Robert McConahay LATTA (1824 – 1872) is Alex’s 4th Great Grandfather, one of 32 in this generation of the Miner line.
Robert McConahay Latta was born on 27 March 1824 in Crawford County PA. His parents were William LATTA and Jane McCONAHEY. He married Letitia JOHNSTON on 25 Jan 1849 when he was 23 years old. He died in Cass County Nebraska on 25 Mar 1872.
Letitia Johnston (Johnson) was born about 1829 in Pennsylvania. (Letitia was 21 in the 1850 census.) Most sources show her birth state as Pennsylvania, but the 1850 census show it as Ohio. Her parents were William JOHNSTON and Margaret [__?__]. Letitia died 17 Feb 1870 in Rock Bluff, Nebraska at the age of 40 shortly after giving birth to son Elbert Johnston Latta, due to complications. Robert lost his wife and his mother within a couple months. Letitia’s two youngest children, Elbert and Samuel, and, for a time, James were raised by her eldest daughter Calista and Philo MINER.
Children of Robert and Letitia:
|1.||Calista Jane LATTA||11 Nov 1849
|Philo Sidney MINER
4 May 1869 Cass Co. Neb
|2.||George Austin Latta||9 Sep 1852 Washington, Iowa||Margaret Ann Peak
2 Sep 1874 Plattsmouth, Nebraska
|c. 1935 Nebraska|
|3.||William Edmonston Latta||22 Jul 1854
|Caroline Lee Current
1 Oct 1873
Sarah L [__?__]
|After 1940 census, Clay Center, Clay, Nebraska|
|.||James Thompson Latta||1 Feb 1860 Cass County, Nebraska||Mary Adeline Peake
25 Jun 1883 Cowles, Webster, Nebraska
|4 Jan 1940 – Orange, California|
|5.||Mary Elizabeth Latta||14 Jun 1857
Rock Bluff, Neb
|17 Aug 1859
Rock Bluff, Neb
|6.||Samuel Foster Latta||16 Apr 1865 Rock Bluff, Nebraska||Ida Neal
|Aft 1930 census
Rock Bluff, Nebraska
|7.||Dr. Elbert (Albert) Johnston Latta||11 Feb 1870
30 Sep 1896.
Mamie Ethel Woodworth
Plot: Section H; Row 15; Lot 41.
Robert and Letitia lived near Cincinnati in the 1850 census in Spencer Township, Hamilton County, Ohio. Robert McConahey Latta (25,) Letitia Latta (21) and daughter Calista ‘Celeste’ (under 1).
The Latta family settled in Cincinnati about 1853. In the fall of 1858 they left Cincinnati by boat. The river froze and they were obliged to stop one winter at St. Louis, Mo. The next spring, crossing the Mississippi they went down into the southwestern corner of Iowa, and settled in Page County. From there they removed to Mills County in the same State, and thence in 1861 to the Territory of Nebraska, locating not long afterward on 160 acres of new land on section 27 in Rock Bluff Precinct. Robert was a carpenter and ran a saw mill.
Robert’s father and Uncle John were both living in Rock Bluff, Cass County, Nebraska Territory in the 1860 Census. Robert’s brothers William Story, John Allison and Samuel Glenn all spent much of their lives in Cass County. For more about Rock Bluff, see my page Western Pioneers.
Lettitia died Feb. 17, 1870. In 1871, Robert Latta rented his farm, and afterward proceeded to Chicago and engaged at his trade of carpenter, which he had learned during his early manhood. He only lived a short time afterward, dying in April of that same year.
18 Aug 1860 – Robert M. Latta and Letitia Latta were admitted in full communiion into the First Presbyterian Church in Murray, Nebraska.
The History of the United Presbyterian Church, Murray, Nebraska, 1860-1960 by Margaret Spangler Todd
“According to appointment of the General Assembly of the United Presbyterian Church made at Philadelphia in May 1860 I came a missionary to Nebraska Territory in July and commenced preaching half time in Rock Bluff Cass County.” Thus Rev. Thomas McCartney entered the first minutes in the Session Records of the Rock Bluffs United Presbyterian Church.
