Thomas JEWELL III (1707 – 1772) was Alex’s 7th Great Grandfather, one of 256 in this generation of the Shaw line.
Thomas Jewell was born 10 Sep 1707 in Amesbury, Essex, Massachusetts. His parents were John J JEWELL and Hannah PROWSE. He married Judith LANCASTER on 19 Feb 1731/32 in Amesbury, Mass. After Judith died, he married Marion [__?_]. Thomas died Jun 1772 in Hopkinton, Middlesex, Massachusetts.
Judith Lancaster was born 29 Jul 1704 in Amesbury, Essex, Massachusetts. Her parents were Henry LANCASTER II and Sarah BAGLEY. Judith died 20 Mar 1751 in Amesbury, Essex, Massachusetts.
Children of Thomas and Judith:
|1.||Henry L Jewell||19 Dec 1732
South Hampton, Rockingham, NH
|2.||John Jewell (twin)||25 Jul 1737
Rumford, Merrimack, New Hampshire
|3.||Sarah Jewell (twin)||25 Jul 1737
Rumford, Merrimack, New Hampshire
15 Oct 1766 Hopkinton, Merrimack, NH
|22 Jun 1812 – Henniker, Merrimack, NH|
|4.||Judith Jewell (twin)||5 Jul 1742
Rumford, Merrimack, New Hampshire.
|5.||Sarah JEWELL (twin)||5 Jul 1742 Rumford||Nathan BALCOM
12 Jan 1768 Attleboro, Mass
|c. 1847 at the age of 94|
1 Nov 1765 Georgetown, Lincoln, Maine
|After 1800 – Hancock, Maine|
|8.||Hannah Jewell||22 Sep 1748||1749|
|9.||Anna Jewell||5 Aug 1753||1754|
1. Henry L Jewell
Jewell, Henry Lancaster, 1732-1762 In Capt. Trueworthy Ladd’s Co., Colonel John Hart’s regiment for Canada service, 1758, French and Indian Wars.
Henry once lived in the vicinity of Concord, New Hampshire. He was wounded in the leg, in the ‘Old French’ war, which resulted in the capture of Quebec by General James Wolfe in 1759. Henry died of measles after his return
Between 1758 and 1760, the British military successfully penetrated the heartland of New France, and took control of Montreal in September 1760. France ceded French Louisiana west of the Mississippi River to its ally Spain in compensation for Spain’s loss to Britain of Florida (which Spain had ceded to Britain in exchange for the return of Havana, Cuba).
The Battle of the Plains of Abraham, also known as the Battle of Quebec, was a pivotal battle in the Seven Years’ War (referred to as the French and Indian War in the United States). The battle, which began on Sep 13 1759, was fought between the British Army and Navy, and the French Army, on a plateau just outside the walls of Quebec City, on land that was originally owned by a farmer named Abraham Martin, hence the name of the battle. The battle involved fewer than 10,000 troops between both sides, but proved to be a deciding moment in the conflict between France and Britain over the fate of New France, influencing the later creation of Canada.
Henry’s wife Sarah Gould was born 19 Jun 1730 in Amesbury, Essex, Mass. Her parents were Joseph Gould (1709 – 1757) and Mary Colby (1711 -). After Henry died, Sarah accompanied her children Henry and Enos to Litchfield, Kennebec, Maine, where she married Joseph Huntington (b. 3 Aug 1721 in Amesbury, Essex, Mass – d. 1811 in South Hampton, Rockingham, New Hampshire.) Sarah and Timothy had one son Benjamin Huntington (1766 – 1845). Sarah died at an advanced age in Hallowell, Kennebec, Maine.
Children of Henry and Sarah:
i. Henry Jewell b. 5 Mar 1753 Amesbury, Essex, Mass; d. 20 Aug 1827 Litchfield, Kennebec, Maine; m. 1772 to Sarah Greeley (b. 1760 in Mass.) Henry and Sarah had eleven children born between 1773 and 1798 in Litchfield.
ii. Enos Jewell b. 1754 Amesbury, Essex, Mass; d. 1831 Ogden, Monroe, New York; m1. 1780 in Topsham Sagadahoc, Maine to Deborah Hall (b. 23 Dec 1748 in Marshfield, Plymouth, Mass.) Deborah’s parents were John Hall (1713-1770) and Zilpha Crooker (1724 – ). Enos and Deborah had six children born between 1781 and 1790. m2. 11 Jun 1808 Age: 54 Litchfield, Kennebec, Maine to Abigail Chamberlain
Enos lived near Potter’s Corner in Litchfield, Maine.
Enos Jewell and his wife Abigail (Chamberlain) Jewell were early pioneers of Ogden, Monroe County, New York. (The “Jewell Register” information is incorrect. He did not die in Ogdensburg, St. Lawrence, NY.) Enos and Abigail helped to establish the first church there in Ogden. Enos Jewell married a third time to a woman named Mary (last name as yet unknown). He left his home and land (33 acres) to his granddaughter and “one dollar to each of his other children” in his will.
iii. Joseph Jewell b. 12 Mar 1759 Southampton, NH or Amesbury, Essex, Mass; d. 1812 Albany, New York; m. Feb 1783 to Anna Daniels; Joseph and Anna had three children born between 1783 and 1796.
