Lt. William MINER (1670 – 1725) was Alex’s 8th Great Grandfather, one of 512 in this generation.
William Miner was born on 6 Nov 1670 in Niantic, CT near Lyme and New London. He was son of Clement MINER and Frances BURCHAM. He married Sarah BECKWITH, of Lyme CT c. 1693. William died on 18 Apr 1725 at the age of 55 and was buried in Old Stone Church Cemetery in East Lyme.
|HERE LYETH THE
BODY OF LT WILL
IAM MINOR WHO
DIED APRIL YE 18TH
1725 AGED 55
Sarah Beckwith was born on 14 Apr 1677 in Lyme, CT. She was baptized in New London, CT at the age of 8 on 15 Jul 1685 . Her parents were Joseph BECKWITH and Susanna TALLMAN of Lyme, CT. Sarah died in New London on 24 Mar 1722/23; when she was 45 perhaps in child birth from our ancestor Elihu.
A wife of a William Miner died 9 Nov 1732 in Lyme, CT; perhaps a second wife of this William?
Children of William and Sarah recorded in Lyme, CT .
|1.||William Miner||27 Apr 1694 Lyme CT||Abigail [_?_]
|1 Oct 1746 Lyme CT|
|2.||Deacon Clement Miner||12 Feb 1695/6 Lyme||Esther Lee.
Her parents home, (the Thomas Lee house still stands)
31 Oct 1722 East Lyme, CT
|22 Jan 1756 East Lyme CT|
|3.||Joseph Miner||12 Dec 1697 Lyme||Jemima Cady
19 Jan 1721 Old Lyme, New London, CT
|bef. April 1758 when Hannah married Clement Miner|
|4.||Susanna Miner||14 Sep 1699 Lyme||John Brown
4 Dec 1729
Old Lyme, CT
|25 Apr 1741 Stonnington CT|
|5.||Christopher Miner||17 Apr 1701||–||29 Mar 1724|
|6.||Thomas Miner||5 Jan 1702/3 Lyme||Martha Stebbins
21 Nov 1727 New London
|9 Dec 1746|
|7.||Sarah Miner||26 Jul 1704 Lyme||Clement Stebbins
25 Nov 1727 Lyme, CT
|8.||Stephen Miner||9 Apr 1706 Lyme||Athaliah Updyke (Updike)
Maidenhead (now Lawrenceville) NJ
|8 May 1750 Winchester VA|
|9.||Samuel Miner||26 Jul 1708 Lyme||Hannah Douw
9 Mar 1740 Lyme, CT
|11 Oct 1745 Pennsylvania|
|10.||Anne Miner||6 May 1710 Lyme||Samuel Leach
6 Feb 1728 New London, CT
|11.||John Miner||15 Apr 1712||Unmarried||25 Mar 1741|
|12.||Sylvester Miner||3 Jun 1714 Lyme||Lydia Stebbins
Lydia Chadwick may have been a second wife by 1762.
|13.||Elihu Miner||16 Oct 1716||–||3 Mar 1719|
|14.||Elihu MINER Sr.||13 May 1722 Lyme||Keziah WILLEY
21 Mar 1745 East Haddam, CT
|before 1790 or
29 Mar 1807 East Haddam CT
In May 1713 he was commissioned Lieutenant of the second Lyme company. He was a representative to the General Assembly of Connecticut in 1717.
William served in some of the early colonial wars and received the title of Lieutenant. The Sons of Colonial Wars placed a Louisburg cross on his gravestone in the old Stone Cemetery in East Lyme on the 24th of June, 1924.
1. William Miner
William’s wife Abigail [__?__] origins are not known.
Children of William and Abigail
i. William Miner b. 1719 Old Lyme, New London, CT; m. 28 Jul 1737 to Abigail Biggs (b. 1716 Lyme, New London, CT – ) Abigail was called “of Saybrook” in Connecticut marriage records. Some marriage records spell William name “Minot”
ii. Elizabeth Miner b. 1722 Old Lyme, New London, CT
iii. Katherine Miner b. 1725 Old Lyme, New London, CT;
2. Deacon Clement Miner
Clement’s wife Esther Lee was born 18 Aug 1703 in Lyme, New London, CT. Her parents were Thomas Lee and Elizabeth Graham. Esther died 6 Jun 1765 in Lyme, New London, CT.
Lies the Body of
Esther Miner Relict
of Dea[co]n Clement
Miner who Depar[te]d
this Life June y 6
1765 in the 62d
year of her Age.”
Clement is called Deacon in the Connecticut, Deaths and Burials Index, 1650-1934
Clement and Esther were married at her parents home, (the Thomas Lee house still stands)
The Thomas Lee House in the Niantic section of East Lyme, Connecticut, was constructed between 1660 and 1664. It is one of the oldest wood frame houses in Connecticut still in its primitive state. The original dwelling consisted of a post and beam timber frame erected on six 2-story wall posts, with the Judgment Hall below and the Chamber above. A steeply pitched roof covered a spacious attic over the chamber. A small stone walled partial cellar pit under part of the hall was reached through a trap door. A massive fireplace with timber lintel spanned most of the west wall. Around 1700, the West Parlor and West Chamber were added as a free standing structure framed on its own four corner posts. About 1765, the lean-to with the Kitchen and its adjoining rooms were added. The West Parlor was plastered, the summer beam and chimney girt were sheathed, and the paneling formerly on the plastered walls was reused in the lean-to. New paneling, with four flute pilasters was added on the fireplace wall.
Today the house is a historic house museum operated by the East Lyme Historical Society, and furnished as it would have been in the 18th century.
In May 1745, Clement was commissioned lieutenant in the 2nd company in Lyme and captain in October 1745.
