Joseph PECK (1587 – 1663) was Alex’s 11th Great Grandfather, one of 4,096 in this generation of the Shaw line.
Joseph Peck was baptized 30 Apr 1587 in Hingham, Norfolk, England. His parents were Robert PECK and Helen BABBS. He married Rebecca CLARK 21 May 1617 in Hingham, Norfolk, England. After Rebecca died, he remarried. In 1638 Joseph Peck, together with his brother Rev. Robert PECK (also our ancestor) and other Puritans, fled from persecution in England and came to New England in the ship “Diligent,” of Ipswich. The entry on Hingham records, showing him to be a man of quality, is “Mr. Joseph Peck and his wife, with three sons and daughters and two men-servants, came from Old Hingham, and settled in New Hingham.” Joseph died 23 Dec 1663 in Rehoboth, Britsol, Plymouth Colony.
Children of Joseph and Rebecca
12 Mar 1618
Hingham, Norfolk, England
|27 Jul 1636 England|
25 May 1620
|Peter Hobart (son of Edmund HOBART)
3 Jul 1646
Hingham, Plymouth, Mass
|9 Sep 1693
Hingham, Plymouth, Mass
23 Aug 1623
Seekonk Plain, Bristol, Mass
21 Nov 1677 Rehoboth, Mass
|6 Feb 1708
Aug 1626 Hingham, England
30 Dec 1658 Rehoboth, Mass.
|5.||Capt. Nicholas Peck||bapt.
9 Apr 1630
Rehoboth, Bristol, Mass
15 Jul 1670 Rehoboth, Bristol, Mass
|27 May 1710
13 Feb 1660
Dorchester, Suffolk, Mass
|27 Mar 1688
|7.||Deliverance Peck||21 Jun 1637
26 Jun 1662 Block Island, Newport, Rhode Island
Caleb Lumbert (Son of Thomas LUMBERT)
|9 Dec 1727
Newport, Rhode Island
Children of Joseph and Unknown Wife
|8.||Samuel Peck||Bef. 3 Feb 1639 Hingham, Massachusetts Bay||Rebecca Paine
21 Nov 1677
Rehoboth, Bristol, Mass
|6 Feb 1708 Hingham, Plymouth, Mass|
31 Oct 1641
Hingham, Massachusetts Bay
|Deliverance Bosworth 1669 in Rehoboth, Bristol, Mass||19 Aug 1718 Rehoboth, Mass|
|10.||Israel Peck||Bef. 4 Mar 1644
Hingham, Massachusetts Bay
15 Jul 1670
Swansea, Bristol, Mass
|2 Sep 1723
Joseph remained at Hingham seven years and was deputy to the general court of Massachusetts for Hingham, 1639-40-41-42; selectman, justice of the peace, assessor, etc. He moved to Seekonk Plain near the junction of the present Pawtucket with the old Boston and Providence railroad in the old town of Rehoboth. He died 23 Nov 1663.
The Peck family was among the earliest purchasers of the land that is now Seekonk. They came from nearby Hingham initially. Joseph Peck, the brother of Rev. Robert Peck the disaffected Puritan who had fled his Hingham, England, church after the crackdown by Archbishop Laud, had purchased sizeable tracts of lands from the Native Americans.
In 1641, the local Native Americans had granted a large part of modern-day Seekonk to purchasers from Hingham, including Edward Gilman Sr., Joseph PECK, John Leavitt and others. In 1653 Ossamequin and his son Wamsetto, also known as Alexander to the English, signed a deed granting the land that is now Seekonk and the surrounding communities to Thomas Willitt, Myles Standish and Josiah Winslow. The town of Seekonk was incorporated in 1812 from the western half of Rehoboth.
The Wampanoags were paid 35 pounds sterling by the English settlers, for instance, for the sale to Willitt, Standish and Winslow.
Three of the earliest English men to settle in the area now known as Seekonk and Providence were William Blackstone, Roger Williams and Samuel Newman. These men and their followers proved it was possible to provide a living away from the coastal areas. This allowed groups of individuals to separate themselves from Puritan control. In turn this led to a greater diversity of culture and religious and philosophical freedom. It was only by forming alliances with the Native Americans in both the Wampanoag and Narragansett tribes that these early settlements were able to flourish.
