Capt. Robert Andrews

Pemaquid Point where Capt. Robert Andrew’s ship the Angel Gabriel was shipwrecked is featured on the 2003 Maine State Quarter

Capt. Robert ANDREWS (1593 – 1643) was Alex’s 11th Great Grandfather; one of 4,096 in this generation of the Shaw line.  He was also Alex’s 12th Great Grandfather; one of 8,192 in this generation of the Miller line.

Robert Andrews – Coat of Arms

Robert Andrews was born about 1593 in Norfolk, England.  He married Elizabeth [__?__] about 1618 in Norwich, Norfolk, England. Capt. Robert Andrews came from Norwich, Norfolk, England, early in the year 1635, as owner and master of the ship”Angel Gabriel”  which sank in the Great Colonial Hurricane, Robert died 1 Mar 1642/43 in Ipswich, Mass.

Robert Andrews was master of the Angel Gabriel which sank in a storm off Pemaquid Point, near the newly established town of Bristol, Maine, on August 15, 1635.

Elizabeth [__?__] was probably a widow with a young daughter Elizabeth when she married Robert.  When Robert’s bachelor son Thomas died without a will in 1683, most of his nephews and nieces inherited by intestacy, but [our ancestor] Elizabeth ANDREWS Griffin Sherrat’s  children were not included.  Moreover, the court ordered distribution of the estate of Thomas Andrews to the children of his “only brother,” and to “the children now living who descended from the two sisters” [EQC 9:120]. It is, therefore, clear that Elizabeth was not a sibling of the whole  blood to the rest. The question then is whether she was a daughter of Robert Andrews from a previous marriage, or a daughter of Elizabeth, wife of Robert Andrews, from a previous marriage. Because Robert Andrews did not name Elizabeth in his will, though she was still living, and because her mother and her husband were in court later for calling each other names, and because her children are not named as heirs to Thomas Andrews’s estate, we conclude that Elizabeth was more likely a daughter of Elizabeth [__?__] Andrews from a previous marriage than she was a daughter of Robert Andrews himself.  Elizabeth died in 1643 in Ipswich, Mass

Children of Robert and Elizabeth:

Name Born Married Departed
1. Elizabeth ANDREWS (probably half sister, see above) c. 1616
Norwich, Norfolk, England
Humphrey GRIFFIN
Ipswich, Mass
Hugh Sherratt
10 Feb 1662/63
Haverhill, Mass
8 Apr 1670 Haverhill, Mass
2. Alice Andrews c. 1618 Norwich, England William Franklin
c. 1638
Ipswich, Mass.
2 Apr 1641
Boston Mass
3. John Andrews 1629 Norwich, England Sarah Holyoke
c. 1660
Ipswich, Mass.
13 Mar 1665
Ipswich, Mass
4. Thomas Andrews c. 1631 Norwich, England Unmarried 27 Nov 1683
Ipswich, Mass
5. Abigail Andrews 1622
Norwich, England
Daniel Hovey
24 Jun 1665
Brookfield, Mass

Ship Captain, First tavern keeper in Ipswich (1635) “The White Horse”

The Angel Gabriel [Wikipedia] was a 240 ton English passenger galleon. She was commissioned for Sir Walter Raleigh‘s last expedition to America in 1617 and took part in the Duke of Buckingham’s 1627 assault on Cadiz. She sank in a storm off Pemaquid Point,  (Google Maps) near the newly established town of Bristol, Maine, on August 15, 1635. The sinking occurred during the middle of the Great Migration.

The ship was initially built as the Starre in 1615 and renamed the Jason by Sir Walter Raleigh for use in his second expedition to Guiana (then under control of the Spanish) in 1617. Following Raleigh’s return it was seized and became a merchant ship, renamed the Angel Gabriel.

In 1617 the Angel Gabriel was named the Jason and used for Sir Walter Raleigh’s quest for El Dorado

In 1616, Raleigh was released  from the tower to conduct a second expedition to Venezuela in search of El Dorado. During the expedition, Raleigh’s men, under the command of Lawrence Keymis, attacked the Spanish outpost of Santo Tomé de Guayana (San Tomé) on the Orinoco River. In the initial attack on the settlement, Raleigh’s son Walter was killed by a bullet. On Raleigh’s return to England, the outraged Count Gondomar, the Spanish ambassador, successfully demanded that King James reinstate Raleigh’s death sentence.

El Dorado is marked on this 17th Century map on the northwest shore of Parime Lacvs, not too far from the Orinoco River

Lawrence Kemys  was a seaman and companion of Sir Walter Raleigh. Kemys was unintentionally instrumental in the sequence of events that led to the final downfall and execution of Raleigh after leading a party of Raleigh’s men in an attack on the Spanish Outpost of Santo Tome on the Orinoco River, against Raleigh’s orders, and in violation of peace treaties with Spain. Raleigh’s son Wat was killed during the attack. A condition of Raleigh’s release from the Tower of london in 1616 to undertake his mission to Guiana in search of gold deposits had been that he not attack or harass Spanish colonies or shipping. As Raleigh had been under a suspended death sentence for treason since 1603, the fact that men under his command had violated this order meant that James I would have had little option but to enforce this earlier sentence.

Kemys had sailed with Raleigh to Guiana in search of gold with which Raleigh hoped to buy back a degree of royal favour. Because of his history of antagonism with the Spanish, it was required that Kemys, and not Raleigh lead the expedition onto the mainland. The sequence of events that led to Kemys’ attack on Santo Tome in January 1618 is unclear, with English and Spanish sources offering differing accounts of the incident, and each accusing the other of having fired the first shots, but it seems unlikely that Kemys intended what transpired. Raleigh’s son Wat was the first casualty of the brief skirmish, killed by a musket ball. one other Englishman and two Spaniards were also killed, before the Spanish garrison fled. Kemys’ men found themselves in control of the town, but surrounded by hostile Spanish forces. Kemys sent out a few brief expeditions in search of the promised gold, but these were unsuccessful. After 29 days and failed attempts to negotiate with the Spanish, Kemys ordered Santo Tome looted and burned. They set off back down the Orinoco to rejoin Raleigh and their fleet, finally arriving back there on 2 March.

Kemys had already informed Raleigh by letter of the unfolding disaster and the death of his son. He went to Raleigh’s cabin [on the future Angel Gabriel] to beg forgiveness, but found Raleigh unable to grant him this. In Raleigh’s words “I told him that he had undone me by his obstinacy, and that I would not favour… in any sort his former follie.” Kemys reportedly replied “I know then, Sir, what course to take.” before returning to his own cabin. Keyms then committed suicide by shooting himself in the chest with a pistol, then when that did not prove immediately fatal, stabbing himself in the heart with a knife.