Clement’s footstone reads:
French and Indian War
1st Company, 4th Regiment,
Died Jan. 20 1756
Children of Clement and Esther:
i. Lucretia Minor b. 22 May 1724 Lyme, New London, CT; d. 23 Feb 1757; m. 1740 Lyme, New London, CT to Rueben Ely (b. 12 Jan 1710 West Springfield, Mass. – d. 22 Feb 1799 Hancock, New Hampshire; Burial: Noah Ely Cemetery, Hancock, Berkshire, Mass.) Ruben’s parents were Deacon John Ely (1678 – 1758) and Mercy Bliss (1680 – 1763) Lucretia and Ruben had five children born between 1747 and 1757. After Lucretia died, Ruben married 14 Sep 1763 Somers, Tolland, CT to Sarah Kibbe (1726 – 1822) and had two more children.
ii. Christopher Miner b. 23 Feb 1726 Lyme, New London, CT; d. 2 Jan 1767 Burial: Old Stone Church Burial Ground East Lyme.
French Indian War
5th Co., 3rd Regt.
Died Jan. 2, 1767
m1. 1749 Lyme to Lucretia Beckwith (b. 1728 New London, New London, CT – d. 9 Aug 1775 Lyme, New London, CT); Lucretia’s parents were Oliver Beckwith (1691 – 1759) and Martha [__?__] (1691 – 1759) Christopher and Lucretia had eight children born between 1750 and 1773.
m2. possibly 28 May 1758 Lyme to Abigail Way (b. 1728 Lyme – d. 1792 Longmeadow, Hampden, Mass.)
iii. Andrew Miner b. 26 May 1728 Lyme, New London, CT; d. 1783 Tolland, Tolland, CT; m. 4 Nov 1750 Norwich, New London, CT to Priscilla Bosworth (b. 16 May 1731 Killingly, Windham, CT – d. Williston, Chittenden, Vermont) Priscilla’s parents were David Bosworth (1699 – 1747) and Priscilla Shaw (1702 – 1728). Andrew aned Priscilla had eleven children born between 1750 and 1769.
iv. Elisha Miner b. 24 Aug 1730 Lyme, New London, CT; d. 15 Feb 1792 Burial: Old Stone Church Burial Ground East Lyme; m. 22 Oct 1755 Lyme to Ruth Robbins (b. 17 Feb 1730 Lyme – d. 26 Oct 1805 East Lyme) Ruth’s parents were Edward Robbins (1693 – 1731) and Ruth Smith (1695 – 1733) Elisha and Ruth had three children.
v. Sabra “Seabury” Miner b. 2 Oct 1732 Lyme, New London, CT; d. 16 Apr 1788 West Springfield, Hampden, Mass; m. 4 Oct 1751 Springfield, Hampden, Mass. to Benjamin Stebbins (b. 8 Mar 1727 Springfield, Hampden, Mass. – d. 6 Sep 1803 West Springfield; Burial: Park Street Cemetery, West Springfield) Benjamin’s parents were Benjamin Stebbins (1702 – 1783) and Mary Day (1706 – 1796). Sabra and Benjamin had ten children born between 1752 and 1774.
Benjamin was a private in the Massachusetts Militia in the Revolution. Capt. Nehemiah May’s company, Col. David Leonard’s regiment.; entered service May 6, 1777; discharged July 8, 1777; service, 72 days, at Ticonderoga, including travel (200 miles) home; company raised for 2 months. Roll dated South Brimfield.
In memory of Mrs. Sabra Stebbins wife of Mr. Benjamin Stebbins who died April 16, 1788 in the 56 year of her age….Dear friends be wise/In time to know/The fading state/of things below/I seek the Lord with /every breath/And always be prepared/for death
vi. Deborah Minor b. ~1732 Lyme, New London, CT; d. 1805 Connecticut; m. 1753 Lyme to Amos Fox (b. 1730 Lyme – d. 1785 Lebanon, Grafton, New Hampshire) Amos’ parents were Benjamin Fox (1688 – 1745) and Azubah Tuttle (1692 – 1728). Deborah and Amos had seven children born between 1755 and 1766.
vii. Zenas Minor b. 1735 Lyme, New London, CT; d. 1738 Lyme,
viii. Samuel Miner b. 21 Aug 1738 Lyme, New London, CT;
This Samuel was NOT the Samuel who married Jane Latimer on 13 Nov 1789. That Samuel is probably from the Maynard family. Jane was born on 13 Apr 1763 in Lyme, CT, daughter of Nathan Latimer.
ix. Elys Miner b. 1740 Lyme, New London, CT
x. John Miner b. 25 Mar 1742 Lyme, New London, CT; m. 1763 Lyme to Martha Bolles (b. 1746 Lyme); m2, ~1776 to Deborah Rogers. John and Deborah had three children.
xi. Joel Minor b. 25 Feb 1744 Lyme, New London, CT; d. 1755 Lyme
xii. Parnel Miner b. 1750 Lyme, New London, CT; d. 1 Jan 1772 Lyme; m. 6 Dec 1770 Lyme to Tillie Merrick (b. Sep 1743 West Springfield, Hampden, Mass. – d. 1836) Tillie’s parents were Joseph Merrick and Mary Leonard.
3. Joseph Miner
Joseph’s first wife Jemima Cady was born 23 Jun 1708 in Pomfret, Wingham, CT. Her parents were first cousins Ezekiel Cady and Abigail Cady. Ezekiel’s parents were Daniel Cady (1659 – 1734) and Mary Green ( – 1736). Abigail’s parents were James Cady (1655 – 1690) and Hannah Barron (1658 – ) Jemima died 27 Sep 1739 in Old Lyme, New London, CT.
Joseph died before April 1758 when his second wife Hannah [__?__] married Joseph’s cousin Clement Miner.
Clement Miner Jr. was born on 14 Dec 1700 New London, CT. His parents were Clement Miner and Martha Mould. His grandparents were Clement MINER and Frances BURCHAM. On 9 Jan 1721/22, he married Abigail Turner, daughter of Ezekiel Turner and Susanna Keeney. Complicating this tangled family web, Susanna married Clement Jr’s Uncle Joseph after Ezekiel died.
Clement and Abigail had 10 children; the first 8 were born in New London, and the last 2 were recorded in Norwich. She died on 23 Sep 1756. He married second Hannah, widow of Joseph Miner, on 20 April 1758. He died on 9 Aug 1775 and was buried in Bill Hill Cemetery in Lyme, CT.
