Evert Pels

Evert PELS (1624 -1686 ) was Alex’s 10th Grandfather; one of 2,048 in this generation of the Shaw line.

Evert Pels - Coat of Arms

Evert Pels (Pells, became Pultz) was born on 5 Jun 1624 in Stettin (Szczecin), Pomerania, Pressen, Germany [now Poland].  Stettin was a main residence of the Duchy of Pomerania until the Treaty of Stettin (1630) put the town under Swedish control, though its population remained predominantly German.  After the last Griffin duke had died during the Thirty Years’ War in 1637, the duchy was partitioned between Brandenburg-Prussia and Sweden. Maybe that’s why the Pels left town.

His parents were Schepen Evert PELS (1600 – 1680) and Jannetje SCHEPMOES. He married Jannetje SYMONDS on 15 Dec 1641 in Amsterdam. The witness to the marriage was Evert’s uncle Pieter Smits of Amsterdam.  The “banns”, dated 31st November 1641 stated the intent of Evert Everts Pels, old 29 years and Jannetje Symonsdr., old 18 years, to get married. Evert was accompanied by his uncle and Jannetje by her mother. This means that Evert must have born around 1612. It could also mean that Evert’s parents were dead or unable to attend (living in Germany) and most likely that Jannety’s father was dead. It also stated that Evert was a sailor.

Huwelijks Aangifte (Marriage Intentions for all Dutch Reformed Churches in the City of Amsterdam), Film 113201, Vol. 475

Compareerden als voren Evert Everts Pels van Statijn varensgezel out 25 jaren wonende in de Hasselaersteeg, geen ouders, geassisteert met zijn oom Pieter Smit, en Jannetje Sijmonsdr. out 18 jaren wonende als voren geassisteert met haer moeder Claertje. Den 31 November 1641.

Appeared as before Evert Everts Pels from Statijn, sailor, aged 25 years, living in the Hasselaersteeg, having no parents (living in Amsterdam), accompanied by his uncle Pieter Smit, and Jannetje Sijmon’s daughter, aged 18 years, living in the same place, accompanied by her mother Claertje. 31 November 1641.

De 15th Dito heft D. Holbekijus getrout als volgt:  Evert Everts Pels met Jannetje Sijmons.

The 15th of the same (December 1641) Dominie Holbekijus married as before:  Evert Everts Pels with Jannetje Sijmons.

Evert died on 29 Jun 1686 in Esopus, (Later Kingston), Ulster County, New York. He was buried in Greenbush NY.

Evert Pels, from Stettin, Pomerania, his wife and a servant came from Amsterdam, Holland, to the colony of Rensselaerswyck in 1642. While still in Amsterdam, on 5 Jun 1642, he was engaged as a brewer for the term of six years, they were to travel to the Colony of Rensselaerswyck to work the Patroon, Kiliaen Van Rensselaer, who remained in Holland but had engaged others to administer the Colony for him and his partners, who formed a Board of Directors for the Colony.  Evert Pels, his wife and a servant came on the ship Den Houten. and landed in New Amsterdam, now New York City. They then went up the Hudson River to Beaverwyck, now Albany, New York.

Evert Pels contracted to be a Brewer for his first six years in Rensselaerswyck

Evert Pels was a freeman. He paid his own way to the Colony and was therefore not indentured to the patroon for a number of years as were those who bound them selves as servants to the patroon for a number of years in exchange for passage to the Colony. The document, dated 3 Jun 1642, that gives the details of Evert Pels emigration does not give the name of his wife, Jannetje Symons, but we now know that she is the wife who came with him from Amsterdam. Nor does the memo give the name of the servant who came with them.

Jannetje Symons was born 22 Sep 1624 in Amsterdam, Holland.  Her parents were Symon FLORISZEN and Claertje ARENTS.     Her parents were NOT Symon Florizen Groot (1602 – 1699) and Rebecca De  Trieux (c. 1636 – 1689) as is often reported.  That couple did not marry until over 20 years after Jannetje was born and Rebecca is a decade younger than Jannetje. THAT Symon came to New Netherland about the year 1645, as boatswain of the ship Prince Maurits (120-2), and purchased a house of Jacob Roy in New Amsterdam. About ten years later he became a resident of Beverwyck where he purchased a house lot and remained until 1663, when he hired a bouwery of 25 or 30 morgens at Schenectady of Gerrit Bancker and Harmen Vedder. (120-3)  He married Rebecca, daughter of Philip Du Trieux of New Amsterdam, and had six sons and four daughters; of whom Symon, Abraham, Philip, Dirk and Claas were captured by the French and Indians and carried away to Canada in 1690. Symond and Rebecca were away from home in Albany for a baptism.  The year following they were redeemed.

Jannetje died on 2 Sep 1683 in Kingston, Ulster, New York.

Jannetje’s sister Marretje Simons Schepmoes was baptized 12 October 1632 in the Nieuwkerk (New Church), Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands to Sijmon Floriszen and Claertje Arents.   There were five sisters, Lijsbet, Machtelt, Marij (who probably died young), Marretje and Jannetje, and three brothers, Floris, Arent (who probably died young), and Arent.

Marretje seems to have arrived from the Netherlands as an indentured servant to Pieter Pietersen Harder “in the city of New Amstel, on the South River”.

Evert PELS, the husband of her sister Jannetje, paid for the remainder of her indenture in 19 February 1659. Marretje married Jacob Barensten Cole, son of Barent Jacobsen KOOL after 1660 in Kingston, New York.  The Cools lived in Wildwyck/Esopus (now Kingston, Ulster, New York) where he worked for Juriaen Westfael, a farmer, and Marritje also worked, probably as a laundress. They moved to New Amsterdam (New York City) in 1667, where Jacob became a porter in the Weigh house and a beer and wine carrier like his father. By 1689, they had returned to Ulster County, where Jacob took an oath of allegiance.