Joseph was a private in Capt William H. Ballard’s company, Col. James Frye‘s 10th Massachusetts Regiment May 1775, It served in the Siege of Boston until its disbandment at the end of 1775. Col. Frye’s report of Oct 6 1775 places Joseph Jewell as having gone on the Quebec Expedition (See my post Invasion of Canada – 1775).
Joseph was a private in Capt. James Calfe’ company, Col. Pierse Long’s Regiment in the New Hampshire Militia Sept 25 1776 – 1777. At Piscataqua Harbor NH Dec 1776; Same company Jan 7 17777
Long’s Regiment was raised on May 14, 1776 at New Castle, New Hampshire under Colonel Pierse Long for service with the Continental Army. The regiment was stationed at Fort Ticonderoga and Mount Independence on Lake Champlain and fought a delaying action at Fort Ann, New York on July 8, 1777 against the advance units of John Burgoyne’s army. The regiment was disbanded at the end of July, 1777 in northern New York as the one year enlistments of the men ran out before the main engagements of the Saratoga Campaign. Col. Long and some of the men of the regiment joined other New Hampshire regiments that fought at Saratoga.
Joseph was a private in Capt. Frederick M. Ball’s company, Col. Nathan Hale’s (Not to be confused with Nathan Hale, the famous Revolutionary War spy) This Nathan Hale was taken prisoner by the British at the Battle of Hubbardton and died on Sep 23 1780) 2nd Regiment New Hampshire Line. On Jan 24 1777 Joseph was promoted to corporal, enlisting for three years, same company and regiment, 1777, 1778, and 1779. He served to 1781. The 2nd NH saw action at the Battle of Trois-Rivières, Battle of Trenton, Battle of Princeton, Battle of Hubbardton, Battle of Saratoga, Battle of Monmouth, the Sullivan Expedition and the Battle of Yorktown.
Nathan Hale was promoted to colonel on Apr 2, 1777. In the same year he served with Major General Arthur St. Clair at the Siege of Fort Ticonderoga. The Siege took place from July 2–6, 1777 and was between the United States against the British. Arthur St. Clair led about 3,000 men against John Burgoyne and William Phillips who led 7,000 men as well as about 800 Indians and Canadians. Not much was done in the battle and Burgoyne took over Fort Ticonderoga and Fort Independence while the Americans retreated.
Hale fought in the Battle of Hubbardton where he was taken prisoner by the British on July 7, 1777. His surrender there was the subject of controversy. Hale was arrested for treason but was never allowed a trial to explain himself. He was later let off on limited parole where Hale was not allowed to serve in the Army and he had to come back to the enemy lines after two years unless he was exchanged. He returned to Rindge on July 20, 1777. Since he was not exchanged, Hale went back to the prison on June 14, 1779. Hale died on September 23, 1780 in New Utrecht, Brooklyn while in prison.
The Battle of Hubbardton was an engagement in the Saratoga campaign fought in the village of Hubbardton, then in the disputed New Hampshire Grants territory (now Vermont). On the morning of Jul 7 1777, British forces, under General Simon Fraser, caught up with the American rear guard of the forces retreating after the withdrawal from Fort Ticonderoga. It was the only battle in present day Vermont during the revolution. (The Battle of Bennington was fought in what is now Walloomsac, New York.)
The American retreat from Fort Ticonderoga began late on July 5 after British cannons were seen on top of high ground that commanded the fort. The bulk of General Arthur St. Clair’s army retreated through Hubbardton to Castleton, while the rear guard, commanded by Seth Warner, stopped at Hubbardton to rest and pick up stragglers.
General Fraser, alerted to the American withdrawal early on July 6, immediately set out in pursuit, leaving a message for General John Burgoyne to send reinforcements as quickly as possible. That night Fraser camped a few miles short of Hubbardton, and the German General Friedrich Adolf Riedesel, leading reinforcements, camped a few miles further back. Rising early in the morning, Fraser reached Hubbardton, where he surprised some elements of the American rear, while other elements managed to form defensive lines. In spirited battle, the Americans were driven back, but had almost succeeded in turning Fraser’s left flank when Riedesel and his German reinforcements arrived, eventually scattering the American forces.
The battle took a large enough toll on the British forces that they did not further pursue the main American army. The many American prisoners were sent to Ticonderoga while most of the British troops made their way to Skenesboro to rejoin Burgoyne’s army. Most of the scattered American remnants made their way to rejoin St. Clair’s army on its way toward the Hudson River.
The 2nd New Hampshire’s Regimental colours that were captured at Hubbardton and returned to the state of New Hampshire are now housed at the New Hampshire State House in Concord, New Hampshire. It is one of only a few American battle flags from the American Revolution known to still exist. They were lost July 8, 1777, to the British near Fort Anne, New York, when ammunition ran out after a brave defense in which the Ninth British Regiment of Foot were themselves nearly captured. The Americans retreated to General Schuyler’s headquarters at Fort Edward, but Lt. Colonel Hill, the English commander, ended up with their flags and took them to England. They remained there with his descendants until 1912, when they were bought and presented to the New Hampshire Historical Society.”
iv. Thomas Jewell b. 1762 Essex, Mass; d. 1781
4. Sarah Jewell
Sarah’s husband William Peters was born 7 Dec 1740 in Concord or Rumford, Merrimack, New Hampshire. His parents were James Peters (1711 – 1801) and Elizabeth Farnham (1718 – 1793). William was killed by a falling tree 5 Jul 1775 in Henniker, Merrimack, New Hampshire while working with Lt. Samuel Wadsworth. After William died, Sarah married [__?__] Carr.