Children of Joseph and Jemima
i. Mary Miner
ii. Daniel Miner b. 28 Jun 1724 New London, CT; d. 1763; m. 1752 to Esther Prentice (b. 7 May 1728 – d. 14 Apr 1813 East Lyme, New London, CT) Esther’s parents were Joseph Prentice and [__?__] Daniel and Esther had six children.
iii. Sarah Miner b. 1726 East Lyme, New London, CT; m. 18 Jul 1754 New London to her first cousin John Stebbins (b. 16 Oct 1732 New London – d. New London) John’s parents were Clement Stebbins and Sarah Miner (See below). Sarah and John had six children born between 1755 and 1767.
iv. Lydia Miner b. 1732 Lyme, New London, CT; m. 25 Jan 1753 Lyme to Joshua Rogers (b. 10 Sep 1711 East Lyme – d. 28 Dec 1756 East Lyme) Joshua’s parents were Rowland Rogers (1680 – 1712) and Mary De Wolf (1684 – 1733) Joshua first married 14 Feb 1732 East Lyme to Experience Lanphere (b. Jan 1711 Westerly, Washington, Rhode Island – d. 11 Aug 1752 East Lyme) and had six children. Joshua and Lydia had two children 1755 and 1756.
v. John Miner b. 1734 Lyme, New London, CT
vi. Elizabeth Miner b. 1736 Lyme, New London, CT
4. Susanna Miner
Susanna’s husband John Brown was born in 1700 in Stonington, New London, CT. He was her second cousin. His parents were John Browne and Elizabeth Miner. His maternal grandparents were Ephraim Miner and Hannah Avery. His great grandparents were Thomas MINER and Grace PALMER. John died in 1727.
Children of Susanna and John
i. Jedediah Brown b. 21 Mar 1728 New London, New London, CT; d. 31 May 1782 New London; m1. 9 Aug 1753 Canaan, CT to Phebe Way (b. 3 Sep 1727 Wallingford, CT – d. 1799 Canaan, Litchfield, CT) m2. 1762 New London to his first cousin Sarah Stubbins (b. 1732 New London – d. 1762 New London) Sarah’s parents were Clement Stubbins and Sarah Miner (See below)
ii. John Brown b. ~1732 Old Lyme, New London, CT
iii. Ephraim Brown b. ~1736 Old Lyme, New London, CT
6. Thomas Miner
Thomas’ wife Martha Stebbins was born 10 Aug 1705 in New London, New London, CT. She was Thomas’ first cousin. Her parents were John Stebbins and Phebe Miner. Her maternal grandparents were Clement MINER and Martha Wellman. Martha died in 1755 in Lyme, New London, CT.
This Thomas has been confused with another Thomas, son of Clement Miner and Martha Mould. He may be the Capt. Thomas Minor who was buried on 9 Dec 1746 (Hempstead Diar p473).
and reportedly an “old bachelor” that had a sawmill.
Children of Thomas and Martha baptized at the First Church of Christ at New London:
i. Phebe Miner b. 17 Aug 1727 New London, New London, CT; m. 11 Feb 1748 New London to Andrew Mynard (b. 12 Dec 1724 Connecticut) Andrew’s parents were David Minard (~1702 – ) and Rebecca Richards
ii. Darius Miner b. 31 Mar 1729 New London, New London, CT;
iii. Jerusha Miner b. 5 Dec 1731 New London, New London, CT; d. 28 Dec 1732 New London
iv. Naaman Miner (twin) b. 19 May 1734 Lyme, New London, CT
Naaman was a commander of the armies of Ben-Hadad II in the time of Joram, king of Israel. He is mentioned in 2 Kings 5
v. Naoma Miner (twin) b. 19 May 1734 New London, New London, CT; m. 1754 to William Dixon (b. 1731 Connecticut)
Naoma is a variant of Naomi.
vi. Christopher Miner b. 13 Jan 1736 New London, New London, CT; m. 1758 Abigail Way (b. ~1738 Connecticut – 1794 Massachusetts)
vii. Jerusha Miner b. 8 Oct 1738 New London, New London, CT; d. 30 Jun 1741 New London
viii. Rebecca Miner b. 23 Jul 1740 New London, New London, CT; d. 1742 – New London,
ix. Grace Minor b. 1742 Lyme, New London, CT; d. 6 Feb 1743 – Lyme, New London, CT
x. Thomas Miner b. 2 Jun 1745 Lyme, New London, CT; d. 1812 Nassau, Rensselaer, NY; 1771 – New London to Hannah Irish (b. 1750 Stonington, New London, CT) Hannah’s parents were John Irish (1720 – 1801) and Mary Peckham (1724 – 1799)
He is believed to be the Thomas of Colebrook, CT from 1786 (on grand jury) through about 1813 (deed says he is of NY) when he probably went to live with his daughter, Martha in Rensselear County, NY. His first wife not proven – aged above 45 in 1800 census. She may be Hannah Irish, daughter of John Irish of Stonington, CT. (John Irish died in 1801 leaving a will that mentions his daughter Hannah, wife of a Thomas Miner.) Thomas was still married to a Hannah as mentioned in a lease dated 10 Jan 1810, but she seems to be a younger woman aged 26-45 in 1810 census. Census counts indicate he had as many as 10 children.
1790 census – Colebrook, Litchfield, CT: 2-7-3
1800 census – Colebrook, CT: 11011-00201
1810 census – Colebrook, CT: 10011-20010
Children probably from first wife and born in Colebrook:
xi. Grace Minor b. 30 Aug 1747 New London, New London, CT
xii. Susanna Minor b. 30 Jul 1749 in New London, New London, CT
7. Sarah Miner
Sarah’s husband Clement Stebbins was born 8 Mar 1701 in New London, New London, CT. She was Clement’s first cousin. His parents were John Stebbins and Phebe Miner. Her maternal grandparents were Clement MINER and Martha Wellman. Clement died in 1784 in New London, CT.