Children of Evert and Jannetje:

Name Born Married Departed
1. Hendrick Vosberg Pels c. 1643
Renselaerwyck, NY
Indian Girl
2. Annatje Pels c. 1646
Hendrick Cornelisse Van Ness
21 Oct 1663.
16 Nov 1688
3. Evert Evertse (Evertszen) Pels Jr. c. 1648 Papscanee Island, NY Brechtje Elswaert (Bridget Elsworth)
13 Sep 1670 New York City
bef. 30 May 1678
4. Clara Pels baptized
10 Sep 1651 New Amsterdam
Gerret Aertse Van Wagenen (brother of Jacob Aerstsen)
5. Marie Evertsz Pels c. 1655
Greenbrush, NY
Capt. Arie Heymansse Roosa
27 Oct 1679
Hurley, Ulster, NY
After 1714
Rhinebeck, Dutchess, NY
6. Elizabeth Evertsz Pels c. 1657
Jochem Engelbertz Van Namen
3 Nov 1676 Old Dutch Church, Kingston
Cornelius Masten
7. Sara PELS 3 Jul 1659
Jacob AERSTSEN Van Wagenen
25 Feb 1677
8. Rebecca Pels 13 Nov 1661
Esopus (Kingston) NY
Jeronimus Hans Barheit
9 Apr 1684 Albany
9. Symon (Simon) Evertsz  Pels 29 Mar 1665 Esopus Maritie Hendrix
1 Jan 1683 Old Dutch Church, Kingston

Evert Pels was an enterprising man. After his 6 year contract as a brewer was finished; on 28 Feb 1648, he leased a farm on Papscanee Island for six years, at f560 a year, but after building a new house and barns, he transferred the lease 14 Jan 1649, to Juriaen Bestvall and Jochem Kettelheym.  Both Bestvall and Kettelheym  had come to the New Netherlands on the same ship as Evert.  These two men had come to the colony by contracting with the patroon to work for 6 years as laborers. Their time was now served and they were able to lease a farm and work for themselves. Evert Pels turned the farm over to them on 25 Mar 1649.

18 Nov 1649, he leased jointly with Willem Fredericksz (Bout), a farm in Greenbush, for which he is charged in the accounts with an annual rent of f400, from 1 May 1649 until 1661 when he moved to the Esopus; the same day they also leased the saw and grist mill in Greenbush, for which he is charged with an annual rent of f125, from 1 May 1649, till 1 May 1658.

Both Papacanee Island and Greenbush are a couple miles south of present day Albany. Today, a part of the island has been set aside as the Papscanee Island Nature Preserve, drawing birdwatchers, hikers, kayakers, and picnickers. Scenic trails cover seven miles and include interpretive signs to educate visitors about the island’s plants, trees, and shrubs.  Greenbush was part of the Manor of Rensselaerswyck, and Albany County prior to Rensselaer County’s creation in 1791. Early settlement along the Hudson River shoreline occurred around 1628/29 and in 1669 a fort was built on Papscanee Island.


Evert's farm is now Papscanee Island Nature Preserve

With rich soil and abundant water, Papscanee Island has long been home to farmers, beginning with the Mohican (Mahikan) Indians and then Dutch settlers. Actually a peninsula that stretches out into the eastern side of the Hudson River, Papscanee Island, named for a high-ranking Mohican chief, can be seen from the steps of the capitol in Albany, six miles away.

Today, a part of the island has been set aside as the Papscanee Island Nature Preserve, drawing birdwatchers, hikers, kayakers, and picnickers. Scenic trails cover seven miles and include interpretive signs to educate visitors about the island’s plants, trees, and shrubs.

Evert also owned a sloop on the river and a lot on Broadway in Manhattan, which he sold in 1656. In 1657 he sent down to New Amsterdam 2100 beaver skins. He advised the Director of the colony on Horses and other farm animals.

In the Colony of Rensselaerswyck, they were living on a frontier. The village of Beaverwyck was adjacent to Fort Orange, which was established to conduct the fur trade with the Indians. Even the name Beaverwyck reflects that the fur trade with the Indians was the main purpose for the settlement at Albany. There were fewer than 1000 settlers living from New Amsterdam to Fort Orange.

The settlement went as far north as Albany for two reasons, one, because the level of the Hudson River, raises one foot there at high tide, and that is as far as the sailing ships could travel up the river to bring trade goods and supplies from Holland and to transport the fur pelts down the river to New Amsterdam; and two, The Mohawk River flows into the Hudson River near Albany; and this allowed Indians from western New York to bring furs more easily. Traders did not travel about the Indian nations to trade for furs. Instead, the Indians brought their furs to Beaverwyck and the trading was conducted there. Goods coming from Europe were unloaded from the ocean going ships at New Amsterdam (now New York) and reloaded on a river yacht for transport up the river to Beaverwyck.  The trip up river took several days.

The colonists were living in the midst of several Indian nations. The settlements did not go very far inland from the river. Their surrounding were really primitive. They lived in Log houses and the town was surrounded by palisades.

The Manor of Rensselaerswyck was originally deeded by the Dutch West India Company in 1630 to Kiliaen van Rensselaer, a Dutch merchant and one of the company’s original directors. Rensselaerswyck lay on both sides of the Hudson River near present-day Albany and included parts of the present New York counties of Albany, Columbia, Greene, and Rensselaer.

The patroonship lasted successfully for more than two centuries, dying with its last patroon, Stephen van Rensselaer III in 1839. At his death, van Rensselaer’s land holdings made him the tenth richest American in history to date.The manor was split between Stephen III’s sons, Stephen IV and William. Farmers began protesting the feudal system and the anti-rent movement was eventually successful, causing Stephen IV and William to sell off most of their land, ending the patroonship in the 1840s.