Raleigh was beheaded in the Old Palace Yard at the Palace of Westminster on 29 October 1618. “Let us dispatch”, he said to his executioner. “At this hour my ague comes upon me. I would not have my enemies think I quaked from fear.” After he was allowed to see the axe that would behead him, he mused: “This is a sharp Medicine, but it is a Physician for all diseases and miseries.” Sir Walter’s final words (as he lay ready for the axe to fall) were: “Strike, man, strike!”

Raleigh just before being beheaded – an illustration from c. 1860

A stout ship designed and built to cope with combat, even as a merchant ship the Angel Gabriel was involved in many further skirmishes between 1618 and 1635, including a notable engagement in 1627 off Cadiz where it was boarded several times but was able to clear its decks each time and eventually beat off three Spanish ships. This was possible because the defenders were able to retreat into the forecastle and sterncastle which had reinforced bulkheads fitted with gunports for small cannon and shoulder weapons.

The attack on Cadiz was led by George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham (1592–1628), the favourite, claimed by some to be the lover, of King James I of England. Despite a very patchy political and military record, he remained at the height of royal favour for the first two years of the reign of Charles I, until he was assassinated. He was one of the most rewarded royal courtiers in all history.

George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham by Peter Paul Rubens

In Buckingham led an expedition to repeat the actions of Sir Francis Drake by seizing the main Spanish port at Cádiz and burning the fleet in its harbour. Though his plan was tactically sound, landing further up the coast and marching the militia army on the city, the troops were ill-equipped, ill-disciplined and ill-trained. Coming upon a warehouse filled with wine, they simply got drunk, and the attack was called off. The English army briefly occupied a small port further down the coast before re-boarding its ships.

This was followed by Buckingham leading the Army and the Navy to sea to intercept an anticipated Spanish silver fleet from its American territories. However, the Spanish were forewarned by their intelligence and easily avoided the planned ambush. With supplies running out and men sick and dying from starvation and disease, the fleet limped home in embarrassment.

Buckingham then negotiated with the French Prime Minister to the King, Cardinal Richelieu, for English ships to aid Richelieu in his fight against the French Protestants (Huguenots), in return for French aid against the Spanish occupying the Palatinate. Seven English warships participated in operations against La Rochelle and in the Siege of Saint-Martin-de-Ré (1625),  but Parliament was disgusted and horrified at the thought of English Protestants fighting French Protestants. [Note we have several ancestral Huguenot families in our family tree who escaped from La Rochelle and Isle de Re to New Amsterdam, though they left about fifty years after these battles when thing got really bad.]  The plan only fueled their fears of secret Catholicism at court. Buckingham himself, believing that the failure of his enterprise was the result of treachery by Richelieu, formulated an alliance among the churchman’s many enemies, a policy that included support for the very Huguenots whom he had recently attacked.

In 1627, Buckingham led another failure: an attempt to aid his new Huguenot allies besieged at La Rochelle in France, by leading the Siege of Saint-Martin-de-Ré (1627). He lost more than 4,000 of a force of 7,000 men. While organizing a second campaign in Portsmouth in 1628, he was stabbed to death, on August 23, at the Greyhound Pub; the assassin was John Felton, an army officer who had been wounded in the earlier military adventure. Felton believed he had been passed over for promotion by Buckingham. Felton was hanged in October of that year.  Buckingham was buried in Westminster Abbey. His lavish tomb bears a Latin inscription that may be translated as “The Enigma of the World”.

From England to Massachusetts in a fleet of five ships, the Angel Gabriel joined the James, the Elizabeth (Bess), the Mary and the Diligence. As they approached New England, an unusually powerful early season hurricane struck, known as the “Great Colonial Hurricane of 1635“, and the James and the Angel Gabriel were forced to ride it out just off the coast of modern-day Hampton, New Hampshire. and off Pemaquid Point, Maine respectively

A recent re-analysis of data from the Great Colonial Hurricane of 1635 by scientists of the Atmospheric Oceanic Meteorological Laboratory’s Hurricane Re-analysis project analyzes the hurricane as being a Category Four hurricane when it made landfall in the Northeast. In addition, the hurricane is noted for potentially causing the highest storm surge along the Eastern Coast of the United States in recorded history: near the head of Narragansett Bay with a value of approximately 20 feet . The town of Plymouth, Massachusetts suffered severe damage with houses blown down and the wind cut great mile-long sections of complete blowdown outside Plymouth and other eastern Massachusetts rural areas.  The study also indicates that this hurricane was very likely the most intense hurricane to ever impact the New England region in recorded history. In addition, reconstruction of the track and intensity using storm surge modeling indicates that the hurricane potentially had an intensity of 938 mbar (27.7 inHg) when it made landfall near Long Island.

We are fortunate that the chronicles of three great writers of the time have left us details of the storm. The journals of the leaders of the two colonies, John Winthrop of Massachusetts Bay and William Bradford of Plymouth, both mention in some detail the meteorological aspects of the storm. Both also make mention of several ships caught in the fury of the storm and sea. The James of Bristol, held Reverend Richard Mather (wiki) father of the famous Increase Mather and grandfather of Cotton Mather.  Another, a small bark, carried Antony Thacher and family.  I included Thacher’s legendary story just for fun.

The strength of the tempest is readily apparent from the accounts. Winthrop wrote of such violence “that blew down many hundreds of trees…overthrow some houses and drove ships from their anchor.” Bradford spoke of:

“such a mighty storm of wind and rain as none living in these parts, either English or Indian ever saw…. It blew down sundry houses and uncovered others…. It blew down many hundred thousands of trees turning up the stronger by the roots and breaking the higher pine trees off in the middle.”

Increase Mather, writing nearly fifty years later from contemporary accounts including those of his father, indicated that the fury of the storm “threw down (either breaking them off by the bole or plucking them up by the roots) thousands of great trees in the woods.” Such damage to wide areas of New England’s forests would not occur again until the Great September Gale of 1815.

The Isle of Shoals where the some of the fleet  tried to ride out the storm is just past the point of arrow on the top of  this map. Pemaquid Point where the Angel Gabriel was wrecked is about 150 miles north of Ipswich.

According to the ship’s log and the journal of Increase Mather, whose father Richard Mather and family were on the James, the following was recorded;

“At this moment,… their lives were given up for lost; but then, in an instant of time, God turned the wind about, which carried them from the rocks of death before their eyes. …her (James) sails rent in sunder, and split in pieces, as if they had been rotten ragges…”

Some of the fleet tried to stand down during the storm just outside the Isles of Shoals, but the James lost all three anchors, as no canvas or rope would hold, but on Aug 13, 1635, torn to pieces, and not one death, all one hundred-plus passengers aboard the James managed to make it to Boston Harbor two days later.