Children of Sarah and Clement
i. Sarah Stebbins b. 25 Jan 1728 New London, New London, CT; d. 15 Oct 1736
ii. John Stebbins b. 16 Oct 1732 New London, CT; d. New London’ m. 18 Jul 1754 New London to his first cousin Sarah Miner (b. 1726 East Lyme, New London, CT) Sarah’s parents were Joseph Miner and Jemima Cady (See above) John and Sarah had six children born between 1755 and 1767.
iii.Sarah Stubbins b. 25 Jul 1734 New London, New London, CT; m. int. pub. 23 Jun 1754 to her first cousin Jedediah Brown (b. 7 Sep 1733) Jedediah’s parents were John Brown and Susannah Miner (See above)
iv. Ann Stebbins b. 18 Jul 1736 New London, New London, CT; buried 15 Oct 1736
v. Christopher Stebbins b. 28 Jan 1738 New London, New London, CT; d. 23 Apr 1739
vi. Joseph Stubbins b. 20 Aug 1740 New London, CT; d. 1814 – Shelby, Kentucky; m. 31 May 1764 New London to Elizabeth Beckwith (b. 1745 New London) Elizabeth’s parents were John Beckwith III (1718 – 1790) and Elisabeth Mayhew (1720 – 1790). Joseph and Elizabeth had seven children between 1765 and 1785.
It appears that the entire Stubbins family moved to Orange County, NC around 1784; several of Joseph’s children married there. However, Joseph Stubbins died in Shelby CO, Kentucky after 1814.
1810 Census Shelby, Kentucky
vii. Rebecca Stebbins b. 1741 New London, New London, CT
viii. Ann Stubbins b. 8 Jul 1743 New London
8. Stephen Miner
Stephen’s wife Athaliah Updyke (Updike) was born 1716 in Mercer, New Jersey. Her parents were Lawrence Updyck and Agnes [__?__]. Athaliah died in 1759 in Winchester, Frederick, Virginia.
Children of Stephen and Athaliah:
i. Capt. William Minor b. 1735 Burlington, New Jersey or Frederick County, Virginia; d. 24 Oct 1804 Greene, Pennsylvania, Monongahela Hill Cemetery, Greensboro
“In Memory Of / Cols. John & William Minor / Soldiers In The Revolutionary War / Among The First Settlers In This / Section Of Pennsylvania”
m. 1759 Green County, Pennsylvania to Frances Ellen Phillips (b. 5 Jan 1739 Maidenhead, Hunterdon, New Jersey – d. 13 Dec 1802 Greene, Pennsylvania) Frances’ parents were John Phillips (1720 – 1794) and Anne Tindall (b. 1720), William and Frances had nine children born between 1760 and 1779 Greene County: Stephen, John, Joseph, Phillip, Theophilus, Frances(f), William, Samuel and Noah.; m2. Hannah Beighley (Burghley)
Most of the descendants in the Marshall/Wetzel area descend from son, Samuel, born 26 Jun 1777, and died in Monongalia County, VA/WV, 1 August 1851. Samuel was married to Susannah Clegg, taken prisoner by Indians as a child. His second wife was Permelia Lancaster. During these two marriages, Samuel fathered 21 children.
William and his brother, John, went into western Pennsylvania from Virginia about 1765.
That William was a Wood Ranger Captain in the Revolutionary War is supported by Josiah Prickett’s pension application from Clermont Co. Ohio August 1, 1832, which states that Prickett was hired by Capt. William Minor, on the authority of Col. Williams of Cross Creek, to spy on the Indians who were commiting damage on Dunkard Creek.
Prickett declares that he was among 35 men hired by William Minor of Dunkard’s Creek who was authorized by Col. Williamson to do so, at 5 shillings per day for six months, as a spy, to guard these forts and notify them if any Indian attacks were contemplated. Prickett also declared that Major Carmichael commanded the militia, but not the spies.
According to the Thomas Minor Society, William was a Colonel in the Revolutionary War, serving in the Battle of Eutaw Springs, though Captain is probably correct. DAR Patriot Index says “Cdr”.
William was a bit less prominent in the settlement of Greene Co. than his younger brother Col. John Minor. William became one of Christopher Gist’s settlers on the east side of the Monongahela River in 1763. Some say Blacksville [West Virginia right next to Greene County], but that’s more than 20 miles from the river.
In 1766, William moved to the west side of the Monongahela, locating with his brother Col. John, at the mouth of Big Whiteley Creek. In 1767, he tomahawked a tract of land in the Monongahela Township, where he lived for many years.
http://www.monriver.org/history.htm “When the first pioneers saw the Monongahela River after their long trek from the East Coast across the densely forested mountains, they may have been able to walk across it, especially during dry periods in August and September.
Because of a series of dams built by the Corps of Engineers, the Mon today is deep enough for tow boats with barges to navigate. The dams maintain at least a 9-foot channel for boats. In its natural state, though, the river would be much shallower. So when you think about the river from an historical view, think shallow, which was the same condition of the Ohio River, formed by the Mon and Allegheny rivers at today’s Pittsburgh.
Several attempts were made to establish permanent settlements along the Mon during in the 1700’s, but hostile tribes destroyed them in defense of their claims. The first permanent settlements came shortly after the close of the French and Indian War (1763), but the Upper Mon remained a bloody frontier for three decades.
Relations between the pioneers and the Native Americans were generally hostile, and the pioneers built many forts to protect themselves during the “bloody season,” the summer months when attacks were most likely. Pricketts Fort, just north of Rivesville and accessible from the Mon, is a reconstruction of such a fort. Two of the early settlements were at Dunkard’s Creek (near Point Marion) in 1757 and at Decker’s Creek (Morgantown) in 1758.
Navigation on the river began with canoes, pirogues and bateaux, but as settlements along the Mon grew, pioneers needed means to send goods down-river to Pittsburgh and ports in the south, even as far away as New Orleans. At first, they built flatboats, square cigar-box-shaped vessels about 15 feet wide and 50 feet long that could carry up to 50 tons of cargo. Many settlers traveled further west on such vessels, which were also called Kentucky boats because that was often their goal.
Flatboats could only go down river and were often sold at their destination as lumber or used to build the settlers’ new cabin. Later,keelboats were built. Between 40 and 80 feet in length and about 10-15 feet wide, these vessels traveled both down and up river, propelled by a crew who pushed the boat with long poles. Mike Fink of Pittsburgh was a legendary keelboat character. One of the area’s principal early agricultural products exported by way of the Mon using flatboats and keelboats was Old Monongahela Rye Whiskey.”