Sarah and William lived in Henniker, Merrimack, New Hampshire. The township was first known as Number Six in a line of settlements running between the Merrimack and Connecticut rivers. In 1752, the Masonian Proprietors granted the land to Andrew Todd, who called it Todd’s Town. Settled in 1761 by James Peter, it was dubbed New Marlborough by others from Marlboro, Massachusetts. Incorporated in 1768 by Governor John Wentworth, the town was named for Sir John Henniker, a London merchant of leather and fur, with shipping interests in Boston and Portsmouth.
In the 19th century Henniker had a high rate of congenital deafness, and its own sign language, which may have played a significant role in the emergence of American Sign Language. The game of paintball originated in Henniker in 1981.
William’s father James Peters appears on the alarm list of the Henniker train band May 21 1776, Capt. Aaron Adams. He was a signer of the Association Test at Henniker New Hampshhire (65 years of age)
Children of Sarah and William:
i. Sibbon Peters d. prior to 1772 age 6
ii. Joseph Peters b. 1768 Henniker, Merrimack, New Hampshire; m. 20 Nov 1791 Age: 23 to Sarah Carter (b. 6 Apr 1769 in Of Boscawen, Merrimack, NH – d. 12 May 1796 Boscawen, Merrimack, NH) Sarah’s parents were Winthrop Carter (1736 – 1808) and Susanna Eastman (1738 – 1828)
iii. Mary Peters b. 1770 Henniker, Merrimack, New Hampshire;
iv,. Jacob Peters b. 17 Aug 1772 in Henniker, Merrimack, New Hampshire; d. 19 Sep 1845 in Canaan, Grafton, New Hampshire; m1. 3 Dec 1793 Henniker to Sarah Wood Eager (b. Henniker – d. 16 Jul 1814 in Henniker); Sarah’s father was Joseph Eager. Jacob and Sarah had five children born between 1794 and 1809.; m2. 7 Sep 1815 Age: 43 Henniker to Anna Cochran (b. 1785 Bradford, NH – d. 19 Sep 1865 Henniker) Jacob and Anna had four more children between 1816 and 1831.
In the 1860 census, Anna Cochran Peters was living with her daughter and son-in-law Sarah and Joseph Colby in Henniker, Merrimack, New Hampshire
4. Judith Jewell
Judith’s husband John Eastman was born 11 May 1739 in Rumford, Merrimack, New Hampshire. His parents were Joseph Eastman (1692 – 1761) and Abigail Merrill (1693 – ). John died 8 Jul 1777 in Fort Ann, Washington, New York.
John volunteered in 1775 and marched to Charlestown. He was in the Battle of Bunker Hill. He enlisted again in Jan or Feb 1776 under Capt. John Hale and marched to Canada under Col. John Stark and when returned enlisted again under Capt. Nathaniel Hutchins, Col. Cilley’s Regiment. John was was shot in the head at the Battle of Fort Ann near Saratoga and died instantly.
The Battle of Fort Anne, fought on July 8, 1777, was an engagement between Continental Army forces in retreat from Fort Ticonderoga and forward elements of John Burgoyne’s much larger British army that had driven them from Ticonderoga, early in the Saratoga campaign of the American Revolutionary War.
Burgoyne, surprised by the American withdrawal from Fort Ticonderoga, hurried as many of his troops as possible forward in pursuit of the retreating Americans. The main body of the American forces had departed Fort Independence down the road to Hubbardton, and a smaller body of troops, accompanying the sick, wounded, and camp followers that had also evacuated the fort, had sailed up Lake Champlain to Skenesboro, moving from there overland to Fort Edward. This group, which included about 600 men under arms, paused at Fort Anne, where a smaller advance company from Burgoyne’s army caught up to them. The British, clearly outnumbered, sent for reinforcements. The Americans decided to attack while they had the numerical advantage, and succeeded in nearly surrounding the British position about three quarters of a mile north of the fort. The Americans retreated back to the fort when war whoops indicated the arrival of British reinforcements. While this was a ruse (the reinforcements were a single officer), it saved the British force from probable capture. More of Burgoyne’s army soon came down the road, forcing the Americans to retreat from Fort Anne to Fort Edward.
It has been claimed that a flag was flown at Fort Anne that may have been the first instance of a flag consisting of stars and stripes; this claim is supposedly false.
John and Judith settled in Hopkinton Merrimack (then Hillsborough), New Hampshire. The town was granted by Colonial Governor Jonathan Belcher in 1735 as “Number 5” to settlers from Hopkinton, Massachusetts, who renamed it “New Hopkinton.” First settled in 1736, colonists were required to build homes, fence in their land, plant it with English grass, and provide a home for a minister, all within seven years. The community was incorporated in 1765 by Governor Benning Wentworth. Built in 1789, the Congregational Church has a Revere bell. The legislature met in Hopkinton occasionally between 1798 and 1807. In 1808, the town competed for the coveted position of state capitol, but was defeated by nearby Concord. Today, the town is home to the Hopkinton State Fair, adjacent to Contoocook village.
