voyage and that the captain had not provided enough food for the passengers. Leendert and his future son-in-law Barent Jacobsen Kool testified that several children belonging to Jan Schepmoes and his wife didn’t receive enough food.
Andries Hudde and Jan Lapalt, Commissary Pietersen and Skipper Derksen told that the Captain of the “Dolphin,” Jacob Teunesse of Amsterdam, had complained, before sailing, of the leaky condition of the ship.
More details of the case against the crew of the ship is detailed in “New York Historical Manuscripts Dutch” by Arnold J. E. Van Laer (Vol. 2, Item 139g) when the case was continued during town minutes from 1645. So far this is the last entry found about the ocean crossing of our troublesome, but ultimately succesful, ship in her career as a transport.
“Before me, Cornelis van Tienhoven, secretary of New Netherland, appeared Leendert Arentsz. aged forty-four years, and Barent Jacobsz. aged thirty-four years, who at the request of Jan Jansz. Schepmoes jointly attest, testify and declare, in place and with promise of a solemn oath if necessary and required, that it is true and truthful that they arrived here in the year 1638 in the ship “Den Dolphyn”, on board of which were then also Jan Schepmoes, his wife and two children, of which children during the voyage one received half rations and the younger being a sucking babe, never received any ship’s food. All of which they, the deponents, offer to confirm.
Done in Fort Amsterdam in New Netherlands, the 12th of January 1645.
This is the X mark of Leendert Arenden
Barent Jacobsz. Cool
Acknowledged before me, Cornelis van Tienhoven, Secretary”
According to “Ships and Work boats of New Netherland, 1609-1674” by Charlotte Wilcoxen (p. 64), a yatch listed as “De Dolphijn”, along with the yatch “Abraham’s Offerhande”, were listed as carrying 4 guns (cannon) each in action against New Sweden. It is undetermined if this is the same yatch that brought the families to New Amsterdam and was possibly later pressed into service of the colony, which happened often enough. The name Dolphin, or its variants, have often been used and reused on many different boats of different classes. So the work history and final fate of these vessels can often be lost and merely guessed at.
In May 1638 he agreed to take care of the cows belonging to William Kieft, the director of New Netherland.
18 May 1639 – He leased Bowery (farm) #3 for six years from the West India Company.
19 Oct 1645 – He recieved a patent a patent for the land he had been leasing.
Leenderdt received a land grant for a house and garden lying east of what is now Broadway. This lot was the fourth lot south of Wall Street. He sold this lot in 1651 to Lubbertus Van Dincklagen. He then bought a lot north of his former lot in 1656. This was the land that the governor deeded to his son-in-law, Barent Jacobsen Cool in May of 1668. It was across from the south yard of Trinity Church. Click Here for today’s Street View of Broadway just south of Wall Street
18 Jul 1663 – He sold land he sold his land received under the patent of 1645 to Peter Stuyvesant. This land became part of a large farm that Stuyvesant retired on after the English took over the city in 1664. Stuyvesant spent the remainder of his life on his farm of sixty-two acres outside the city, called the Great Bouwerie, beyond which stretched the woods and swamps of the village of Haarlem. A pear tree that he reputedly brought from the Netherlands in 1647 remained at the corner of Thirteenth Street and Third Avenue until 1867, bearing fruit almost to the last. His farm, called the “Bouwerij” – the seventeenth-century Dutch word for farm – was the source for the name of the Manhattan street The Bowery, and the chapel facing Bouwerie’s long approach road (now Stuyvesant Street) became St. Mark’s Church in-the-Bowery.
Leendert died before 24 March 1664 at New Amsterdam.
1. Marritje De GRAUW (See Barent Jacobsen KOOL‘s page)
3. Aefje De Grauw
Aefje’s first husband Jan Perie was born 1629 at Province de West Vlaanderen, Belgium or 1620 in Pont, Cote d’Or, Bourgogne, France. Jan died in 1661 in New Amsterdam.
Jan was very litigious. I don’t have time to copy all his New Amsterdam court cases, but here are some highlights.
Aefje’s second husband Cornelius Andriesen Hoogland was born in The Hague, South Holland, Netherlands. He sailed from Amsterdam May 17, 1658 In the Gilded Beaver. (Vergulde Bever) Captain Jan Reyersz Van der Beets Arrived at New Amsterdam July, 1658. Cornelius was listed as a tailor in the ship’s manifest. He was a soldier in the service of the Dutch West India Co., as shown by a petition, June 16, 1661, of William Van Vredenburg and Cornelis Andriessen Hoogland, discharged soldiers, for a remission of the prices of their passage money to this country (Col. Dutch MSS. p. 225). Oct. 19, 1664, .
4. Albert De Grauw
Albert’s wife Arriantje Cornelis Trommels was born in 1620 in Schouwen, De Marne, Groningen, Netherlands. Her parents were Cornelis Trommels (1600 – 1655) and [__?__]. She first married before 1640 to Cornelis Claesszen Swits (1615 – 1655).. Arriantje died 7 Feb 1664 in New Amsterdam
5. Arent De Grauw
Arent’s first wife Gysbertje Harmen Coerten was born c.1642 Voorthysen, Netherlands. Her parents were Harmen COERTEN and Aertje GERRTIS. Gysbertje died 1679 in Flatbush, NY
Arent’s second wife Marritje Hendrickse was born circa 1640. She first married in 1662 to Wouter Gerritsen (1625-1679). Marritje died in 1686 in New York City.
The De Grauw Family by Colista E. B. Stuewer, 1985.
“Ships and Work boats of New Netherland, 1609-1674” (p.62) by Charlotte Wilcoxen