Richard THURLOW (1606 – 1685) was Alex’s 11th Great Grandfather, one of 4,096 in this generation of the Shaw line.
Richard was born ca.1606 in Holme-Upon-Spaulding-Moor, East Riding Yorkshire, England. His parents were Francis THURLEY and [__?__]. He married Jane [__?__] before 1636. From all indications Richard Thurlow and his wife Jane sailed in 1638 from Hull, Yorkshire to Boston on the ship, “John of London.” He was one of a group consisting of about 60 families led by the Rev. Ezekiel ROGERS, most of whom had been residents of the Yorkshire village of Rowley and it’s surrounding area. He was a planter and settled first in Rowley Mass, owning land there in 1640. He removed to Newbury, Mass., 1651, Richard died 10 Nov 1685 in Newbury, Mass.
Jane was born about 1610 in England. She died 19 Mar 1684 in Newbury, Mass.
Children of Richard and Jane:
|1.||John Thorley||21 Aug 1628
|2.||Francis THORLEY||7 Feb 1629/30 Holme-Upon-Spalding-Moor, York, England||Ann MORSE
5 Feb 1654/55
|26 Nov 1703
|3.||Thomas Thurlow||1 Jan 1633
13 Apr 1670
|23 Jun 1732
|4.||Mary Tharly (Thorley)||ca. 1636
20 Nov 1653
|24 Oct 1661|
|5.||Lidea Thurlley (Thorley)||1 Feb 1640
29 Oct 1661
6 Aug 1694
|4 Jul 1669
|6.||John Thorley||19 May 1644
|4 Jul 1659
|7.||Martha Thurley (Thorla)||1646
|John Dresser||29 Jan 1700
Unfortunately, there is little directly related historical information about the ship — “John of London“, let alone about the specific voyage in 1638 that carried this group to their new home in New England. Undoubtedly, Rev. Rogers kept records and a log during the voyage, but these, along with most of his belongings, were lost in the fire that destroyed his dwelling in Rowley, Mass. a few years after he and many of the group settled there.
Until shortly before the group left Yorkshire, the Rev. Rogers was vicar of St. Peter’s church in Rowley for many years. Following the voyage to New England, he and many others in the group founded (in 1639) and settled in the village of Rowley, Mass., named after his previous English residence. In 1994 the people of Rowley, Mass. gave to the church of St. Peter’s in Rowley Yks. a stained glass window to honor the memory of their founder. This window depicts Rev. Rogers, several of the settlers and the ship upon which they sailed.
George Lamberton took the settlers over to Boston where I believe he already had a house. There was some sort of dispute between him and the Rev. Ezekial Rogers. Lamberton, a seafarer trading down the eastern seaboard, wanted to join Davenport and go to New Haven (group of rich merchants, from London) He is listed on one of the best plots on the map of nine squares of New Haven. Just looking at the map, Rowley is slightly inland and would not have suited a sea captain.
Edward Atwater in his History of the Colony of New Haven, mentions a minister of high standing in Yorkshire named Ezekiel Rogers who, having embarked at Hull on the Humber, with a company that personally knew him and desired to enjoy his ministry arrived in Boston late in the summer (in 1638). Rogers originally planned to join the colonists at Quinnipiac (New Haven) but something was not to his satisfaction (I don’t know what) and he remained in Massachusetts Bay Colony. He established himself and his group at a place in Massachusetts that he called Rowley.
Rogers frequently corresponded with Winthrop, the governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony. In one of his letters, he speaks of the New Haven planters as follows: “Sir: Mr. Lamberton did us much wrong. I expected his coming to the Bay: but it seems he sits down at Quinnipiac : yet he hath a house in Boston: I would humbly crave your advice to Mr. Will Bellingham about it, whether we might not enter an action against him and upon proof get help by that house.” Atwater says, “This evidently refers to Rogers’ disappointment in not receiving back those of his flock who staid in New Haven, and reads as if Lamberton were to be counted among them.”
On the “tenth of the eleventh Anno Dni 1643, Thomas Nelson, Edward Carlton, Humphrey Reynon & Francis Parrot made a survey of the town and a register of the several house lots of from 1 1/2 to 6 acres then laid out to the settlers.
Here is today’s approximate location of Richard’s lot on Google Maps..
3 May 1654 – The General Court noted that Richard Thorley, having built a bridge over Newbury (Parker) River at his own expense was at liberty to collect toll for cattle, but passengers to go free. This was the first bridge erected over navigable waters within the limits of Old Newbury, and over navigable waters within the limits of Newbury, and comes third in the list of bridges that have been in continuous use in New England for two centuries and a half. It had been rebuilt and repaired several times but the location remained the same and it stands on the same site it occupied 350 yrs ago.
27 Jan 1669 – Richard gave part of his farm to his son Thomas wich was to pass to his son Franics in case of Thomas’ death. His wife Jane joined in the deed.
29 May 1671 – Richard was fined four nobles [a noble was six shillings and eight-pence so Richard fine was a little more than a pound] for his part in the Parker-Woodman War.
Parker- Woodman War
For many years the church in Newbury had been divided, almost equally, between the original pastor, Reverend Thomas Parker, and Mr. Edward WOODMAN, of whom the noted historian Joshua Coffin wrote: “He was a man of influence, decision and energy, and opposed with great zeal the attempt made by the Rev. Thomas Parker to change the mode of Church government from Congregationalism to something like Presbytarianism.” This divison of the town was not due to a great difference of theology, but of church governemt.