Children of Judith and John:
i. Joseph Eastman b. 22 Sep 1763 in Hopkinton, Merrimack, New Hampshire; d. 1777 New York
ii. Henry Eastman b. 12 Aug 1765 in Hopkinton, Merrimack, New Hampshire; d. 1 Feb 1845 Grantham, Sullivan, New Hampshire; m. Sarah Bean (b. Mar 1767 in Raymond, Rockingham, New Hampshire – d. 23 Sep 1833 in Sullivan, New Hampshire) Sarah’s parents were Jeremiah Bean (1732 – 1797) and Abigail Prescott (1730 – ) Henry and Sarah had three children born between 1790 and 1819.
Henry was a veteran with a half year pension of $19.17.
iii. Abel Eastman b. 11 Oct 1766 in Hopkinton, Merrimack, New Hampshire; d. 1812 Port Gibson, Claiborne, Missisippi; m. 12 Jun 1797 in Opelousas, Saint Landry, Louisiana to Salome Celeste Harmon (b. 1778 in Pennsylvania Saint Landry, Evangeline, Louisiana – d. 1813 in Mississippi) Salome’s parents were Jacob Harmon (1745 – 1809) and Hannah Guice (1750 – )Abel and Salome had six children born between 1796 and 1810
iv. Judith Eastman b. 27 Mar 1770 in Hopkinton, Merrimack, New Hampshire;
v. John Eastman b. 22 Mar 1772 in Hopkinton, Merrimack, New Hampshire;
vi. Anna Eastman b. 1 Jun 1773 in Hopkinton, Merrimack, New Hampshire; d. 16 Dec 1837
vii. Abigail Eastman b. 4 Apr 1775 in Hopkinton, Merrimack, New Hampshire; It’s possible that Abigail’s parents were Edward Eastman and Anna Judkins
5. Sarah JEWELL (See Nathan BALCOM‘s page)
Now that I have found evidence that the Sarah Jewell born in 1737 did not die young, perhaps, our Sarah belongs to a different Jewell family.
7. James Jewell
Alternatively, James was born in England and left an orphan; stowed away on a ship for America. Came to Fox Islands (Vinalhaven) by 1790 and later moved to Monmouth. Birth in England substantiated by son, Samuel in 1880 census where he cites father’s birth place as England
James’ wife Susannah Brackett was born 7 Oct 1748 in Falmouth, Cumberland, Maine. S Her parents were Abraham Brackett (1714 – 1806) and Joanna Springer ( – 1781) Susannah died 19 Nov 1838 in Vinalhaven, Knox, Maine.
James and Susannah lived in Vinalhaven, a town located in the Fox Islands in Knox County, Maine, United States. The population was 1,165 at the 2010 census. It is home to a thriving lobster fishery and hosts a summer colony. Since there is no bridge to the island, Vinalhaven is accessible from Rockland via an approximately hour-and-fifteen-minute ferry ride across West Penobscot Bay, or by air taxi from Knox County Regional Airport.
The first permanent English settlement occurred in 1766 when Thaddeus Carver from Marshfield, Massachusetts, arrived, and later purchased 700 acres on the southern shore near what would become known as Carver’s Harbor. Others soon followed to establish the remote fishing and farming community in the Gulf of Maine. The first families of Vinalhaven are considered to be Arey, Calderwood, Carver, Coombs, Dyer, Ginn, Greem, Hopkins, Lane, Leadbetter, Norton, Philbrook, Pierce, Roberts, Smith, Warren and Vinal. On June 25, 1789, Vinalhaven was incorporated as a town, named for John Vinal. Vinal was not an island resident, merely the agent who petitioned the Maine General Court to incorporate the new township; nonetheless the name stuck. High quality granite was discovered in 1826, and Vinalhaven became one of Maine’s largest quarrying centers for the next century.
James Jewell, a Patriot, originally settled on Vinalhaven in 1750 or 1760. He built the house at Joe Calderwood’s which was then known as Jewell’s Point. A Tory, Anthony Coombs, lived nearby at Coomb’s Neck. The Red Coats were at Castine, Maine. James Jewell heard that the Red Coats were coming to take him and he hid in a hollow tree. His wife, Susannah Brackett, would not tell where her husband was so the Red Coats burned down the house, as was their custom. That night, 19 May 1770, [their] great great grandmother (Susannah Jewell) was born in the ashes. She lies buried in Roberts Cemetary. (Vinalhaven, Maine) Source: As told by Neil Moody Calderwood in July, 1979 to his brother and sister
I have read that they had 14 children, so far have only identified 12. Would love to find out their names and anything anyone has on them.
Children of James and Susannah:
i. James A Jewell b. 5 May 1764 in Phippsburg, Lincoln, Maine; d. 14 Nov 1852 in Phippsburg; Burial: Jewell Family Cemetery, Phippsburg; m. 1790 Vinalhaven to Abigail Brown (b 22 Nov 1772 in Vinalhaven, Lincoln, Maine – d. 4 Mar 1843 in Phippsburg, Lincoln, Maine) Abigail’s parents were Dr. Thomas Brown Jr (1738 – 1825) and Mary Hopkins (1755 – 1786). James and Abigail had eight children born between 1795 and 1812.
In the War of 1812, James was a private in Col. Benedict’s Regiment of New York Militia.