These tracts of land Peck willed to his son Samuel, who served as Deputy to the General Court at Plymouth, as well as the first representative from the town of Rehoboth after Plymouth Colony and Massachusetts were united. The family continued to live in the area through the twentieth century. Wikipedia and other sites say that today’s Peck Corner in Rehoboth is named for this early Puritan family, but when I looked Peck Corner up on Google Maps, it appeared to be in Barrington, Rhode Island, 5 miles south of Seekonk. Further investigation showed the towns of Bristol, Barrington, and Warren were awarded to Rhode Island in 1746 as part of a long-running boundary dispute with Massachusetts forming Bristol County, Rhode Island.
1641 – Mr. Peck and others from Hingham bought Secunke (Seekonk);
1643 – Drew lots for woodland
1645 – Register of lands
1645 – Plain lots drawn
1646 – Lots in the New Meadow
1647 and 1648, Mr. Peck chosen townsman
1648 – Chosen assistant to Mr. Brown in suit at court
1650 – Mr. Peck chosen townsman or selectman
1651 – Townsman or selectman
1652 – Chosen rator or assessor
1653 – Grand juryman
1654 – Constable
1655 – Tax assessor
1655 – Townsman or selectman
1656 – To administer marriages
1656 – Judge of cases not, above £3
1660 – Examine town records
1661 – To settle damages to Indians’ corn on Kickemuit and Consumpsit Necks.
2. Rebecca Peck
Rebecca’s husband Rev. Peter Hobart was baptized in Hingham, Norfolk England on 13 Oct 1604. His parents were Edmund HOBART and Margaret DEWEY. Peter died on 20 Jan 1679 in Hingham, MA. Education: Magdalen Coll, Cambridge, Eng: BA 1625, MA 1629.
Peter’s first wife Elizabeth Ibrook was baptized on 31 Aug 1608 in Southwold, Suffolk, England Her parents were Richard Ibrook and Margaret Clark. She immigrated with husand, children Joshua, Jeremiah, Elizabeth and Josiah , parents and sisters, Margaret and Helen arriving 8 June 1635. Elizabeth died in childbirth in Dec 1645 in Hingham, Massachusetts Bay Colony, now Plymouth County.
Peter attended the heavily Puritan Cambridge University. He was the first minister of the Hingham congregation who built Old Ship Church. Assisting Hobart in the foundation of the congregation was [our ancestor] Rev. Robert PECK, Hobart’s senior and formerly rector of St Andrew’s Church in Hingham, Norfolk. [See Robert's page for the story of their dissent in England.] He was married in England. and came to New England with his wife and four children arriving at Charlestown in June, 1635. On the first page of a journal which he kept, giving a record of the baptisms, marriages, and deaths, which came under his notice during his ministry of nearly 44 years in out Hingham is the following.:
‘I with my wife and four children came safely to New Englane June ye 8: 1635: for ever praysed be the god of Heaven my god and king.’
Hobart, born in Hingham,Norfolk, in 1604 and, like Peck, a graduate of Magdalene College, Cambridge, sought shelter from the prevailing discipline of the high church among his fellow Puritans. The cost to those who emigrated was steep. They “sold their possessions for half their value”, noted a contemporary account, “and named the place of their settlement after their natal town.” (The cost to the place they left behind was also high: Hingham was forced to petition Parliament for aid, claiming that the departure of its most well-to-do citizens had left it hamstrung.)
In Sept. following he settled in Hingham, and on the 18th of that month received a grant of a house-lot on Town (North) St. He also had other grants of land for planting purposes. Rev. Peter Hobart also left a will, in which his fifteen children. then living are mentioned. The date of his death, and the years of his ministry are recorded on a memorial tablet standing near Central Ave., in the Hing. cemetery as foll.: –
In memory of Revd. Peter Hobart who died January 20th 1679 in the 75th year of his age and 53rd of his ministery 9 years of which he spent in Hingham Great Britain & 44 in Hingham, Massachusetts.
Check out Peter Hobart’s journal, published in NEHGR 121(1967):3-25, 102-127, 191-216, 269-294.
Peter was the minister of the Old Ship Church of Hingham. History has Peter “as an independent and spirited clergyman … which occasionally brought him up before the general court [of the Massachusetts Bay Colony] to answer for his outspoken opinions.
Before the Rev Peter Hobart arrived in New England, with his flock from his church in Hingham, England, the place he came to was settled, but known as Barecove. By petition to the general court of the Massachusetts Bay Company, Hobart got the name of ” Barecove is changed and hereafter to be called Hingham.” After 44 years of service, minister Peter Hobart died on Jan. 20, 1679, on the eve of the building of the new house of worship.