As early as 1645 the Rev. Parker and his party maintained the church should be governed by the pastor, his assistants, and a ruling elder. Mr. Woodman’s party believed it was the right of the members of the church, and government should be by the congretation. In a letter to the church council, Mr. Edward stated, “As for our controversy it is whether God hath placed the power in the elder, or in the whole church, to judge between truth and error, right and wrong, brother and brother, and all things of church concernment.” These ecclesiastical problems, which grew more violent and partisan each year, plagued the town for over 25 yearsand became known throughout New England as the “Parker-Woodmam War.”
By 1669 difference of opinion had grown to such proportions that an appeal was made to the civil authorities. the court proceedings began March 13th at Ipswich and continued on and off for over two years. The decision of the court, on May 29, 1671, found in favor of Rev. Parker’s part and levied fines against the members of Mr. Woodman’s party. Edward Woodman was fined 20 nobles. [ A noble is six shillings and eight-pence so Edward’s fine was a little more than 13 pounds]
Mr. Richard Dummer , Richard THORLAY (THURLOW), Stephen Greenleaf [son of Edmund GREENLEAF], Richard Bartlet and William Titcomg, fined 4 nobles each. Francis Plummer, John Emery, Sr., John Emery, Jr., John Merrill and Thomas Browne, a Mark each. [A mark is thirteen shillings and fourpence. ]
All others Nicholas Batt, Anthony MORSE Sr, Abraham Toppan, William Sawyer, Edward Woodman junior, William Pilsbury, Caleb Moody, John Poor Sr, John Poor Jr, John Webster, John Bartlet Sr., John Bartlet Jr, Joseph Plumer, Edward Richardson, Thomas Hale Jr., Edmund Moores, Benjamin LOWLE (LOWELL), Job Pilsbury, John Wells, William Ilsley, James Ordway, Francis THORLA (THORLAY), Abraham Merrill, John Bailey, Benjamin Rolf, Steven Swett, and Samuel Plumer, a noble each. However, the judgement of the court did not bring an end to the controversy, and the conflict continued for several years. Note: For a complete chronology, see pages 72-112 of Joshua Coffin’s History of Newbury.
11 Jun 1680 – The General Court orders Thurlow’s bridge made free.”
Ref: Coffins History of Newbury: “Richard Thorla was one of the party in the church that was against the Rev. Mr. Parker, their minister. For a number of years there were differences among the members and it was not settled even after the court found them guilty. Richard Thurlow, being of Mr. Woodman’s party (the losing one) was fined four nobles (a noble is 6 shillings, 8 pence). His was one of the leaders. His eldest son, Francis, one noble.”
2. Francis THORLEY (See his page)
3. Thomas Thurlow
Thomas’ wife Judith March was born 3 Jan 1653 in Newbury, Essex, Mass. Her parents were Hugh March and Judith Knight. Judith died 11 Jul 1689 in Newbury, Essex, Mass
4. Mary Tharly (Thorley)
Mary’s husband John Woolcutt was born 1632 in Newbury, Essex, Mass. His parents were William Walcott and Alice Ingersoll. John died 30 Sep 1690 in Springfield, Hampden, Mass.
John’s father William Walcott, b. c.1610, was granted 30 acres of land at Jeffrey’s Creek near Salem Mass. in 1636. He must have returned to England, however, as he is listed as leaving England for America in 1638: “William Walcot for Capt. Butler, passenger for Providence Island by the Swallow”. William held land at Salem for a family of 4 people in 1640. He married Alice Ingersoll, daughter of Richard Ingersoll of Salem. Richard Ingersoll’s daughter, Alice Walcott, was mentioned in his will to receive “my house at town with 10 acres upland & meadow after my wifes decease.”
William Walcott was one of several residents of Salem, including the founder of Rhode Island, Roger Williams, who were censured in a letter from the Salem church to the Dorchester Church, dated 1639:
“William Walcott for refusing to bring his child to the ordinance, neglecting willingly family duties, etc.”
This probably means that he did not have his child baptized, and may indicate he was a follower of Roger Williams who advocated adult baptism. The Quarterly Court at Salem ordered in 1642 that William Walcott be whipped for idleness. Essex Co. Quarterly Court records state:
“Willia. Walcotts wife children & estate committed to Richard Inkersell hs father in law 27:10:1643 to be disposed of according to God and the said Wm. Walcott to bee & Remaine as his servant.”
William is thought to have left Salem about 1644, leaving his family behind. In that year a law was passed saying that all who opposed infant baptism were subject to banishment from the colony. In 1651 he or another William Walcott was a shoals witness in Maine. In 1652 the Salem records show that “means were taken by the court to preserve his estate.” This probably included selling his land, because in 1652, Robert Goodell of Salem owned land at Salem which included 30 acres that had formerly been granted to William Walcott.
5. Lidea Thurlow
Lidea’s firsst husband Nathaniel Wells was born 1636 in Salisbury, Essex, Mass. His parents were Deacon Thomas Wells and Abigail Warner. Deacon Thomas was the son of our ancestor Thomas WELLS (Colchester) (1566 – 1620), Abigail Warner was the daughter of our ancestor William WARNER.
Lidea’s second husband Nathaniel Emerson was born 18 Jul 1630 in Bishops Staffordshire, Hertfordshire, England. His parents were Thomas Emerson and Elizabeth Brewster. He first married 1653 in Ipswich, Essex, Mass. to Sarah [__?__] (b. 1634 in Ipswich, Mass – d. 3 Aug 1670 in Ipswich). Nathaniel died 29 Dec 1712 in Ipswich, Essex, Mass.
7. Martha Thurley (Thorla)
Martha’s husband John Dresser was born 1640 in Rowley, Essex, Mass. His parents were John Dresser and Mary [_?__]. John died 14 Mar 1724 in Rowley, Essex, Mass.
Danforth Genealogy – Nicholas Danforth of Framington England (1539 – 1648) and Cambrige NE and William Danforth of Newbury Mass (1640 – 1721_ and their descendents – Google Books 1902