The next item entered was dated August 18, 1860, reading: “By arrangement with those who requested preaching August 18th was designated as the time for the organizing a church. And on the day appointed, after a sermon from Matthew 11:29 the following people were admitted in full communion by assenting to the pricinples of the church, to wit: Robert M. LATTA, Letitia LATTA, William L. Thompson, Hanna E. Thompson, William H. Royal, Elizabeth Royal, David Storey [Robert's first cousin see Robert STORY's page] , Jane Latta and Mary Latta.” Also Robert M. LATTA and W.L. Thompson were, by ballot, chosen as ruling elders and the organization named “The United Presbyterian Congregation of Rock Bluffs.”
The following Act of Legislature was approved January 4, 1861: “To incorporate The United Presbyterian Church at Rock Bluffs City: Section I – Be it enacted by the council and the house of representatives of the Territory of Nebraska, that Joh Latta [Robert's brother John Allison], William H. Royal, David Storey, Robert M. LATTA and William L. Thompson and their associates and successors, the members of the United Presbyterian Church of Rock Bluffs City, Cass County, be, and the same are hereby created a body politic and corporate, under the name style and title to remain in perpetual succession with full power to plead and be impleaded, to sue and be sued, to receive, acquire hold and possess prpoerty, real, person and mixed; to use, employ, manage and dispose of all such property as they deem proper for use and well being of said church and in consistent with the provisions of said act, to elect such trustees and other officers and make such rules and by-laws as they deem proper provided always, that they do any act or make any rule or by-law which shall in any way conflict with t he constitution of the United States or doctrine or usages of the United Presbyterian Church of the United States of America.”
At first, divine services were held every alternate Sabbath in the village school house. An acre of timber on the east side of the Missouri River was purchased to furnish the lumber for the church building which was erected. The timber was worked up, brought across the river and the building was soon started. Practically all of the labor was done by the members of the church. February 16, 1862 the church building was opened for public worship, furnished and entirely free from debt.
Ordination and installation of the first elders was held Friday afternoon February 21, 1862. R.M. LATTA was clerk of the session. The first communion service held by the United Presbyterian denomination was observed on February 23, 1862. The first children baptized were Kate Doom, James Thompson Latta, William Allison Royal, John Glen Royal and Evelyn Lucretia Nash, this ordinance being held on Monday February 2, 1862.
The Sabbath School was organized by Rev. Thos. McCartney March 9, 1862, the superintendent being W.L. Thompson. G.L. Seybolt was elected secretary and librarian. Teachers were R.M. LATTA, Letitia LATTA, Hanna E. Thompson and Mathilda Nash with Rev. McCartney and William Gilmour teachers of the Bible class.
The February 28, 1866 issue of the “Nebraska Herald” items the following, “The U.P. Church of Rock Bluffs was the first church building of the kind to be erected in Cass County. The members have lately erected a cupola and belfry in which they now have a bell weighing over 400 pounds.” The session books record a called meeting to make arrangements for paying off the debt incurred in building the cupola and addition.
This church building served the people well and the congregation prospered for a time. In the spring of 1878 the members and adherents of the U.P. Church held a meeting at the home of Anderson Root for the purpose of reviving and reorganizing the congregation. [Philo MINER's son, my great-great uncle Anderson Root Miner (1884 - 1974) was named after Mr. Root]
After some discussion it was decided to tear down the Rock Bluff U.P. building and remove it to some central point on the prairie. Mr. James A. Walker of Fairview offered to donate one-half acre adjoining the land he had previously donated to school district No. 56. The congregation was to assure Mr. Walker that they would always keep the lot well fenced. The congregation accepted Mr. Walker’s liberal offer and began plans for a church building. They decided to tear down the Rock Bluff church building and rebuild on the Walker lot. A building committee composed of William Lloyd, A.B. Root, and S.G.Latta [Robert's brother] was appointed. Before this building was completed the funds were exhausted and it was necessary to raise some money.
The Grandview Christian Church, west of Fairview, offered to loan the United Presbyterians $200.00 for the use of the building half time. The offer was gladly accepted with the understanding that when the United Presbyterian congregation was able to support a pastor whole time the Christian Brethren should release their claim and the United Presbyterians would return the $200.00.
The first recorded communion service in the new building was held in November, 1878.
At a congregational meeting held January 7, 1879 at the home of A.M. Holmes and on motion by Mr. Holmes, the name of the congregation was changed to Pleasant Hill United Presbyterian Church. Mr. Holmes was appointed to get a sign board painted to be placed on the west end of the church. Mr. G.F. Shryder was appointed to have a fence built around the church, assessing the members to defray expenses. Mr. Thomas Rankin was appointed to receive bids for cutting up all old lumber around the church building into stove wood and to receive bids for two cords of hard-wood and use in the church stove.