In the 1850 census, James was living with his son Abraham in Phippsburg, Lincoln, Maine.
ii. Mary “Molly” Jewell b. ~ 1768 in Georgetown, Lincoln, Maine; d. 1 Jul 1805 in Monmouth, Kennebec, Maine; m. 25 Nov 1790 – Falmouth, Cumberland, Maine to John Merrill (b. 29 Jul 1764 in Yarmouth, Cumberland, Maine – d. 15 Jun 1845 in North Yarmouth, Cumberland, Maine) John’s parents were Abel Merrill (1736 – 1788) and Abigail Knight (1739 – 1782). Mary and John had six children born between 1791 and 1802. After Molly died, John married 30 Jun 1805 Age: 40 North Yarmouth, Cumberland, Maine to Elizabeth “Betsey” Grover (1768 – ) and had five more children.
iii. Susannah “Susan” Jewell b. 19 May 1770 in Vinalhaven, Lincoln, Maine; d. 29 Apr 1835 in Vinalhaven, Hancock, Maine; Burial: Roberts Harbor Cemetery. (Vinalhaven, Maine; m. 1790 Vinalhaven to Israel Carver (b. 9 Jul 1769 in Vinalhaven, Lincoln, Maine – d. 24 Mar 1856 in Vinalhaven, Knox, Maine) Israel’s parents were Israel Carver Sr. (1740 – 1825) and Margaret Sherman (1745 – 1797). Susan and Israel had twelve children born between 1791 and 1816.
iv. Abraham Jewell b. ~ 1776 in Fox Island (North Haven), Lincoln, Maine; d. Aug 1851 Wales, Androscoggin, Maine; m1. 27 Mar 1797 Age: 21 Vinalhaven, Knox, Maine to Abigail Lane (b. ~1777 Knox, Maine – ). Abigail’s parents were Isacher Lane and Susannah Hall (1763 – 1837). Abraham and Abigail had two children Issacher (b. 1799) and Margaret Jewell (b. 1800 ); m2. Hannah Jenkins (b. ~1781 in Maine – d. 1850-1860 in Wales, Androscoggin, Maine) Hannah’s parents were Philip Jenkins (1750 – 1825) and Tamsin Thompson (1748 – ) Abraham and Hannah had four children born between 1818 and 1827
In the 1850 census, Abraham and Hannah were living in Wales, Kennebec, Maine
v. Sarah “Sally” Jewell b. 9 Dec 1777 in Georgetown, Sagadahoc, Maine; d. 3 Apr 1849 in Monmouth, Kennebec, Maine; m. Jotham Thompson (b. 2 Nov 1774 in Monmouth, Kennebec, ME- 16 Jan 1833 Monmouth, Maine) Jotham’s brother Benjamin married Sally’s sister Annie and his sister Priscilla married Sally’s brother Nathaniel. Their parents were Jonathan Thompson (1748 – ) and his cousin Martha Thompson (1751 – 1849) Sally and Jotham had eight children born between 1798 and 1820.
Jotham was a selectman in Monmouth in 1806, 1807 and 1811.
Part of the Plymouth Patent, Monmouth was first settled as Freetown in 1776-1777 by families from Brunswick. It would also be called Bloomingborough and Wales before being incorporated by the Massachusetts General Court on Jan 20 1792 as Monmouth, after Monmouth, New Jersey. The name was suggested by landowner General Henry Dearborn, who had fought in the Battle of Monmouth on Jun 28 1778. Monmouth was considered one of the best agricultural towns in the state, producing hay, apples and potatoes, in addition to beef cattle and dairy products. It also had excellent sites for watermills
vi. Anne “Annie” Jewell b. 1782 in Georgetown, Sagadahoc, Maine; d. 17 Mar 1866 in Phippsburg, Sagadahoc, Maine; m. 1798 Monmouth to Benjamin Thompson (b. 9 Feb 1781 in Monmouth, Kennebec, Maine – d. 21 Jan 1832 in Phippsburg, Sagadahoc, Maine) Benjamin’s brother Jotham married Annie’s sister Sally and his sister Priscilla married Sally’s brother Nathaniel. . Their parents were Jonathan Thompson (1748 – ) and his cousin Martha Thompson (1751 – 1849) Annie and Benjamin had five children between 1806 and 1819.
In the 1860 census, Ann was living with her daughter and son-in-law Jane and Elias Totterman near Parker Head in Phippsburg, Sagadahoc, Maine.
vii. Nathaniel Jewell b. ~ 1783 in Fox Island, Maine;d. 1838 in Wales, Androscoggin, Maine; m. 1 Dec 1803 – Litchfield, Kennebec, Maine to Priscilla Thompson (b. 10 Mar 1779 in Monmouth, Kennebec, Maine – d. 1850) Priscilla’s brother Jotham married Nathaniel’s sister Sally and her brother Benjamin married Nathaniel’s sister Annie. Their parents were Jonathan Thompson (1748 – ) and his cousin Martha Thompson (1751 – 1849).
Nathaniel Jewell left Fox Island for Wales Plantation, Kennebec Maine. He settled on Thompson Hill. Occupation: Brick mason. Served as Capt in the War of 1812.
viii. Robert Jewell b. 5 Mar 1786 in Fox Island (North Haven), Lincoln, Maine; d. 12 Mar 1857 in Winthrop, Kennebec, Maine; m1. 20 Feb 1810 Age: 23 to Deborah Grover (b. ~1790 in Yarmouth, Cumberland, Maine – d. bef. 23 Sep 1817) Deborah’s parents were Andrew Grover (1750 – 1837) and Mary Pote (1755 – ) Robert and Deborah had two children; m2. to Deborah’s sister Leonice “Nicy” Grover (b. 9 Sep 1793 North Yarmouth, Cumberland, Mainee – d. 2 Oct 1855 Winthrop, Kennebec, Maine) Robert and Nicy had seven more children born between 1819 and 1836.
ix Elizabeth C Jewell b. 5 Apr 1787 in Georgetown, Sagadahoc, Maine; d. 31 Oct 1854 in Phillips, Franklin, Maine; m. 20 Feb 1811 Chesterville, Kennebec, Maine to Abraham Wyman (b. 25 Jul 1790 in Chesterville, Franklin, Maine – d. 4 Jul 1874 in Monroe, Green, Wisconsin; Burial: Cataract Cemetery, Cataract, Monroe) Elizabeth and Abraham had eight children born between 1812 and 1834.