Ever Pels and his Family moved to the Esopus in April, May, or June of 1661.  As mentioned above,  he, his family and a number of friends bought land in the Esopus, the region around the Esopus river where Kingston, New York is now located.

The earliest known sale of land in the region of the Esopus involved a parcel sold by the Esopus Indians to Thomas Chambers, a carpenter and farmer residing at that time in Rensselaerswyck. The patent was confirmed on 5 Jun 1652. Though out the early history of the settlement, the presence of the Indians cast an ominous pall over the whole community. They were particularly vulnerable in their scattered houses and were often at fault for the bad relations. Director-General Peter Stuyvesant recognized the danger to them, and at his urging the settlers signed a bond on 31 May 1658, agreeing to erect a palisaded village and demolish their separate dwellings. Then on the night of 20 Sep 1659, a group of settlers and soldiers senselessly shot three Indians, killing one of them. The result was the First Esopus War, which did not end until the signing of a peace treaty on 15 Jul 1660.

Despite the war and the uneasiness of the ensuing peace, the population of the community continued to grow. By 2 May 1661, the hamlet had been named Wildwyck by Stuyvesant. About May of 1662 a second community was established nearby, called Nieuw Dorp (New Town) [now Hurley] which was settled by former residents of Beaverwyck and Wildwyck. The farmland bought by Evert Pels was between Wildwyck and Nieuw Dorp.

The fragile peace ended on 7 Jun 1663, when the Indians burned Nieuw Dorp and attacked Wildwyck.  On that morning a number of Esopus Indians entered Wildwyck [now Kingston] to sell their produce, corn and beans to the settlers, between 11 and 12 in the forenoon, some people on horseback, rushed thru the Mill gate, from the New Village, crying out “the Indians have destroyed the New Village.” Upon hearing this, the Indians fired a shot and attacked the settlers at each house with axes, tomahawks, rifles and pistols. Sixteen settlers were killed and a number were carried off as prisoners.

Everts Pels’ son Hendrick was one of those who were carried off. He was not found until a year and a half later; by that time he had married an Indian girl and had a child. He lived among the Indians for the rest of his life.

The resulting loss of life, concern for settlers taken hostage, and heavy loss of property had a long-lasting effect upon the community. A peace treaty was concluded on 15 May 1664.

New trouble came to the Esopus from a new source. English forces sent by the Duke of York seized New Amsterdam on 8 Sep 1664; and on the 25th Wildwyck was placed under the authority of the Duke. New Netherlands and New Amsterdam were renamed New York and Beaverwyck became Albany. The name Wildwyck fell into disuse, the new community was generally referred to as the Town of Esopus. Peter Stuyvesant retired to the life of a private citizen and the residents of Esopus struggled to adjust to the change in rule.  It was not easy. All the problems of life under an occupation force faced the settlers. They were compelled to board soldiers in their homes and to suffer insults and abuse from the armed troops. Reaction against such treatment culminated in the Esopus Mutiny of 4 Feb 1667. This armed threat to English rule subsided after a few hours . Governor Richard Nicholls wisely chose to mete out punishment to soldiers as well as civilians, but incidents continued to occur (See Esopus Mutiny for more details)

The court of Esopus assigned that original settler Thomas Chambers and Evert Pels to meet with the British to try to settle the matter as follows:

“Thomas Chambers, Captain and overseer, and Evert Pels overseer, are hereby authorised, by the Court to acquaint Captain Broadhead, the answer of the Inhabitants, that Cornelis Barentsen Sleight by him Imprisoned, might be Relaxed, out of his Imprisonment, for to prevent further trouble and danger; and in Case the afore said Cornelis Barentsen Sleight, hath offended the said Captain Broadhead, that the said Broadhead (:according to the Governors Order:) Should sue him to the Court, for to be Examined and Corrected, dated in Wiltwyck this 4/14 of Feb. 1667. Wm Beeckman, Jan Joosten, Roelof Swartwout”

“In answer to this above standing, Captain Broadhead Replyes, that he will keepe Cornelis Sleight in apprehension, as Longe he thincks good, and in Case the Inhabitants will fetsh him by force, that he Would Waight uppon them, dated in Wiltwyck this 4/14 off Feb. 1667″
Thomas Chambrits
Evert Pels

On 6 Apr 1668, Governor Nicolls granted land in a new patent at the Esopus to a number of his soldiers. A village was established there, which ; under his successor, Francis Lovelace, was name Marbletown on 17 Sep 1669. On the same day Nieuw Dorp was renamed Hurley, and on 25 Sep, Esopus became Kingston.

The war in Europe between England and the Netherlands reached New York when a Dutch force; under Anthony Colve recaptured New York City on 30 Jul/9 Aug 1673. The Esopus was reduced by the Dutch on 5 Aug.  Colve became Governor General on 9 Sep and reestablished Dutch rule. Among other changes Kingston was renamed Swaenenburgh. However, under the Treaty of Westminster, the colony was returned to English control on 31 Oct 1674. Edmund Andros became Governor on that day, and Swaenenburch became Kingston once again.

Instructions of Evert Pels, A. Jansen, court messenger, and R. Gouldsberry.

1.) They shall immediately depart for the purpose of learning the condition of affairs at New York, because we have been informed that there are some Holland vessels there for the purpose of taking the country. 2.) They shall sail in a boat until they shall meet some yacht or Christians whom they shall ask how things are in New York, and having received trustworthy information shall return immediately and report to us. August 5, 1672, at Kingston, by the honorable court at Kingston, (Signed) W. LaMontagne, secretary.