G.F. Shryder’s bid of $2 for cutting up the old lumber and W.H. Royal’s bid to supply two cords of hard wood for $11 delivered at the church were accepted. (G.F. Shryder’s grandson, Parr Young, is a trustee of our church now, 1960).
March 20, 1879 the congregation changed the name back to Fairview, as the village was so called. Mr. A.M. Holmes was again appointed to paint a sign board – this one to read “Fairview United Presbyterian Church.”
In the Autumn of 1880 the congregation decided that they could raise enough funds so as to employ a minister whole time and the $200 was returned to the Grandview Church. The Rev. G.R. Murray was installed, serving for ten years.
January 3, 1881 the trustees were instructed to build a porch at the front of the church. Specifications were 6 by 10 feet with the platform at the end “High enough to step into wagons.”
In 1890 the name of the town of Fairview and the name of the church were changed to Murray, in honor of Rev. George R. Murray.
Sunday morning November 3, 1895, Rev. S.S. Stewart was taken ill in the pulpit and could not finish his discourse. The congregation united in singing the 23rd Psalm and was dismissed with prayer and benediction by Dr. Forbes. Rev. Stewart’s illness proved fatal and he passed away November 11th. In the family history the following was recorded concerning Rev. Samuel S. Stewart, “He was called to a small mission station of about 30 members in a village of about 50 people. His health was not good and at first declined the call to Murray, Nebraska, but later decided God had called him to the Murray field.”
“It was a rare sight to behold when at an evening meeting in that little mission, more than 30 persons, nearly all of whom were heads of families, stood up confessing Christ and, by the rite of baptism, were received into the church.”
As time sped on the congregation increased in number and interest. By 1897 a new church building was deemed necessary. The old building was sold to J.E.A. Burton and moved north across the street and later was made into a private dwelling. This property is now owned by Lloyd Leyda. Work was immediately begun on the new church. The last communion in the old church was held March 6, 1898.
A brief recognition of the Latta family will be in order here. When the congregation was organized at Rock Bluff, Nebraska, in August of 1860, four of the nine charter members bore the name of Latta. Within the next ten years ten more members of the Latta families became members of the congregation. Among these was Samuel G. Latta, who made a profession of his faith and was received into membership in the church on Feb. 3, 1866. Some time before Nov. 23, 1888, he was elected as an elder, and his name first appears then as Clerk of Session. He served as an elder until his death.
According to his will, his son James P. Latta was to have use of the property as long as he lived, after which this congregation was to receive $3,000. James P. Latta passed away on Feb. 13, 1952, and the term of the will were fulfilled.
At a congregational meeting, it was decided to est aside $2,000 from the Latta legacy for remodeling the chancel and the purchase of an organ, and $1,600 of this amount was designated for an organ. Many of the members wanted a better instrument, and an additional $864 was soon raised to purchase a Hammond Church Organ, to be known as the “Latta Memorial Organ.”
This church is conservative in its teachings, but it is not narrow. It has no fads or fancies to over-emphasize, but it holds firmly to the fundamental teachings of the Word of God. It is tolerant toward all other true churches, and does not claim to have a monopoly upon salvation.
In the 1870 census, William H Miner twelve years old and was living with John and Nancy Johnston relatives of his sister-in-law Calista Jane Latta in Kinsman, Trumbull, Ohio. William’s mother Charity Webber had died in 1868. Evidently, Philo wasn’t very good at taking care of children by himself.
My guess is that John Johnston was Letitia’s brother.
John Johnston 56 Nancy J Johnston 54 Mary E Johnston 28 Emily Johnston 23 Malinda J Johnston 19 Amand(a) Johnston 13 William H Miner 12
The Johns(t)on family were also living in Kinsman, Ohio, ten years earlier in the 1860 census: All were born in Pennsylvania, except for the youngest Amand/Emma who was born in Ohio. Addison Root was listed as a male domestic.
John Johnson 46
Nancy Johnson 44
Mary Johnson 19
Wm Johnson 17
Sarah Johnson 15
Emily Johnson 13
Malinda Johnson 9
Emma Johnson 3
Addison Root 18
Ten years earlier in the 1850 census, the Johns(t)on family were living in Greene , Mercer , Pennsylvania. Mercer Township is in the Northwest corner of Mercer county and touches Crawford, County.