Hobart’s diary of events in Hingham, begun in the year 1635, was continued on his death by his son David. By the time Old Ship was built, Harvard-educated Rev. John Norton, who had been ordained by Peter Hobart, had assumed Hobart’s ministry. (Rev. John Norton was the great-grandfather of Abigail Adams, wife of President John Adams.
Old Ship Church deacon John Leavitt, whose son John married Rev. Hobart’s daughter Bathsheba, was deacon when Old Ship was constructed and he argued forcefully for the construction of a new meetinghouse. The matter of replacing the old thatched log meeting house stirred intense emotion in Hingham, and it took two heated town meetings to settle on a site for the new edifice, which was built on land donated by Capt. Joshua Hobart, twin brother of Rev. Peter Hobart. Ultimately, the town appropriated £430 for the new building, said to be the equal of any in the Massachusetts Bay Colo The modern frame edifice, devoid of ornamentation, was raised in 1681, and accommodated its first worship service the following year.
The Old Ship in Hingham, Massachusetts, is the oldest surviving meetinghouse. It is the oldest church in continuous ecclesiastical use in the United States. It is the only remaining 17th century Puritan meetinghouse in America. and the only surviving example in this country of the English Gothic style of the 17th century. The most distinctive feature of the structure is its Hammerbeam roof, a Gothic open timber construction, the most well-known example that of Westminster Hall. Some of those working on the soaring structure were no doubt ship carpenters; others were East Anglians familiar with the method of constructing a hammerbeam roof. The more familiar delicately spired white Colonial churches of New England would not be built for more than half a century.”
Within the church, “the ceiling, made of great oak beams, looks like the inverted frame of a ship, Architecturally, the Old Ship is quite a bit different from the Meetinghouses that were built in the 1700s. Its layout is essentially square, with a hip roof. As with later meetinghouses, the main entrance faces south, and the interior layout consists of a high pulpit on the north wall, and galleries on the other three walls. Box pews occupy both the ground floor and the galleries. When it was originally built, there would probably have been entrances on the east and west walls for women and men, respectively. However, additions to the east and west sides of the building have removed these earlier entrances.
3. Joseph Peck
Joseph’s first wife Hannah Playford was born in 1628 Hingham, Norfolk, England. Her parents were Thomas Playford and Dorothy White. Hannah died in 1695 in Seekonk, Mass.
Joseph’s second wife Sarah Hunt
Joseph is believed to have married a Hannah Playford who was born in 1625. He had 8 children and lived to 74 years of age
Children of Joseph and Hannah:
i. Rebecca Peck b. 6 Nov 1650 in Rehoboth; d. 28 Sep 1682 Dedham, Norfolk, Mass; m. 25 Apr 1671 in Dedham, Norfolk, Mass. to Thomas Paine
ii. Hannah Peck b. 25 Mar 1653 in Rehoboth
Samuel’s first wife Judith Smith was born about 1650. Her parents were Capt. John Smith of Hingham, Mass.
Samuel’s second wife Elizabeth Peck was 30 years younger than Samuel, born 29 Dec 1673 Wallingford, New Haven, CT. Elizaabeth died 1709 (Age 35) Wallingford, New Haven, CT. She survived him, and m. Gershom Palmer of Stonington, son of our ancestor Walter PALMER.
v. Mary Peck b. 17 Nov 1662 in Rehoboth
vi. Ichabod Peck b. 13 Sep 1666 in Rehoboth
4. John PECK (See his page)
5. Capt. Nicholas Peck
Nicholas’ first wife Mary Winchester was born 19 Nov 1637 in Plymouth, Plymouth, Mass. Her parents were Alexander Winchester and xx. Mary died 6 Nov 1657 in Seekonk, Bristol, Mass.
Nicholas’ second wife Rebecah Bosworth was born Feb 1641 in Seakonk, Bristol, Mass. Her parents were Jonathan Bosworth and Elizabeth [__?__]. Rebecah died 2 Nov 1704 in Rehoboth, Bristol, Mass
He had 7 children and his will is at Taunton, Mass.
6. Simon Peck
Simon’s first wife Hannah Farnsworth was born 14 Dec 1638 in Dorchester, Suffolk, Mass. Her parents were Joseph Farnsworth and Elizabeth Mason.Hannah died 16 Apr 1659 in Hingham, Plymouth, Mass.