5  Aug 1672, it was resolved to dispatch Evert Pels and Robbert Gouldsberry to New York for the purpose of receiving information about the state of affairs at New York. And each of them shall receive a sch. of wheat per day for their trouble. It was also resolved that a man shall watch at the Ronduyt. It was also resolved that Capt. Chambers, at the least report, shall call the burghers here to arms in the village, and then to send delegates to the troops, and in the meantime to act in accordance with re reply we shall expect from them.

We the magistrates, burghers, and residents of the village of Kingston and Jurisdiction of the same, declare under oath that, owing to the surrender of the country hitherto called New York, on account of which we have be discharged from the oathe of allegiance taken to his majesty of Great Britain, we absolutely submit to the authority of their High Mightinesses the Lords States General of the United Netherlands and his serene Highness the Prince of Orange, to be true and faithful to them , and at the least written notice of him to shall be here in …

The early history of the Esopus, then, could hardly have been more dramatic. Two Indian wars and three changes of allegiance in twenty-three years formed a tumultuous backdrop against which to attempt to develop a stable social and economic community.  These events tended to retard development, discouraging immigration and settlement. The problems were intensified by the existence of four non-integrated ethnic groups: Indians, Dutch, English, and French. Each of these groups sought to preserve its language and customs. The resulting tensions among these groups were not resolved until long after 1675.

Evert Pel’s Arrival in the New World

3 Jun 1642 In Amsterdam – Memorandum from Kiliaen van Rensselaer for De Johannes Megapolensis

His reverence will please look after my people and goods who in the name of God now go over in the ship den Houttuyn. The persons who sail are the following:
De Johannes Megapolensis Jochim Kettelheun
Machtelt willems, his wife Johan Helms van barlt 49
Hillegont, dirrick, Jan. and Johan Carstensen van barlt
Samuel, his children Juriaen bestvael van Luijderdorp
Abraham Staes, surgeon Claes Jansen van zuaelwijck
_______ _______his servant Paulus Jansen van Geertruijdenbergh
Evert Pels, beer brewer,
his wife Hans vos van badens, h
is servant Juriaen Pauwelsen van sleswyck Cornelis Lambertsen van doorn 50
Hendrick albertsz van londen, 29 years old Geertruijt dries van doesburch, his Wife, 23 years Old
hendrick dries, 21 years old, her brother

It is to be remembered that the said hendrick ablertsen for his three, abraham Staes for his two, Evert Pels for his three must pay the skipper, adriaen dircksen, for their board in the same manner as all the other freemen, but that the board of the farm hands is to be charged to me.”

This memorandum shows that Evert Pels came from Amsterdam to the colony of Rensselaerswyck in 1642, and that he was a freeman and had paid his own way and was therefore not indentured to the patroon for a number of years as were those bound to the patroon. The document does not name Everts Pels’ wife. A marriage record from Holland, printed in the New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, assures us that Jannetje Symons was the wife who came with him from Amsterdam. Nor does the memo give the name of the servant who came with them.   Evert Pels befriended a lot of people in New Netherlands, it would be of interest to know if one of them came over with him as his servant and if he or she was a relative of Evert or of his wife.

Johannes Megapolenis was the first Protestant missionary to the Indians, preceding John Eliot by three months, and the second that was sent by the classis of Amsterdam. Having learned what he called the “heavy language of the Mohawks,” he preached fluently in it, received many converts into the church, and soon exerted a visible influence in restraining the immoralities of frontier life.  Megapolensis was going to Beaverwyck [now Albany]; to be the pastor of the Dutch Reformed Church. He was to head up the contingent of colonists being sent by the Patroon.

Abraham Staes was engaged to be the doctor of the colony of Rensselaerswyck.   Kiliaen van Rensselaer, the Patroon, was a very wealthy jewel merchant in Amsterdam. He never did come to his colony in America. He and his partners obtained a charter from the Dutch West India Company to establish a Colony in New Netherlands. It seems that the Government in Holland recognized that in order to keep their colony of New Netherlands, that they must populate it their own people or the English colonists in New England would overwhelm them. (The population of New England was estimated to be about 10,000 when New Netherlands had but about 1,500.)

The Patroon and the Dutch West India Company seemed to have a love-hate relationship with the colonists. It was necessary to have a population base of farmers and tradesmen to have a strong colony, but the opportunity to make real money was in the fur trade with the Indians. The Patroon and the Company wanted to reserve the profits from the fur trade for themselves. The colonists keep trying to get into trade and business rather than just farming and working as tradesmen. The Charter of the Dutch West India Company and the Freedom and Exemptions Act which authorized the Patroonships gave very sweeping powers to the company and to the Patroons.

We return now to the memorandum to see what arrangements the patroon had made for the colonist’s journey and to see his point of view.

“N. B. The bookkeeper in the colony must regularly see to it that the board of the freemen is charged to their account, as Director Kieft sometimes charges it with that of other people in one lump to the patroon.

He shall take a little care that these persons may get on board and, on their arrival with God’s help at the Manhatans, obtain from the honorable Director Kieft that they, and also my goods, be sent to the colony at the first opportunity and at my expense supplied with food.

On the arrival of these persons in the colony, he shall first see to it that they present themselves to Commis Arent van Corler that he may register them and, with the advice of Officer Adriaen van der donck, assign them to their. work. If the latter should need the two boys from bredael he may take them; otherwise, as the farmers quite unreasonably object to the payment of 16 guilders a year for each servant for my expenses and risk, my proposition subject to further examination there, is that the aforesaid farm hands, or at least some of them, be provided by the commis with board and lodging and the wages which they are to receive charged to me and that then the farmers or others for whom they shall work shall pay their wages to me at such rates as they pay others or at discretion or according to the ability of the persons employed, for in this way I remain master of them to employ them where they are most needed, to wit, for farm or other work with the farmers, between seasons with the tobacco planters, in the saw and grist_mill or wherever else they may be needed, especially in the winter to help the farmers thrash and do what is necessary.