Monroe is known as “the Swiss Cheese Capital of the USA”
In the 1850 census, Abraham and Betsey were farming in Phillips, Franklin, Maine.
x. Jane Jewell b. 27 Apr 1789 in Vinalhaven, Knox, Maine; d. 27 Dec 1852 in Limerick, York, Maine; m. 28 Nov 1809 – Limerick, York, Maine to Rev. Elias Libby (b. 12 Mar 1790 in Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine – d. 2 Apr 1871 in Limerick, York, Maine) Elias’ brother Parmenio married Jane’s sister Eunice. Their parents were Abner Libby (1766 – 1843) and Anna Harding (1767 – 1857). Jane and Elias had three children born between 1811 and 1834. After Jane died, When he was 65, Elias married Hannah McGrath on 26 Oct 1855 in Limerick, York, Maine.
Elias served during the war of 1812 as Orderly Sergeant.
Rev. Elias Libby grew up in Limington and gained the blacksmith’s trade by working in his father’s shop. Shortly after his marriage he removed to Limerick. He was there in business as blacksmith and carriage maker as well as the owner of a general store. In 1821 the Freewill Baptists held their first meetings in the central part of Limerick, and Elias Libby soon became the leader of the movement. The next year a church of thirty members was formed, and he, having been ordained a preacher, first took charge of it. He continued to be an active elder of that denomination throughout his life. He was instrumental in establishing a paper called “The Morning Star,” which was published by him and others for many years in Limerick, in the interest of the Freewill Baptists.
In 1825 he had a conversation with Samuel Burbank on the subject of establishing a weekly paper, and agreed to refer the project to the Parsonfield Q. M. This led to the publication of the Morning Star at Limerick in May, 1826, with Elias Libby and eight others financially responsible for the enterprise for one year. The success of the undertaking brought Rev. Samuel Burbank and Wm. Burr into the Limerick church.
In 1827 what has been termed “a season of refreshing” took place. The next year thirty members were added to the church, and in 1830 and 1831 more than sixty more members were added.
In 1839 he joined the Second Wakefield church, while still remaining as residenct of Limerick. In 1840 he connected himself with the First Parsonfield church, maintaining this relation for ten years. He continued to engage in an itinerant ministry, preferring it to a pastorate.
In the 1850 census, Elias and Jane were living in Limerick, York, Maine where Elias was a Free Will Baptist Clergyman.
The Morning Star was a weekly newspaper owned and published by Freewill Baptists in 19th century New England, which campaigned vigorously for the abolition of slavery long before such a political stance was widely considered to be respectable in America.
The first issue was published in Limerick, Maine on 11 May 1826. Seven years later the newspaper relocated to Dover, New Hampshire, and it continued to be published in that town by Moses Cheney from November 1833 until December 1874. Thereafter it was published in various cities including Portland, Boston, New York and Chicago, until its final issue rolled off the presses some time in 1911.
Until 1834 the newspaper concerned itself mainly with religion, and largely kept out of politics. When it commented on slavery it took a conservative attitude, with editorials denouncing radical abolitionists and counselling “the exercise of moderation and charity”.
On the death of the editor Samuel Beede in March 1834, however, control was passed to William Burr, who immediately re-launched The Morning Star as a newspaper that would campaign vigorously and tirelessly for the complete abolition of slavery. This was a remarkable position for an American publication to take at that time, especially in an overwhelmingly white town where the major employers were large cotton mills: Dover’s prosperity depended to a great extent, indirectly, on slave labour in the South.
Burr’s principled move plunged the newspaper rapidly into crisis. Publication had to be suspended for a while because the New Hampshire State Legislature refused to grant The Morning Star an Act of Incorporation on account of the paper’s campaigning activities.
The abolitionist message did not go down well with readers. Sales plummeted, and the editor was denounced by delegates to the 1837 General Conference of Freewill Baptists, who put forward a motion calling for the paper to cease its campaign against slavery “so as to avert from the denomination the public odium heaped upon abolitionists, and to reconcile the disaffected members.” The motion was defeated.
In 1841, in protest at the authorities’ refusal to act to prevent attacks on black people and abolitionists in segregated railway carriages (including highly publicised incidents involving Charles Lenox Remond and David Ruggles) The Morning Star printed a call for readers to boycott the Eastern Railroad – a remarkable step at that time.