Pemaquid Point Lighthouse – Artistic View

The Angel Gabriel was wrecked off Pemaquid Point in Maine, but the smaller, faster ships, the Mary, the Bess, and the Diligence outran the storm, and landed in Newfoundland on August 15, 1635.

Pemaquid Point Arial View

A plaque commemorating the loss was dedicated August 8, 1965 at Pemaquid Point, Maine. Many of the passengers survived the sinking.

The ship “Angel Gabriel” pulled into Pemaquid Bay (Pemaquid, Maine) on August 13, 1635 and laid at anchor. The next day there was a terrible rain storm which ravaged the whole coast from Nova Scotia to New York starting at morning. The Angel was torn to pieces by the savage storm and cast away. Most of the cattle, 1 seaman and 3 or 4 passengers died. The others escaped to shore. Among the few personal belongings saved was a chest belonging to the Burnham boys. The tides had been as high as 20 feet.

Some passengers set up tents along the shore and John Cogswell [Coggswell] went to Boston and sought the help of a Capt. Gallop who commanded a smallbark, or barque as it was called then. He took some passengers to Ipswich and made another trip the end of October. Andrew probably went to Chebacco [southeast Ipswich, then Essex] with his nephews, the three Burnham brothers, and John Cogswell and his family in Capt. Gallop’s barque.

Angel Gabriel Monument

Passengers on the last voyage

  • Capt. Robert ANDREWS, Ship’s Master, Ipswich, Massachusetts
  • John Bailey, Sr., weaver from Chippenham, England to Newbury, Massachusetts
  • John Bailey, Jr., b. 1613
  • Johanna Bailey (possibly came on a later ship)
  • Henry Beck
  • Deacon John Burnham [Robert’s nephew]
  • Thomas Burnham  [Robert’s nephew]
  • Robert Burnham  [Robert’s nephew]
  • Ralph Blaisdell of Lancashire, settled in York, Maine
  • Mrs. Elizabeth Blaisdell
  • Henry Blaisdell
  • William Furber, age 21, London, England, settled in Dover, New Hampshire
  • John Cogswell & Elizabeth Cogswell and eight of their children, Westbury Leigh, Wiltshire, England, settled in Ipswich, Massachusetts Mr. Cogswell and his family escaped with their lives, but well drenched by the sea and despoiled of valuables to the amount of five thousand pounds sterling. (He had sold his “mylls called Ripond, situate within the Parish of Frome Selwood,” and other real estate early in 1635)
  • Samuel Haines, about age 24, apprentice to John Cogswell, settled in Greenland, New Hampshire
  • William Hook
  • Henry Simpson
  • John TUTLE, [also our ancestor] about age 17, Devonshire, England, settled in Chebasco near Essex, Massachusetts and finally Dover, New Hampshire (known to locals as “Shipwreck John Tuttle”)

” This Capt. Andrews had a sister Mary,who was the wife of Robert Burnham. Their three boys were John, Thomas and Robert, it is said,were put in the charge of their uncle Andrews, master of the ship”Angel Gabriel.” This ship was cast away at Tammaquid, in Maine, in a terrible storm Aug 15, 1635, after which loss, Capt. Andrews settled with his three nephews at Chebacco in Massachusetts Bay.

Rumor has it that the boys left England to get away from their brother Edward and possibly intended to return to England afterwards; however, this mother and father did come to Mass. Another brother, Benjamin, went to India, amassed a fortune which he left to his brothers in the Colonies [the will was contested by Edward and was never settled.]

Benjamin Burnham (born in 1621), also a son of Robert Burnham, did not make the trip to America and eventually went to Madras, India where he lived from 1660-1684. He amassed a great fortune in real estate, including 150 acres which included a part of Burnham Road [which is now Regent Street, London], Burnham Beach Cottage and Burnham Wood.

When Benjamin died in London, England about 1691, his will of June 8, 1685 stated that everything would go to his 3 brothers in America. The oldest brother, Edward, who had stayed in England, was quite upset and fought the will in courts. After a long battle in courts of England, the British Crown confiscated the entire estate, as they were noted for such practice in those days, and the Burnhams never regained the estate. Over the next 100 to 200 years, several Burnhams in America would make the long journey to England to contest the taking over of the estate, but were not successful. In 1860, Benjamin’s total estate consisting of real and personal property was valued at $65,200,000 giving an annual income of $2,392,000. We can only imagine what it would be worth today.

Capt. Andrews and his three nephews settled at Chebacco [Chebacco Parish was the southeastern-most part of the town of Ipswich, Massachusetts that later became the separate municipality of Essex.], in Massachusetts Bay on the south side of a river, possibly Chebacco Creeke. Land records of 1635 show that his houselot adjoined property belonging to Thomas Firman, John PERKINS Jr., John Cross, Richard Hoffield and Thomas Hardy.

Deacon John Burnham joined the Pequot Expedition in 1637 and in 1639 Ipswich granted him land for his services as a soldier in that expedition. He was appointed deacon of the church at Chebacco. He became the owner of a large tract of land, lying on the east side of what is now known as Haskell’s Creek, which is where he died on 5 Nov. 1694.

Lt. Thomas Burnham also joined the Pequot Expedition in 1637 along with his brother, John. He was made Selectman in 1647; Sergeant of the Ipswich Company in 1664; made Ensign in 1665 and was commissioned as Lieutenant in 1683. He was Deputy to the General Court from 1683 to 1685 and on town committees. In 1667 he was granted the privilege of errecting a saw mill on the Chebacco River. He owned much land both in Chebacco and in Ipswich which was divided between his sons, Thomas and James upon his death.

In 1645, Thomas married Mary Lawrence [NOT Mary Tuttle], daughter of Thomas Lawrence and Joan Antrobus. Thomas Lawrence died in 1625 in England and his widow, Joan, married John Tuttle. In June 1635, John and Joan Tuttle came to America in the ship “Planter”, along with their children, Joan’s mother [Mrs. Joan Antrobus] and 3 of the Lawrence children.

Robert Burnham came to Ipswich at the age of 11 and he removed to Boston in 1644, at the age of 20. He married Frances Hill soon after. While in Boston, he became one of a company who purchased the town of Dover, N.H. Ten years later, in 1654, he removed to Oyster River, N.H. and erected his “garrison house”.

In a book entitled “Ancient Pemaquid,” by J. W. Thornton, 1857, it says:

“On the last wednesday of May in this year (1635), the Angel Gabriel, a strong ship of 240 tons, and carrying a heavy armament of 16 guns swung at her moorings in the King’s Road, four or five miles distant from the city. Her destination was Pemaquid. On her deck was a company of many Godly Christians, some from other ships, bound for New England; one of them was Richard Mather, visited there by Sir Ferdinando Georges [Gorges], but the chief personage in the company was John Cogswell, a London merchant of wealth who with the fragments of his freight, and accompanied by his servants, settled at Ipswich.”