John Johnson 36 Years of Age
Nancy Johnson 34
Mary Johnson 10
Wm Johnson 7
Sarah Johnson 5
Emily Johnson 4
Amanda Johnson 1
In the 1840 census, there was a childless John Johnston couple in their 20’s living in West Salem, Mercer, Pennsylvania
Children and Grandchildren:
1. Calista Jane LATTA (See Philo Sidney MINER‘s page)
2. George Austin Latta
George’s wife Margaret Ann Peak was born 5 May 1853 in Delaware County, New York. Her parents were Eleazer Homer Peak and Mary Miller Holmes. Margaret died 15 June 1946 in Nebraska.
Margaret moved from New York to Plattsmouth, Nebraska with her parents between 1868 and 1870. Her father Eleazer Peak enlisted in Company G, New York 101st Infantry Regiment on 15 Nov 1861 and mustered out on 17 Apr 1862 at Washington, DC. George and Margaret homesteaded in Webster County, Nebraska in the early 1870’s.
George was a resident of Webster County, Nebraska
In the 1920 census, George and Margaret were retired living in Santa Ana, California with their daughter Mabel who was teaching grammar school. In the 1930 census, George and Margaret were retired farmers in Cowles, Webster, Nebraska living near their son Earl.
Children of George and Margaret Ann:
i. Marie Letitia Latta (16 Jul 1878 at Red Cloud, Nebraska – Aft. 1940 census) m. 1902 to John G. Bennett (1880 English Canada – Aft. 1940 census, Lincoln, Nebraska). John’s parents were from Ireland.
In the 1910 census John was working as a railway postal clerk in Lincoln, Nebraska. In the 1930 census, John was still working as a railway postal clerk in Lincoln. Two twin children, Gordon and Margaret born 1909.
ii. Mabel Edith Latta (28 Jun 1884 at Red Cloud, Nebraksa – Mar 1969 Pasadena, California)
Mabel never married. In 1929 teacher in Alhambra, Calif. In 1934, Mabel took a trip to England on the Carinthia. She took a trip to France in 1939 on the Georgic and a trip to Peru in 1941 on the Santa Clara
iii. George Earl Latta. Farmer; (28 Apr 1886 Webster County, Nebraksa – Feb 1967 Red Cloud, Nebraska) ed Cowles HS; m. 27 Nov 1912 Lincoln, Nebraska to Ethel Irene Osborne (abt 1893 Nebraska – After 1940 Census)
son: George Russell; daughters: Roxine Evelyn (Mrs Emil Pavelka), Betty Lee; 1910- owner & opr farm, stock raiser Webster Co; past member & past secretary Farmers Elevator bd 5 years; Amboy Telephone Exchange, director 5 years; member Cowles consolidated school board 20 years, secy 13 years; Farmers Union, secy 5 years; Farm Bur, mbr since orgn; Congl Ch; Dem; hobby, raising good stock; res Cowles.
In the 1930 census, George and Ethel had their own farm in Cowles, Webster, Nebraska.
3. William Edmonston Latta
William Edmonston claimed he was named after Edmiston Latta, one of the inventors of the steam fire engine of Cincinnati, Ohio. Also, Jennie Edmonston was Robert’s Great Grandmother. Edmiston spelled his name slightly differently. He was lame and helped his more famous inventor brother, Alexander Bonner Latta, invent the first steam fire engine. Here’s the relationship (Edmiston4 & Alexander4, John3, Mungo2, Moses1) vs. William Edmonston6, Robert5, William3, William2, Moses1)
On 1 Oct 1873, William married Sarah Lee Current. She was born 4 Jun 1856 in Indiana. Her parents were James Current and Sarah Colburn. Her family moved to Platte, Andrew, Missouri about 1864. Raiding Guerrilla bands overran the county through 1863 so this doesn’t seem like a smart move. Sarah died 24 Apr 1932 at Kenesaw, Nebraska.
In 1875 William purchased the interests of the heirs in the home farm, and resided upon it until the spring of 1888. Then, leaving it in the hands of a tenant he invested a part of his capital in a stock of merchandise, and established himself in business at Murray. He had a good trade among the people surrounding him, and being courteous and accommodating, was popular among his fellow-citizens. The business was first established in 1884 by his brother Samuel, and his uncle, Samuel G. Latta, of whom he purchased stock and property.