As the public mood became more receptive to the abolitionist message, the circulation figures picked up. While continuing to fulfil its original function as official organ of the Free Will Baptist denomination, The Morning Star continued its vociferous anti-slavery campaign right up to the end of the Civil War, condemning the iniquities of slavery with eloquent and rousing rhetoric.
xi. Eunice Jewell b. 1793 in Vinalhaven, Knox, Maine; d. 16 Apr 1820 in Limington, York, Maine; m. 10 Nov 1814 – Limerick, York, Maine to Deacon Parmenio Libby (b. 22 Nov 1791 in Scarborough, Cumberland, Maine – d. 14 Oct 1875 in Limington, York, Maine) Parmenio’s brother Elias married Eunice’s sister Jane. Their parents were Abner Libby (1766 – 1843) and Anna Harding (1767 – 1857) Eunice and Parmenio had three children Rosetta Thompson (b. 1815) and Anna Harding (b. 1817) and Eunice Jewell (b. 1819).
After Eunice died, Parmenio married 4 Nov 1822 Fryeburg, Oxford, Maine to Fanny Ward(b. 1800 in Fryeburg, Oxford, Maine – d. 12 Sep 1829) and had three more children. Parmenio married a third time 23 Oct 1831 Limington, York, Maine Eliza Larrabee (b. Jul 1808 in Limington, York, Maine – d. 1861 Limerick, Maine) and had nine more children between 1831 and 1851.
In the War of 1812, Parmenio served ion Capt. E. Small’s Company, Col. Merrill’s 4th Regiment, under Supervision of General Goodwin.From Sept. 20 to Oct. 17, 1814. Service on seacoast at Kennebunk. Limington Light Artillery Company.
In the 1850 census, Parmenia and Eliza were living in Limington, York, Maine with 10 children ages 2 to 23.
xii. Samuel B Jewell b. 1794 in Vinalhaven, Hancock, Maine; d. 12 Aug 1889 in China, Kennebec, Maine; m. Abigail Palmer (b. 1796 – d. 1869 in Kennebec, Maine) Abigail’s parents were Simon Palmer (1769 – 1841) and Phoebe Barnes (1777 – ) Samuel and Abigail had four children born between 1816 and 1837.
In the 1850 census, Samuel and Abigail were farming in China, Kennebec, Maine with four children ages 13 to 34.
Genealogical and family history of the state of Maine, Volume 4 By Henry Sweetser Burrage, Albert Roscoe Stubbs 1909
Peters of New England: a genealogy, and family history By Eleanor Bradley Peters
Pingback: Nathan Balcom | Miner Descent
Pingback: John J Jewell | Miner Descent
Pingback: Henry Lancaster | Miner Descent
Pingback: Twins | Miner Descent
Pingback: Invasion of Canada – 1775 | Miner Descent
Pingback: Minutemen – April 19, 1775 | Miner Descent
You’ve left out the first Thomas Jewell who arrived in the colonies in 1635 aboard the ship called The Planter. I have a copy of the ship passenger list which includes the actual dates he left and arrived from London. He was a twenty seven year old Miller signed out of Kingston Surrey England. His destination was Brantrey which was later Braintree and later still became Quincy. A mill had already been built there and owned by another millwright. Thomas was allowed to purchase 12 acres of land on Mount Wolleston as 4 acres per person in the family was the quota of land at that time. From that, he was married and had one child.
Thomas and Grizelle fletcher daughter of Robert Fletcher of Concord, Ma had 6 children together.
They were Thomas who married Susannah Guilford; Joseph who married Martha in Watertown. Last name not known. He married secondly, Isabel Cate of Portsmouth. He owned land in Portsmouth and signed it over to Isabel in order to woo her. (Actually stated that in writing). Nathaniel married Mary Smedley daughter of Baptozmo Smedley. He was a soldier during king Philips war. He was also spotted coming out of the woods with an Indian woman who had often been seen visiting the town. This time however, with a new pappoose on her back. He might also have been an Indian parent. The three daughters were: Marcy or Mary who married Joseph Spaulding:Hannah who married John Parish. And, Grissies who married her cousin, Joshua Fletcher, son of Grizelle Fletcher’s brother, William Fletcher. William was a large land owner in What became Chelmsford.
Grissies or little Grizelle and Joshua were caught in an compromising position by the minister she worked for. They were brought before the court in Boston two or three times and eventually fined. Joshua’s father, William paid the fine. He became responsible to raise Grizelle’s youngest children when she died. And he, along with John Burge, Grizelle’s 5th and last husband appeared with Grizelle’s will in front of the Mendon proprietors stating these requests. Joseph was to inherit her land. Thomas 2 must have already inherited from his fathers estate which was sold to the Adams family.
An 1800’s genealogist, referred to Grizelle Gurney as the Most married woman in the Colonies?” Some have said, she was perhaps a black widow. Well, in those days, if someone didn’t re marry after ones spouse died, the other colony members became suspicious of them. A woman rIsing 7 young children alone was not looked on very well. And, who would want to marry a black widow with 7 children? It’s very likely that she was both beautiful and rich.
After Grizelle died, the family went off in different directions. She was apparently the glue that held the family together. Nathaniel and Marcy moved their families to Plainfield, Ct whew a new Plantation was formed. Joseph sold his land and his mothers land in Mendon while he was living up in Portsmouth. He bought a mill in Sudbury and moved his new family to Sudbury and Stow.
After Thomas Jewell died in 1654. Grizelle married Humphrey Griggs. Humphrey agreed to support the Jewell children but met his own demise. Grizelle married Henry Kibby (also kidby). With Henry, Grizelle had her 7 th child, Sherebiah Kibby. The Kibbys were sawyer sand that is likely where Thomas2 learned the trade. After Henry Kibby died, Grizelle married John Gurney. As Grizelle Gurney, she petitioned land for herself and her son Thomas in Mendon.