In the fury of an easterly storm the ship with her cargo were totally lost; some of the passengers not escaping death, most notably the Blaisdell family. This shipwreck is chronicled as one of the greatest disasters in the annals of Pemaquid.

Bonus Story – Legend of Thatcher Island

While only a few of the Angel Gabriel were lost, the same fate did not await the twenty-three souls aboard a small bark distinguished only as owned by a Mr Allerton.

[I can’t confirm the connection, but our ancestor Isaac ALLERTON could very well have been the bark’s owner.  While serving as the Plymouth colony’s business agent, Allerton began many business ventures of his own, relying on the colony’s credit for collateral. These ventures failed, thus leaving his colleagues back in Plymouth saddled with a greatly increased debt. Also, Allerton was asked to bring over trade goods to sell to the natives, however, Allerton brought over retail goods to sell to the colonists and fishermen who came over every year. ]

Among the passengers was a Mr Antony Thacher who, along with his wife, alone survived. He wrote an account of his rescue “with drowned pen and shaking hand to indite the story of such sad news as ever before this happened in New England.”

On the 11th of August 1635,  Reverend Avery embarked from Ipswich, Massachussets bound round Cape Ann for Marblehead where he was to be the minister for that new community.  With Avery sailed his wife and nine children and his cousin and long time friend, Antony Thacher, accompanied by his wife and six children.

The evening of the 14th brought the bark into a gale as she rounded Cape Ann. The aged canvas sails split under the high winds, and the crew resolved to set the anchor until morning before restoring the rigging. But before day’s light, “it pleased the Lord to send so mighty a storm as the like never known in New England.”

Driven before the wind and wave, Avery and Thacher solemnly recommended themselves to the Lord both of earth and seas, expecting the next wave to swallow them into the deep.

Thacher’s own words best express the fear of the moment:

“And as my cousin, his wife, and my tender babes sat comforting and cheering one the other in the Lord against ghastly death, which every moment stared us in the face, and sat triumphing upon each other’s forehead, we were by the violence of the waves and the fury of the winds (by the Lord’s permission), lifted up upon a rock between two high rocks, yet all was one rock, but it raged with the stroke which came into the pinnace…. The waves came furiously and violently over and against us.”

“Now look with me upon my distress and consider my misery… my goods and provisions swimming in the seas, my friends almost drowned, and mine own poor children so untimely… before mine eyes drowned and ready to be swallowed up, and dashed to pieces against the rocks by the merciless waves, and myself ready to accompany them.”

The surf beat relentlessly upon the vessel. The foremast was down, the main thrice broken, the fore part of the pinnace beaten away, goods tossed about in the sea,  accompanied by the wail of children beseeching their Savior’s intercession. A sailor was washed overboard and back again upon the same wave, crying for mercy the while.

As the two families huddled together in that torn cabin, comforting one another in the face of the cruel sea, a huge wave washed Thacher out upon the rocks. Arising, he saw that his daughter, Rev. Avery, and Avery’s eldest son had also been swept to a small hole in the top of the rock. Thacher’s wife was attempting to come to him when another great wave dashed the pinnace to splinters, washing her away in the scuttle. Those remaining in the bark were likewise swept into the sea. The same wave also swept the four from the rocks and into the raging waters; “the Lord, in one instant of time, disposing of fifteen souls of us, according to His good pleasure and will.”

Fortune, however, smiled upon Thacher, for as he was swept off the rock, he slid into the sea with his head above water. There he espied a plank from the bark, and, reaching out, took hold seconds before the sea dashed him against the rocks.

Battered about in the turbulent waters, Thacher soon found his right foot had touched ground. Struggling, he crept to the shore and safety. Turning, he searched the shore for signs of his family and friends. There before him lay his wife untangling herself from the wreckage.

“When we were come to each other, we went and sat under the bank. But fear of the seas roaring, and our coldness would not suffer us there to remain. But we went up into the land and sat us down under a cedar tree which the wind had thrown down, where we sat about an hour almost dead with cold.”

Soon the wind died, though the seas remained rough and fearful to the Thachers. Hope for their children stirred him to lift his bruised body and search the shore. But he didn’t find anything.

Later, their clothes tattered and torn to the barest threads, the Thachers combed the beach for any scrap of goods by which to sustain their lives. Thacher found a knapsack containing a steel, flint, and horn of powder, then a drowned goat and the hat and coat of his son William. Mrs Thacher found a petticoat. Also found were two wheels of cheese, some butter, and a small brass pot. With the powder, which was miraculously dry, Thacher struck a fire by which they warmed themselves and boiled part of the goat.

By Monday, three days after their ordeal had begun, a boat in search of another lost vessel removed them from that desolate island to which Thacher gave the name Thacher’s Woe. The rock he called Avery’s Fall. Buried upon the island, he had left Avery’s eldest daughter, the only body found of the twenty-one lost.

Winthrop provided us with a postscript to this tale of remarkable providence. “The court gave Mr Thacher £26.13.4 toward his losses, and divers good people gave him besides.”

So was a legend born, another place-name given to a new land in memorial to man’s struggle with storm and sea.

Thacher Island

Back to Capt. Robert Andrews

Robert was “made free 6 May 1635.”

The name of Robert Andrews does not appear among those who went to Aggawam [soon to be Ipswich] in 1633; but it does appear frequently in the public records after that date. Hammatt says that he possessed a houselot on the south side of the river in 1635 and it is said that he lived near the South Church. His name appears several times in the records of grants of lands:

3 Sept 1635 — Robte Andrews licensed to keep ordinarye (an inn) in the plantacon where he lyves during the pleasure of ye court.” This is the earliest reference to a public house in the records of Ipswich.   Robert lived near the South Church. In 1635; Robert is allowed the sell wine by retail “If he do not wittingly sell to such as abuse it by drunkenness.” May 13, 1640, Robert is granted to draw wine at Ipswich,with the conditions of the towne

Aprill 20, 1635. Thomas Firman was granted one hundred acres of land, beyond Chebacco Creeke having Robert Andrews land on the north west and a great bare hill on the south west.

John PERKINS Junr was granted a house lott containing an acre lying by the river, hauing Thomas Hardyes & Robert Andrewes house lotts on the south west side.

Granted to John Cross likewise five and Twenty acres in the North Side the Towne haueing the land of Thomas Dudley Esqur on the North, and Robert Andrews toward the South.

1635 — Robert Andrews is allowed to sell wine by retail, “if he do not wittingly sell to such as abuse it by drunkenness.”