In 1772 a meeting was called at Fort Harrod in the interest of making a settlement in Kentucky. Among others, William was present to hear Daniel Boone and George Rogers Clark review the many opportunities of a permanent settlement in Kentucky or Illinois, William elected not to go to Kentucky.
In 1773, he was polled for Virginia and paid the full twenty shillings’ tax to that colony for the year 1772.
In July 1775, Capt. Michael Cresap opened a recruiting station at Fort Teagarden, and issued a call for volunteers for his rifle corps. 80 men were chosen on their ability to shoot a dead center shot at a distance of 300 yards. Every last one of this company was able to sign their own name to the register sheet. This was the first company of soldiers raised west of the Allegheny mountains and the second company in the colony of Virginia to serve in the Revolutionary War. The munster roll contained the name of William Minor.
Cresap’s company was one of nine companies in the Maryland and Virginia Rifle Regiment —four from Maryland and five from Virginia. The two-state composition of the new unit precluded it from being managed through a single state government, and it was therefore directly responsible to national authority as an Extra Continental regiment.
Maryland and Virginia Rifle Regiment, most commonly known as Rawlings’ Regiment in period documents, was organized in June 1776 as a specialized light infantry unit of riflemen in the Continental Army. The American rifle units complemented the predominant, musket-equipped, line infantry forces of the war with their long-range marksmanship capability and were typically deployed with the line infantry as forward skirmishers and flanking elements. Scouting, escort, and outpost duties were also routine. The rifle units’ battle formation was not nearly as structured as that of the line infantry units, which employed short-range massed firing in ordered linear formations. The riflemen could therefore respond with more adaptability to changing battle conditions.
Because most of the newly formed regiment surrendered to British and German forces at the Battle of Fort Washington on Nov 16, 1776, the service history of the unit’s surviving element is complex. Although modern and contemporaneous accounts of the battle convey the impression that it marked the end of the regiment as a combat entity, a significant portion of the unit continued to serve actively in the Continental Army throughout most of the remainder of the war. Elements of the regiment served with George Washington‘s Main Army and participated in the army’s major engagements of late 1776 through 1778. After the death of Captain Michael Cresap, General Washington transferred the Cresap Rifle Corps over to General Daniel Morgan‘s elite Provisional Rifle Corps at its inception in mid-1777. The Maryland and Virginia Rifle Regiment was reorganized in January 1779 and was initially stationed at Fort Pitt, headquarters of the Continental Army’s Western Department, in present-day western Pennsylvania primarily to help in the defense of frontier settlements from Indian raids.
William was the commandant at Fort Statler in 1780, which was one of the most important of the frontier outpost protecting Monongalia County.
About 1774 Stephen Statler moved to Dunkard Creek, just south of the later Pennsylvania-Virginia borderline, in what is now Clay District, Monongalia County, WV. Statler’s Fort was built upon his settlement claim. Near the fort, a few years later, enemy Indians killed one [perhaps two] of Stephen’s sons. The settlement on Dunkard Creek, much exposed to the Indians, was virtually abandoned during the latter part of the Revolution and for a few years afterward.
Report of the Commission to Locaate the Site of the Frontier Forts of Pennsylvania 1896: Statler’s Fort has sometimes been located in Greene county. Dunkard creek, upon which it was located, flows sinuously along the division line of the two states. The following is from the History of Monongahela county, West Virginia, by Samuel T. Wiley, p. 742: “Statler’s Fort—This fort has been located at different points along Dunkard creek. It was on lands now owned by Isaac Shriever. The writer, on visiting the place, found the fort to have stood on the bottom below the graveyard, on a slight elevation above the Dunkard creek bottom. Mrs. Shriever was positive that this was the location, she having heard Mrs. Brown (who was a Statler) tell of being in the fort when twelve years old and who said that this was the spot where it stood. It was but a short distance below Brown’s mills.” It would thus appear that it is properly located in Monongalia county, West Virginia.
William served as Captain of his company of Virginia militia at the Battle of Eutaw Springs, Sep 9, 1781. (for more see my post Carolina in the Revolution)
At Eutaw Springs, Nathanael Greene, with around 2,200 men, came across a British camp under Lieutenant-Colonel Alexander Stewart. The American force formed up in two lines, with the militia in the front line, North Carolina, Maryland and Virginia regulars in the second. A British bayonet charge broke the centre of the American first line. The situation was temporarily restored by the North Carolina Continentals until they too were broken by a British charge, but the Virginia and Maryland troops were sent into the breach and not only repelled the British camp, but forced a general retreat, with the British in some disorder.
The Americans now came into the British camp, where most of them now stopped to plunder the British supplies. The tables now turned again. At the north-east corner of the camp was a strong brick house now defended by the remaining British battalion, commanded by Major John Marjoribanks. This battalion had driven off the American cavalry before pulling back to the brick house. Attempts to capture the house failed, and Marjoribanks was able to restore some order to the rest of the British force. With the newly restored force he was able to drive the American loots from the British camp. One American battalion now returned the favour, and delayed the British advance, allowing the American army to retreat without suffering a rout. The British held the field, and suffered less casualties than the Americans – 85 killed compared to 138 American dead and 41 missing.
Despite the military victory, overall the result of Greene’s operations was to force the British to abandon most of their conquests in the South, leaving them isolated in Charleston and Savannah. The British attempt to pacify the south with the aid of the Loyalists had failed, even before the surrender at Yorktown.
William’s first son Stephen Minor, b. 8 Feb 1760 Greene County, Pennsylvania, first ventured to New Orleans, Louisiana, in 1779. He joined the Spanish army and participated in a military expedition against Fort Charlotte, located near Mobile in British West Florida. Arriving in the Natchez District in the early 1780s, Minor received a commission as a captain in the Spanish army, and he served as the adjutant of Fort Panmure at Natchez. During this time, Minor also assisted Spanish governor Manuel Gayoso de Lemos in various administrative duties. He also provided the Anglo-American settlers and Natchez Indians of the district liaison with the Spanish officials, who often referred to him as “Don Esteban.” After Gayoso was appointed as governor of Louisiana, Minor briefly served as acting governor until the Spanish evacuated Natchez prior to April of 1798, when the Mississippi Territory was created by the United States Congress.
