Thomas SKINNER II (1645 – 1723) was Alex’s 10th Great Grandfather, one of 2,048 in this generation of the Shaw line.
Deacon Thomas Skinner II was baptized 15 Jul 1645 in Subdeanerie Parish, Chichester, Sussex, England. His parents were Thomas SKINNER I and Mary GODDEN. He married Mary PRATT in 1665/66 at Charlestown, Massachusetts. After Mary died, he married Joanna [__?__]. Thomas died between 26 Mar 1722/23 in Colchester, Connecticut.
Mary Pratt was born 30 Sep 1643 in Charlestown, Massachusetts. Her parents were Richard PRATT and Mary [__?__]. Mary died 26 Mar 1704 in Colchester, New London, Connecticut. Alternatively, Mary died 9 Apr 1671 at Malden, Mass and Joanna was the mother of the younger children.
Children of Thomas and Mary:
|1.||Mary Skinner||3 Nov 1666, Malden, Mass||Joseph Russell
|28 Mar 1716, Boston|
|2.||Thomas SKINNER III||3 Nov 1668 Malden, Mass||Hannah CARPENTER
16 May 1694 Swansea, Mass.
|9 Jun 1757 Norton, Mass.|
|3.||Abraham Skinner||16 Jun 1671, Malden||Abigail Chamberlain
24 Nov 1708 Colchester, CT
|4.||John Skinner||5 Apr 1673, Malden||Sarah Porter
ca. 1696 Colchester, New London, CT
|8 Apr 1754, Waltham, Mass.|
|5.||Richard Skinner||3 Jan 1675/76, Malden||Hannah Pratt
24 Nov 1708
|Feb 1758, East Haddam, CT|
|6.||Hannah Skinner||Jan 1677/78
20 Sep 1722 – Mass
|21 Aug 1728
|7.||Joseph Skinner||Jan 1677/78
|18 Jan 1725
|8.||Dec. Benjamin Skinner||30 Jan 1681
3 Nov 1712 Lebanon, CT
Elizabeth Wright (Daughter of our ancestor Abel WRIGHT)
|2 Jun 1750, Hebron, CT|
|9.||Ebenezer Skinner||1684, Malden||Sarah Lord
28 Jul 1702
East Haddam, CT
|Nov 1755, Bolton, CT|
|10.||Nathaniel Skinner||27 Jan 1685/86, Malden||Mary Gillett
13 Jun 1706
|11.||Abigail Skinner||17 Feb 1690/91, Malden||Ebenezer Mudge
13 Jul 1708
|Mar 1765, New Lebanon, CT|
Thomas was one of the original proprietors of Colchester, Connecticut, moving there about 1700.
According to The Skinner Kinsmen, Thomas and Mary moved from Malden, Massachusetts to Colchester, Connecticut circa 1700, where Thomas was one of the original proprietors of Colchester, a constable, a Way Warden (surveyor), and built a meeting house. His sons, Abraham and John, had moved to Taunton, Massachusetts. Richard, Benjamin, Ebenezer, Nathaniel and Abigail went to Colchester with their parents. Thomas held various town offices and served on important committees during his residence in Colchester. He and his son Benjamin were granted lots on January 21, 1702, and in May 1702, he drew his house lot. The diary of this Thomas is said to have been preserved and gives many interesting details of family history (not located).
From Colchester, Connecticut, Land Records: (45)
Town Meeting held in Colchester, Conn., January 31, 1702. Further it was granted to Thomas Skinner and his son Benjamin, Samuel Fuller, Micael Taintor, Sen. & Micael Taintor Junr. the Little Round meadow lying West from the town with the Swamp; the Swamp to be accounted 2 acres for one of meadow so as to make up their 1st Division of meadow except the Town see cause to take a piece for clay. They are to lay it out within 1 year and to make Recompence Elsewhere.