1636 — Thomas Hardy had a house lot near the river adjoining Robert Andrews and Thomas Howlett.

1640 May 13 — Robert Andros is granted to draw wine at Ipswitch, with the conditions of the towne.

18 Jan 1641 — Robert Andrew wittnessed a deed from Daniel Denison to [our ancestor] Humphrey GRIFFIN of a dwelling house &c near the mill.

Richard Scofield conveys the same to Robert Roberts 2:5mo : 1643. in which it is bounded by Robert Andrews, Mr. Bartlemew, John Perkins the younger and Thomas Boreman.

Robert’s will, dated 1 March 1643, names his wife, Elizabeth, and his sons, John and Thomas; and his grandchildren, Elizabeth Franklyn and Daniel Hovey; showing that he must have had daughters, naming their husbands. By this means we are able to indentify them in other records and documents.

The fact that he mentions John, son of Humphrey GRIFFIN, as a legatee, strongly suggests that the legatee was a relative. Humphrey Griffin died at Ipswich, 16 September 1662, leaving a widow, Elizabeth; his wife Joan died 17 July 1657; possibly the first wife may have been a kinsman to Robert Andrews, a sister perhaps. He also mentions with certainty his nephews, John, Thomas, and Robert Burnham.

Thomas Howlett, designated as the guardian of his son, John, may have been related, yet he does not so state. Howlett was one of the first settlers who went to Ipswich with Mr. John Winthrop, and his name is frequently mentioned in the early records, from which it appears that Andrews and Howlett resided near each other at Ipswich.


1. Elizabeth ANDREWS (See Humphrey GRIFFIN‘s Page)

2. Alice Andrews

Alice’s husband William Franklin was born about 1608 in England.  William died Jul 1658 in Hendon, Middlesex, England.

Alice, whose daughter Elizabeth Franklin was born in Boston on 3 October 1638, could not have been born herself much later than our suggested birth year for Elizabeth. And Abigail, who had a son by the time her father made his will, was probably not born later than 1623. There is then a gap of approximately five years before John’s birth. We know that Thomas was younger than John, since John was asked in his father’s will to look out for Thomas, hence the estimated year of birth of 1630 for the son Thomas. All of these, with the possible exception of John, are estimated dates, and some tolerance in either direction must be allowed for in the absence of more substantial evidence.

3. Lt. John Andrews

John’s wife Sarah Holyoke was baptized 18 Sep 1623 in Tanworth, Warwickshire, England. She immigrated with her parents Edward Holyoke and Prudence Stockton. Sarah died 29 Apr 1666 in Lynn, Essex, Massachusetts.  Sarah was the great-aunt of the famous Ann Putnam Jr. from the Salem Witch Trials.

Sarah’s brother Captain Elizur Holyoke (c. 1624 – 1676) of Springfield, Massachusetts was the namesake of the mountain, Mount Holyoke, and (indirectly), of the city of Holyoke, Massachusetts and Mount Holyoke Female Seminary (now Mount Holyoke College)

Sarah’s sister Ann married Lieutenant Thomas Putnam  on 17 Oct 1643 in Salem, Essex, Massachusetts.  His parents were John Putnam and Priscilla Gould and his grandparents were (our ancestors) Richard GOULD and Mary COLDER.Their son Thomas Putnam (1652 – 1699) was a participant in the Salem witch trials.   Thomas was the husband to Ann Carr, and father of Ann Putnam, Jr.. Thomas’ brother, Edward, also participated in the witch trials.

Ann Carr Putnam by Kristie Alley

Arthur Miller wrote the play “The Crucible” using composite characters from actual records of the Salem witch hysteria.  In the play Thomas Putnam lives in Salem village and owns a bit of land close to Giles Corey. Giles accuses him of trying to steal it, and says that Putnam got his daughter to accuse Giles’ wife of witchcraft. This possibility is strongly supported by the play, and thus Putnam is one of the play’s true villains because of his resentments toward others and tendency to use it to advance himself.  Ann Putnam is the wife of Thomas Putnam. She has one daughter, Ruth, but has had seven miscarriages. Ann is accusatory and harsh to many, but also very hurt by the deaths of her babies.  In the play Ann Jr.’s name is Ruth, to avoid confusion with her mother, Ann Putnam Sr.

In the play John Proctor is portrayed as being in his thirties and Abigail Williams is 17 and a half years old, while the real John Proctor and Abigail Williams were respectively about sixty and eleven years old at the time of the witch trials. In the play, they had an affair, as a result of which Abigail accused Elizabeth Proctor of witchcraft. In reality, Elizabeth Proctor was initially named by twelve year old Ann Putnam Jr. on March 6, alleging that Proctor’s spectre attacked the girl. She was accused by Abigail on March 14 and further accusations were made by Mercy Lewis. Miller has Mary Warren accuse Proctor of afflicting her but this followed his initial accusation by Abigail in early April 1692. There is no historical evidence to suggest that Abigail even knew John Proctor before she accused him of witchcraft.

Ann Putnam, Jr (18 Oct 1679 – 1716), along with Elizabeth “Betty” ParrisMary Walcott and Abigail Williams, was an important witness at the Salem Witch Trials.

Ann was intelligent, well educated, and had a quick wit. At the time of the outbreak of witchcraft accusations, Ann was 12 years old. She was a close friend of several of the other afflicted girls. Mercy Lewis, 17, was a servant in the Putnam house, and Mary Walcott, 17, who was also afflicted, was perhaps Ann’s best friend. Ann, Mary, and Mercy were among the first villagers outside of the Parris household to be afflicted.

Ann and six other young girls had listened as Tituba, Parris’s Indian servant woman, told tales of voodoo and other supernatural events in her native Barbados. The girls also engaged in fortune telling–concerning, for example, matters such as what trade their sweethearts might have. During one fortune telling episode, Ann reported seeing a specter in the likeness of a coffin. After this incident, Ann, Betty Parris, and Abigail Williams (the niece and home resident of Parris) began to display strange symptoms. They complained of pain, would speak in gibberish, became contorted into strange positions, and would crawl under chairs and tables.

After Betty Parris was sent away, Ann and Abigail became the most active–as well as the youngest–of the accusers. Ann claimed to have been afflicted by sixty-two people. She testified against several in court and offered many affidavits. Her father, Thomas Putnam, was the chief filer of complaints in the village, and maintained complete control over the actions of the two afflicted girls living in his house. Most of the afflicted and the accusers were in some way related to the Putnam family. Ann Putnam Sr., Ann’s mother, would also become afflicted at times, and was in court almost as much as her daughter and servant. The mother and daughter Ann were a particularly formidable pair of actors. People from miles around trooped into the courtroom to watch their performances.

In 1706, Ann Putnam publicly apologized for the part she had played in the witch trials.