Minor was next appointed as one of the Spanish commissioners responsible for establishing the boundary between Florida and the United States during 1798 and 1799. He was in command of the Spanish forces in Vidalia, Louisiana, when the United States acquired this territory with the Louisiana Purchase in 1803. Minor was also a Spanish boundary commissioner for Louisiana during 1804 and 1805.
Owning plantations on Sandy and Second creeks in Adams County, Minor initially produced indigo and tobacco. Following the example of Governor Gayoso, he began planting cotton around 1795, and by 1797, just one of his plantations was yielding twenty-five hundred bales of cotton annually. Minor also owned forty thousand acres of land east of the Pearl River in Louisiana.
For the story of Stephen’s family of wealthy plantation owners who were ostracized due to their loyalty to the Union, see my post – Stephen Minor – last Spanish Governor of Natchez
ii. Lawrence Minor b. 11 Dec 1737 Mansfield, Burlington, NJ; d. Feb 1819 Burlington, Burlington, New Jersey; m. 8 Dec 1760 in Burlington to Elizabeth Platt (b. 25 Jan 1745 Burlington, New Jersey – d. 15 Jan 1822 Burlington) Elizabeth’s parents were Thomas Platt ( – 1768) and Sarah Dennis (1720 – 1804)
Burlington is just across the Delaware River from Philadelphia.
iii. Samuel Minor b. 20 Nov 1739 Maidenhead (now called Lawrenceville), NJ; d. 19 Jan 1826Uniontown, Fayette, Pennsylvania; Great Bethel Baptist Church Cemetery, Uniontown;
Aged 86 years.
“God will watch my sleeping, dust until he bids it rise, to dwell with him & the just forever above the skies.”
m. 19 Jan 1766 Winchester, Frederick, Virginia to Anna Tindall (b. 10 May 1748 Fayette, Pennsylvania – d. 6 Feb 1830 Uniontown, Fayette, Pennsylvania) Anna’s parents were John Tindall (1721 – 1793) and Elizabeth Hutchinson (1722 -1769) Samuel and Anna had ten children likely born in New Jersey.
Samuel served as a private in Capt. William Huston’s Cumberland County Company for 26 days in 1781.
Samuel served as ensign in the 8th Company of the 3rd Regiment Franklin County, Pennsylvania Militia between 1791 and 1817.
Samuel traveled with his family to VA and on the death of his father to MD. He returned to NJ and married Ann. They settled in Fayette Co., PA by 1809 when he appears in land records.
1810 census – Union township, PA: 01101-00111
1820 census – Union, Fayette, PA: 110102-20211
iv. Sarah Minor b. 1743 Winchester, Frederick, Virginia; d. 10 Jan 1810 Jollytown, Pennsylvania; Burial: Eakin Cemetery, Jollytown; m. 1768 Middlesex, New Jersey to Andrew Dye (b. 1744 Cranberry, Middlesex, New Jersey – d. 5 Jul 1835 Stillwater, Miami, Ohio; Burial Pleasant Hill Cemetery , Pleasant Hill (Miami County)) Andrew’s parents were James Dye and Sarah [__?__]. Sarah and Andrew had ten children between 1771 and 1791. After Sarah died, he married Ann Lamb Evans (1767 – 1843).
Andrew was born in Middlesex County, NJ in either 1744, which agrees with his tombstone, or 1748 based on a record that he was baptized in Christ Church, Shrewsbury, Monmouth County, NJ, 3 Jan 1749, age seven months.
Andrew and his family came to PA in 1771. On 28 Mar 1780 he was recommended as first lieutenant in the Yohogania Co. militia, but there is no further mention of his position, since by the fall of 1780, Andrew had resettled across the Monongahela on Big Whitely Creek, where in May 1785, he had warranted to him a tract of land under the title “Sparrows Nest.”
During the Revolution he was soldier in the Pennsylvania Line (Penna. Arch. Series VI Vol 3, pp 1367) for which service he received a pension.
1790 census for Washington County, PA: 1-4-4
1800 census for Whiteley Twp, PA: 12101-01201
v. Stephen Minor b. 1743 Winchester, Frederick, Virginia; d. Winchester, Frederick, Virginia
Was perhaps the one in the 1800 census of Greene, PA: 01001-00111, and in Union township, PA in 1810: 00001-00011
vi. John Minor b. 5 Jan 1747 Winchester, VA; d. 5 Dec 1833 Greene, Greene, PA and was buried in Monongahela Cemetery, Greensboro, PA; Note this is not the site of his or William’s grave but rather their monument in their name.
“In Memory Of / Cols. John & William Minor / Soldiers In The Revolutionary War / Among The First Settlers In This / Section Of Pennsylvania”
m1. 20 Feb 1771 to Christina Williams ( – 1772), the sister of General Otho Holland Williams, who was a distinguished officer under George Washington acquired high distinction for his gallantry at the battles of Guilford, Hobkirk’s Hill, and Eutaw.
m2. 22 Feb 1776 Washington Greene, Pennsylvania to Cassandra Williams (b. 1750 Greensburg, Westmoreland, Pennsylvania – d. 3 Mar 1799 Greene, Pennsylvania); Cassandra’s parents were Joseph Williams (1720 – 1768) and Prudence Holland (1719 – 1764). John and Cassandra had eleven children born on the farm near Greensboro, PA between 1776 and 1798.
m3. 1800 Greene, Pennsylvania to Jane Wilson (b. 27 Apr 1761 Staunton, Augusta, Virginia – d. 13 Jun 1839 Greene, Pennsylvania) Jane’s parents were Gen. George Wilson (1728 – 1777) and Elizabeth C McCreary. Jane was widow of William G Hawkins. John and Jane had two children Lawrence Lewis(b. 1801) and Sarah Minerva (b. 1803)
John and his brother, William, went into western Pennsylvania from Virginia about 1765.