13 Dec 1709 – Granted to Deacon Skinner to exchange about one acre of his second division for convenience of building.
10 Apr 1705 – Samuel Fuller lo Thomas Skinner, senr, both of Colchester, Conn., Five acres of meadow in the little meadow.
Further to Thomas Skinner his 2nd Division 100 Acres, on the northwest side of Moodus Road and on the West side of Charles Williams second Division; beginning at bounds set in Moodus Road and so South west near the road 100 rods to a black tree marked; then Northwest eight score rods to a bound set in the swamp on the west side of a maple tree marked; then Northeastly 100 rods to a bound set in the valley; then Southeasterly, leaving a way between it and Charles Williams land, 8 score rods to first bound. Laid out February 13, 1706/07.
29 Mar 1709 – Thomas Skinner of Colchester to son Nathaniel Skinner of same place, my home lot of 21 acres, also meadow in the Round meadow, 30 acres of upland and one half of all my other divisions laid out to my £200 right in Colchester. Witnesses, Mary Butler, Hannah Butler.
3 Dec 1713 – Deacon Thomas Skinner of Colchester exchanges lands with Richard Skinner of Colchester, 30 acres bounded by common land, highway, Micaei Taintor’s &c.
29 Mar 1716 – Laid out for Deacon Thomas Skinner 50 acres of 4th Division of land on West side of Charles Williams land, to tree marked T S, to Brook, &c.
At a Town meeting held in Colchester March the 20th 1705/06. The Town voted to build a meeting house forty foot square, provided that there be money given enough to procure the nails and glass further the Town choose a committee to carry on the building the said House; Namely Sergt. Rowlee, Deacon Skinner, John Skinner, Joseph Chamberlain, Thomas Brown.
15 Jan 1710 – Further the Town chose Lieut. Wells, Samuel Northam, Samuel Loomis, John Skinner, and Deacon Skinner to lay out highways where they are wanting in all parts of the town as also to inspect those that are already laid out that they may not be intruded into and make return to the Town.
1. Mary Skinner
Mary’s husband Joseph Russell was born 15 Jan 1663 in Woburn, Middlesex, Mass. His parents were John Russell and Sarah Champney. Joseph died 13 Mar 1713 in Boston, Suffolk, Mass
2. Thomas SKINNER III (See his page)
3. Abraham Skinner
Abraham’s wife Abigail Chamberlain was born 10 Apr 1683 in Malden, Mass. Her parents were Benjamin Chamberlain and Sarah Ball. Abigail died 14 Jan 1726 in Oxford, Middlesex, Mass
Abraham was a blacksmith and one of the original proprietors of Oxford, Mass.; lot No. 29 near (now) Howarth’s Pond, moving there in 1713.
4. John Skinner
John’s wife Sarah Porter was born 4 Jan 1677 in Windsor, Hartford, CT. Her parents were John Porter and Joanna Gaylord. Sarah died 22 Feb 1748 in Norton, Bristol, Mass.
John Skinner was a brother, or perhaps only half brother, of Thomas: for Mary, the wife of Thomas Skinner, died at Malden, April 9,1671; and John was born April, 1673. He settled in the west part of the North Purchase about the time Thomas did; was a proprietor, and his name is attached to the deed of the proprietors to the Leonards. He was a member of the Norton church at its organization. His wife’s name was Sarah , married about 1696; and they had seven children. He was living in 1738; but when he died is uncertain. There was a John Skinner who died at Wrentham, April 8, 1754; and he might have been the man. His autograph was written in 1695.
5. Richard Skinner
Richard’s wife Hannah Pratt was born 1677 in Malden, Midd, Mass. She was Richard’s cousin. Her parents were Thomas Pratt and Alice [__?__]. Her grandparents were Richard PRATT and Mary [__?__]. Hannah died in 1772 in East Haddam, CT.
6. Hannah Skinner
Hannah’s husband John Grover was born 12 Mar 1697 in Malden, Middlesex, Mass. His parents were Andrew Grover and Mary [__?__]. John died 27 Mar 1785 in Malden, Middlesex, Mass.