I desire to be humbled before God for that sad and humbling providence that befell my father’s family in the year about ninety-two; that I, then being in my childhood, should, by such a providence of God, be made an instrument for the accusing of several persons of a grievous crime, whereby their lives were taken away from them, whom, now I have just grounds and good reason to believe they were innocent persons; and that it was a great delusion of Satan that deceived me in that sad time, whereby I justly fear I have been instrumental, with others, though ignorantly and unwittingly, to bring upon myself and this land the guilt of innocent blood; though, what was said or done by me against any person, I can truly and uprightly say, before God and man, I did it not out of any anger, malice, or ill will to any person, for I had no such thing against one of them; but what I did was ignorantly, being deluded by Satan.

And particularly, as I was a chief instrument of accusing Goodwife Nurse and her two sisters, I desire to lie in the dust, and to be humble for it, in that I was a cause, with others, of so sad a calamity to them and their families; for which cause I desire to lie in the dust, and earnestly beg forgiveness of God, and from all those unto whom I have given just cause of sorrow and offense, whose relations were taken away or accused.

Some historians have speculated that her parents, Thomas and Ann (Carr), Sr., coerced Putnam to accuse those they were feuding with or sought revenge on. Many of the accused had some sort of relationship with the powerful Putnam family.  When her parents died in 1699, Ann was left to raise her nine siblings aged 7 months to 16 years. Putnam never married.

Children of John and Sarah

i. John Andrews Jr. b. ca. 1648; d. will proved 17 May 1709; m. Ann Jacobs

ii. Joseph Andrews b. 20 Sep 1657 in Ipswich, Essex, Mass.; d. 5 Mar 1724 in Ipswich, Essex, Mass.;  m. 16 Feb 1680 to Sarah Ringe under name Joseph Andrews, Senr., of Chebacco, in Ipswich.

John Jr. signed the petition in support of John Proctor oldest son of our ancestor John PROCTOR  and his wife Elizabeth Proctor at the Salem Witch trials.

5. Abigail Andrews

Abigail’s husband Daniel Hovey was born 9 Aug 1618 in Waltham Abbey, Essex, England. His parents were Richard Hovey and [__?__]. Daniel died 24 Apr 1692 in Ipswich, Essex, Mass.

Daniel Hovey Memorial

Daniel the ancestor of the American Hoveys, was born at Waltham Abbey, in Essex
county, England, Aug. 9, 1618, being son of Richard Hovey, a glover, of that place. He was apparently a man of education, and the fact that the curate of his parish church was friendly to and interested in him while he was in his teens and far away in a strange land, indicates that there were elements in his character which drew and held
attention to him.

He was one of the early settlers of Ipswich, Massachusetts, in 1635, at the age of seventeen. Feb. 5, 1637, the town granted to him six acres of land on Muddy creek ; and
also “Granted to Daniell Hovey, an house lott, i acre of ground on the South syde of the Town River, having a house lott, granted to William Holdred on the West, and a house lott granted to Thomas Sherman on the East. Also six acres of planting ground, lying on Sagamore Hill, having a planting lott, formerly granted Henry Wilkinson on the West, and a planting lott granted to William Holdred on the East: to enjoy the sayde Landes, to him, his heirs, or assigns forever. Entered this 27″” day of March 1639.”

The freemen of the town granted to William Holdred a house lot of half-an-acre adjoining Daniel Hovey’s on the southwest, being on the south side of the river, and bounded by the house lot of Roger Preston on the southwest; also six acres of planting ground on Sagamore hill adjoining Daniel Hovey’s planting lot west, and the planting lot of Roger Preston on the east ; the grants being entered April 9, 1639; and both of these lots were conveyed by Mr. Holdred to “Daniel Hovey of Ipswich, planter,” and, also, one dwelling house built on the house lot and all the fencing belonging to both lots. Entered April 10, 1639.

10 Feb 1644 -The town of Ipswich ordered that Mr. Hovey be paid three shilHngs for killing three foxes.

In 1648, he subscribed three shillings three times a year to Maj. Daniel Denison, “so long as he shall be their leader, to encourage him in his military helpfulness,” the whole annual sum being twenty-four pounds and seven shillings, and the largest subscription ten shillings.

Mr. Hovey was somewhat prominent, and held several town offices in Ipswich, being chosen one of the selectmen Feb. 14, 1659; a surveyor of highways in 1648-9 and 1649-50; and a constable in 1658. In 1656, he was one of a committee to set up a saw mill on Chebacco river. The selectmen ordered, 12: 12: 1650, that Symon Tomson and Daniell Hovey shall view a certain parcel of land.* In 1649, he was a juror at Ipswich court.

In the county court which sat at Ipswich 29: i: 1642, Mr. Hovey was plaintiff in three civil actions. One was against James Pitney and James Howe, in which he recovered judgment for nine bushels of corn ; one against Jo : Lee, which was not tried : and the other was against George Varnham and Jo : North, which was continued.

4 Mar 1650 – Daniel Hovey was granted a highway to go to his lot in, by the town of Ipswich

22 Dec 1652 – The town gave him liberty to set his fence down to the river at his ground which he bought of William Knowlton, making a stile at each end.

At a town meeting held Feb. 14, 1659, Daniel Hovey was granted liberty to build a wharf against his ground that he bought of William Knowlton, and, also, such building as may tend to the improvement thereof.

Mr. Hovey was living on his farm in Topsfield in 1663 and 1664. Jan. 15, 1663, he was chosen one of two persons to lay out some land.

Mr. Hovey was complained of for speaking falsely to the prejudice of General Denison, and was fined twenty shillings in Ipswich court Sept. 24, 1667. The records show that in some case, in which evidently General Denison acted as magistrate, Mr. Hovey said that Major Denison did not write his determination nor state his sentence in public, and what was done occurred after he was gone, and that John Gould whispered in the major’s ear as he was going away. Magistrates did not allow themselves to be criticised in those days.

In May, 1660, a colony went from Ipswich to Quaboag, a place subsequently named Brookfield ; and Daniel Hovey joined it in 1668. His sons James and Thomas went with him. The lots of land laid out to the father and sons adjoined, and were situated easterly of the little brook, on the north side of the road.

Daniel Hovey was living in Quaboag in May, 1672, and settled in Hadley before the massacre at Quabog in 1675. See my post Siege of Brookfield for details

While in Hadley, he lived on a farm of Mr. Henry Gierke ; and Mr. John Russell, jr., and Mr. Peter Tilton, sr., executors of the will of Mr. Gierke of Hadley, deceased, brought an action against Mr. Hovey, at the court in Springfield Sept. 26, 1676, for withholding rent due to said plaintiffs “for a ft’arm or Land of ye sayd Mr. Henry Glerkes which ye sayd Hovey hath Occupyed as a tenement.”* The jury found a verdict for the plaintiffs, and awarded them fourteen pounds damages, due in i676.