History of Greene County, Pennsylvania,” – 1888 – About the year 1765, Jeremiah Glassgow, who had been the companion of John Minor in settling at Redstone, hoping to better his condition, crossed the Monongahela and traveled through the forests and thickets which cumbered all the valley of this placid stream, until he came to the neighborhood of Mount Morris, in what is now Perry Township. On the goodly lands which here border Dunkard Creek he selected as pleased his fancy, and toilsomely blazed his tract. At winter time he returned to his former home in Maryland. On returning in the spring he found that a giant of the forest by the name of Scott had, in his absence, taken possession of his tract, and would not be persuaded to give it up to the rightful, or rather original, claimant. Who was the rightful owner was yet to be determined, not by the Marquis of Queensbury rules, but by those of the backwoodsman. It was accordingly agreed that the two should fight for possession, and he who proved himself the better man should have it. Accordingly Glassgow chose his friend John Minor, who had accompanied him from Redstone and had taken lands at Mapletown, as his second, or best friend, and the contestants stripped for the trial.
Glassgow was much the smaller man, though well built. In the first encounters Glassgow was worsted; but practicing wily tactics, in which he seems to have been skilled, he grappled with his antagonist and threw him heavily to the ground. The giant was soon up, but no sooner up than he was again tripped and came heavily to the ground. This was repeatedly practiced until the big man found himself so bruised and exhausted that he could not shake off his assailant. Glassgow was now easily able to give him all the punishment he desired, and when he called for a cessation of the battle, the two arose, shook hands and agreed that the land belonged to Glassgow. Thus in true Horatian and Curatian style was the dispute settled, and Glassgow held the ground which his blood had moistened. Disputes like these were not unusual in those early days of settlement, and we may -learn by this example how the land was originally acquired.
John and Cassandra lived on Whiteley Creek near Greensboro in what is now Greene County, PA.
After Indian troubles had ceased, and peace prevailed in Western Pennsylvania, and the true location of Washington County had been defined and settled, Colonel Minor was three times elected as a member of the Legislature from that county. He procured ultimately the passage of a law which authorized the organization of the county of Greene out of the territory which belonged to Washington County. Subsequently, he held several offices in the new county of Greene, and for several times served as an associate judge of the Court of Common Pleas.
13 Jul 1796 – John Minor was commissioned Associate Justice of Greene County. Some doubt having been entertained by Judge Addison, as to whether the commission issued to Judge Minor on March 17tth, 1796, was constitutional, the same was communicated by him to the Governor, who, to remove such doubt, (the Attorney-General being of the same opinion with Mr. Addison) issued a new commission to Judge Minor, dated the 28th of February,1797. John Minor’s resignation accepted Oct. 7, 1833
1790 census – Washington County, PA: 1 – 3 – 7
1800 census – Greene, PA: 41401-31300
1810 census – Greene, PA: 13001-11111
1820 census – Greene, PA: 000101-00201
Holding a commission as colonel from the governor of Virginia, all South-western Virginia (sic) being then regarded as within the boundaries of Virginia, he was thus recognized by the settlers as commander-in-chief of the militia in that region of the country.
Under the instructions of General Zack Morgan he built stockade forts, and appointed spies and rangers, to insure, as far as possible, protection to settlers against the depredations of the Indians. The cabins of himself and his brother were fortified stockades, and were known as the Minor forts, to which settlers resorted when dangers were apprehended from the approach of the treacherous Indians.
Colonel Minor, under orders, built the flotilla of boats designed for the transportation of the regiment of enlisted soldiers under the command of General George Rogers Clark, who descended the Ohio River with a view of reaching British posts on the Wabash and on the Mississippi. The boats were constructed at the mouth of Dunkard Creek, in Greene County, under the immediate supervision of Colonel Minor. Their completion was greatly retarded by the raids of Indians, which Colonel Minor had to repel by organized companies of flying militia, under his command.
George Rogers Clark (1752 – 1818) was a soldier from Virginia and the highest ranking American military officer on the northwestern frontier during the Revolutionary War. He served as leader of the Kentucky (then part of Virginia) militia throughout much of the war. Clark is best known for his celebrated captures of Kaskaskia (1778) and Vincennes (1779), which greatly weakened British influence in the Northwest Territory.
Because the British ceded the entire Northwest Territory to the United States in the 1783 Treaty of Paris, Clark has often been hailed as the “Conqueror of the Old Northwest.” His younger brother William, one of the leaders of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
9. Samuel Miner
Samuel’s wife Annatie “Hannah” Douw was born 1719 Lyme, New London, CT. Her parents were Andries Douw (1662 – 1751) and Adriana Vandergrift.
Children of Samuel and Hannah:
i. William Minor b. 1740 Hunterdon, New Jersey; m1. 1765 Hunterdon to Catherine Harsac (Hartog) (b. 29 Apr 1744 New Jersey) Catherine’s parents were Hendrik Wilhelm Herzog and Anna Marie Kleckenar (1722 – ) William and Catherine had four children born between 1765 and 1772.
m2. 11 Dec 1777 New Jersey to Charity “Gertrude” Prost and moved to Seneca Co., NY. Samuel and Gertrude had five children born between 1780 and 1788.
William was a soldier in the French and Indian War.
ii. Bertha Miner b. Bridgeport, Gloucester, New Jersey; m. Mr Symondson of NJ
iii. Samuel Miner bapt. 20 Oct 1745 Hunterdon. NJ
iv. Lydia Miner bapt. 23 Feb 1746 Hunterdon, NJ
10. Anne Miner
Anne’s husband Samuel Leach was born 21 Feb 1707 in New London, New London, CT.