8. Deacon Benjamin Skinner
Benjamin’s first wife Elizabeth Dixon was born 1685 in Hebron, Tolland, CT. Genealogies say Elizabeth died 1 Dec 1753 in Hebron, Tolland, CT which conflicts with Benjamin’s second marriage.
Benjamin’s second wife Elizabeth Wright 22 Aug 1687 in Springfield, Hampden, Mass. Her parents were Abel WRIGHT and Martha KITCHEREL. She first married 8 Nov 1709 to Ebenezer Dewey (b. 20 Feb 1673 or 31 Aug 1679 in Springfield, Hampden, Mass. – d. Dec 1711 in Lebanon, New London, CT.)
9. Ebenezer Skinner
Ebenezer’s wife Sarah Lord was born 1682 in East Haddam, Middlesex, CT. Her parents were William Lord and Sarah Brooks. Sarah died Nov 1775 in Bolton, Tolland, CT.
Ebenezer accompanied his father and family when they removed from Malden, Mass., to Colchester, Conn., and for many years he was a prominent man in that town.
19 Jul 1715 – Thomas Skinner to his son Ebenezer Skinner, both of Colchester, one home lot in Colchester bounded East on Town St., West with commons. North on home lot of John Waters. South on home lot of said Ebenezer, 21 rods wide by half a mile in length, with house, &c.
In 1729 he was of Preston, Conn., – at one time he lived in Hebron, Conn., where, during one week, Nov. 27th to Dec. 3rd, 1736, Ebenezer’s four youngest children died of putrid sore throat, then so prevalent throughout the colonies. The family went to Bolton, Conn., about 1739 and it is thought that Ebenezer died there, although there is no record of his death.
Her father, William Lord, of Saybrook and Lynn, was born in England in 1623, and came with his father, Thomas Lord, in the ‘Elizabeth and Ann’ in 1635. Sergt. Ebenezer Skinner accompanied his father to Colchester, where for many years he was a prominent man. On Dec 14, 1724, the town meeting granted to Ebenezer Skinner ‘the liberty of getting wood to make Cole in the sequestred Cornons to maintain Iron works so long as he shall maintain and keep up the Iron works.’ Apr 27, 1725, the town meeting granted to Capt. Joseph Wright, Ebenezer Skinner, Joseph Dewey and Josiah Gillett Jr. ‘ye liberty of ye stream on Jeremiahs Reuer to set up Iron works & also the preueleg of fine or six acers of land if it be thare to be for a pastuer whare a Conuenient place is: thay to haue the priueleg of it so long as they shall maintain Ironworks or other mills thare & no longer, the place lying about 40: or fifty Rods Down the reuer from James Roberdses souwest Corner of his home lot.’ On Feb 4, 1728, Ebenezer Coleman of Hebron deeded lands, etc., to Ebenezer Skinner of Colchester, in consideration of part of certain iron works in Colchester. About this time Sergt. Skinner removed to Hebron with his family of eleven children. Here, during one week, Nov 27 to Dec 31, 1736, his four youngest children died of putrid sore throat, then so prevalent throughout the colony.”.
10. Nathaniel Skinner
Nathaniel’s first wife Mary Gillett was born 8 Mar 1687 in Windsor, Hartford, CT. Her parents were Josiah Gillett and Joanna Taintor. Mary died 20 Sep 1741 in Colchester, New London, CT.
Nathaniel’s second wife Content Fuller was born 19 Feb 1699 in Barnstable, Barnstable, Mass Her parents were Matthew Fuller and Patience Young. great granddaughter of Samuel Fuller, Mayflower pilgrim. She first married her half-cousin Benjamin Fuller. Content died before 27 May 1754 in Sharon, Litchfield, CT.