Mr. Latta, politically,was an earnest Republican, and his estimable wife a member in good standing of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
In 1934 William lived at Clay Center, Neb.; in 1937 at Culbertson, Neb. In 1910, William was a house carpenter in Kenesaw, Adams, Nebraska. Now a retired farmer, he was for fifteen years in the mercantile, grain and implement business. His wife until recently assisted her husband in his business.
Children of William and Sarah:
i. Lette Oella Latta ( 10 Aug 1874 – 1927); m. 1893 to Jesse L. Templeton (May 1870 Pennsylvania – 5 Mar 1950 Los Angeles)
In the 1920 census, Lette and Jesse were living in Kenesaw, Adams, Nebraska where Jesse sold real estate.
ii. Dr. James Oscar Latta b. 9 Aug 1877 Murray, Nebraska; d.1943, Nebraska; Burial Clay Center Cemetery, Clay Center, Clay, Nebraska, Plot: Block 16 Lot 25; m. Ada Mae Bavinger (27 Oct 1876 Bradford, Illinois – 1961 in Clay, Nebraska).
Physician. In his 1917 draft registration, James Oscar was a doctor in Clay Center, Clay, Nebraska. In 1987 lived at Clay Center, Neb. In 1934 lived at Clay Center, Neb
James Oscar Latta, physician and surgeon, was born at Plattsmouth, Nebraska, August 9, 1877, son of William Edmundson and Sarah Lee (Current) Latta. William Latta, whose parents were Ohioans, was born at Cincinnati, July 22, 1854. Now a retired farmer, he was for fifteen years in the mercantile, grain and implement business. His wife was a native of Indiana, born June 4, 1856, and until recently assisted her husband in his business.
Dr. Latta was graduated from Kenesaw High School in 1896, and from the medical department of Cotner University on April 2, 1902. For two years, 1900 and 1901, he was captain of the Cotner football team. [Cotner College is a former school located in present-day Lincoln, Nebraska. It was sometimes known as Cotner University. The school was affiliated with the Disciples of Christ (Christian) churches. The school started in 1889 as Nebraska Christian University and the last class graduated in 1933. Although it was always small and struggling, it was ambitious. It taught medicine, business, and dentistry. A normal school department taught teachers. Other programs trained many missionaries and ministers.]
On January 20, 1904, he was married to Ada Mae Bavinger at Clay Center. Mrs. Latta, who was born at Bradford, Illinois, October 27, 1876, was a stenographer prior to marriage. There are two children, Inez Mae, born November 25, 1906; and William Mitchell, born November 11, 1920. Inez Mae was graduated from the University of Nebraska in 1928, taught three years, and attended summer school at Columbia University the summer of 1931. She is teaching at Grand Island High School.
A Republican, Dr. Latta has been physician to the board of insanity of Clay County since 1908, was a member of the city council 1908-17, mayor of Clay Center, 1917-20, and county physician 1902-16, and 1924. From 1903-12, he was treasurer of the Clay County Telephone Company. During the World War, Dr. Latta was chairman of the conservation board for Clay Center.
Among his professional, civic and fraternal organizations are the following: Clay County, Nebraska and American Medical Associations (president Clay County 1910, secretary since 1924), Seventh District Medical Society (president), Chamber of Commerce (board member six years), Lions Club (chairman of activities committee). He is a Scottish Rite Mason and Shriner, a Knight of Pythias, Woodman of the World, Modern Woodman of America, Yeoman, and the Royal Highlanders. His club is the Clay Center Country, of which he is president. Golf, hunting, baseball and football are his favorite sports, while his hobby is mechanics. Residence: Clay Center.
In the 1920 census, James was a doctor in Lone Tree, Clay, Nebraska.
iii. Robert Bruce Latta (9 Apr 1883 – 18 Feb 1885)
4. James Thompson Latta
James’ wife Mary Adeline Peaks was born 18 Dec 1863 in Colchester, Delaware, New York. Her parents were Eleazer Homer Peak (1821 – 1873) and Mary Miller Holmes (1825 – 1869). Mary died 2 Dec 1939 in Brush, Morgan, Colorado.
Children of James and Mary :
i. Neva Irene Latta (20 Dec 1890 Fresno County, California – 24 Dec 1968 Alhambra, California) m. Kingsley Lee Kniss (abt 1886 Rock Bluff? Nebraska – 18 Feb 1959 Los Angeles)
Children: Robert & James.