Children of Anne and Samuel:
i. Abigail Leach bapt. 31 Mar 1730 First Congregational, New London CT; m. 1751 New London to Thomas Daniels (b. 1728 New London, CT)
ii. Sarah Leach bapt. 29 Aug 1731 ?
iii.Susanna Leach bapt. 7 Nov 1734; m. 23 Mar 1749 New London, New London, CT to Samuel Atwell (b. 1723 New London – d. 1773 New London) Samuel’s parents were Samuel Atwell Sr. (1682 – 1752) and Hannah Baker ( – 1725)
iv. Samuel Leach (twin) bapt. 28 Aug 1737; d. 12 Feb 1761 St Lawrence River
v. Ann Leach (twin) bapt. 28 Aug 1737
vi. Mary Leach bapt. 3 Jul 1739; m. 28 Sep 1758 New London, New London, CT to Michael Mathason (b. 1737 New London, CT)
vii. Elizabeth Leach bapt. 17 May 1741
viii. Lucretia Leach bapt. 17 Jul 1743; m. 5 Apr 1762 Lebanon, New London, CT to Richard Stanton (b. 1739 New London, CT)
ix.Esther Leach bapt. 2 Jun 1745; m. 13 May 1764 New London to John Friend (b. 1743 New London)
x. Lucy Leach bapt. 10 May 1747; m. 12 Feb 1766 New London to John Foster (b. 1745 New London, CT)
xi. John Leach bapt. 23 Jul 1749; m. 3 May 1770 to Mary Gray (b. 1751 New London)
xii. Thomas Leach bapt. 24 Feb 1750/51; m. 14 Oct 1773 to Lois Webb
12. Sylvester Miner
Sylvester’s first wife Lydia Stebbins was born 4 May 1709 in New London, New London, CT. She was Sylvester’s first cousin. Her parents were John Stebbins and Phebe Miner. Her maternal grandparents were Clement MINER and Martha Wellman. Sylvester died in 1762.
Sylvester’s second wife Lydia Chadwick was born in 1740
Children of Sylvester and Lydia Stebbins:
i. Jonathan Minor b. 1749 Old Lyme, New London, CT; m. 22 May 1786 New London, New London, CT to Sarah Holt (b. 1765 New London) Jonathan and Sarah had seven children born between 1787 and 1798.
A Jonathan Minor was taken prisoner at the Battle of Fort Griswold, fought on Groton Heights near the close of the Revolutionary War, September 6, 1781.
ii. [__Son?__] Minor d. 8 Oct 1753
iii. [__Daughter?__] Minor b. 14 Oct 1753 Old Lyme, New London, CT; d. 14 Oct 1753 Old Lyme
iv. Sylvester Miner b. ~ 1756 New London, CT; d. 24 Aug 1832 Preston, Chenango, New York; m. 1792 to Susan Stanley (1754 Goshen, CT – 20 Dec 1835), Susan’s parents were Timothy Stanley and Mary Bailey. Sylvester and Susan had three children born between 1793 and 1799.
1790 census – Waterford, CT: 1 – 1 – 1
1800 census – Burlington, NY: 20010-10010
1810 census – Preston, NY: 01101-00101
1820 census – Preston, NY: 000001-00001
v. Stephen Minor b. 1759 New London, New London, CT; d. 9 Feb 1835 Waterford, New London, CT; m. 3 Mar 1790 New London to Mary Crocker (b. 1768 – 14 Mar 1851) Both buried in Jordan Cemetery, Waterford, CT. Stephen and Mary had six children born between 1792 and 1804.
1790 census – Waterford, CT: 1 – 0 – 1
1800 census – Waterford, CT: 20010-20010
vi. Christopher Minor b. 1760 New London, New London, CT; d. 30 Mar 1823 Waterford, New London, CT and was buried in Mullen Hill Cemetery.; m. 7 May 1790 to Rebecca Brooks (b. 1768) Christopher and Rebbeca had three children born between 1792 and 1795.
Children of Sylvester and Lydia Chadwick:
vii. Rebecca Minor b. 1762 Lyme, New London, CT; d. 1829; m. 26 Dec 1779 New London to Louis Manierre (b. 1755 in France – d. 23 Mar 1794 – New London, CT) Rebecca and Louis had six children born between 1780 and 1792.
1790 census for New London County: 2-3-4
1810 census for New London: 20010-20010
Some say Rebecca Miner/Minor who married Louis Manierre was not a true Miner, but rather, a member of the Maynard/ Minerd family, some of whom changed the spelling to Miner.
According to the “History of New London, CT.” by Frances Manwaring Caulkins (1895), Louis Manierre (Sr.), a French Protestant, settled in the town (New London) in 1785.
According to the family history of the family Miner, held at the Florence Griswold Museum, Old Lyme, CT., Rebecca Miner, born 1762, married Louis Manierre, a hugenot from France who served under Lafayette in the RevWar.
14. Elihu MINER Sr. .(See his page)
Thomas Minor Family History – Willam Miner
Pingback: 111. ELIHU MINER | Miner Descent
Pingback: 3. Clement Miner | Miner Descent
Pingback: Joseph Beckwith | Miner Descent
Pingback: Unusual Names | Miner Descent
Pingback: Veterans | Miner Descent
Pingback: Elihu Miner Sr. | Miner Descent
Found this website. Here is my lineage,. Im looking for family
Thomas Miner Minor (1608 – 1690) is your 10th great grandfather
Clement Miner (1639 – 1700) Son of Thomas
William Miner (1670 – 1725) Son of Clement
Samuel Miner (1708 – 1745) Son of William
William Miner (1741 – ) Son of Samuel
William Miner (1768 – ) Son of William
William Miner (1792 – 1869) Son of William
John Durbin Miner (1824 – 1868) Son of William
William White Miner (1854 – 1926) Son of John Durbin
Charles Henry Miner (1882 – 1959) Son of William White
Vern H Miner (1913 – 1985) Son of Charles Henry
Ronald Vern Miner Sr (1939 – ) Son of Vern H
ME John Patrick Miner You are the son of Ronald Vern
Pingback: Stephen Minor – last Spanish Governor of Natchez | Miner Descent
Pingback: Steven Minor’s Children – Decadent Unionists | Miner Descent
Do you know how many children Stephen Minor who died in 1750 left behind? Most trees show John Minor
But a few list an Anna Minor, although they typically give the birthdate for Samuel Minor’s wife Anna (1749). Thank you
I have hit a brick road (6 yrs ago) for my 4th great parents, Joshua Minard (1763-1841) & his wife Phebe (supposedly) Dutcher. Unable to find parents of either. Can anyone help? Please.
My grandfather claimed our Minards were French but that is only hear say.