Nathaniel was the owner of the water right in Colchester in 1725: “One of the oldest water rights in the State of Connecticut is located on the small but beautiful tributary of the Salmon River which has long been known as Jeremy’s Stream. . . . The power produced by this ancient water right has run some mill continuously through the years . . . The first owners of the water right were Andrew Carrier and Nathaniel Skinner and the grant was made to them by the Town Meeting of Colchester on Dec 13, 1725. The power was used to run one of those old-time feed mills . . .”
Nathaniel and his sons, as well as Mary Gillett’s brothers, were among the first purchasers of land at Sharon, Connecticut: “At the session of the Assembly in May, 1738, it was ordered that the township should be sold at public auction at New Haven on the second Wednesday of the following October. Samuel Eels, Esq., Joseph Whiting, and Capt. Isaac Dickerman were appointed a committee for that purpose. It was divided into fifty-three rights, or shares, as they were called, one of which was given to the first minister, one was reserved for the use of the ministry in the town, and one for the support of schools, and the debts accruing from the sale were secured by the bonds of the purchasers, and when collected the avails were divided among the other towns in the colony for the support of schools therein. The following is, a list of the original purchasers of the town: . . . Nathaniel Skinner, Thomas Skinner, Nathaniel Skinner, Jr., Joseph Skinner, Samuel Gillet, Joseph Skinner, and Josiah Gillet, Jr. . . . These purchasers formed a legal corporation, whose designation was and is, The proprietors of the Common and Undivided Land in the Township of Sharon. The clerks of the corporation have been Nathaniel Skinner . . .
“The corporation had power to set out to each proprietor in severalty his share of the lands, and at different times they have been thus deeded, and each right has furnished to its owner nearly seven hundred acres of land. The average price of each right was about one thousand dollars, and each deed to the purchaser contained the following condition, which would ensure the speedy occupancy of the lands: ‘Always provided, and these presents, are upon this condition, that if the said ______, shall by himself or his agent, within the space of two full years next after the date hereof, enter upon the said granted premises, build and finish an house thereon not less than eighteen feet square, and seven feet stud, subdue, clear, and fence six acres of said land, and continue thereon for the space of three successive years, commencing after the two years aforesaid, (unless prevented by death or inevitable Providences,) and do perform all duties and orders, pay all taxes that shall be granted, then the aforesaid deed shall remain in full force and virtue.’ . . . Of the original proprietors these became inhabitants of the town: Nathaniel Skinner, Nathaniel Skinner, Jr., Joseph Skinner . . .
“The first division was into lots of about eighty acres each, which was to furnish the Home lot or residence of the proprietor. A Committee was appointed to lay out a lot of eighty acres, which was called the Standard lot, and all the other lots were made to conform to this in value, the quantity to be more or less according to the quality. . . . The settlers principally located on the main street leading from Jackson’s Patent, now Hitchcock’s Corner, to Salisbury. Some, however, settled on the mountain and some in the valley, and in the course of a year or two nearly the whole territory of the first society was occupied. A large proportion of the first inhabitants of Sharon were from Lebanon and Colchester, in the county of Windham . . .”
The history of Sharon, Connecticut includes more information on Nathaniel (some of the information may be about Nathaniel Jr.): (108) “During the process of locating and settling the township, the inhabitants enjoyed no corporate privileges, nor had the town received any other name than that given it by the committee who laid it out in 1733. After so many inhabitants had removed into the town as came in the Spring and Summer of 1739, it became important that they should be invested with the usual privileges of Towns, and they should receive a corporate name. A meeting was accordingly holden, and Captain Jonathan Dunham was appointed agent to make application to the assembly for a charter, with the usual privileges of Towns. The character, principles and expectations of the settlers are forcibly illustrated in their petition to the Assembly for an Act of Incorporation . . .