In Mendon, Grizelle, Thomas, Joseph and Mercy and Joseph Spaulding owned their own homes there. After building their own homes, cleared their lands and grew their crops, the family was to help build a church and a home for the minister. Thomas was fined for not providing clapboards on time. Joseph helped to dig out the cellar joke for the ministers house. Then, the Nipmuck Indians attacked and killed 5 people working in the fields that day. It was the first attack on the Massachusetts Bay Colony. A previous attack was made against the Plymouth Colony.
Mendon families left their new town and headed back to Hingham and Weymouth and Other larger cities and the Indiand burned the houses and other buildings in Mendon.
Grisliest and Joshua had 2 sons before she died. Joshua remarried and had more children. Today their descendants listed in Westford Vital Records to 1892 is several pages long.
Thomas2 and Susannah Guilford moved their family to Western Salisbury in 1687 along with 30 other families from Hingham and Weymouth. He purchased 719 acres of land there north of Wichers(aka: Whittiers Hill. His home was built near the Pow Wow River. He had a saw mill and a grist mill. That part of the town today is known as Jewell Town the Historic District of South Hampton N. H.
Susannah Guilford’s parents John Guilford and Mary Norton died. Her grandmother who also lived in Hingham had been married twice. She was Ann Smith born in 1595. She was the wife of William Norton of Ipswich and Hingham,and after he died, she married John Tucker of Hingham, June 11, 1649. Ann left a wil recorded in Boston, leaving an inheritance to her grandson, Paul Guilford and to her granddaughter, Susannah Jewell.
Thomas2 sold his home in what eventually became South Hampton, N. H., to his son, John, he moved first to Dunstable. He and Susannah signed a deed of land they still owned near the waterfront in Hingham to their grandson, Benoni. Benoni was the son of Thomas 3. Thomas 3 is called 5 in the Jewell Register on page 5. His wife was Martha Blood.
Benoni had sons who served in the Rev. War. James Jewell made the early newspaper because he and a friend had escaped the British jail that held them for destroying a cashe of arms. They escaped before the British had a chance to put a notch in their ears to Mark them as traitors.
Note: the early documents where the Jewell name was recorded shows the name Jewell but the L’s are loops that were crossed into t’s. So many of the Early Jewell’s were recorded as Jewett’s.
A Joseph Jewett of Ipswich married Ann Allen in Boston. She had lived in Hingham and entered in the records as sometimes wife of Bozoan Allen. Well, his marriage record to Ann has his name as Jewell not Jewett.
Joseph Jewell lived with his first wife, Martha, in Charlestown. He and his son John kept the ferry going between Charlestown and Boston. His son John’s first wife Elizabeth is buried in the oldest cemetery in Malden, Ma. The cemetery name is Bell Rock.
You’ve included my write up about Enos Jewell being in Ogden, Monroe Co. N. Y. I have a copy of his will. There are many cemeteries in the town. However, a man, whose name I won’t mention purchased the land in the 50’s that the Pioneer’s were buried in. He removed all of the headstones except one tall one, which was moved to the rear corner of the lot. Then, he leveled the land and put hot top on it and built a store. So, I’m afraid our Rev. War Soldier Enos Jewell and Abigail Chamberlin Jewell and Mary Jewell are alli perhaps buried under the hot top.
The first Henry Lancaster lived at Bloddy Point in N. H. He was a young boy when he arrived here and it was thought he did not come here under his own free will. It is believed he was dispossessed of his inheritance by others in the family. He lived to be over 100 years old.
Sarah Gould Jewell Huntington had two sons by Timothy Huntington. They were Benjamin and John. See pg. 49 in the “Huntington Genealogy.” Sadly, after Henry Lancaster Jewell died, his farm in Bow, N.H. Had to be sold. The money he owed was more than his property was valued for. Sarah moved back to be with her family in Amesbury. The towns people told the constable to warn her and her 3 sons out of town. He wrote up and gave all three boys under 7 years old warnings out of town. His mother got one too. So, it was more than pay back for Sarah to marry into one of or possibly the most prominent families in the town. My copy of the “Huntington Genealogy” was previously owned by Zena Young of Brigham Young’s family.
There were several other Jewell’s around. Besides Thomas, there was a John and Joseph early. There was a George on Jewell Island off the coast of Maine. Many of his family survived near Saco. He had a son William. A Mark Jewell came to Dover about 100 years after Thomas. Bradbury, Mark and John descend from him. Two of his sons married two daughters of Rev. Jacob Jewell in Sandwich N. H. Jacob and Martha Quimby Jewell are buried in Sugar Hill Cemetery in Weare, N. H.
This should help fill in some of the holes and a few corrections in your lovely write-up about our Jewell family.
Regards, Eileen Jewell
Interesting details about the Jewells. I am searching for information about Rev. Jacob Jewell and his wife Martha Quimby Jewell. Yours is the first mention with specific information that I have found about their deaths/burials. I wonder whether you would be willing to share your source for their burial in Sugar Hill Cemetery in Weare, N.H.?
Love the picture of Parmenio Libby. Where did that come from?
I probably got it from an ancestry.com posting. My subscription is now inactive, so sorry, I can’t check
I wish to thank everyone that has worked on this site. Thank You..