But above all things, as there are few carpenters, my proposition is that some of these fellows who are the most capable be employed to fell trees at the proper season and place and, as far as they are able, to cut them into logs and hew them, so as to lighten the work for the carpenters; and that Halls vos van badens who has been a gamekeeper, be employed at the proper seasons to shoot game for food supply and at other seasons to fell trees as he says that he can do that also, and if necessary to help the farmers of whose work he has good knowledge also.

But everything must be well considered and done as is most profitable to me for I see that everyone seeks his own advantage and not mine. If things are done as here described, I remain master of my people to employ them in the way which is most profitable to me. I also consent that some be turned over to the farmers who are most faithful to me provided they pay me yearly the 16 guilders; but if they dispute this fair arrangement they will do themselves the greatest harm and make me unwilling to send them laborers, De Megapolensis having seen what care, expense and trouble it is to me.

Maurus Jansen van brockhuijsen, who came home before his time was up on a passport from the officer without bringing his accounts with him, and to whom, upon his telling me that some money was still due to him, I paid 50 guilders on condition of repayment if it proved that they were not due, must repay the same with the usual advance. I offered him the liberty to trade in furs up to a certain number, just as obraham Staes, at 20 st a skin he would give only 15 st; perhaps he will seek to trade indirectly in the colony. If he does this, proceedings must be instituted against him according to the contract, which he made with me, his bounden time not expiring till April 1643 and this being at servant’s wages unless be accepts the terms of the farm on which he has been, just as they are. He must do one of two things, either accept my terms as they are without dispute or serve out his bounden time, he has no choice but to adopt one course or the other.

Harry Albertsen, who also came home before his time was up, has consented to pay me a guilder on each skin by way of duty but I have not been able to come to an agreement with him regarding the quantity of the tobacco which he is to give me in addition to the tithes which he conceded. He has been treating with me for the place of ferryman, putting his house near the bevers kil, in order to ferry the people from there to the church neighborhood and back, as the church, the house of the minister, that of the officer and further those of all the mechanics must hereafter be built there, just as Abraham Staes and Evert Pels, beerbrewer, have agreed to settle there, for I do not in any way wish or consent that, with the exception of the farmers and tobacco planters who must have their houses near their farms or plantations, any people following other trades shall hereafter and on the expiration of their years of service settle anywhere but in the church neighborhood, according to the accompanying order and plan, for if everyone lived where he saw it they would be too far separated from one another and in case of sudden attack be in peril of their lives, as sad experience near the…

The patroon had received reports that one of his agents was engaged in questionable behavior and in this memo asks the new Pastor to use his influence to help reform the man’s behavior. We now quote from the memo.

“ I shall not fail to contribute thereto as much as is in my power and to discharge such people as are unserviceable to me if I can get better ones. Good people are few and far between and even if they are good they are easily corrupted there. If Corler should leave there, let him settle as many accounts as possible and turn over all papers, with an inventory thereof, to Anthonie de Hooges, likewise all the merchandise, charging the said de hooghes to take good care of the latter. But if Corler does not leave, hold this order back till his departure occurs or till I issue another order. Every effort ought to be made to stop the excessive drinking and now that there is a public brewer [Evert Pels] I hope that private brewing will cease. Some regulation might be made regarding the beer brewed by him , but as he has not taken a brew kettle with him I do not know what he is going to do.

On page 679 of the Van Rensselaer Bowier Manuscript is a copy of the licence granted by the patroon to Evert Pels to brew Beer in the colony.

June 5, 1642
Another The patroon of the colony of Rensselaerswyck, understanding that several people in this colony outside of their trade occupy themselves with the brewing of beer, which not only hinders the said people in their ordinary work but exposes the houses of the patroon to the danger of fire and in addition causes the said beer to be sold there in an irregular manner at very extravagant and high prices, to wit, at 20 guilders a barrel, to the burden of the community, and wishing to make provision in this matter, has thought advisable and fit for the service of his subjects, to license and authorize, as he does hereby, Evert Pels van Statijn, who is well acquainted with brewing, for the space of six consecutive years, etc.
Finally, he must govern himself according to the laws and ordi nances of the lord patroon or his commissioners and submit
himself to all the clauses and articles relating to the freemen or colo nists of the colony for so far as they do not conflict herewith and which have been read to him, for that purpose, under special pledge and obligation more fully expressed therein. Done at Amsterdam
the 5th of June 1642. Below was written: Evert Pels.

The patroon furnished the animals for the farms which he leased to his Tenant Farmers. In 1651 an inventory was taken of the animals which he had shipped to the various farms of the colony.

Inventory of animals in the colony sent over by Johan Baptist van Rensselaer . Animals found on the farm of Evert Pels, the 10th of February 1651
Horses Years Cattle Years
1 bay gelding, called _ 1 old cow with a blaze
pingsterblom 1 ditto called Kromhoorn
1 stallion, called konning I red cow with a star 8
1 black stallion, called dick kop 1 red heifer 2
I old mare, called de valck 1 bull 3
2 bay mares 3 3 heifer calves 1
I black filly 1 8
“Literally translated, the names of these animals are: Pinkster Bloom, King, Thick Head, The Falcon, Crooked Horn.”’