“The Inhabitance of Sharon aplying Themselves to the Genral assembly in October Last Past for Town Priviledges Cap Dunham was mad Choice of to Represent the Town to the Assembly, and having obtained the Desiar of the town he being ordered by the Assembly to Warn the Inhabitance in order To Chuse town officers which Being Dune the Inhabitance being met on the 11 day of December In ye yeare 1739 at the house of Nathll. Skinner In Sharon And then opened the meeting as the Law Dricts . . . Nath Skinner Was Chosen town Clark [clerk] . . . Nathi Skinner Jun Was Chosen Leather Sealer. Nathi. Skinner Jonathan Dunham and John Sprague Was Chosen a Com’tt. to go after a Minister. Nathi. Skinner and Lew. Jabez Creppen chosen a Com’tt. to Lay out a Beuring Place. It was further voted that a Note or Warning In writing set up at The house of John Sprague and Nathi. Skinner and at Garrit winegars mill Six Days before a town meeting Given Reasons of Said Meeting, Shall be a Lawful Warning for a town meeting. . . .
The records of the Congregational Church in Sharon for the first fifteen years are lost. The exact date of the organization of the Church cannot, therefore, be determined. One record names Nathaniel and his sons – at a meeting of the Church in Westchester, a parish of Colchester, Conn., on the 28th day of April, 1740, Nathaniel Skinner (deacon), Jonathan Dunham, Jabez Crippen, Benjamin Fuller, Nathaniel Skinner, Jr., Thomas Skinner, David Skinner, Jonathan Skinner, Jabez Crippen, Jr., Samuel Mudge, Micah Mudge, Cornelius Hamlin, Alexander Spencer and Josiah Skinner “received letters of recommendation, in order to be embodied into a Church at Sharon, where they have for some time resided.
“At a meeting of the same Church, on May 18, 1740, (about three weeks after the former meeting) Jeremiah Foster, Mary Foster, Mary Skinner, Content Fuller, Elizabeth Skinner, Abigail Mudge, Mary Hampton, Mary Dunham, Mary Skinner, Jr., Eunice Mudge, Elizabeth Dunham, Lydia Crippen, Deborah Crippen, Thankful Crippen, Waitstill Heath, Abigail Skinner, Patience Fuller, Hannah Dunham and Martha Mudge received a letter of recommendation “to the Church in Sharon,” which indicates that this Church was organized between the meetings of the Church in Westchester. . . . Nathaniel Skinner was elected to the office of deacon in the church in 1739..
11. Abigail Skinner
Abigail’s husband Ebenezer Mudge was born 26 Feb 1683 in Northampton, Hampshire, Mass. His parents were Micah Mudge and Mary Alexander. Ebenezer died 21 Apr 1758 in Sharon, Litchfield, CT.
They raised a numerous family, six sons and six daughters, all of whom were married and living when Ebenezer died. They were very prolific, he left twenty-five adults and some eighty grandchildren to mourn his death. Ebenezer’s family moved to Lebanon, Conn. about 1697, he farmed, bought and sold land there and in Hebron and Colchester till 1737. He apparently sold all his holdings at that time and with his wife and family and Nathaniel Skinner (his wife’s brother) and his family moved west to the new townsite of Sharon, Conn. In 1738 Ebenezer drew the twenty-fifth home lot lying on both sides of the Town Street (now The Green) and embracing properties later occupied by Capt. Lines, Baldwin Reed, Major Gould and Skinners. In 1740 he sold the lot to Cornelius Hamlin and Mary (Mudge) Hamlin, a daughter and they built a house on the property. The Sharon Historical Society now stands on the same piece of property.
In 1743 Ebenezer settled on the western border of “Mudge Pond” a beautiful small lake on the outskirts of Sharon. A section of Sharon was called Mudge Town. He served in various town offices and with his sons built and owned the first sawmill, gristmill and ironworks in Sharon. When he died in 1758 his widow, six sons, six daughters and six sons-in-law signed an agreement, as heirs, to settle the estate without administration..
George Faber Clark, A History of the Town of Norton, Bristol County, Massachusetts, from 1669 to 1859 – Archive.org 1859
The Skinner kinsmen, the descendants of Thomas Skinner of Malden, Mass By Natalie R. Fernald The Pioneer Press Washington, DC 1900