Simon’s second wife Prudence Clapp was born 28 Dec 1637 in Dorchester, Suffolk, Mass. Her parents were Edward Clapp and Prudence [__?__]. Prudence died 24 Mar 1687 in Dorchester, Mass
7. Deliverance Peck
Deliverance’s first husband William Cahoon was born in 1633 in Tullichewan, Scotland. His parents were Alexander Colquhoun and Marian Stirling. William was killed in King Philip’s War on 22 Jun 1675 in Rehoboth, Mass.
William Colquhoun fought the English in the brutal battles of Dunbar and Worcester in Scotland, and was captured by the Army of Parliament. He was indentured to the iron mines in Braintree, Massachusetts. Upon achieving his freedom, he sailed on the “Shallop” to Rhode Island and bought a share of Block Island there. In 1664 he went to Swansea RI and successfully petitioned the General Assembly to make him a freeman with full rights as a citizen.
“William Cahoon in America soon about 1652 (possibly aboard the Unity). He worked for a number of years at Saugus (Lynn, Mass.). He spent six months at Taunton before assisting in the construction of a shallop at Braintree. In April of 1661, he was one of the fifteen men who sailed from Taunton to Cow Cove and became the first settlers of Black Island, Mass. (now Rhode Island).
His period of servidtude presumably espired before the end of 1662, and on 13 Jan 1662/63 William Cahoune bought from Thomas Terry 40 acres on the ‘hieway’ that then divided Block Island. On 4 May 1664 he was a freeman at New Shoreham, in 1665 he served on a Newport grand jury, and on 20 Feb 1669/70 he became a freeman and permanent resident of Swansea, Mass.
On 13 Nov 1670 William Cohoun sold his 38 acres on Block Island to Samuel Hagbourne. At the coming of King Philip’s War, William Cahoone was killed by the Indians near East Rehoboth on 22 June 1675 and was buried at Swansea two days later.
On Sunday, June 24, 1675, the colonists held a day of prayer concerning the unrest. Upon returning to their homes after church services, numerous residents of Swansea were killed. Others, including the family of William and Deliverance, sought refuge in the garrison home of Rev. John Myles. During the night, one of their sentries was attacked and injured. They decided to send two men to the neighboring town of Rehoboth to retrieve the doctor. One of these was William. Along the way, both men were killed by the Indians. William was 42 and had a wife and seven children.
In 1681 Joseph Kent and Caleb Lambert were appointed guardians of Joseph Cahoon (son of William & Deliverance).
Deliverance’s second husband Caleb Lumbert was born about 1635 in Dorchester, Mass. His parents were our ancestors Thomas LUMBERT and [__?__]. He first married Mary Prout. Caleb died 7 Jun 1691 in Barnstable, Barnstable, Mass.
More about William Cahoon
The William Cahoone (Colquhoun) Society Founded on the 325th anniversary of his death, June 24, 2000, by The Descendants Of William, The First American Cahoone.
What does Block Island have to do with William Cahoone? LOTS!!!
In 1661, under the leadership of Dr. John Alcock of Boston, Mass. (one of the first graduates of Harvard), a group of men (some with their families), wishing to leave what they perceived as the “unfree” atmosphere of the Puritans, landed on Block Island. These free-thinkers defiantly believed that the State should have no power over people’s religious conviction nor their right to vote. They held to their opinion that no onehad the right to tell them what to charge for their own goods and services rendered nor what clothes to wear. They even dared to support the basic rights of Native Americans, including their being”paid” for their land, rather than having it just taken away from them “in God’s name”.
It was this group’s goal to found a new settlement where they could “breathe the air of freedom”. To this end, Wiliam Cahoone, along with a few other indentured Scotsmen, was returned from the Leonard Iron Works back to Quincy where he worked on the construction of a shallop (a 22+’ 2-masted shipdesigned for transport of people and goods along the shallower waters near the coast). William and this boat were returned to the Leonard Iron Works, on what today is the Raynham/Taunton line. In April of 1661, these “new pilgrims”, who included William Cahoone, then traveled down the Taunton River, the Warren River, out into Mt. Hope Bay, Narragansett Bay, and out to Block Island at Cow Cove.As the settlers’ boat came close to the shore, an unforseen problem presented itself: -how to unload the cattle?!
After some deliberation, it was decided that the easiest way to accomplish this necessary task would be simply to push the cows overboard! The bewildered beasts were compelled to swim, much to the delight of the curious and excited Native Americans gathered there.