Evert got in trouble in 1648

Court Proceedings, October 15, 1648
Evert Pels, for having beaten Claes Tyssen, offers to pay the fine provided [by law].
Claes Tyssen declares here before the court and Broer Cornelis that Evert Pels, having with his Cornelis Teunis called him a rascal and a thief.
(35) Evert Pels, appearing on account [ ] …[ ] offers now [ ] but remains [ ] {the brackets indicate that material is missing in the original document, which was damaged in the Capitol fire in Albany.}
[16v] 12 December 1648 Evert Pels summoned on account of wounding Tomes Jansz. Also because he, or his servant, took another man’s cow with out his consent. Also on account of beating Claes Tyssen. Also on account of his delivered grain which he received from Broer Cornelis for his labor and which was delivered to Evert Pels, as he, Pels, admitted on the aforesaid date. Said Pels was summoned also on account of wages earned by Claes Tyssen and on account of the damage of the pease. Finally, E. Pels was summoned also on account of the abusive language used by his wife in addressing the directory, for all of which together he must make an answer on Thursday next, being the 17th of this month.

Court Proceedings, October 15, 1648

The honorable director, plaintiff, against Evert Pels, defendant for having wounded Thomas Jansz in the head with a piece of wood and drawing blood. Demands condemnation according to the ordinance of the Hon. Chartered West India company at the Manhatans, or of Amsterdam, and as Evert Pels had his servant get the canoe of Thomas Jansz without his knowledge or consent, the plaintiff maintains that Evert Pels has forfeited the sum of 25 guilders according to the former ordinance, all cum expensis.

The same, against the wife of Evart Pels. Whereas she slandered the Honorable director and the other members of the court in General, the honorable plaintiff concludes that she is liable to a fine of 300 guilders in accordance with the ordinance, and demands that she be fined five times six guilders, cum expenis.
[19] Evert Pels is ordered to pay and satisfy the 26 guilders which he owes Claes Tyssen, in money or goods, as stipulated, cum expenseis, saving his claim against Cornelis Teunisz.

(54) [20] Extraordinary session, December 19, anno 1648
Resolved that the honorable director shall once more summon Evert Pels to pay the wages of Claes Tyssen within twice twenty-four hours, it being found that he has given two summer skins, valued at 16 guilders, which is not acceptable. And in case he refuse to pay, the director is to advance the money, subject to the restitution of double the amount.
On the 21st ditto, notice was served on Evert Pels in the presence of Mr Hoogens, by affixing said notice to the door.

Jannetje was a witness in an assault case in 1667.

Vol. I, Page 365-366, 15/25 Oct 1667
Madaleen Dircx, Plaintiff vs. Annetie Adriaens, Defendant
“Plaintiff complains that defendant yesterday came to her house with the intention of making trouble, whereupon she was told to leave the house. She not being willing to do so, plaintiff took hold of her sleeve, and said to her that she should go outside, whereupon defendant [that is, ourAnnetje] attacked her [Madaleen], and beat her so that her flesh became discolored in her house.Defendant says that she came to her house for the purpose of paying Jannetie Pels for a sch.[sic – I don’t know what that is, a measurement of some sort] of apples, and that then a few words were said which caused the trouble. Vol. I, Page 365-366, 15/25 Oct 1667
Madaleen Dircx, Plaintiff vs. Annetie Adriaens, Defendant
“Plaintiff complains that defendant yesterday came to her house with the intention of making trouble, whereupon she was told to leave the house. She not being willing to do so, plaintiff took hold of her sleeve, and said to her that she should go outside, whereupon defendant [that is, ourAnnetje] attacked her [Madaleen], and beat her so that her flesh became discolored in her house.Defendant says that she came to her house for the purpose of paying Jannetie Pels for a sch.[sic – I don’t know what that is, a measurement of some sort] of apples, and that then a few words were said which caused the trouble. Jannetie Pels and Henry Palingh declare, at the request of plaintiff, that they were at the house and that they saw and heard that plaintiff did not treat defendant badly, or give her cause for the assault. The hon. court recommends parties to keep the peace, or else it will be obliged to punish according to law.” and Henry Palingh declare, at the request of plaintiff, that they were at the house and that they saw and heard that plaintiff did not treat defendant badly, or give her cause for the assault. The hon. court recommends parties to keep the peace, or else it will be obliged to punish according to law.”


1. Hendrick Vosberg Pels

Evert’s son Hendrick Evertsz Pels, born about 1643-44 probably in Greenbush, Nineteen or twenty years later, on the morning of June 7, 1663, a number of Esopus Indians entered Wildwyck [now Kingston] to sell their produce, corn and beans to the settlers, between 11 and 12 in the forenoon, some people on horseback, rushed thru the Mill gate, from the New Village, crying out “the Indians have destroyed the New Village.” Upon hearing this, the Indians fired a shot and attacked the settlers at each house with axes, tomahawks, rifles and pistols.

The houses were plundered, then set on fire, but a change in the wind saved a part of the village. The villagers rallied and after a desperate struggle succeeded in routing their foe. The total number of missing was seventy, forty-five of whom, mostly women and children, were taken into captivity. Twelve dwellings in Wiltwyck were destroyed, and not a house was left standing in the new village except the mill.  Sixteen settlers were killed and a number were carried off as prisoners. Hendrick was one of those who were carried off. He was not found until a year and a half later. By that time he had married an Indian girl and had a child. He lived among the Indians for the rest of his life.

Note Evert’s boy is not given a name in the records I have seen so the name Hendrick Vosberg may be an invention. In the book “Documents relative to the history and settlement of the towns along the Mohawk” by B. Fernow, Vol. XIII and on page 143, there is a letter written by Derck Smit, Ensign, describing a try to ransom the boy of Evert Pels. It mentions that “the boy has a wife there and the wife is with child, who will not let him go and he will not leave her” It was written Feb. 24, 1660 at Esopus. He was taken captive Sept. 21, 1659. The announcement of the try at ransom would be five months later. So sometime in that time frame, there was a ceremony and then a conception.