At the succeeding term of court held at Springfield the same year, Mr. Hovey brought suit against Mr. John Russell, jr., being an “Action of unjust molestation in a Suite at ye last Corte at Springfield & for uncharitable charges to ye defamation or Slandour of the sd. Dan” Hovey & his Wife & Charging ye sd Daniel to be a man of a Scandolous life in an Open Afsembly & therefore was denyed Church Gomunion & this threatened to be made Out to his Church and ye he belonged too & all ye Churches thereaboute.”

The jury found a verdict for Mr. Hovey. Whether these proceedings and the unhappy contentions that must have been engendered by them had aught to do with his departure from Hadley or not the writer does not know ; but Mr. Hovey returned to Ipswich in 1678.

While living in Hadley, he suffered much at the hands of the Indians, and was also a sharer in providing defence for the town. Three years after his return to Ipswich, he sent to the colonial council a petition, an exact copy of which, copied from the original instrument on file in the Massachusetts archives, at the state house in Boston, is as follows:

To the Honoured Council now sitting in Boston ; the humble petition of Daniel Hovey of Ipswich,

Wheras your humble petitioner was an inhabitant of Hadly in the time of the late Indian warrs, and there expended (beside my lofses) much of my Estate in the Countreys service against the common enemy; and since that time was removed thence by Providence to Ipswich, where I have remained now these three veers last past ; and by reason of the remote distance fro Hadly and want of intelligence thence I mifsed the opportunity of sending in my last acco” together with my neighbours there, to the last Sefsions of the Gen” Court; which caused me much labour and long travell thither from Ipswich :

yet at the last I have gained a certificate of those my Expences from the Committee of Militia in Hadley, being the last of mine Expences tliere on the Countreys service; amounting to ii'” 13′ 08”; as by the said Certificate doth fully appear: now my humble request and petition is, that yo’ Hono” would be pleased to grant me an Order to the Constables of Ipswich that I may receive the said Sums there; where my setled residence is, and have no commerce or dealing at Hadley : that so I may discount my present Rates, and may have the residue for the relief of my family, which hath been much straitned by my Icfses and expences there in time of the warrs, and by rates both then and since. The Lord direct your counfells and afsist yo” endeavo”‘^ in all weighty transactions now in hand, that we may rejoice and blefs God under yo’ good governm’ continued over us. so prayeth
Yo’ humble petitioner,

Daniel Hovey.

The order thereon was as follows : —

28 flfebruary

It is ordered that the Trefurer pay vnto Daniel Hovey of Ipswich the Sume of Eleven pou[n]ds out of there Country Rate in full of all his Account in Controversy p council! Edw Rawsom Secre'”

Councils act to pay Daniel Hovey ii”” 1681.

The selectmen of Ipswich granted to him six pine trees, presumably for timber, at two times, three on Jan. 2, 1678, and three Dec. 15, 1679.*

Daniel Hovey married Abigail, daughter of Robert and Elizabeth (Franklin?) Andrews of Ipswich, about 1641. Mr. Andrews died in 1643, having given to Mr. Hovey a legacy of ten pounds. In the settlement of the estate of Mrs. Hovey’s brother Thomas Andrews, a prominent schoolmaster, Mr. Hovey certified to the county court as follows:

[some spelling corrected, many “f” to “s” for readabilty]

September 27. ’83’
Thefe may inform this Honored Cort. & may it please your Honors,
to take notis touching the relations of this worthy gentilman Mr. Thomas
Andrews, my truly louing dear & wel. beloved Brother &c. I did more
then forty years ago. match w'” his Loving & welbeloved sister .Abigal
Andrews, by home the lord blest me with six sons. & one dafter. five of
which sons are yet liuing fo that by thes it may apear that we ar
suerly related to this [deceased] gentlman. but in breif he hath fix nefews &
two nefes. as. follows their is the son and dafter of his brothe’ as namly
John. Andrews & fara Connant his sister both which are Confiderably
deters vnto his eftate as alfo M’* Elifibeth Glouer wo is married to Mr.
John Glouer formerly liuing at Bofton now at Swansy w”” also is deter
to the estate ther is myfelf alfo deter to ye estate five shilins vpon the
prifin of some things he lent me for my present vs & gaue me order to
use & keep them til he Caled for them, there is Daniel & John Hovey two
of his nefews deter to the estate for scolin their Children about four
pounds, their is also Thomas, Joseph & nathaniel Hovey. three of his
nefews w”” never had the value of one shiling of the estate of their unkls
that I know of. I humbly draw your favor to ouerlook my weaknes in
indevrin to lay this narative befor your Honors, ye when their shal aper
a vifibl estat of my Loving Brothers youe mav haue so much as thef
few lines may aford as touching the fetling of his eltat upon his relations
that we quietly & peafably w'” ye lords blefing may haue the benifit of the
vf of y’ his eftate w”” he left vndisposed of now the good lord of
heaven so influenl your heads & hearts by ye lit of his holy spirit as that
a Gevin fentans may pro fed frome you as god may haue honor your-
felus ioy in the day of Christ & no perfons or perfon may haue caufe of
complaint but that we may blef god for his merfy to fe juftis & judg’
fil runin in our Itrets. lo prays your humble petitioner.

Mrs. Hovey died between 1676 and 1683. He died in Ipswich April 24, 1692. His will was proved Oct. 31, 1692. The following is a copy of the original document on file in the probate office at Salem: —

I Daniell Hovey fenier of Ipfidg Confidrin the changes of man doe
defier by the help of the Lord to setel my consents as may be for the
glory of god and the good of my family my fole I defir to resign and
Comit unto the hand of my Levin ffather in Jefus Chriit ho is the Lord
my Ritofnis my body to be desently buried in erth in hop of a glorious
and blefed reserectio by chrift amen

Itt The ftat which god of his grace hath giuen me I haue disposd
of af folows to my Eldest sons Daniell and John houey and my daftor
Airs I haue giuen them thire proptions of yt Eftat I had to our mutual!
content ye one at Ipfig ye other in Topsfill Now in their pofefon Abigals
paid by my fon John to my son Airs :

Itt To my fon Thomas and James his fon Daniell I give all that my
Hand caled houeys Hand which with the thatchbanks and Low marsh
belongin to me on the other sid the crek which I a Lowed quarter matter
Perkins [Quarter master John PERKINS] to improue holdin my posesion till I had ocasion for fam alio all y’ houfe and Land in Ipfig y’ I fhall not dispos of befor deth