Even til today, this stretch of beach is still known as “Cow Cove”. WILLIAM CAHOONE WAS FIRST LISTED AS A FREEMAN HERE ON MAY 4, 1664! In 1911, a lasting tribute to these stalwart souls was erected on Block Island in the form of “Settlers’ Rock” on which a commemorative plaque lists the settlers’ names.
Officially made Swansea’s first town brickmaker, Dec. 24, 1673 William Cahoone finally met with “success” as a Freeman in Swansea, Massachusetts, when he was officially appointed as the sole brickmaker for that town. There is still in existence, in the Swansea Town Offices, the original bound volume entitled: “Proprietors Book of Grants and Meetings, 1668-1769″. It includes the following entry: “At A Town Meeting of the Towns Men, Dec 24, 1673, It was Agreed upon by and Between the townsmen In the behalf of the town and William Cohoone (Cohoune/Cohowne?) brickmaker that for and In Consideration of a Lot and other Accommodations or Grantes And Given by him from the town unto him the said William Cohoun. It was therefore Agreed and Concluded upon by the Parties Above so that the saidWilliam Cohoon Shall Supply all the Inhabitants of the Town with Bricks at a Price not Exceeding Twenty Shillings a Thousand in Current Pay Putting between Man and Man.”
In each instance where William’s name is written, his last name is spelled differently! This is a sign that perhaps William Cahoone was illiterate, not that uncommon for his times and circumstances. Is it any wonder, therefore, that even today this name is spelled in so many different ways?
On June 24, 2000, William Cahoone’s direct descendants donated a Commemorative Plaque to the Swansea Historical Society. It will be affixed to a rock and erected near the site of the Cahoone Brickworks, close to the location of the Myles Garrisoned House along the Palmer River in Swansea, Mass
The Providence Journal newspaper sent a reporter to cover the William Cahoone Memorial Service on June 25, 2000. The following is the article which subsequently appeared on July 10, 2000. It was accompanied by four photographs
A settler’s sacrifice. Descendants gather to honor a Swansea founder. by Meredith Goldstein REHOBOTH – Deborah Cahoon Didick knows the story by heart. It was June 24, 1675. Native Americans and settlers were about to begin fighting in what came to be known as King Philip’s War, a bloody battle over land and identity. William Cahoone, a Scottish immigrant, gathered with a group of local residents at the Baptist Meeting House in Swansea for a day of prayer. They prayed for peace, hoping that the growing tension would subside. That night, however, as they left the church, the settlers were ambushed by Native Americans who had become vengeful for their stolen homeland. Some of the settlers were killed, others badly wounded. The survivors ran to the pastor’s house to hide.
William Cahoone was a family man. He had come to the New Plymouth Colony as an indentured servant and became one of the first residents of Swansea (founded in 1668), where he and his wife raised seven children. He was the town’s official brickmaker.
That night, as his companions lay injured and dying, Cahoone volunteered to travel through what he knew was hostile territory to get medical help. He set off through Swansea toward Rehoboth to get a doctor. Cahoone was never seen alive again. His remains were found in Rehoboth near Providence and Lake Streets, the original Native American footpaths. He was never given a proper Baptist burial. Three-hundred twenty-five years and one day later, a group of about 30 of Cahoone’s descendants gathered at the Lake Street Cemetery in Rehoboth to lay their patriarch to rest. They wore pink name tags which said how they are related to Cahoone (now spelled Cahoon), and laid fresh flowers in honor of the anniversary of his death. “You can cry”, said Didick, an 11th -generation Cahoon who organized the memorial service. “You’re family. You’re my cousins.” Didick spent the last year finding Cahoons in Rhode Island, Massachusetts and all around the country, some of whom did not know their ancestor’s history in Rehoboth and Swansea. She invitedthem all to the area to meet one another and learn about “Grampa Will”, the man who sacrificed his own life for those who needed medical attention. After more than three centuries, Didick wanted to gather with her family together to put Cahoone’s spirit to rest. During a memorial weekend, they toured Cahoone’s past. They stopped at the Leonard Iron Works in Raynham where Cahoone worked before moving to Block Island in 1661. They followed the Taunton River, the same route he would have traveled to get to the island, where he was first listed as a Freeman. They went to the Luther Museum in Swansea to see his brickmaking handiwork, and stopped at the site of the Myles Garrison House in Swansea where Cahoone was last seen alive by his friends and neighbors.