The story of the Esopus Chief’s daughter saving the life of (Hendrick?) Pels is virtually identical with Pocahontas saving the life of Captain John Smith.

2. Annatje Pels

Jannetje’s husband Hendrick Cornelisse Van Ness was born circa 1638 at Vianen in South Holland. His parents were Cornelis Hendricksz Van Ness b. circa 1600, d. after 12 November 1684 and Maeyken Hendricks Van Den Burchgraeff b. circa 1605, d. circa 1664 He came to New Netherland with his parents in 1641 and grew to adulthood at Greenbush in Renselaerswyck.  After Annatje died, he married 25 Nov 1688 to Catrina Van Dam. Hendrick died in 1717.

A marriage record in Kingston reads as follows.”Hendrick Cornelisse, vanNes, j.m. of Nieudenderlant in the Colony of Rinsselaerswyck, resid. in the Grenebos [Greenbrush], and Anneken Evers, j.d., of Nieuderlant, in the Colony of Rinsselaerswyck, resid. in Wiltwyck. First publication of Banns 30 Sep. marriage date 21 Oct 1663.”

He came to New Netherland with his parents in 1641 and grew to adulthood at Greenbush in Renselaerswyck.

On October 4, 1673 Hendrick Van Ness was appointed a magistrate of Renselaerswyck and retired from that position on October 27, 1684. He was appointed on September 25, 1683 a deputy of the court of Assizes at N.Y.

Hendrick Van Ness and others, received a patent for 70,000 acres of land in Hoosick northeast of Albany.

3. Evert Evertse (Evertszen) Pels Jr.

Evert’s wife Brechtje Elswaert (Bridget Elsworth) was born

4. Clara Pels

Clara’s husband Gerret Aertse Van Wagenen was born 2 Sep 1648 Albany, NY
baptized 10 Sep 1651.  He was the brother of Jacob Aerstsen and his parents were Aert JACOBSEN (Van Wagenen) and Annetje Gerritse VanDen BURG.  Gerrit died 9 Mar 1723 in Ulster Co., NY.

Maria, who married Arie Roosa who would later join with Gerrit Aertsen and Jan Elting to purchase the Kipsbergen Patent (In the Town of Rhinebeck, directly across the Hudson River from Kingston).

20 Feb 1688 –  Gerrit was granted a tract of 26 acres south of the Esopus Kill, by the trustees of the Village of Kingston.

The tract of land purchased by Gerrit, Arie Roosa, and Jan Elting, consisted of about 1500 acres along the Hudson River, and that tract, with another tract adjacent to it, owned by others, are covered by a patent recorded at Albany in Book 6 of Patents, at pages 328, 329, and 330. A more detailed description of the transaction is found on page 252 of the “History of Dutchess County” by James H. Smith, published in 1882. It is noted that the first deed for lands, in what was later to be Rhinebeck Township, was granted by the Indians on June 8, 1686, and is a transfer on the part of Aran Kee, Kreme Much, and Korra Kee, all Indians, to Gerrit Artsen, Arie Rosa, and Jan Elton, for 6 buffaloes, 4 blankets, 5 kettles, 4 guns, 5 horns, 5 axes, a tin can of powder, 8 shirts, 8 pair of stockings, 40 fathoms of wampum, 5 gallons of rum, 2 drawing knives, 2 adzes, 10 knives, and a frying pan. This land, called “Mausakenning” by the Indians, was a meadow and separate parcel of land that was an outright gift from the Indians.

It later became known as “Jacomyntie’s Fly”, probably named for the wife of Jan Elton (Elting), one time owner of the “Fly”, who sold it to Henry Beekman in 1689. Jan and Jacomynte Elting had a daughter named Aaltje, who later married Gerrit Aertsen’s son Aart Gerritse (Van Wagenen) (#3017). Further information regarding these lands will be found on the following pages, under the heading of “Linwood, Wildercliff and Ellerslie”.

The following are just a few examples of early Dutch justice as written in Kingston Court records:

24 Jun 1673 –  Between Gerrit and Tierck Claesen, a request that Claesen close the fence because of damage suffered. Answered that it was erected prior on the farm of Jacob Hop.

27 Feb 1674 –  Gerrit “asks for payment for the confiscated lumber of Mr. Lavall. Court orders Schout Grevenraedt to pay out of the effects of Mr. Lavall”.

24 Apr 1674 – Between Gerrit and Tierck Claesen, “complainant’s say that defendant made his children break through their fence for the purpose of driving his horses through the same. Answer: That he can only get off his land through the aforesaid fence. He took out the rails, led the horses through, and put back the rails. Jacob Jansen testifies that said children broke the fence, drove the horses through and left the same open. Requests that no one shall drive through. Court orders Claesen not to use the fence. Claesen requests that each shall erect one‑half. Court denies request.

1 Apr 1678 – “Partition and division between heirs of estate of Annetie Gerritsen, widow of AerdtJacobsen”.

20 Mar 1679 – Between Gerrit and Mattue Blansjan, Sr. “Debt. 120 scheples of wheat”.

30 Apr 1679 – Between Gerrit and Tierck Claesen “complains that he has been forbidden to use the road. Court orders that the road shall be used by everybody”.

5. Marie Evertsz Pels

Birthdate of daughter Maria in doubt, is usually shown as 1655 but that seems a bit late since she was supposed to have married in July of 1669. Have further difficulty believing that a couple married in 1669 would have no children recorded until 1679, or that none would be discovered by some means or other, it could be that instead of her birthdate being awry it is the marriage date that has been misreported.

Marie’s husband Capt. Arie Heymansse Roosa was born 03 Jun 1643 in Herwijen, Gelderland, Netherlands. His parents were Albert Heymanse Roosa and Wyntje Ariens JeJong. Arien had four brothers, Heiman, Jan, Aert, and Guert (died young), and five sisters, Eyke, Jannetje, Neeltie, Marritje, and Annetje.   Arie died 1699 in Rhinebeck, Dutchess, NY.