In the 1920 census, Neva had moved back to Murray, Cass, Nebraska and was living with her great uncle Samuel Glenn Latta and his son James P Latta. Samuel and James were working as plumbers. In the 1930 census, Neva was married to Kingsley and working as a school teacher in Alhambra, California. Kingsley was working as a mail carrier.
ii. Margaret Eunice Latta (30 May 1901 Fresno County, California – 11 Aug 1987 San Diego) m. R. Douglas Maw (abt 1901 California – ) His father was born in England and his mother in Scotland.
In the 1930 census, Douglas was a salesman for a music company in San Diego, California.
5. Mary Elizabeth Latta
Age 2 yrs 2 mos 3 days. Daughter of R.M. & L. Latta.
6. Samuel Foster Latta
Samuel married in 1892 to Ida Neal (abt 1870 Illinois – Aft. 1930 census Rock Bluffs, Cass, Nebraska.) Her father was born in Illinois and her mother in Tennessee.
In 1880, Samuel was a fifteen year old working on the farm of Harvey M. Roursavell in Liberty, Cass, Nebraska.
April 26, 1887, Samuel F. Latta, a nephew of Samuel Glen Latta “Uncle Sam,” was appointed postmaster. As these two men were in business together the office remained in the corner of the store building. Samuel F. Latta was born at Rock Bluffs, living there until the death of his mother five years later. He then lived with relatives until, at the age of 16, he was sent to Valparaiso, Ind., to school.
In 1910, Samuel and Ida were farmers in Union, Union, Illinois. In 1934 lived at Murray, Neb.
In the 1930 census, Samuel was managing a grain elevator in Rock Bluff, Nebraska. It doesn’t look like they had any children.
7. Dr. Elbert Johnston Latta
Elbert was born 11 Feb 1870 and his mother, Letitia, died seven days later. Elbert was a doctor in Cass County Nebraska for over 50 years and greatly loved by all. His mother died of child birth complications so he was brought up by his eldest sister, Calista Latta MINER. Uncle Bert was like a brother to the three Miner kids – Harvey, Anderson and Marion. Also called ” Albert”.
He married twice: 30 Sep 1896 to Blanche Smith And then between 1910 and 1917 to Mamie E Woodworth. Lived in Kenesaw, Neb. 1938 Physician at Hastings, Neb.
Blanche Smith was born about 1874 in Illinois. Her parents were John T. Smith and Mildred Ann Clark. She was still living in the 1910 census in Kenesaw, Adams, Nebraska.
Mamie E Woodworth was born 22 Sep 1886 in Illinois. Her parents were Milton Emery Woodworth (3 Nov 1862 in Wayne Co., Illinois – 10 Mar 1945 in Kenesaw, Nebraska) and Harriet Jane Wiltsey (26 Aug 1867 in Terre Haute, Indiana – ). Mamie died 15 May 1976 in Hastings, Adams, Nebraska.
Residence 1940 Hastings, Adams, Nebraska.
Children of Elbert and Blanche
i. Anna Letitia Latta (10 Aug 1897 – 13 Aug 1899)
ii. Mildred Latta (28 Feb 1900 – )
iii. Juanita Bess Latta (12 Jul 1902 Nebraska – 14 Nov 1983 Oxnard, Ventura, California); m1. Anson Brown Andrew (b. 3 Apr 1900 in Nemaha, Nebraska – d. 30 Oct 1965 in Fresno, California); m2. [__?__] South
In the 1930 census, Juanita and Anson lived in Fresno, where Anson was a window trimmer.
iv. Robert Smith Latta (May 20, 1906 Nebraska – 17 Sep 1987 Los Angeles); m. Bernetta Lancaster (20 May 1906 South Dakota – 18 Jul 1967 Los Angeles or Casper, Wyoming)
In the 1930 census, Robert and Bernetta were living in Beatrice, Gage, Nebraska where Robert was working as a public school teacher.
Children of Elbert and Mamie
v. Lois Lee Latta (24 Nov 1917 Nebraska – 10 Nov 1985 San Diego, California); m. [__?__] Matthew. Lois Matthew lived at 1437 Signal Ave, San Diego, CA, 92154
In the 1940 census, Lois was still living with her parents at 511 East 7th Street Hastings, Nebraska