The group celebrated their heritage at a testimonial dinner where newly-acquainted family members spoke about their ever-present connection to Grampa Will. And on Sunday, June 25, they had a proper funeral. To the cries of bagpipes played by Charles Neil Cahoon, they placed flowers on a small gravesite. The Rev. Edgar Farley of the Hornbine Historic Baptist Church led the service. He thanked Cahoone for making a journey of mercy, and sacrificing his life to help other people. “
Richard (Cahoon) Didick June 25th, 2000
Deliverance Peck and William Cahoon were married. William Cahoon was captured by the English, along with his brother John, and they were sold as an indentured servants and sent to America. On 11 Nov 1650 William was taken to Liverpool and was transported from there to Boston, Massachusetts aboard the ship “Unity,” commanded by Captain Augustine Walker of Charlestown, Massachusetts. Bex & Company, a London Merchant company, purchased several Scotch prisoners for indentured servants to exploit bog iron at Saugus, Braintree, and Taunton.
William’s brother John was shipped from London aboard the ship “John & Sarah” on 11 Nov 1652, but he died either on the voyage or shortly after arriving in Massachusetts.
After working in Saugus, Massachusetts for several years, William worked in Taunton for 6 months. He then assisted in the construction of a shallop at Braintree, Massachusetts. He learned the brick making trade from James Leonard.
In 1660, with sixteen others, he purchased Block Island, Rhode Island,and became one of the first settlers there, and settled at Cow Cove on Block Island. They sailed from Taunton to Cow Cove in 1661 and became the first settlers on Block Island. Apparently his term of servitude had ended by this time.
On 13 Jan 1663 he purchased 40 acres from Thomas Terry, which were on the ‘hiway’ that divided Block Island. On 4 May 1664 he was a freeman in New Shoreham. In 1665 he served on a Newport Grand Jury. On 13 Nov 1670 he sold 38 acres on Block Island to Samuel Hogbourne.
William worked as a brickmaker in Braintree, Massachusetts, according to a contract dated 23 Dec 1673.
In “Hubbard’s Narrative of Indian Wars” we find this record: “On the 24th of June, 1675, the alarm was sounded in Plymouth Colony, when eight or nine of the English were slain in and about Swansea, they being the first to fall in King Philip’s War.” William Cahoon was one of these nine. He was killed by Indians during the King Philips War, on 22 Jun 1675 near East Rehoboth, Bristol County, Massachusetts. He was buried two days later, on 24 Jun 1675, at Swansea, Massachusetts. We find in the records of this event the Americanized spelling of the name from Colquhoun to Cahoon.
8. Samuel Peck
Samuel’s first wife Sarah [__?__]
Samuel’s second wife Rebecca Paine was born 1655 in Rehoboth, Mass. Rebecca died 23 Feb 1718 in Rehoboth, Bristol, Mass.
He moved with his father to Seekonk, and remained upon the homestead after his father’s decease. He was one of the deacons of the church. He also held various town offices. He was a Deputy to the general court at Plymouth, in 1689 and 1692. He was the first representative from the town after the Colony of Plymouth and Massachusetts were united in 1692. He married twice and had 6 children 3 of whom died young. He first married Sarah, who was buried 27 Nov 1673. He then married Rebecca Paine Hunt 27 Nov 1677, widow of Peter Hunt and daughter of Stephen Paine. She died 12 Jun 1699.
9. Nathaniel Peck
Nathaniel’s wife Deliverance Bosworth was born was born 4 Aug 1650 in Rehoboth, Bristol, Mass. Her parents were Jonathan Bosworth and Elizabeth [__?__]. Deliverance died 30 Apr 1675 in Swansea, Bristol, Mass.
Nathaniel was a major land owner around Barrington, RI. He and his wife died young at around 35 years. It appears he had 3 children but only one, Nathaniel, survived to have children.
10. Israel Peck
Israel’s wife Bethiah Bosworth was born Jan 1644 in Rehoboth, Bristol, Mass. Her parents were Jonathan Bosworth and Elizabeth [__?__]. Bethiah died 5 Apr 1718 in Swansea, Bristol, Mass
Israel died at 80 years of age. He was married July 15, 1670 to Bethiah Bosworth whose stone is nearby. She lived to be 75, dying April 4, 1718. Israel held various public offices and his will is recorded at Taunton, Mass.,
New England Families Genealogical and Memorial: Third Series, Volume IV
Author: William Richard Cutter
Publication: New York, 1915, (reprinted Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, Maryland, 1967)
Page: Page 1693