On 16 April 1660,  with his parents and 7 siblings aged 2 to 17 sailed for New Netherland aboard de Bonte Koe. They settled in Wildwyck (later Kingston, Ulster, New York).

Three years later, in 1663, the village was attacked by Native Americans and Arien’s eldest sister and another of the Roosa children were taken prisoners. Nevertheless, Arien and his brother, Jan, ventured out to work in the fields without permission and were caught and fined by the Schout (sheriff). Arien was still a minor at that point.   At least one of the children, Arien’s eldest sister , was held captive until the end of the year. During her captivity, Arien’s father Albert and another man reacted by threatening to shoot two Wappinger Indians who were being questioned by the Dutch and had been promised safety. He was accused of challenging a member of the court at Thomas Chambers’ house on November 6, threatening to fight those who were friends to the Indians. Albert, however, denied the accusation. He was also brought to court for insulting a commissary over the issue of horses provided for the expedition against the Indians.

New Netherland was taken over by the English and tensions ran high between the English soldiers and the Dutch burghers throughout the colony. In 1664, Arien, his father, and Ariaen Huybertsen got into a fight with the English guard over a canoe that belonged to the Roosas. Neither party could speak the other’s language very well and the conflict became physical. In 1665, Arien’s father was summoned to court and many residents thought he would be arrested. A crowd, including Arien, assembled but the situation ended peacefully. Arien told the court that he was on his way to the minister with a message, saw something going on at the guardhouse, stopped briefly, and then continued his errand.

The next incident occurred on 28 April/3 May 1666, when Albert took a broken coulter (part of a plow) and went to the home of Louis Dubois to find the blacksmith to have it repaired. There were a number of inhabitants and soldiers drinking at the Dubois home. One of these soldiers, Francois Vreeman came out of the house and attacked Albert. Albert fought back, throwing part of the coulter at him and fighting him off with a stick. Four other soldiers joined the fight. Albert went underneath one soldier’s sword and took hold of him but Albert was wounded by the other soldiers. Ariaen Huyberts testified that he tried to run to his uncle and was also attacked by the soldiers. He was arrested and said that one soldier beat him in the guardhouse.

Governor Nicolls attempted to ease the tensions between burgher and soldier by replacing the garrison’s commander at Kingston with one Captain Brodhead. Brodhead, however, only worsened the problem with his favoritism towards the soldiers and abusive behavior towards the Dutch. The Dutch openly rebelled when Henderick Cornelissen, the ropemaker, was killed by an English soldier and when Brodhead assaulted, then arrested Cornelis Barentsen Slecht, one of Albert’s former colleagues. A large number gathered together in what became known as the Esopus Mutiny. The burghers refused to obey Brodhead’s order to disperse and Brodhead, in turn, refused to listen to the magistrates’ pleas to compromise peacefully by allowing Slecht to be tried in the burgher court. Afterwards, Nicolls wishing to keep control of his colony by making an example out of those who assembled, ordered the “principal Incendiaries” to be tried in Kingston and sent to New York City for sentencing. Albert and his son Ariaen were among these and were found guilty of “rebellious and mutinous Riot”. In New York City, Nicolls felt the defendants were deserving of death but, at the advice of the Council and the petition of the inhabitants of Kingston, he gave these men a less drastic punishment. Albert, an apparent leader in the “mutiny”, was given life banishment from the colony, as well as confiscation of property. Ariaen was given a shorter term of banishment out of Albany, New York, and the Esopus. Shortly afterwards, however, when the English possession of New Netherland was confirmed, Nicolls granted them amnesty

6. Elizabeth Evertsz Pels

Elizabeth’s first husband Jochem Engelbertz Van Namen was born in 1650.1646 in Heusden, Heusden, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands. His parents were Engelbert Van Namen (1622 – ) and [__?__]. Jochem died 1706 in Kingston, Ulster, New York.

7. Sara PELS (See Jacob AERSTSEN Van Wagenen‘s page)

8. Rebecca Pels

Rebecca’s husband Jeronimus Hans Barheit was born about 1660.  Jeronimus died 29 Jul 1733 in Albany, New York.

9. Symon (Simon) Evertsz Pels

Symon’s wife Maritie Hendrix Aertsen was born 1666 –









This entry was posted in 12th Generation, Immigrant - Continent, Line - Shaw, Pioneer, Public Office, Sea Captain, Storied and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Evert Pels

  1. Pingback: Jacob Aertsen Van Wagenen | Miner Descent

  2. Pingback: Symon Groot | Miner Descent

  3. Pingback: Origins | Miner Descent

  4. Pingback: New England Pioneers | Miner Descent

  5. Pingback: Unusual Names | Miner Descent

  6. Pingback: Aert Jacobsen (Van Wagenen) | Miner Descent

  7. Pingback: Hendrick Alberts | Miner Descent

  8. Pingback: Mathijs Jansen Van Keulen | Miner Descent

  9. Pingback: Barent Jacobsen Kool | Miner Descent

  10. Pingback: Aert Jacobsen (Van Wagenen) | Miner Descent

  11. Pingback: Sijmon Floriszen | Miner Descent

  12. Pingback: Albert Andriese Bradt | Miner Descent

  13. Pingback: Albert Andriessen Bradt | Miner Descent

  14. Pingback: Mathijs Jansen Van Keulen | Miner Descent

  15. Pingback: Hildebrand Pietersen | Miner Descent

  16. Pingback: Esopus Wars | Miner Descent

  17. Pingback: First Esopus War | Miner Descent

  18. Pingback: Indian Kidnaps | Miner Descent

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s