Itt I giue to my son Joseph and Nathanil Houey one hundred rods
of ground a piece Joseph bounded Next to m’ Emersons Land from ye
hiway to ye Land Daniell Ringes Nathanil one hundred rod of my Land
Next to my fon Daniell with ye dweling hous Bam part of ye orchard to
but on Danil Ring: half planting Lot a bout three acres w’ a way to it
or ye bridg I made to go to it three acrs at plum Hand also: which
Lands I Leaue in ye hands of my Executor and oversears : ye if left after
my death To be disposed of as folows : the Children of Joseph Hovey : to
haue an equall proporfhon of what if Left after my Deth : as to ye father
Legaci : the children of my son Nathaniell to haue an Equall proporfhon :
amounxt y”‘ only Nathaniell Houey y’ son of Nathaniell Houey to haue
a duble pro porfhon: if he Line to y” eage of one and twenty if not y”
to be diuided among ye other Children of ye family :

Itt my mouables to my son Nathaniell those sheep he hath of mine
to his children : my cart and plow Irons chains great tramill great brass
cittell Iron Cettell Little Iron pot : my poutter poringer and drincking
Cup with one chamber pot: and my wife wearing aparell to Nathaniell
children : the other to Joseph his brothers children all my wearing cloths
my great brass pot and putter pot and my great bible an dbooks as faloweth :
come to chrift and wellcom Gotten one y’ Counant madcr : 7: sarmons to
Nathaniell Children to Daniell gran child those sheep with w’ hif mafter
and books alfo Christan warfer Caluen one Job tcnn deuins y” golden
fepter with what other Books undefpofd by me of mine and shuch towls
for his trade as are sutable of mine : to Abigel Hodgkins wife of Thomas
Hodgkins y’ brafe pan and a putter falfeller, my part of ye meare and
colt to gran child Daniell and luory

Itt my entreft of brockfeld and fwampfeld I giue to my son Joseph and Nathaniell children

Itt I make my son Thomas Executor and would haue his Nephu in
case he Lines to eage if capable to Joyne in y” fame w’ him and he to pay
out of his part to his brother James and sister prafila and John Aires tenn
pounds a pice within thre after his poseson and in Cafe of hi death I put James Houey in his Rome and Let y” four Equally deuid his part: my bed bolfter and pillow w’ my gren Rug a paier of ‘■’lanckits. w” ye bedfted to Daniell gran child. I would haue my son John of topsfeld to tack in to his pof ef hon with his Books :

Itt I doe apoynt rny Louing sons Daniell Houey ; and John Hovey
to be oversers : of this my Laft will ; and fe : to discharg my ffunerall
Chargis which I alow four pounds Eftat : and to take any : inventary of
my estate : and discharge all my dets and make probet of my will : and
to fe his Nephufe haue their equall proporfhon : Joseph and [torn] chil-
dren how haue lately defefed: for which I a Low my our fears three
pounds apice for their ceare and truble : This is my will ; as witnes my
hand and feal

Philemon Dane
Thomas Hodgkins


From Annis Spear, 1945 – Walter Goodwin Davis

Angel Gabriel: The Elusive English Galleon byWarren Curtis Riess  This jewel of a book presents the history of and search for the remains of a fascinating seventeenth-century ship. She was built for Sir Walter Raleigh’s last expedition to America in 1617, carried many people on adventures in the Atlantic Ocean for eighteen years, brought families to settle in America, and was wrecked by a hurricane at Pemaquid, Maine in 1635

This entry was posted in 13th Generation, 14th Generation, Historical Monument, Immigrant - England, Line - Miller, Line - Shaw, Sea Captain, Storied, Witch Trials and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Capt. Robert Andrews

  1. Pingback: Humphrey Griffin | Miner Descent

  2. Pingback: Origins | Miner Descent

  3. Pingback: Sea Captains | Miner Descent

  4. Pingback: Tavern Keepers | Miner Descent

  5. Pingback: John Tuttle | Miner Descent

  6. Pingback: Witch Trials | Miner Descent

  7. Pingback: Witch Trials – Accusers | Miner Descent

  8. Pingback: Witch Trials – Supporters | Miner Descent

  9. Pingback: Richard Pratt | Miner Descent

  10. D. Andrews says:


    Thank you for your thorough research. I’m struggling with the various interpretations of Robert’s wife Elizabeth as well as the dates related to his birth and those of his children. The widely published birthdate of 1560 doesn’t make sense to me. He would have been 75 in 1635.

    Do you propose that his marriage to Elizabeth _____ was in England where the children were born? What do you think about the oft referred to Elizabeth Franklin.

    D. Andrews, 10th great granddaughter of Capt. Robert

  11. D. Andrews says:

    I see that you state the marriage in England. My apologies.

  12. Barbra says:

    Hi, I do believe tis is a great web site. Istumbledupon it
    😉 I may revisit nce again since I saved as a favorite
    it. Money and freerdom iis the best way to change,
    may you be rich aand continue to guide others.

  13. Alex Bannerman says:

    Sir, you have on your page: Robert Andrews was born about 1593 in Norfolk, England. He married Elizabeth [__?__] about 1618 in Norwich, Norfolk, England. Capt. Robert Andrews came from Norwich, Norfolk, England, early in the year 1635, as owner and master of the ship”Angel Gabriel” which sank in the Great Colonial Hurricane, Robert died 1 Mar 1642/43 in Ipswich, Mass. OUCH. OUCH. OUCH. Please see the excursus on Robert Andrews in Robert Charles Anderson’s “Great Migration: Immigrants to New England 1634-1635,” pages 52-46, which corrects almost everything you have posted here. I, too, am a descendant of Robert Andrews, a professional genealogist, and head of Flagon & Trencher: Descendants of Colonial Tavernkeepers, a 54-year-old lineage society focusing on that topic. Robert Andrews and his son John were both tavernkeepers in Ipswich. There was never any question of Robert Andrews being a ship captain, and as Anderson points out, it would have been impossible for him to even have come on the Angel Gabriel since he was already here before that ship sailed. As a bit of assistance, you will find MANY other of your ancestors shown on your page in the entire 10-volume compendium by Anderson, which I strongly suggest you consult as you correct the many errors on your page. A noble effort, to be sure, and definitely deserving of more attention to make it trustworthy.

  14. Alex Bannerman says:

    My apologies regarding that citation. A typo: Anderson’s pages 52-56, not 46.

  15. Mary H. Andrews says:

    Do you happen to know if anyone from these Andrews went north to Ameliasburgh, Hastings, Canada. I have a James Andrews from there – he married into the Crouter [Jane] Family in Canada. His son Stephen Andrews then moved to Ohio.

  16. Pingback: The Great Colonial Hurricane and the wreck of the Angel Gabriel – Historic Ipswich

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s